HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:53 PM
National Capital Region

1040 Somerset St | 99m | 30f | U/C

first details on height.. been looking forward to this one

Claridge proposes 39-storey, 338-unit condo tower for 1040 Somerset (@ Breezehill) on CompuCorps property. #Ottawa #Hintonburg #Ottbiz
https://twitter.com/peterkovessy/sta...20154053316608

The architect is aA according to HCA's devwatch http://hintonburg.com/devwatch.html... hopefully we'll see some renders soon

edit: first renders posted http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...2&postcount=27

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Nov 27, 2022 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
first details on height.. been looking forward to this one

Claridge proposes 39-storey, 338-unit condo tower for 1040 Somerset (@ Breezehill) on CompuCorps property. #Ottawa #Hintonburg #Ottbiz
https://twitter.com/peterkovessy/sta...20154053316608

The architect is aA according to HCA's devwatch http://hintonburg.com/devwatch.html... hopefully we'll see some renders soon
Maybe they'll get their own O-Train stop?
That is the lot between the dollar store and the tracks, right?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:15 PM

correct.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The architect is aA according to HCA's devwatch
some sharp-looking stuff in their portfolio.
http://www.architectsalliance.com/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 8:06 PM

I highly doubt they would have their own O-train station as the site is approx 250 feet from the Bayview station, plus the supposed new station that the city talked about is further south closer to Gladstone (which makes sense as its more centrally located between Bayview and Carling).

What they could do on the other hand is a nice path for pedestrians and bike with a couple of benches and flower pots on the way so that people from the new tower could walk to the station for their commute. (Maybe make the developper pay for this in exchange for the height?)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 8:56 PM

aA was retained by Claridge for the Chapel project before that went pear shaped. Unfortunately this one isn't quite the show stopper that Chapel was, but it is definitely the typical aA glass condo tower. Very linear, and somewhat understated.

Mind you the drawings presented are I believe just for a rezoning app, so they are bound to change.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Claridge proposes 39-storey tower on Somerset

Mark Brownlee
Published on June 27, 2013

Local developer Claridge Homes has filed plans with the city to build a 39-storey condo tower just west of Little Italy.

The proposal calls for the tower to be built on a four-storey podium at 1040 Somerset St. W., at the southeast corner of Breezehill Avenue North, near the O-Train corridor.

There would be 2,200 square feet of retail space on the ground floor with 338 homes above, according to documents city staff have sent to the councillor for the area.

The plan is also to put in 162 parking spaces as part of a seven-storey underground garage and 124 places for bikes inside the building.

Claridge is asking the city to change the land’s zoning. It currently only allows for 15 metres – about the equivalent of five storeys.

The Hintonburg Community Association is still examining the proposal but will probably ask the city to make it closer to 30 storeys, said Jeff Leiper, the organization’s president.

The area is not yet covered by a community design plan – agreements between developers, community members and the city that decide where tall buildings should be located – which removes one potential barrier to the development.

Claridge has already received approval for a 23-storey building on the other side of the street.
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Reside...-on-Somerset/1

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constructivism View Post
aA was retained by Claridge for the Chapel project before that went pear shaped. Unfortunately this one isn't quite the show stopper that Chapel was, but it is definitely the typical aA glass condo tower. Very linear, and somewhat understated.

Mind you the drawings presented are I believe just for a rezoning app, so they are bound to change.
Claridge hiring another notable Toronto architecture firm. I'm starting to wonder if they are trying to step up their game with the increasingly competitive condo market in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Claridge hiring another notable Toronto architecture firm. I'm starting to wonder if they are trying to step up their game with the increasingly competitive condo market in Ottawa.
After the Icon I thought so until they came out with the design of their Byward Market condo. It's not horrible, but it was a bit of a let down after some of their recent designs.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:24 AM

Hi guys - a quick warning that the Claridge info on our devwatch site is pretty old. Our pre-consult with the dev was a couple weeks ago and we've been pretty busy in the interim. What we saw was something like what you can see at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldef...7634333028928/ for the tower portion, with a much more modern - actually kind of exciting - podium.

It doesn't look at this point like it will have its own station, but they're looking at some ways to create some engagement with the MUP on the east side of the tracks. The docs are supposed to be up on dev apps within a week or so.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
After the Icon I thought so until they came out with the design of their Byward Market condo. It's not horrible, but it was a bit of a let down after some of their recent designs.
I forgot this came after. Selective memory I guess
I find this proposal horrible. As others have said before, the massing is very heavy on the condo tower. It looks so massive.

You would think they go all out for a project in the Byward Market. The location in and of itself is probably enough to sell units. Sad.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constructivism View Post

I agree somewhat, though I might say that architecturally it's a lot more interesting than any project Claridge has presented before.

Curious, were you at the zoning committee when Malhotra presented this project?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HintonburgCA View Post
Hi guys - a quick warning that the Claridge info on our devwatch site is pretty old. Our pre-consult with the dev was a couple weeks ago and we've been pretty busy in the interim. What we saw was something like what you can see at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldef...7634333028928/ for the tower portion, with a much more modern - actually kind of exciting - podium.

It doesn't look at this point like it will have its own station, but they're looking at some ways to create some engagement with the MUP on the east side of the tracks. The docs are supposed to be up on dev apps within a week or so.
I'm flattered that my photos were shared. Thanks!

As HintonburgCA can most likely attest, I was present at the pre-consultation, although I lost my package. The podium is actually very interesting for the area, especially as there might be a smaller plaza underneath that is at grade with Somerset Street (the lot is just below the street, actually). I'm a bit concerned that there won't be much continuity of façades along Somerset, as the first floor retail would be set back under the podium. I would like to see a bit more colour, which is a bit lacking with this project.

I'd love to see something like Mario Saia's colourful windows in Montreal's Palais des Congrès, something subtler like OCAD's entrance, or even a fun wall like a condo building/ Loblaws on Toronto's Queen Street West (this would be more interesting on Breezehill, just as this wall was off the main street in Toronto). The last image might seem a bit weird for this particular project, but something along the same lines would be fun for this building or as a great addition to Hintonburg.

Palais des Congrès by Shel DeF on Flickr

Palais des Congrès by Shel DeF on Flickr

OCAD by Shel DeF on Flickr

Glass wall by Shel DeF on Flickr

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Jun 28, 2013 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post

I like the hotel, but the condo is pretty horrible. Although it still beats Claridge Plaza.

The city should have demanded something much slimmer (with maybe 2-4 more floors) or something lower.

As for HintonburgCA's link; if the building looks like that, they have my support.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 10:40 PM

Agreed. This thing is too fat. Add whatever Phoenix builds next door on the honest lawyer site, which will inevitably be around the same height, and you just have this giant wall on this block that is what most of us hate about downtown Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 12:19 AM

I can't believe people are fighting the changes to the Union Canada building, added height and recladding, but they haven't said a thing about that monstrosity of a condo building. People's priorities are messed up.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 2:31 PM

Interesting discusssion but I think we're going off-topic. Union du Canada has its own thread.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 5:11 PM

We're talking about design trends of Claridge homes, not just the Union Canada building. We are only pointing inconsistencies in their designs with poorly done Claridge Plaza and Market condo next to Union Canada compared to much better projects such as Tribeca, Icon, the one that fell through on Rideau and Chapel and this one here, if it looks anything like what HintonburgCA showed us.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
They may be looking to hire out-of-city architects, but I'll be honest, they concept for the Icon is awful - especially assuming they paid a pretty penny for it. Across the way, the Soho Italia projects looks much better and they use local architect Roderick Lahey.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
They may be looking to hire out-of-city architects, but I'll be honest, they concept for the Icon is awful - especially assuming they paid a pretty penny for it. Across the way, the Soho Italia projects looks much better and they use local architect Roderick Lahey.
I personally don't dislike Icon, but I see how others might not be fond of it.

I agree then the new Italia design could be considered more esthetical pleasing to the masses, although the design certainly isn't original. Lahey, who usually designs dismal looking projects, had to inspire himself heavily by other well known projects such as Aqua in Chicago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa