HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:51 PM

From Morguard's website.

Quote:
350 Sparks Street is a 12-storey office building located in downtown Ottawa. Tenant will be steps away from the new Lyon Street LRT station. The building offers typical floor plate of 14,800 square feet with flexible term providing value for small organizations. Renovation plans call for enhancements to the lobby and common spaces including new retail at street level. A major redevelopment at the adjoining property will realize the first dual brand Hilton Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn in Ottawa and will deliver 344 guest rooms and 4,500 square feet of conference space and banquet facilities as well as full-service amenities.
https://morguardleasing.com/building...All&lang=en_CA

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:09 PM

From Hilton Garden Inn& Homewood Suites Ottawa Downtown twitter account. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

https://twitter.com/Hiltons_Ottawa/s...14956711616512

Past buy it Thursday. It's looking good. Great job refreshing the building while preserving the architectural uniqueness.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
From Hilton Garden Inn& Homewood Suites Ottawa Downtown twitter account. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

https://twitter.com/Hiltons_Ottawa/s...14956711616512

Past buy it Thursday. It's looking good. Great job refreshing the building while preserving the architectural uniqueness.
I agree. I really liked the original design and materials and was worried we would lose the entire character. This is a good compromise between a full reclad and reno.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 3:32 PM

Open?

Is this place open yet? I walked by Friday night and could see the lamps on in some of the rooms as well as staff working at the front desk just inside the Queen Street doors?

Though I think construction may still be going on other parts of the main floor.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 3:35 PM

This was posted 15 hours ago, so I believe so.

https://twitter.com/Hiltons_Ottawa/s...78876010979333

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:30 PM
You call that a knife?

Pics taken today (Jan 7 2019)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:53 PM
Busy Beaver

That light coloured stucco looks terrible against the brick and grey cladding. The sign on top of the building butting right against the side also looks bad especially with the materials clearly defining a visual margin.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:19 PM

I find it weird that the spandrels and windows of the shorter tower are different in the corners than the rest of the tower. I agree that they could have chosen something better than the white for the stucco bits. All in all though, I'm still liking this re-clad.

I wish they would have done a complete re-clad of the office tower.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:00 AM

I honestly have to say that the re-clad was poorly done. It looks like a modest upgrade over the previous product. IMO this remains an eyesore.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:18 PM

IMO this went from a 4/10 to maybe a 5 or 5.5/10.

Wonder how many millions they spent...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:53 PM

I wonder who paid for it, Morguard or Hilton.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 10:09 PM

Revamped Ottawa Hiltons ‘crown jewel’ of Morguard’s hotel portfolio: CEO

David Sali
OBJ
April 16, 2019

Sitting in a brightly lit restaurant at Ottawa’s newest downtown hotel property on Monday afternoon, Morguard CEO K. Rai Sahi was beaming like the father of a newborn.

“I’m so pleased to see the finished product,” he said during an interview with OBJ, referring to the pair of Hilton-branded lodgings his firm developed on Queen Street at the site of the former National Hotel.

“If you told somebody that we built it from scratch, they wouldn’t know the difference. It looks brand new.”

The new Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites Hilton in downtown Ottawa.

While Sahi was all smiles on Monday, the process of converting the 44-year-old pair of highrises into a Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites by Hilton didn’t happen without a few hiccups along the way.

When the project was announced in 2016, Morguard officials pegged the price tag at $30 million, but Sahi said Monday it ended up costing twice as much as initially expected. Still, he said he had no complaints.

“It’s basically almost a new building,” he said. “We went down to the bone.”

Several years ago, Morguard looked at demolishing the 10- and 17-storey hotel towers as well as the smaller office highrise next door and replacing them with a new hotel and apartment complex.

But Sahi said after doing the math, Morguard decided it didn’t make economic sense to construct rental units at the site. In addition, some tenants in the office tower still had nearly a decade remaining on their leases, meaning the company would have faced a long wait to tear down the building.

“We said we actually don’t have a choice. We can’t demolish the whole thing.”

Instead, the Mississauga-based real estate developer ​– which is Ottawa’s largest commercial landlord with more than five million square feet of property in the capital ​– decided to gut the two hotel towers and rebuild them. After considering several brands, they inked a deal with Hilton to turn the buildings into the chain’s first properties in downtown Ottawa.

It also marked the first time the iconic hotelier agreed to convert an existing building in Canada into a dual-branded property. Normally, Hilton prefers brand-new builds in such situations, but the chance to grab prime real estate in Ottawa’s core convinced the chain to make an exception, said Sanjay Rateja, Morguard’s vice-president of hotel operations.

Morguard now owns 39 hotel properties with a total of 6,000 guest rooms across the country. Hotels still make up only a small part of the firm’s overall operations, but Rateja said Ottawa’s newest Hiltons have pride of place in that growing portfolio.

“This is our crown jewel,” he said with a smile.​

Hilton’s arrival downtown comes in the midst of a mini-boom for Ottawa’s hotel industry, which has seen several new high-end properties open in the core over the past few years. Another 1,000 or so rooms are expected to be added to the city’s inventory over the next 12 months, but Rateja said he’s not worried the market is in any danger of becoming oversaturated.

“This was a slam dunk,” he said. “All the stats tell us we are going to do really well, and if it keeps on doing well, we’ll probably look at another opportunity for another hotel somewhere (in Ottawa).”

The 17-storey Homewood Suites property includes 171 extended-stay units, while the 10-storey Garden Inn features 175 rooms targeted at guests planning shorter visits. Amenities include about 5,000 square feet of meeting space along with a swimming pool and fitness centre.

The properties officially opened for business on Dec. 28. General manager Denis Gilles said the two hotels combined for an overall occupancy rate of about 65 per cent in February, an “extremely good” number for a property in just its second month of operation. Gilles said he’s predicting the hotels to be 80 per cent occupied in May and June.

Rateja said there is “huge demand for extended-stay business in Ottawa” for federal government clients and guests in other burgeoning sectors such as high-tech, adding he expects the shorter-stay tourism market to remain steady thanks to popular events such as Bluesfest at nearby LeBreton Flats.

“Ottawa, as we have seen over the years, has been doing better and better as far as hotel accommodations are concerned,” he said. “There are many more hotels coming, which is good for the city.”

https://obj.ca/index.php/article/rev...-portfolio-ceo

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 10:14 PM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 10:25 PM

They have pictures of the interiors on their website:

https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...DGI/index.html

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:48 AM

I actually liked it better before

I think the brick suited the architectural style. Was the brick in that bad of shape?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 1:56 AM

Agreed. The old brick look was better.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post

I think the brick suited the architectural style. Was the brick in that bad of shape?
I don’t think so, because in many places, they just covered it up.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:27 PM
inner city

I like how this one turned out. It looks fine.
People whine when something looks like a monotone box, and people whine when "light stucco" contrasts with darker adjacent panels.
You can't please everyone all the time without spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:37 PM

I agree. It looks fine. Better than the rendering. Provides more variety now that it's no longer identical to the apartment complex across the street.

Looks like they will redo the street frontage of the office building as well.They have some renderings in the window corner of Queen and Lyon.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 2:36 PM

I too liked the old brick look better, though it was a bit "bunkerish".

At the very least, the final product looks MUCH better than the renderings. All in all, not bad!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa