HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 6:16 AM

Vancouver in February - read'em and weep! (eastern Canada...)

I moved to Vancouver in September and have been pleasantly surprised by the discovery that it doesn't rain nearly as much non-Vancouverites say it does. This month and last have seen long stretches of sunny days, quite a few foggy days, but mostly dry days. The fall was another story, but still not the endless rain I had expected. December was snowy but I was out of town so I'm pretending that never happened. Seeing as we now seem to be on the cusp of spring (knock on wood), I went for a stroll two days ago through the West End, snapping a few shots of interesting buildings and signs of the awesome weather we've been enjoying.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 6:26 AM

Chicago may not be in eastern Canada, but I'm certainly weeping as I look at my window at snow covering everything and the thermometer reading 19F (-7C).

It certainly looks like you had a very pleasant day to enjoy some time outside.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 4:25 AM
urbanphotographerwannabe

Vancouver in February makes me very envious. Looks glorious. Enjoy!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 4:32 AM
Mac User

February is usually a nice month in Vancouver, a perfect time for the Olympics. This month has been extra nice and surprisingly mild. If next February is like this one then Vancouver will defiantly be hosting the warmest winter Olympics ever.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 9:30 AM

Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 3:02 AM

This last winter in Vancouver seemed unusually dry. Trust me those endless days of winter rain are not rumours...unless the last 15 years of rain have been the exception.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 4:03 AM

april sure has seemed dry - so much for April showers bring may flowers

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 4:22 AM
Vancouver User

This has been an unusually dry winter. The only thing we came close to (or did break) was with regards to snowfall in December IIRC.

That being said, there are always dry periods in the day.

Most runners or dog owners will know this. Others may not.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:43 PM
blog this

Great photo set, thanks.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:23 PM

Vancouverites should plant more palm trees because they just add to the landscape there. I like the ocean and palms trees at English Bay. We Torontonians have nothing like English Bay and there was sleet yesterday in North York. It snow on April 20th. We had an ice storm too this April. Our climates are sooo different. Vancouver is not as rainy as non-Vancouverites say or think it is. I agree with that because of my travels. And the summers in Victoria are very dry. Big, damaging summertime thunderstorms in Victoria are as rare as palm trees in Toronto. We don't have the year-round palm trees but we do get big tropical-like thinderstorms all across southern Ontario. We have palm trees in pots for the summer or big plastic palm trees at businesses or in private gardens. The plastic palm trees actually look silly especially when there is week after week of snowcover in the winter.

Let's say like 15 years ago palm trees and winter plants in Vancouver were like a myth heard in eastern Canada. Now you can see picture after picture of palm trees on the west coast. I read online that all of the palm trees at English Bay are donations to the city of Vancouver. It's just too bad that we can't copy English Bay on the Toronto waterfront. It's just ridiculous that they grow eucalyptus in Victoria, BC while I wait all of April to see green leaves appear on trees here. You can clearly see my frustration.

Anyways, Vancouver is a nice city. And plant palm trees for those living east of the Rockies who just can't grow them. We can enjoy Vancouver on our visits or moves. Keep it beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ontario View Post
Vancouverites should plant more palm trees because they just add to the landscape there. I like the ocean and palms trees at English Bay. We Torontonians have nothing like English Bay and there was sleet yesterday in North York. It snow on April 20th. We had an ice storm too this April. Our climates are sooo different. Vancouver is not as rainy as non-Vancouverites say or think it is. I agree with that because of my travels. And the summers in Victoria are very dry. Big, damaging summertime thunderstorms in Victoria are as rare as palm trees in Toronto. We don't have the year-round palm trees but we do get big tropical-like thinderstorms all across southern Ontario. We have palm trees in pots for the summer or big plastic palm trees at businesses or in private gardens. The plastic palm trees actually look silly especially when there is week after week of snowcover in the winter.

Let's say like 15 years ago palm trees and winter plants in Vancouver were like a myth heard in eastern Canada. Now you can see picture after picture of palm trees on the west coast. I read online that all of the palm trees at English Bay are donations to the city of Vancouver. It's just too bad that we can't copy English Bay on the Toronto waterfront. It's just ridiculous that they grow eucalyptus in Victoria, BC while I wait all of April to see green leaves appear on trees here. You can clearly see my frustration.

Anyways, Vancouver is a nice city. And plant palm trees for those living east of the Rockies who just can't grow them. We can enjoy Vancouver on our visits or moves. Keep it beautiful.
Thank you for your gracious post.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:17 AM

….

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 3:29 PM

Is this an El Niño year?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:35 PM

nice weather you have, ! yes el-nino is back, more snow in Boston than in the Rockies.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Is this an El Niño year?
Haha, more like a global warming century.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 10:03 PM

... and the grass is starting to get long. I'll have to get the son out there with the lawnmower this weekend.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 10:58 PM
dazzle me

you should walk around san francisco this week?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:04 AM

Meanwhile in rest of Canada...

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 10:28 AM

….

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 10:55 AM

^Sickening...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos