HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 10:23 PM

filmed in vancouver

how about a threrad for things we find filmed here

check out out how they drive the wrong way on the georgia viaduct

this commercial airs in the states - just saw it on peachtree TV

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 7:49 AM

"Passengers" (2008) movie, starring Anne Hathaway. The film was of course filmed in Vancouver and the plot was in Vancouver.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=TUAJM1C6

It features a ton of Vancouver "iconic" shots, especially in the last minute of the movie....even an aerial of downtown Vancouver from Grouse Mountain, and the entire skyline from a boat in Burrard Inlet....and various UBC and Spanish Banks shots, the port, YVR, and many more.

I should add that it was a terrible movie.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:45 PM
Dérive-r

I remember seeing those plane bits when they were filming. I had no idea what film it was for though. Thanks for the review mr.x2. Even though it was terrible I'm going to have to watch it now just for the pretty Vancouver shots.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:50 PM

The Day the Earth Stood Still was a bad movie but it was fun for all of the SFU shots plus other Vancouver locations. You could see my apartment in it when they were at Deer Lake and the Metrotown skyline is in the background.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:52 PM

When I was in Europe I watched a really horrible movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger that was filmed in Downtown and at SFU...along with aerial shots flying from Grouse Mtn to Downtown and back. I think it is called "The 6th day."

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:53 PM

Fantastic 4 is the funniest because they are suppose to be traveling throughout the world but it is all in the lower mainland.

On a bad note, it appears that the X-men franchise has left our area and the new Wolverine movie was filmed in New Zealand. Time for a side rant, what bugs me about movies filmed in New Zealand is that they openly advertise that it is filmed in New Zealand, on the DVD extras will be countless references to the local area, on tv they will advertise the scenery etc... But if you ever watch the DVD extras on movies filmed here they never give a mention to any of the local areas. ugh, done, hehe.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:55 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^yeah, that was The 6th Day. it was on Peachtree TV not that long ago either. i watched just to see all the Vancouver in the background.

its kind of the same reason why i'm hooked on DaVinci's Inquest

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
When I was in Europe I watched a really horrible movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger that was filmed in Downtown and at SFU...along with aerial shots flying from Grouse Mtn to Downtown and back. I think it is called "The 6th day."
Yup, that's the name of the movie. The Sixth Day. They did shots with crowds inside BC Place, outside GM Place, central library, Lions Gate Bridge, the skyline, UBC, and much more.

Then there's that Agent Cody Banks movie....terrible movie really obviously....but they filmed in Lonsdale, and SFU was used as the FBI headquarters.

And then there are the two Fantastic 4 movies. The first one was pretty good, with the Marine Building, the intersection right outside of Bentall 4, UBC, etc. and then in the second movie they tried to disguise the parkade near Gastown as Shanghai. It looked nothing like Shanghai.

AND then there's Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx.....with ridiculous shots of "NYC" having mountains and an inflatable domed stadium (hovercraft scene).

I could mention so many more.....there's Anti-Trust with Ryan Phillippe, they used SFU as a software development campus. The high school scenes in Final Destination 3 were shot in my old high school, and the candle vigil thingy was where we had our trophies and grad pictures and stuff. There's also the Scary Movie series, with the fourth movie featuring a Vancouver skyline shot in the final minutes (even though it was supposedly America).

Then there's the terrible Scooby Doo movies, Things We Lost In The Fire featuring Halle Berry, Jumanji with Robbin Williams (didn't they use the pond lake at the PNE?), Juno, 88 Minutes with Al Pacino (tons of UBC and downtown shots), Alien vs. Predator Requiem (Port Coquitlam was nuked ), the Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher, Deck the HAlls,.....

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 9:04 PM

2012 is filmed here, so we will have to watch that one when it comes out.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 9:17 PM

And how could we forget I, Robot? :p The only Vancouver film in recent memory that managed to be nominated for the Academy Awards. When will this city produce an Oscar???

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 9:56 PM
testify

vancouver can claim a lot of terrible movies. i recently made the foolish decision to sit in on a film called 'paycheck'. it was neat to see all the vancouver locations, but it was an awful film, made that much more ludicrous by the fact that i knew most of the locations (and that some locations that were supposed to be different were just different parts of the same building).

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 10:11 PM

there was a movie with jodie foster i think it was and she was suppossed to be walking along the shore of Seattle and she was in stanley park on the beach and the north shore mountains are right there in the shot

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 11:00 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
And how could we forget I, Robot? :p The only Vancouver film in recent memory that managed to be nominated for the Academy Awards. When will this city produce an Oscar???
Legends of the Fall?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 5:59 AM

Anyone seen Edison Force with Kevin Spacey, Justin Timberlake, Morgan Freeman, etc...? It's a cop corruption movie based on a made-up city called Edison but all the skyline shots are Vancouver-based including many iconic Van-city shots like Harbour Centre, the convention centre, etc. The movie was just alright I guess despite having a decent cast.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:07 AM

Anyone remember "Intersection" with Richard Gere and Sharon Stone? "Underworld: Evolution" was also filmed in Vancouver. Lastly I can remember "Blade Trinity" featuring the old Expo 86 McDonald's barge as the protagonist's turf (don't ask me why?).

One other thing I noticed in Vancouver shot movies is the over tendency to shoot movie scenes in Vancouver's north shore coniferous forest, as if the audience had never seen a forest before (one culprit for this was X-men: Last stand).

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed View Post
Anyone seen Edison Force with Kevin Spacey, Justin Timberlake, Morgan Freeman, etc...? It's a cop corruption movie based on a made-up city called Edison but all the skyline shots are Vancouver-based including many iconic Van-city shots like Harbour Centre, the convention centre, etc. The movie was just alright I guess despite having a decent cast.
Rotten Tomatoes gives the movie 00%.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 7:54 PM
David

a movie i have loved since i was a kid starring the olsen twins, "To Grandmother's House We Go" was filmed here and features a lot of great shots of Vancouver in the early 90s. it was filmed in 1992, and there are lots of great shots of the West End, the downtown core (especially the area around the art gallery), the north shore, and some obvious skyline shots. They even filmed a scene at the old Chuck E Cheese in Burnaby!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 9:00 PM

The Never Ending Story has an awesome shot at the end of the movie where you can plainly see Harbour Center. Jumanji was another good one filmed in Vancouver/Maple Ridge. The department store they destroy is Liquidation World in Maple Ridge.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 10:41 PM

Who filmed what here in 2008?

We round up the past year's local film and television shoots

Glen Schaefer
The Province

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Some Vancouver actors are heading to this January's Sundance Film Festival with a film they wrapped last January, the drama Helen starring Ashley Judd and Goran Visnjic.

Judd stars in German director Sandra Nettelbeck's movie as a psychiatrist battling depression. Canadians Lauren Lee Smith, Alexia Fast and Ali Liebert are among the supporting cast, and they'll be joining Judd in Utah for Helen's premiere. The movie was among a diverse collection of smaller-budget features filming in and around Vancouver last year, jostling for locations and crew with the mega-movies and TV series.

Here's how Vancouver's star meter ticked over during the year:

- - -

Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart showed up in January for a two-month shoot on the romantic drama Traveling, in which she plays a flower-seller and he's a widowed self-help author. Aniston's Vancouver work trip was part of a whirlwind year that took her to Miami afterwards for Marley & Me and then to L.A. for He's Just Not That Into You. How does she find the time to get the abs in shape for all those magazine covers?

- - -

A couple of 2008 mega-movies were already rolling as 2008 began. Watchmen started mid-September 2007 and continued until mid-February on sets that included several blocks of a New York streetscape built in south Burnaby. The dark comic-book adaptation is one of the most anticipated movies of 2009, set for a March 6 release.

"I guess for me, first of all, Watchmen is the work that made intellectual, thinking deep thoughts OK in a comic," director Zack Snyder (300) mused on set. "It made it OK to be an adult and read a comic, or at least perceive yourself as, look, I'm literate, I read Watchmen."

That movie will be looking to cross over from fans of the cult-hit graphic novel to the mainstream.

"I can't help but want people to love what we're doing," said actor Patrick Wilson, among the art-house ensemble playing the movie's self-doubting superheroes. "You want to bring in people who haven't seen [the comic book]."

The movie uses a mix of CGI and real sets to create a gritty 1980s New York that mixes fantasy locales and superheroes with real figures from recent history.

- - -

The Day the Earth Stood Still, currently in theatres, started work at Vancouver Film Studios in December and wrapped mid-March. Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly and Jaden Smith starred in the remake about an inscrutable alien who sparks a global panic. No point guessing who plays the alien. Simon Fraser University had an extended cameo as a military facility, and Jaden's superstar dad Will was a frequent set visitor.

- - -

Director Chris Carter and stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson came back to Vancouver at the beginning of the year after years away, for the feature X Files: I Want to Believe. Duchovny hit it off so well with supporting player Callum Keith Rennie that he invited the Vancouver actor to L.A. to join him on the second season of his sexy Showtime TV series Californication. I Want to Believe was in theatres last July, a quick turnaround by feature film

standards.

- - -

No word on a North American release date yet for Personal Effects, a smaller scale drama with Michelle Pfeiffer and Ashton Kutcher that wrapped two months filming last January. SFU was a popular site for the movie folk this year -- Personal Effects, about an ex-wrestler trying to solve a murder, spent several days atop Burnaby Mountain as well, filming wrestling scenes.

- - -

Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp slipped in and out of Vancouver separately early in the year to film scenes for director Terry Gilliam's fantasy The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Star Heath Ledger died after filming exteriors in London on the movie. When the production moved to Vancouver, the superstar trio stepped in to play versions of Ledger's character after Gilliam rewrote his script.

- - -

On the TV production side, the year started off with a grinding halt as a half-dozen series suspended production in January due to the U.S. writers' strike. The writers went back to their laptops by mid-February, and the TV scene was humming within weeks.

Unscathed by the strike was the sci-fi series Stargate: Atlantis, with a mostly Canadian writing staff. That show filmed its last season this year, and the producers are launching a new series, Stargate: Universe, next year. Amanda Tapping, the Canadian who starred in 10 years of the original Stargate SG-1 and guest-starred frequently in Atlantis, moved on to the entirely Canadian-produced Sanctuary, a paranormal series about an ageless monster-hunter. Sanctuary starts its second season early in the new year.

One series that didn't last the year was Men In Trees, the cancelled ABC romance starring Anne Heche and Canadian James Tupper alongside a mostly Canadian supporting cast. Off-screen couple Heche and Tupper kept their place in West Vancouver, though, and hosted a summer farewell party for the cast and crew.

TV's Battlestar Galactica, which wrapped four seasons this year with a feature-length TV movie, had an especially strong contingent of Canadian actors in its ensemble, with X-Files' Rennie joined by Grace Park, Michael Hogan, Tricia Helfer and several others playing either humans or their cyborg enemies.

"We did the M.O.W., the webisodes, then they took everything down," said Park of the popular show's farewell. "Everything's been catalogued, it's going for sale, it's done. You'd have to rebuild everything."

It was a fond farewell. Park has gone on to multiple jobs in Vancouver, L.A. and Toronto as have a number of her co-stars similarly boosted by the show's success.

- - -

Have the U.S. networks gotten over their snobbery about hiring Canadians for feature TV roles? Sure looks like it -- Reaper, Smallville, Kyle XY, The L Word and the new show Harper's Island also feature substantial recurring roles for Canadians.

Meanwhile a Canadian cast got to play Canadians in the second season of Global's coast guard adventure series The Guard, filmed on and around Howe Sound.

- - -

Back on the movie front, some of the players behind the Vancouver-filmed Juno came back to the city last spring to make Jennifer's Body, a horror comedy penned by Oscar-winning Juno writer Diablo Cody. Megan Fox stars as a man-eating zombie cheerleader, with Adam Brody as a musician who sells his soul to the devil.

Also in on the cheerleader action was Heroes star Hayden Panettiere, whose high-school comedy I Love You, Beth Cooper was filming across the North Shore Studios lot from Jennifer's Body. Panettiere's director was Harry Potter's Chris Columbus, back in Home Alone territory: "I'd forgotten how much I love doing comedy."

The intimate family drama Dim Sum Funeral filmed in a Surrey mansion for a month in the spring with stars Talia Shire, Bai Ling and Vancouver's Steph Song in a story about estranged adult siblings. The movie had its North American premiere close to home, at this month's Whistler Film Festival.

Another smaller movie going to camera in spring 2008 was the teen thriller Deep Cove, starring Hayley Duff and Aaron Ashmore. Toronto's Ashmore couldn't get away from Vancouver this year, what with his recurring role as Jimmy Olsen on Smallville and another thriller, the Canadian-produced ecological drama The Thaw, filmed in the summer in Williams Lake and Surrey with Song, Superbad's Martha MacIsaac and Val Kilmer.

Another Canadian-produced feature that headed up-country this summer was Cole, which took an up-and-coming cast (Sonja Bennett, Kandyse McClure, Richard de Klerk and Michael Eisner) to Lytton for some small-town drama.

- - -

From May to September, Ben Stiller was back in town reprising his role as a security guard in the kids fantasy Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian. Amy Adams joined him as aviator Amelia Earhart, a museum exhibit come to life. Hundreds of workers spent weeks building the movie's elaborate sets in Burnaby's Mammoth Studios and a ship hangar in North Vancouver

When Stiller's crew were finished with that cavernous North Van hangar, John Cusack, director Roland Emmerich and crew took it over in July as one of the sets for their end-of-the-world epic 2012. That movie also used Ashcroft exteriors and finished filming in mid-December on a budget estimated at close to $200 million US.

Wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne Johnson showed up in September with Ashley Judd, Julie Andrews and Billy Crystal for the kids' movie Tooth Fairy, abut a pro hockey player who gets a magical new assignment. Apparently Johnson can't skate, so he was pushed around the ice at the University of B.C.'s Thunderbird Arena on a little sled. We'll see how it turned out when the movie opens Nov. 13.

The kids-movie spy sequel Cats and Dogs: the Revenge of Kitty Galore had animals battling for control of the world through the fall at Vancouver's City Hall, Playland and soundstage sets in south Burnaby.

Back at the smaller end of the budget scale, last September Erika Christensen and Jesse Metcalfe played grieving parents looking for revenge in The Tortured. That movie took advantage of the Vancouver Art Gallery's third-floor heritage courtroom.

Another smaller movie was Frankie and Alice, which brought frequent visitor Halle Berry back to Vancouver to star as a woman with multiple personalities.

Canadian writer-director Sook-Yin Lee came to Maple Ridge for her feature debut, the comic drama Year of the Carnivore starring U.S. actor Cristin Milioti and Canadians Will Sasso and Ali Liebert.

- - -

It was a slow year for Canadian-created TV series in Vancouver, but that's likely to change in the new year with two promising pilots in the can. Writer-producer Brent Butt created Hiccups, which stars his wife and Corner Gas co-star Nancy Robertson as a grumpy children's author, while writer Rick Drew and producers Debra and Hugh Beard joined forces to make the crime drama Shattered, which stars the popular Callum Keith Rennie as a traumatized ex-cop whose various personalities team up to catch bad guys.

As the year ended a couple of features were continuing work into January: The martial arts vid-game adaptation King of Fighters, starring Maggie Q and Ray Park; and director Joe Dante's 3-D family thriller The Hole.

Dante isn't sure what's next for him when this movie wraps in February, but it probably means time away from his L.A. home. "I have only worked in Vancouver for the past 10 years, except for one movie in Hollywood," he said on his Richmond soundstage. "It's just the way the business is."

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...7-815d0c4b8667

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 11:00 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
The kids-movie spy sequel Cats and Dogs: the Revenge of Kitty Galore had animals battling for control of the world through the fall at Vancouver's City Hall, Playland and soundstage sets in south Burnaby.
ahh yes, i remember this one playing havoc on the transit here in North Vancouver as several parts of Lonsdale were re-routed for production. I also remember having all the signs being replaced for San Francisco for the week or two it was filming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion