HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ I don't really see any of those names coming to that location. Btw Kohl's is already less than a mile away to the north. That said, it's hard to think of many department store names (other than 2 that you mentioned) that are gung ho for expansion these days. What would make sense is one of those standalone departments of the department stores -- like the Bloomingdale's furniture/home at the Medinah or a Macy's equivalent or something like that. Although by now Clybourn has more furniture stores than Western had automobile dealerships, sheesh.

-----------------------

Don't know if this link was ever posted before, but it does have a PDF datestamped just 3 days ago available for download.

http://www.esquireonoak.com/

One example of some info on the site:
http://www.esquireonoak.com/images/2...-Elevation.jpg

That's definitely new. They are working hard on this building now. I snapped a couple photos the other day. It's cool seeing those areas now at double height. I really like the idea of greening up the building on the upper floors. I hope they follow through with that on the design. I also hope there will be an outdoor bar on that rooftop.

Last edited by Rizzo; Apr 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:47 AM
TL;DR

This project just keeps getting worse... at least in the earlier version they were going to save some of the red granite to make a "window" on the upper terrace, which I thought was a fairly clever counterpart to Pereira's design even if the storefronts are to be given over to retailers. Now that's gone, and they've even removed the red granite from behind the Esquire sign because I guess Del Frisco's didn't like the color.

And then they're planning to do hanging planters on the scalloped brick wall? Why bother to even keep the sign?

One of the renderings even shows a fake townhouse facade plastered on the front, apparently since the developers are all too happy to build one if some preppy clothier like Ralph Lauren or Jack Wills or something comes along.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:28 AM

4/22:

Burberry:

Can't wait to see the cladding go up on this one!

Jones College Prep:

Future stairwell?

Oh, and you know that embarrassing feeling when you run into someone in public wearing the same shirt/bag/hat/etc? Had a similar thing happen to me today while driving to get these shots...

(This terrible picture doesn't do it justice)

Saw this Ferrari, a Maserati, and GTR in the Loop all within 30 minutes. A nice way to end the day.

Last edited by markh9; Apr 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:11 PM

Jones and the Burberry store are probably two of the most "different" (or exciting imo) buildings going into the central area right now. I don't know if their size (and purpose) says anything about the state of the economy or state of architecture, but I can't wait to see them finished. Really great fashion houses have had architecturally great stores for a while now (like the Herzog & De Meuron or Rem Koolhaas Prada stores or CBJ apple stores et al. that I can't think of) and institutions of learning (usually colleges -like Roosevelt's tower) have done great buildings. I guess towers are rarely used for "experimentation" (like aqua, marina city) except in times of desperation (marina city) or boom years (aqua).
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Last edited by ChiPhi; Apr 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
Oh, and you know that embarrassing feeling when you run into someone in public wearing the same shirt/bag/hat/etc? Had a similar thing happen to me today while driving to get these shots...

Oh, that was you? You should've said hello.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:34 PM

Steel going up at Roosevelt fitness center on Wabash and Congress.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Oh, that was you? You should've said hello.
DAMN! You beat me to it!

QUESTION: is there a newer version of the Jones High School, or is it the same as that rendering from a year or two ago?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:29 AM

While looking for an answer to your question, I came across this article in A|N from last February.

Had we seen the rendering of the back?

Looks gorgeous from all angles.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:29 PM

^^^ It looks like that article features both color combinations (the one with and the one without the orange). Does anyone know if a final decision has been made regarding the color?
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
DAMN! You beat me to it!
Great minds drink alike!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^ It looks like that article features both color combinations (the one with and the one without the orange). Does anyone know if a final decision has been made regarding the color?
If I know Perkins+Will, and I think I do, it is likely they will make it all white. The more recent renderings I've seen only included the all white paneling.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:30 PM

^^^I can't decide which I prefer. I think that both will look nice, and I think I would be happy either way.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:47 PM
you know where I'll be

3030 N. Broadway Propsal

Actually I'm not sure if I have the address right, but I'm wondering if anybody here knows if the new VDT-designed plan for a Mariano's-anchored retail/residential project for the old Dominick's site in Lakeview is moving forward through the approval process......has their been much unreasonable reaction from NIMBY pressure groups like there has been for the project proposed at the Ihop site? Fantastic infill for sure on both projects, the 3030 designs that were seen a few months ago is not VDT's best work though, hoping they can refine it a bit before final....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:00 PM

edit

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Oh, fuck yeah... This is better than what I remember.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:53 PM

3030 N Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Actually I'm not sure if I have the address right, but I'm wondering if anybody here knows if the new VDT-designed plan for a Mariano's-anchored retail/residential project for the old Dominick's site in Lakeview is moving forward through the approval process......has their been much unreasonable reaction from NIMBY pressure groups like there has been for the project proposed at the Ihop site? Fantastic infill for sure on both projects, the 3030 designs that were seen a few months ago is not VDT's best work though, hoping they can refine it a bit before final....
3030 was tied up in some legal drama...
"The Alderman’s office has been told by the city law department that the proposed development at 3030 N. Broadway is on hold until the city’s differences with the Davis group have been resolved. Consequently there will NOT be any advisory vote on this project by SELVN until the hold is removed. A representative from the Alderman’s office will be at the March 12 SELVN meeting and if there is additional information available he will provide an update"

But from the minutes of the last SELVN meeting it seems to be moving ahead with a slight height reduction, I heard one floor...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxyo...aHM/edit?pli=1

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:32 PM
The City

City Council Approves Infrastructure Trust

^ This may go down in history as a great moment in moving Chicago forward, or a giant blunder for which taxpayers will pay the price for decades

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This project just keeps getting worse... at least in the earlier version they were going to save some of the red granite to make a "window" on the upper terrace, which I thought was a fairly clever counterpart to Pereira's design even if the storefronts are to be given over to retailers. Now that's gone, and they've even removed the red granite from behind the Esquire sign because I guess Del Frisco's didn't like the color.

And then they're planning to do hanging planters on the scalloped brick wall? Why bother to even keep the sign?

One of the renderings even shows a fake townhouse facade plastered on the front, apparently since the developers are all too happy to build one if some preppy clothier like Ralph Lauren or Jack Wills or something comes along.
Most of the time those retailers want their own facade on the building as part of the lease agreement. Sprinkles was a coordination nightmare because of this.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:21 PM
TL;DR

Well, at least the Sprinkles facade turned out very nicely - the dark brick is simple, appropriate for Chicago and even kinda muscular (oddly for a cupcake shop). I don't remember what the building looked like before that, though.

I'd even resign myself to a townhouse facade if it was an individual building... but to paste it onto a larger building that clearly is NOT a townhouse? It's insanely tacky and Disneyish. Fortunately the two westernmost spaces in Esquire have been filled, and it looks like both tenants (Louboutin and Buccellati) have chosen a slick structural glass facade for their spaces.

Can I also say I'm disappointed with Perkins + Will if they've dropped the reddish-orange paint on Jones HS? That paint tied it into the neighborhood by referencing the brick of neighboring buildings. Chicago buildings have been very afraid of color lately....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, at least the Sprinkles facade turned out very nicely - the dark brick is simple, appropriate for Chicago and even kinda muscular (oddly for a cupcake shop). I don't remember what the building looked like before that, though.

I'd even resign myself to a townhouse facade if it was an individual building... but to paste it onto a larger building that clearly is NOT a townhouse? It's insanely tacky and Disneyish. Fortunately the two westernmost spaces in Esquire have been filled, and it looks like both tenants (Louboutin and Buccellati) have chosen a slick structural glass facade for their spaces.

Can I also say I'm disappointed with Perkins + Will if they've dropped the reddish-orange paint on Jones HS? That paint tied it into the neighborhood by referencing the brick of neighboring buildings. Chicago buildings have been very afraid of color lately....
The original building was a tan postmodernish building. Nothing all that great. The sprinkles facade was a welcome improvement over the tan monotony in that area. Problem was, they divided this building. The other half is grey painted plywood. I wouldn't mind if the city permitted large banner advertising over these temporary facades. Something needs to be done with that vacant space in the meantime.

I doubt the Esquire facade will have that brick townhouse. I imagine it's a placeholder to emphasize variety. Though I really don't care for it either. Like fashion, Oak Street should be going above and beyond in architecture....and catering to international tastes. I'm sure my neighbors share similar preferences; The street should balance between preserving the existing 19th century building stock alongside ultra-modern design. The last thing I want to see is economical design. The presence of international shoppers is huge. The buildings need to make a statement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development