HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
I live in Centretown, at Bank and Nepean, and the new site will be pretty much the same distance as the old site. Plus its literally on the Laurier bike path extension.

You talk about ALL Centretown residents losing out. But really, it's half of Centretown where the library will be further, and half where it will be closer. Sure, Elgin street is far away, but what about everyone who lives in Chinatown, or the bottom of the hill at Rochester? Or anyone who lives West of Bank street?

I argue that more people live west of Bank than east of Bank, if we're talking JUST chinatown to the canal. There's a huge amount of residents who live in the square of Lyon/Bronson/Sparks/Gladstone who will end up within 5 minutes walk to the library, rather than government employees who have libraries in their suburban neighbourhoods.
This. ^^

I'm in the "west end" of Centretown. It's about a 20 min. walk to the library, and of course much shorter by bike. The proposed new location would be closer for myself and my neighbours, but I still think it should be built in the Core, partially because yes downtown office workers do use it.

That said, for many of us our perceptions are clouded, because Lebreton has been a wasteland for so long. Not all that nice to walk around there, not nice to bike, and just a place for buses and cars to pass through. But with the Feds. interested in teaming the National Library to the City one it could be a great concept that helps get the area in gear.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Whaaaat? 3.5 mins. to go 600m on a bike? Maybe if you're walking the bike, or riding with flat tires.

The average healthy person can easily do 20 kph on a bike.
Maybe you have better timing, but I always seem to hit red lights at least at 2 out of every 3 intersections when I take Laurier (if not having to stop for every single one), this adds some time.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Library board member not swayed by opposition to LeBreton Flats location
More than 200 residents came out to oppose LeBreton Flats location.

By: Dylan C. Robertson For Metro Published on Fri Jan 20 2017

The city will likely build a new central library to Lebreton Flats, despite downtown residents complaining the new location sits outside the city core, said one member of the library board.

At least 200 people took to City Hall council chambers Wednesday night, and a show of hands had none supporting the city’s current plan.

Coun. David Chernushenko said roughly a dozen constituents told him they don’t like the proposed location, mostly Glebe residents who visit the main branch from their downtown workplaces.

“A central library plays a bigger role than just taking out books,” he said, hoping it remains a hub for speaking events and book launches.

Chernushenko said the new location is a kilometre from downtown density, but suggested it might densify with time.

Coun. Marianne Wilkinson originally pushed to have the branch located downtown, before realizing there no options were accessible to those coming from the suburbs on the light-rail line.

“This is a central library; it's not a local library,” said Wilkinson, who is on the library board. She suggested a smaller branch could be built for downtowners’ convenience.

She dismissed those suggesting the library be put in Confederation Park, because “those same people have said we don’t have enough park land in Centretown.”

She said the city hosted multiple consultations last year.

“Some people in the central area; they made up their minds before we even started, that it had to be in a particular area,” she said. “They wanted it between Bronson and the Canal. It's 50 metres from Bronson. Like, it's not a long way away.”

Wilkinson said having the library partner with Library and Archives Canada should reduce facility costs and attract more clients.

If approved by the library board, council will likely vote on the plan February 8.

Chernushenko said he was glad someone raised a question about homeless people at Wednesday’s meeting. “How many spaces are out of the rain, out of the cold?” he said, saying that business owners are always “trying to keep out 'undesirable people' who might want to 'scare away' their clients.”

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...on-flats-.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That is part of the clientele. I only use the library's electronic services myself, but my understanding from people I have talked to is that many library clients still use the book-lending service (certainly much of the space requirement for the new library is still tied to the this service) . I suspect many of those people have to pop in and pop out to pick up books they have reserved, drop off books, etc.

I think part of the issue is that many parts of Ottawa have an underdeveloped branch network so for many parts of the city the main branch is either the closest branch, the closest branch of any size, or easier to get to than the local branch.
Genuine question here: If we need to make sure the new library is accessible to not just Centretown, but other areas of the city as well, wouldn't this support the current proposed location of the new library, given that it is within walking distance of an LRT station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Library board member not swayed by opposition to LeBreton Flats location
More than 200 residents came out to oppose LeBreton Flats location.

By: Dylan C. Robertson For Metro Published on Fri Jan 20 2017

She dismissed those suggesting the library be put in Confederation Park, because “those same people have said we don’t have enough park land in Centretown.”

She said the city hosted multiple consultations last year.

“Some people in the central area; they made up their minds before we even started, that it had to be in a particular area,” she said. “They wanted it between Bronson and the Canal. It's 50 metres from Bronson. Like, it's not a long way away.”

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...on-flats-.html
I appreciate Wilkinson making these comments, to point out the hypocrisy of certain people. There are fair criticisms of the proposed location, and it may not be perfect, but given all the constraints they are working with I don't think it's a bad spot by any means.

(Also, hey gang. Long time lurker finally feeling like getting into the chats with everyone! I'm not from Ottawa originally but this board has taught me so much about the city that I haven't read anywhere else, and I really appreciate that!!)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Genuine question here: If we need to make sure the new library is accessible to not just Centretown, but other areas of the city as well, wouldn't this support the current proposed location of the new library, given that it is within walking distance of an LRT station?

I think most of the proposed locations were within walking distance of an LRT station, as is the current location and the location on Lyon that the Library had previously proposed.
Quote:

I appreciate Wilkinson making these comments, to point out the hypocrisy of certain people. There are fair criticisms of the proposed location, and it may not be perfect, but given all the constraints they are working with I don't think it's a bad spot by any means.
I think a lot of the constraints are related to the LAC's needs, rather than the city's needs. The LAC wanted a location close to its current HQ and a lot of the size requirement is being driven by the LAC component, which precludes many of the sites in the traditional downtown. As I had noted in an earlier post, the Library had identified a downtown site on Lyon (practically on top of the LRT station) that was halted because the library board apparently couldn't agree on a price with the owner (which as I said is weird given the city has no problem expropriating land when such disputes arise in other cases).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Maybe you have better timing, but I always seem to hit red lights at least at 2 out of every 3 intersections when I take Laurier (if not having to stop for every single one), this adds some time.
I have it timed when I'm travelling east on Laurier. If you stay near the top of the hill in front of the little garden (where the dog park bike path lets out) then giv'r after counting to 20 seconds after the light turns red at Bay, then that light will be green a few seconds before you arrive, and you can carry your speed through at least Lyon before hitting the red on Kent (unless a clueless pedestrian steps in the way).

Travelling west? Forget speed. It's every red all the way down.

Still though, from my doorstep to the bottom of Bronson is still 5 minutes or less for almost 1.5km, including red lights.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 3:33 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
(Also, hey gang. Long time lurker finally feeling like getting into the chats with everyone! I'm not from Ottawa originally but this board has taught me so much about the city that I haven't read anywhere else, and I really appreciate that!!)
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:41 AM

The new site is great. In 20 years it will be smack dab in the middle of downtown. They need to make it accessible by building a ramp from Centretown to the front door to help people navigate the 30 foot drop. I think we can do this, people!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:00 AM
dazzle me

what will happen with the old central library site?

imo, seems pretty nuts to put it out in the middle of nowhere, when the current library is perfectly good. like, a whole bunch of money down the drain, a sop to the suburbans that they won't even appreciate because the old city of ottawa, walkable and dense, is where the majority of the users of a central branch would be.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The new site is great. In 20 years it will be smack dab in the middle of downtown. They need to make it accessible by building a ramp from Centretown to the front door to help people navigate the 30 foot drop. I think we can do this, people!
This will be a major shift.

In my lifetime, we have seen downtown move eastward with the development of the Rideau Centre. the gentrification of the Byward Market and the decline of Sparks Street.

We may see major development on Lebreton Flats but the lack of pedestrian attractiveness west of Bank will make it difficult for the Library location to become the 'middle of downtown'.

The area may become a secondary hub at best. The 'middle of downtown' is east of Bank. It will take an awful lot (and not just condos and an arena) to shift it west of Bronson.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 9:28 PM

Even if all of the senators' plans get approved, and all of claridge's plans get approved, it will take decades for these projects to be completed. The icon was announced in 2012 and they still haven't reached ground level.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Renowned library architect praises proposed site for Ottawa's new central library

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 22, 2017 | Last Updated: January 22, 2017 5:28 PM EST

The internationally renowned architect who designed Halifax’s award-winning library is praising the proposed location for Ottawa’s new central branch, which some have dismissed because they believe it’s outside the city’s downtown core.

Morten Schmidt says the Ottawa Public Library’s preferred location for the $168-million library — a 1.44-hectare parcel of land just west of Bronson at 557 Wellington St. — is a “beautiful site” near a ridge overlooking the Ottawa River that would locate the new library among all of the important government buildings and museums nearby.

“The nature of Ottawa is so beautiful with the river and all that around it that it’s so obvious to place it right there,” Schmidt said in an interview.

“All these buildings sit on that beautiful edge, and the library will be on that edge as well. It’s a perfect location to build a new library in between the existing city and the new development,” he said.

Schmidt’s comments come days before the library board is to vote on the location at its Jan. 31 meeting. The question will then move to city council on Feb. 8.

The city-owned Wellington Street site received the highest ranking in OPL’s analysis of 12 potential sites.

Among the reasons for its selection: it’s a four-minute walk to the Pimisi LRT station and a two-minute walk from Bronson. The nearby escarpment is a unique geological feature and the library will have protected views to the north. It also has unobstructed views of the Ottawa River and is close to an aqueduct and a heritage pumping station. To the east is the high-density core, and to the west the LeBreton Flats, which are being redeveloped.

Ottawa Public Library will partner with Library and Archives Canada to build the four-storey super library. The city’s share of the costs will be $99 million; Library and Archives will pay $69 million. The new library will total 216,000 square feet.

Opponents, including several city councillors, question how well the preferred site will serve pedestrians, people with physical disabilities and mobility challenges, and other vulnerable populations.

They also wonder how the extensive feedback gathered from public consultations is reflected in the decision and suggest the chosen site was really the favourite all along.

Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney, who sits on the library board, said last week that her main concern regarding a site for the new facility is that it optimizes the library’s use. “I want the library to be located where it’s going to be used the most, and I believe that that’s where most people live, where most people work, and where most people visit,” she said.

But Schmidt says the proposed location is not really outside the core.

“It’s on the edge of the core and I think the library will probably pull a lot of development to it and around it,” he said. “I think that library will be the catalyst for things to happen in that area.”

Much is expected to happen there in the coming years. There’s Windmill’s Zibi development and the RendezVous LeBreton project — which promises 4,400 new residential units. Claridge Homes recently unveiled plans for five residential towers on a patch of LeBreton Flats east of Booth Street.

Schmidt, who was in Ottawa last September to accept the Governor General’s medal in architecture for his work on the Halifax Central Library, advised RendezVous LeBreton on its winning proposal, which included a new library.

He is back in town this week, appearing Monday night at the Canadian Museum of History for a public lecture sponsored by Carleton University’s Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism and the National Capital Commission.

Schmidt is a big believer in what he says libraries of the future will be — gathering places for people to gain knowledge from traditional and new technological sources and from the interactions they have with other people. Such libraries should be built sustainably, have flexible spaces that can be used in various ways throughout the day, and be easily adaptable to hold more or fewer books, Schmidt says.

And, if designed well, they will be something residents connect with emotionally and are proud to show off.

“You need to feel at home in order to go there,” Schmidt said. “You need to feel that this is a place that I’m part of and I actually own this building in some way.”

He is closely following the current process and says his firm is interested. “It’s a very interesting library for us to work with,” he said.

Denmark-based Schmidt Hammer Lassen has designed 14 large central libraries, and was selected in December to design the new Shanghai library, a massive, 1.29-million-square-feet facility.

The public’s participation was key to the success of the Halifax library, Schmidt says. His firm held six public meetings to allow community members to express concerns and wishes for the new library. People in Halifax know why the building looks the way it does and understand why certain decisions were made because they could follow along and participate from design to construction, he said.

“We took the public literally as if it were our client,” he said. “It’s not an easy process, but it was worthwhile doing and I could wish other public projects like this to do it the same way.”

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...entral-library

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 1:57 PM

^

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
^
We should be so lucky to have him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Central_Library

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
^
Would you rather have Claridge design and build it? I don't mind paying for quality.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Would you rather have Claridge design and build it? I don't mind paying for quality.
No, I'm just insinuating that an architect likely to bid on a project is not exactly a neutral party in determining whether a location is good or not, particularly when a library in a field probably commands a larger fee than an urban library would.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
No, I'm just insinuating that an architect likely to bid on a project is not exactly a neutral party in determining whether a location is good or not, particularly when a library in a field probably commands a larger fee than an urban library would.
Even more so on challenging terrain and a subway portal just behind it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Not to be argumentative for the sake of it, but I'm pretty sure logistics of construction in urban density is very much more expensive than on a brownfield site with nothing around it and lots of land to lay-down equipment. (Yes, we'll have to pay to cover the tunnel portal, but that's a simple process).

And, it may be near the escarpment, but we're not building off the side of a cliff here... the site has barely any slope as it is.

May I remind everyone:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
Not to be argumentative for the sake of it, but I'm pretty sure logistics of construction in urban density is very much more expensive than on a brownfield site with nothing around it and lots of land to lay-down equipment. (Yes, we'll have to pay to cover the tunnel portal, but that's a simple process).

And, it may be near the escarpment, but we're not building off the side of a cliff here... the site has barely any slope as it is.

May I remind everyone:

I don't know anything about architecture, but I would think the Lebreton site is very appealing because you can make a really unique structure there which will have more visibility than anything you can build right downtown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:02 PM

Living on the western side of Centretown, I'm mostly okay with this site, provided it yields a truly stunning space. I really hope we make it an international competition for the library design and have architects of Schmidt's caliber submitting proposals (the Halifax library, and his upcoming work on the Shanghai library shown below look incredible). If this turns into another blah-looking Ottawa institution, I feel like I'm going to have to finally give up on Ottawa.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa