HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:28 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If the Arlington Bridge didn't exist, about as many people would be clamoring for one as there are currently clamoring for a bridge over the Assiniboine that connects Arlington and Harrow. This is just preserving the status quo for its own sake.
I think they ought to just decommission the bridge and get along with life. They'll end up having to widen mcphillips at some point anyway.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Poor planning and an even bigger waste of tax dollars even to think of replacing the Arlington Bridge, McPhillips should be upgraded, heck is the cole Slaw Rep-chuck bridge really that far away....
Using McPhillips to replace the Arlington Bridge would be a much more expensive project. McPhillips is effectively a four lane street running near capacity on both sides of the underpass. The curb lanes are dedicated to the sole use of transit. All a wider McPhillips underpass offers is pushing the transit lanes through. The transit priority light before the underpass already accomplishes close to the same benefit. Also suggesting Arlington traffic should use McPhillips is similar to saying Waverly traffic should use the Kennaston underpass as it was designed to meet that need.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 10:33 PM

I don't see any reason for a grade separation anywhere on Notre Dame, I've never seen a train cross there in my life.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 10:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Just drags cross there, trading cars from BN's yard to CP's.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:06 AM

That line ends up in Morden so you also get long grain trains from time to time at that crossing.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:20 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I don't see any reason for a grade separation anywhere on Notre Dame, I've never seen a train cross there in my life.
I've seen quite a few, but not enough to justify an underpass.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Using McPhillips to replace the Arlington Bridge would be a much more expensive project. McPhillips is effectively a four lane street running near capacity on both sides of the underpass. The curb lanes are dedicated to the sole use of transit. All a wider McPhillips underpass offers is pushing the transit lanes through. The transit priority light before the underpass already accomplishes close to the same benefit. Also suggesting Arlington traffic should use McPhillips is similar to saying Waverly traffic should use the Kennaston underpass as it was designed to meet that need.
No it's not really the same both Waverley and Kennaston are high volume roads, Arlington on the north side of the bridge is a low volume street.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
No it's not really the same both Waverley and Kennaston are high volume roads, Arlington on the north side of the bridge is a low volume street.
One block south of the tracks, Waverley is a purely residential road that you can't even travel north on. Even the block between there is residential. I live 30 seconds from there and I don't even think it's necessary, even though it annoys me sometimes. It really only causes a backup when there's a long train between 7-9 northbound on Waverley and 330-530 westbound on Taylor. I think the city should twin Taylor between Lindsay and Waverley first, then study if that makes more people go to Kenaston. Taylor's current setup is inadequate and makes people not want to go down Taylor to Kenaston and wait forever without a turn light to make a left SB onto Kenaston.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:45 PM

So, City hosting open house on Feb 8 to present two designs for final consideration. Grabbed a few storyboard images to post. Looks like no more access to Dufferin on the north side (so I'm obviously against it because it makes getting to the Black Pearl for my espresso beans more difficult... obvious sarcasm alert).

Link to presentation materials: http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/const...gtonBridge.stm

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:04 PM

^ Is the little commercial space at Arlington and Logan new? I recall that was planned as a park or some sort of greenspace before even though no one would ever use it and it would basically duplicate the wasted space near the Slaw Rebchuk Bridge on Logan.

The arch looks nice, but seems mainly decorative with no practical purpose.

I hope they build it as a 4-lane bridge instead of just 3.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:10 PM

Yes, those "new commercial space" labels are meant to indicate future development. The NW and SW corners aren't developed like that currently.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:27 PM
Speak the truth, then run

This'll mean expropriating a dozen houses to the north, including one newly built in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:37 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Looks like no more access to Dufferin on the north side (so I'm obviously against it because it makes getting to the Black Pearl for my espresso beans more difficult... obvious sarcasm alert).
That's my go to coffee as well, and also the only reason I am ever on Dufferin. Besides Gimli Fish every now and again.

FYI - Blackpearl is available for sale at Food Fare on Portage and Burnell (near Arlington). That's usually where I get it now.

On topic - they had better rebuild this bridge so it looks more like option 1 versus option 2.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:38 PM

Presentation materials say 55 properties (some vacant) will be impacted, but they don't break it down further. Everything in pink on the map is needed in full.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That's my go to coffee as well, and also the only reason I am ever on Dufferin. Besides Gimli Fish every now and again.

FYI - Blackpearl is available for sale at Food Fare on Portage and Burnell (near Arlington). That's usually where I get it now.

On topic - they had better rebuild this bridge so it looks more like option 1 versus option 2.
Also available at Red River Co-Op grocery stores, but not the espresso.

Yes, Option 1 is clearly the aesthetic front runner.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
^ Is the little commercial space at Arlington and Logan new? I recall that was planned as a park or some sort of greenspace before even though no one would ever use it and it would basically duplicate the wasted space near the Slaw Rebchuk Bridge on Logan.

The arch looks nice, but seems mainly decorative with no practical purpose.

I hope they build it as a 4-lane bridge instead of just 3.
The arch actually does appear to be functional, making that portion a cable-stayed bridge, and allowing one less pier support needed there. The images mention eliminating that pier will save time and make the space more functional for CPR.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The arch actually does appear to be functional, making that portion a cable-stayed bridge, and allowing one less pier support needed there. The images mention eliminating that pier will save time and make the space more functional for CPR.
Definitely. And looking like something good after the fact too. I like it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:11 AM

Yeah, I saw that blurb about the arch allowing one pier to be eliminated, but in terms of cost-benefit how much does that really mean?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that blurb about the arch allowing one pier to be eliminated, but in terms of cost-benefit how much does that really mean?
Exactly. Kinda like wasteong $13 million on making a crosswalk at P&M. Or using stucco on the Alt over stone. Or pull the louvred off that TNS. ( sarcasm intended )

This city is so known for making ugly bridges. Go anywhere else and they make pleasing bridges. So I’m ALL for making this one stand out. Rather then making just another concrete ugly pos.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:13 PM

^ Fair enough if you want a good looking bridge, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that we're buying some kind of functional improvement with that arch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan