HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:53 PM

I heard that the Owners are planning a hotel on site near turn 19/20 with Big Red Dog as Civil. Anyone have more information on this?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeckton View Post
I heard that the Owners are planning a hotel on site near turn 19/20 with Big Red Dog as Civil. Anyone have more information on this?
That'd make sense, plenty of room there. I hope it's a well thought out design if it happens. Some of the Asian/Middle East tracks have hotels right in the venue.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:53 PM

Now this is ambitious.

This Car-Centric Real Estate Development Overlooks a Formula 1 Track in Austin
On track to break ground in 2019, the four-tower development will house around 150 units.

Quote:
The four-tower development will house around 150 units (including 10 penthouses). Some residences offer views of up to 18 of the 20 track turns for an unforgettable viewing experience, and the penthouses come with private infinity pools and balconies. Ranging from 2,000 square feet to 6,500 square feet, the townhomes and penthouses showcase two- to four-car glass garages that allow residents to proudly display their supercars (though there’s no word yet as to whether any cars will be used as one-of-a-kind room dividers).
https://robbreport.com/shelter/new-c...ustin-2811311/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:37 PM

LOL who would buy into that?

I wish I had FU money like that....

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:38 PM

Check out the other two residential towers not posted in the gallery at the link. It looks like Eightfold. Put me in the skeptical category.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:37 AM

This is so hideously kitschy that I almost love it. It would be an awesome Hot Wheels set.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:45 AM

Someone is going to end up complaining about the noise, especially from the 360 Amphitheater. Not unheard of. Texas Motor Speedway has condos for sale by turn 2. Nice looking tallish and longish building with breathtaking views of mostly vacant track except for a few times a year. Less than 400K will get you a 2 bed 2 bath 1500 square foot home. I can see it happening at COTA, but at a much higher, snooty price. I just don't find it appealing personally. But I do see some excellent camera angles from the rooftops for televised races. As far as the last two pics, looks like Hanna - Barbera might be the architectual influence. Hey Jane, I'm home!!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post

I don't think sound will be much of an issue. That glass must be pretty thick to be load bearing. I don't see any other support other than on the second level of the tower.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I can see it happening at COTA, but at a much higher, snooty price.
According to the article they will only cost $1.5 million to $8.9 million.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:27 AM
Member since 2001

Interesting. I doubt anyone will actually "live" there. This will most certainly be marketed to the jetset (international) millionaires/billionaires.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:33 AM
Meh

That first one looks like a Carvana dealership.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
According to the article they will only cost $1.5 million to $8.9 million.
ahhh, beg your pardon, that would put them in the much higher stinky, snooty price range. Because only the stinkin rich can afford it, (in case anyone missed that)...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:17 AM

I just located the permit for this. It's a Development Assessment filing for the "COTA PUD". This project is huge. It'll have condos, office buildings, resort hotel with water park, indoor sports facilities, parking garages, restaurants, car clubs and warehouses.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3505807

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:22 AM

A little more info about the residential portion from the architects website:

Quote:
...the project consists of 60 townhouses, two 13-story midrise towers, and one 16-story midrise tower. In the center of the race track next to turn seven is Forza Elite, a luxury car club which consists of a glass car elevator displaying the vehicles available to drive on track.
https://nathanlandreville.com/work/#/forza/

Another rendering:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:42 AM
World Traveler

Well hey, look at it this way. If they want to argue about folks who live in the vicinity of a soccer field ("stadium") at COTA, there is now a slight chance of that happening... Though given the development, they would probably still prefer to drive there.

In all honesty, however, if there were ever some sort of entertainment district set up at COTA and if F1 remains there for years to come, along with other races, I could see condos go up as well as hotels, etc., that would focus on an entertainment and racing enthusiast clientele. The uber-rich may not have any issue putting a huge sum down on a condo that close to the track if they could also do other stuff before and/or after the race. Still silly, though.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm all for this. It's not my money. The towers look pretty cool. I'm guessing it's got a long way to go before it's realized. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

If they start surrounding the track with bars and restaurants, they might have themselves something. They should build a couple parking garages, too. Treat it like the airport.

I'd also like a drag strip put in somewhere nearby.

It's just so far out of the way. I don't know how they could keep those places full of people when there's not a race in town.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It makes you wonder what else they have in store for the property. Even with this proposal, there's still plenty of space that is currently not utilized. It's also taken longer than I was expecting to see residual development, (this isn't residual). There will need to be more entertainment options or some sort of draw that brings people into the area when races or games are not occurring. Skies the limit to what that could be, it just takes someone with a vision and deep pockets.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:01 PM

A planetarium is even planned for the roof of one of the buildings. But it could be just another amenity for the residents. Access to the super cars in the car tower with track access 60 days per year is another amenity.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:08 PM

Here's a presentation that shows the six phases of the residential projects.

https://quizlet.com/300234890/forza-...s-flash-cards/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:56 PM
Meh

I helped my sister build a storage shed in her backyard last week, and I spent the better part of two nights on a ladder while we were putting on the roof, and from up there (and from their driveway) you can see the observation tower at COTA. We could also hear the bikes racing at a dirt bike track that's sort of between their neighborhood and COTA.

I could see COTA sort of turning into its own little city of sorts, but it has major lack of connection issues to anything else. It would need to be self sustaining with retail, including boring stuff like groceries, plus a way in and out. I could see it being serviced by a heliport to help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's also taken longer than I was expecting to see residual development, (this isn't residual). There will need to be more entertainment options or some sort of draw that brings people into the area when races or games are not occurring. Skies the limit to what that could be, it just takes someone with a vision and deep pockets.
Del Valle and environs usually gets the short end of the stick in the metro. My sister has been in that neighborhood now for almost a decade now and they still don't have a full service grocery store, and the only food is a Sonic down the street.

That area has been plagued with problems. Someone set fire to a Dollar General, and then there was the two Halloween floods a couple of years ago. My sister's street was ok, but there were other houses in the neighborhood that had several inches of water mostly in their garages.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin