HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 4:08 PM
Baltimore

Largest dorm complex? Bigger than the ones in College Park?

Anyways, they look nice,.. I'm not sure how close they are to downtown... but anything they build amongst the skyline and/or against the water needs to be tall.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

and since this wasn't mentioned here yet I don't think...

10 inner harbor (as per Steven) will most likely be even taller than first designed and should have the public word of final approval very soon.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
Largest dorm complex? Bigger than the ones in College Park?

Anyways, they look nice,.. I'm not sure how close they are to downtown... but anything they build amongst the skyline and/or against the water needs to be tall.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!
"Largish" not "largest". I don't know anything about the ones in College Park although my sister went to school there and I grew up not far from there (in Silver Spring)--haven't been back to that area in decades but I'm thinking about a brief trip to Baltimore next winter just to see what the Hopkins campus is like now. I just know it's a lot different than in the 60's.

By the way, the Hopkins campus is close enough to downtown that, as an 18 year old, I used to walk it. It's certainly well within the city limit and densely urban except for the campus itself.

Thanks to several of you for the welcome.

Last edited by BTinSF; Jun 12, 2006 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 9:08 PM
Baltimore

BTinSF , check out the Baltimore threads in the regional northeast section of this forum. There are a couple in there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 8:37 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Canton project off again, for a while

Plans to build a 30-story condominium tower, hotel and townhouses along the waterfront in Baltimore’s Canton neighborhood are on hold once again, despite recent word that city officials would push the project forward.
- JEN DEGREGORIO

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 8:51 PM
Baltimore

Oh well..... other things are happening.... besides that nice Canton Crossing building happened. It is nice because coming from 95 North heady south to BAltimore... that will be the first building you see around a couple turns before you get the full view of the skyline.... but it kind of shows you that hey, you are close to Baltimore. ya know? I'm still happy for that

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 9:29 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Yeah, but I'm sure the project will get going in no time.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 1:57 PM

I was talking to one of the principles at Cignal yesterday. The Icon project does not yet have approval. Once it gets approval (IF it gets approval), it may or may not be built depending on the status of the housing market. There are a LOT of residential projects on the boards and under construction. I know current demand is high, but is it sustainable? I already live downtown...so I won't be buying any of the new ones! But thats a serious question to the group....do you see downtown sustaining its current growth, leveling off, or crashing with this glut of new development? Your thoughts?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 5:06 PM
Baltimore

I still think Baltimore is one of the hotter areas in the country. A lot of people are moving here from other places, (city and metro). Development is finally starting to spread to areas farther from the CBD and inner harbor, but there is still high demand and I think it will continue for at least another 10 years or so. Not only that but housing prices are so high in the county now that others (especially younger people) will want to move into the city that is still cheaper in a lot of regards and still better to live in if you work there (especially with the continuing escalating gas prices). Live close to where you work. haha, of course presently I live in White Marsh and work in Owings Mills, not fun, but it could be worse!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex
thats a serious question to the group....do you see downtown sustaining its current growth, leveling off, or crashing with this glut of new development? Your thoughts?
Growth begets growth. I think density of housing brings more businesses and more activity that lure all sorts of people. When I lived in Baltimore 4 decades ago, nobody would have wanted to live down by the harbor because it was a dark wasteland at night and there was no retail or entertainment in the daytime. I remember one rough wanterfront bar I went into a few times to brag I'd done it but generally the only people who lived in most of the city were people who couldn't afford to move to Towson. Obviously it's very different now but that's why people want to live there and more development will mean more people want to live there.

One thing I don't see a lot of emphasis on in this thread, though, is Baltimore's wealth of educational and medical institutions. I was in Baltimore because I was going to school there. My niece lived there in one of the trendier 'hoods by the harbor because she works as a nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital. But cities tend to be most attractive to young people and empty-nesters and these are the kinds of people development like we are talking about is most likely to attract--IF they have places to work and go to school.

Bottom line--I don't see a crash. Probably not even much of a levelling off if the development includes a mix of condos and rental housing. Mortgage rates are going up and people may hesitate to buy for a while until they get used to the higher rates, so they may prefer to rent. But I don't think mortgages are going above 7% and that used to be an inflection point. As long as they bstay below that, people will buy housing also.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 9:03 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I think that it will slowly become more of a buyer's market for sure. It won't mean an end to the residential boom in Baltimore though. You probably won't see big priced projects like 10 IH popping up here and there, but you will see some still pretty decent luxury condos going up as well as townhomes etc..
And yes, Johns Hopkins AND UofMD are helping with this boom in a HUGE way.

In other news:

An inside source of mine let me know some pretty good, (solid), news.
Not as big as last weeks news but still good news. They will be breaking ground on the Four Seasons this Summer. This info came from the assistant to the head of H&S Developent.
I can't wait until this project starts going.
It will be an awesome addition to the city, for sure!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2006, 9:10 PM
Baltimore

Hah, maybe not like 10IH , but hopefully a few more 500 or 600+ footers.... yes, downtown is changing all of the time, a lot of people I work with live down there who are around my age and they all love it.

Where exactly are they putting the 4 seasons? and how tall will it be?

(I'm still disappointed in how short the Zenith will be, but at least it'll be taller than what was there before it!)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 8:07 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

The 4 Seasons will be in front of the Vue and right next to the Marriott.
26 story hotel and 22 story condo. They should be around the same height as the Vue.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2006, 9:02 PM
Baltimore

IN front of Vue.. so farther away from the water.... in front and next to Marriot is Victor's Cafe and the circle, but you must mean accross Fleet St. right? I gotca.... i hardly ever drive down there, only once every month or two.... I need to take a drive down there again..... yeah, that little corner of the city is looking nice..... hopefully they will build taller buildings behind them one day....

What I don't like is how on the west side because of the hospital, they can't build tall buildings... that just sucks... they need to up and move the hospital out of the way!!!!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 3:57 PM

my understanding was that the four seasons is to be built on the lot between victors and the marriot. can any one confirm or deny this location?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 4:18 PM
Baltimore

is there a lot there? now I really have to go down there.... from what I know, it is Marriot, then parking and the traffic circle thing with grass in it... an then Victor's right next to it.... dont' remember there being much land right there to build another buillding there, but I could easily be wrong... that would be good since the Four Seasons will only be around 300 ft and it'll be right on the water.... not bad if that's the case.....

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 5:17 PM

yes...there is a large surface parking lot kind of caddy corner from Vue (across the circle with the statue in it) i thihk thats where the 4 seasons are going. if i'm out and about this weekend, i'll take my camera!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 6:52 PM
Sky is the limit!

Judging from the renderings I've seen of 4 seasons, it looks as though it will be about the same height as the Marriot. At least the 26 story tower does.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 7:26 PM

click the following link for the location of the 4 seasons in relationship to the rest of the development.

http://www.harboreast.com/directory.htm

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 8:49 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 8:43 PM
Baltimore

By the looks of the map, there is more room there than I thought.... I really need to go down there and look around....

..... so when are they going to break ground on the 4 Seasons? Was it this summer someone said? ..... if you think about our skyline before the marriot and that 750 East Pratt st (black building). .... there were no buildings (with any significant height) on that side at all... now with 750 east, marriot, then Vue Harbor EAst and the Four Seasons.. our skyline (if you looked from accross the harbor, Rusty Scupper) .... has really expanded to the east (or right from that view).... looks nice .....

so when does it break ground?

Edit: Also on Emporis it just says 22 floors and doesn't have a height yet. Is it supposed to have 26 floors now? and is there any word on height?

Last edited by Ktulured55; Jun 19, 2006 at 8:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations