HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
... I do question the need for a hotel to be part of the terminal. There are so many hotels with shuttle services less than a mile away. I'm just not sure dedicating space, even space above the terminal to a hotel is needed for an airport this size. I think I'd rather see a couple of hotels as part of small conference center built on what was the old airport terminal site and Airport Authority create a dedicated passageway to those hotels.
Nice concept, but let me say that a hotel directly connected to the main terminal is a critical need. Think Westin, not Hampton Inn

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 12:06 AM
Nashville born and raised

Deleted

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 12:29 AM

A couple of takeaways from a monthly meeting of like-minded urban development enthusiasts this morning...from those who study these issues very thoroughly...

1. Nashville is probably in for a bit of a slow down in overall construction.
2. Even though the office supply is non-existent, there does not seem to be any prospect of new buildings being built. It is a catch 22 situation...companies want the space immediately, and without pre-build commitments, developers seem unwilling to build spec buildings.
3. The population growth should actually accelerate.
4. The airport improvements will be a game changer in Nashville's quest for direct European and Asian flights. It will address the concerns of such carriers.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 8:58 PM
Future God

Im not sure how those two things can both be accurate. Construction will slow but population growth will accelerate? I dont understand.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Im not sure how those two things can both be accurate. Construction will slow but population growth will accelerate? I dont understand.
Maybe these larger-scale apartments and such, but I don't see that much of a correction on the horizon. The momentum is still getting stronger, clearly with some proposals popping this year.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Since I was involved in that conversation, maybe I can shed some light.

Population is booming. It never stopped during the last recession. What happened was the construction slowdown last time around depleted our inventory.

The construction boom in the last few years is unprecedented, especially in the last fiscal year. Remember project after project being announced? Well a lot of them have made it to the construction phase, and it looks like there's going to be a little bit of a lull (which is probably NOT a bad thing) after a huge number of units/hotel rooms/office space comes online. The market needs to absorb it.

That said, based on the population estimates in 2014 and 2015, growth has actually been accelerating quite a bit since the 2010 Census. Davidson County's estimates have been pretty stable (though it may jump a little bit with the huge number of units coming online in the next couple of years), but the metro as a whole has jumped from 27-28,000/year growth to 35-36,000/year growth. 8,000 per year may not seem like a lot, but keep in mind that's 80,000 per decade.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 1:39 PM

I think the reason no one is willing to build a major office tower is because Nashville's business growth is taking place with mostly small to medium size companies. I just hope that the lack of office space in the downtown core doesn't have a negative impact on that growth segment. Young companies in particular like either loft style office spaces or high rise office space in an urban core.

This is why MDHA should have chosen one of the other concepts for the trolley barn sites. The city could play a much bigger role in getting Class A office buildings built. Big companies are not flocking anywhere but other cities are building Class A high rise office buildings nonetheless. MDHA and the city must explore other developers outside of the normal go to guys for Nashville. Mayor Barry probably won't have a major venue opportunity like the MCC while she serves in her first term as Nashville's mayor. So, she will need to work aggressively to build more class A office space in the core and midtown if she intends to leave a visual mark on the city.

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Aug 10, 2016 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:42 PM

Those last two posts....thanks!

Well..all the other posts are good, too.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:33 PM

NASHVILLE

from Sylvan Heights also showing in transparent blue, the buildings under construction and how the downtown skyline on the left will merge with the Mid-Town skyline to create one continuous 30 block long skyline.

Picture from MH on UP. UC buildings, from left, are 45 story 505CST, 30 story Bridgestone Americas, 19 story Cambria Suites and the 32 story JW Marriott. The 22 story Marriott Tri-Brand is hidden behind Cambria.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 10:23 PM

Here we go again....

Alex Palmer is back in the news with discussions on the.... wait for it.... you got it... The West End Summit.

The Tennessean reported that he's seeking an equity part for the West End Summit Office Complex. Of course Alex didn't provide specific details on what the actual plans are but indicated that significant activity is taking place at the site but no announcements will be made until plans are finalized. He did indicate that new hotel and residential development partners have been secured.

I'm sure many of us won't be holding our breath until we see ironclad specifics from Alex. I know it's hard for me to get excited over this news. I can just hope that if he doesn't pull this together this time that he will sell the property and move on. Although the article indicates that even if he sells the property he will still be involved in the development of the site.... BOOOOOOO!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ject/88565232/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=PillowTalk4;7528392]Alex Palmer is back in the news with discussions on the.... wait for it.... you got it... The West End Summit.

A few details from the Tennessean article....

Quote:
The project that Palmer now plans is expected to include 325 residential units and a four-star, 250-room hotel. There's also a 360,000-square-foot office building and a parking garage, which are expected to cost roughly $160 million to build, McDonald said.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 6:12 AM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 12:49 AM

The Drury Hotel has released final renderings for a 20 story hotel on Korean Veterans Boulevard in SoBro near the Music City (Convention) Center.

BTW, all that stuff in the background of the second picture is either under construction or less than 10 years old.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 16, 2016 at 1:05 AM. Reason: Added third picture

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:46 AM

I wasn't expecting much from Drury. So, I'm not surprised with the design. Typical underwhelming design. Can anyone incorporate a little curvature into their designs? Oh... that's right some of the designs for the Trolley Barn development, but MDHA shot all of them down.....

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 4:01 PM

Per the Nashville Business Journal....

Quote:
The $350 million two-tower project proposed for SoBro and overlooking the Cumberland River has hit a stumbling block as a legal battle plays out related to a small parking lot.
The beautiful project (two 40 story residential towers at 485' and 415' with a 16 story, five-star hotel)......

......is proposed by the Second Avenue Partners for the SoBro district between First Avenue and Second Avenue and originally planned to connect to the Shelby Street (Seigenthaler) Pedestrian Bridge. Failure to acquire the last piece of property may eliminate that connection, which the Board approving the height variance found appealing, but not stop the project.

Quote:
Without the 0.12-acre Belle Meade Investments parcel, SAP and The Congress Group might have to direct Chicago-based SCB Architects (a.k.a. Solomon Cordwell Buenz) to redesign the buildings’ footprint.
This is my favorite project proposal and I hope it can stay on schedule.

A diagram showing the bridge connection.....

And yes, I like this slightly better than the proposed Old Convention Center site proposal due to the location and height.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 10:26 PM

Another week another.....oh never mind. Here is the latest reveal....a 25-ish story hotel as part of the redevelopment of the Bridgestone Arena; America's second busiest arena by tickets sold. Pictures officially revealed today. The powers that be indicated a year or so ago, this was in their plans.

The Broadway side; The hotel will rise where the current arena offices and Stanley Cup contending Nashville Predators offices are.

The Demonbruen Street (back) side;

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 18, 2016 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 12:52 PM

It should be noted that the Bridgestone Arena renderings are not actual plans. Rather they are renderings of concepts that have been discussed as potential options for upgrading the facility. No specifics have been put on the table (i.e. justification, costs, timeline). That being said, I like the renderings and think if carried out, will accomplish the goal of keeping the venue current and on par with or ahead of other venues around the country. I really like addressing the Demonbreun side of the venue because of its relationship to the MCC across the street. While I like the addition of a hotel, office, residential tower, I must admit that I think the placement will lessen the impact of the roof line of the arena as you drive eastward on Broadway. I like the flying saucer look of the roof line from certain angles and believe that's what sets it apart from other venues around the country. It is iconic to me, just as the dome of the Municipal Auditorium. I'd hate to see that structure ever torn down and it is iconic to James Robertson Pkwy.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:11 PM

An odd proposal....

From the Tennessean...Eleven Story Hotel to start March, 2017 at 14th and Church Street and be located near the 'Hustler' lingerie store and a proposed showgirls club. The developers would prefer not to have the club relocated to the area and a petition to stop the move has been started.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:35 AM

The two tower NCI project on 1st Avenue in SoBro got Metro Planning Commission approval to modify their project to accommodate loss of a small parking lot as explained above. Per Nashville Post....

The North Tower looks a little 'fatter' now. And more height was approved. How much has not been reported yet. Original heights were two at 40 stories, 485' and 410'.

The new rendering...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:43 AM

Developer Spectrum/Emery has secured the land to build a 10 story, 130,000 sf office building at 18th and Chet Atkins, one block off Music Row. The latest rendering shows no obvious changes to earlier renderings other than the parking garage exterior seems totally transparent Hopefully that is for marketing purposes only.

The project is expected to start 4th quarter 2016.

Yeah, I know. I count 8 floors, but they claim there are 10!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations