HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:05 AM

The one thing I love about this whole Mueller project is that the control tower remained. Whoever came up with that idea is pure Genius, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:08 AM
Ya Dig!!

An Urban-Suburban neighborhood. I Like that the garages are in the back so it doesn't interfere with the pedestrians in the neighborhood walking on the sidewalks. But I wish the sidewalks were a bit wider. Hardly anyone can walk on those little things. They still did a pretty good job.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I took some time to see what the average house price is in Austin right now.... couldn't find it.... know it is in the mid 200's, right? Does anyone know how the prices at Mueller compare to the Austin average? Seems like they stacked the deck with a good bit of properties that are at or below the average in Austin. But heck. with that location, I couldn't imagine expecting to find things much below the average, cause the average property does not have that location! ( well, I guess if you want be close to the center of town!)
The median price in Austin was 180k in Feb:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ighth_con.html

IMHO, the Mueller development seems overpriced vs what you can get in other parts of central Austin with less neighborhood risk.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
The median price in Austin was 180k in Feb:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ighth_con.html

IMHO, the Mueller development seems overpriced vs what you can get in other parts of central Austin with less neighborhood risk.
What other central Austin neighborhoods are you referring to?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
What other central Austin neighborhoods are you referring to?
Sorry.. just ignore my post. After reviewing the Mueller prices, and the current central Austin prices, I couldn't really come up with a cheaper alternative (especially newbuild).

I do think the Mueller prices are a great deal if you can qualify for the "affordable" plans, but buying one of the 3000 sq ft plans at the current price there without seeing how that neighborhood builds out seems risky.

I don't love the location either since it still means lots of time spent on I-35. So, if something can be had more in central Austin at a comparative or close to comparative price, I'd choose the central Austin property.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:28 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

these are great photos Mopacs....like the way this is turning out!

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
I've been out to Mueller a bunch of times in the past months. I _REALLY_ want to move there. The only problem is that you can't really get in there without about $260k. That's for a pretty small crappy home. If you want anything fairly nice you need to have at the minimum $300k. What's interesting though is that if you go out to Kyle, Buda, Cedar Park, or Round Rock you can get a house twice the size for the same amount of money. Must be location, because there are no good ways of getting into town from the suburbs (M1EK can attest to this I'm sure!)
Not to pick a nit, but I think the $260 homes are 1700-1800sf. That's a pretty good sized home. I'd say anything over that is large. Yes I know suburban houses have exploded in size in recent years, but that doesn't make 1800sf "small" anymore than a Taurus is a compact car because it's smaller than a Hummer...

IMHO, of course.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hugh range! Look at the Mueller site for all details. As part of the land deal, 25% are "affordable" housing. As low as $100,000. THe "David Weekley" homes are the most economical, starting in the upper 2oo's for 1500 and up sq ft. On the upper end.... there are some 3000+ sq ft homes that start at $700,000. These are in the minority. (But you can tell the difference in quality of construction, and finishes.) Everything felt solid, though materials varied widely. Check out the site at

muelleraustin.com
Nothing as low as $100k in the first phase, I think the affordable row houses were in the $120s. The biggest flaw at Mueller IMO is The Gap, where if you make 80% of MFI plus $1 you are booted out of the affordable program, but the price jump is about $100k. The effect is to effectively ban middle class families from Mueller.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
Nothing as low as $100k in the first phase, I think the affordable row houses were in the $120s. The biggest flaw at Mueller IMO is The Gap, where if you make 80% of MFI plus $1 you are booted out of the affordable program, but the price jump is about $100k. The effect is to effectively ban middle class families from Mueller.
Yep and if you want to live there comfortably you really need $400k or so. I've been in several of the homes that are ~$250 - $300 or so and they are 37 feet wide. The 1700-1800sq/ft you get is cram packed and the floor plans suffer because of it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Its intriguing to speculate what might occupy the former control tower. I'd love to see the top floor opened to the public in some form... as an observation deck or a restaurant. The lower floors were occupied by FAA offices as I recall.. there's possibilities there too.

I'm also curious about the base of the tower, where the terminal building used to be. Perhaps a new structure will surround the bare concrete base? The project maps seem to indicate the tower will be situated within a park setting. I guess we'll see. Lots of opportunities there.
Even though it's not "officially" open to the public as an observation deck, an adventuresome couple made their way to the tower, went inside and up through it to the top and posted the video on Youtube.

It was added in January, 2008 and looks to be taken right around then as the "Noel" Christmas decoration is visible on the outside of the tower.

It's filthy inside, there's a turd and a dead bird and other crap in the stairwells near the top and lots of old paperwork in boxes and binders just scattered around. The whole thing is 7:53 and they don't get to the top until the last minute or so.

You also get occasional glimpses of Mueller construction on the way up and just before they make it into the top of the tower, they're on the outside part just below and you get a couple of quick looks at the skyline far off in the distance.

Video Link

posted by mancrushonporter

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 6:50 AM
Meh

^ Very, very cool.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 11:34 PM

ha, so the tower is basically open then?? well not publicly but anyone can 'basically' get in?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 1:06 PM

It's open to animals apparently.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:27 AM
still here

Very nice slick looking development.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 9:04 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post

An Urban-Suburban neighborhood. I Like that the garages are in the back so it doesn't interfere with the pedestrians in the neighborhood walking on the sidewalks. But I wish the sidewalks were a bit wider. Hardly anyone can walk on those little things. They still did a pretty good job.
this is really pretty.

but does it promote "walkability" any more than traditional neighborhoods with garages in front? i have to wonder if this doesn't actually make the neighborhood less friendly, since everyone will be sneaking in and out of the backs of their homes - how will anyone ever meet their neighbors?

i dont know - maybe i'm just being a cynic, but wider sidewalks would do much more for me than alley garages...then again i don't even have a garage (it is a rented out cottage) so what do i know?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:52 AM

no front yards? .... i am guessing not much of a back yard either.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalgeNyus View Post
no front yards? .... i am guessing not much of a back yard either.
how'd you guess?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 6:49 PM

W00T! I'm getting a home here! YAY!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 11:22 PM

looks cool!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 4:28 AM
giggity giggity goo

Looks like Austin is following the same concept that Denver is, using abandoned airports for redevelopment.

Are there any stores or offices within walking distance?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin