HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:43 PM

I used to work with a bunch of curmudgeonly middle aged coots (which I'm starting to suspect is the demographic Sam falls into) on office and industrial projects in the burbs and they all insisted "as soon as your generation gets married you'll move to the burbs!" Then I told them almost every property I was leasing was to young married , engaged, or soon to be engaged couples. So the line became "As soon as you kids have kids you'll be back!" Then came the strollers all over Logan Square. Now the response is "As soon as your kids turn five you will have to move to a better school district out of the city!"

Well now I'm starting to see double strollers and Mom's with 3 or four year old kids all up and down Milwaukee Ave. Where is the suburban gold rush? It's not gonna happen. If anything we will start moving to lower density neighborhoods like Portage Park or Bemont Cragin where the schools are still OK and you can get a SFH for $400k and revitalize those areas next. In fact I know three prominent hipster couples (and by prominent I mean they own or founded major hipster businesses in places like Logan or Pilsen ) who have moved to Jeff Park or portage in the last 6 months. They all have 2-3 children and are worth well north of $1 million. They could easily have decamped to Barrington or Wilmette years ago but don't want to leave the city. I'm sure as hell not going anywhere after I get married next summer, my fiancee and I are actually shopping for another property to use her FHA loan on and are considering McKinnley and Bridgeport because I can't justify paying the prices they are asking in Logan after I got in on my other properties at a quarter or fitth the price at the bottom.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:06 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Unless there is some major re-embracing of getting hitched in your early 20s and immediately moving out to the suburbs then the cities are still going to be the place to recruit young talent.

I'm still perplexed why comparable walking distances to say River North along the river itself are somehow fine but to the West Loop aren't.

I am most certainly not making an anti-city argument....

Part of what's going on now simply has to do with the relative sizes of the respective generations - in other words, Millennial generation is much larger than Generation X.....X is definitely moving to the suburbs (no, of course not everybody), but it's overshadowed by the great bulge of the millennials......once the millennials get to be in their 30s-40s, the movement to the suburbs will be MUCH more impactful.....

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I used to work with a bunch of curmudgeonly middle aged coots (which I'm starting to suspect is the demographic Sam falls into) on office and industrial projects in the burbs and they all insisted "as soon as your generation gets married you'll move to the burbs!" Then I told them almost every property I was leasing was to young married , engaged, or soon to be engaged couples. So the line became "As soon as you kids have kids you'll be back!" Then came the strollers all over Logan Square. Now the response is "As soon as your kids turn five you will have to move to a better school district out of the city!"

Well now I'm starting to see double strollers and Mom's with 3 or four year old kids all up and down Milwaukee Ave. Where is the suburban gold rush? It's not gonna happen. If anything we will start moving to lower density neighborhoods like Portage Park or Bemont Cragin where the schools are still OK and you can get a SFH for $400k and revitalize those areas next. In fact I know three prominent hipster couples (and by prominent I mean they own or founded major hipster businesses in places like Logan or Pilsen ) who have moved to Jeff Park or portage in the last 6 months. They all have 2-3 children and are worth well north of $1 million. They could easily have decamped to Barrington or Wilmette years ago but don't want to leave the city. I'm sure as hell not going anywhere after I get married next summer, my fiancee and I are actually shopping for another property to use her FHA loan on and are considering McKinnley and Bridgeport because I can't justify paying the prices they are asking in Logan after I got in on my other properties at a quarter or fitth the price at the bottom.
Sorry but you're way off on this. 95% of these folks will still be in the burbs. Including you

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:12 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Ignore millennials for the moment. The City has seen strong growth of high income families. You can see this in the multiple CPS turnaround stories. I'm not sure why Sam in the Loop thinks this will stop. If anything, the opposite is happening.
Never made such a claim.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:18 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Well that's patently false, 600 W Chicago alone is 2,000,000 SF of office which beats out 300 N LaSalle as the largest office building in River North (excluding Merch Mart which is kinda of an office building now, but just a totally unique property not just in River North, but perhaps globally). I have a hard time believing that 2,000,000 SF is less than 2% of the "high quality office space" in RN. I also don't believe that it's the only building outside of 2 blocks North of the River that counts as "high quality office space" whatever that means. 600 W Chicago has been operating as an office building for over a decade now with stunning success. That just goes to show that proximity to commuter rail isn't everything for office leasing and is further from the commuter rail stations than almost anything in the West Loop.

North Michigan Ave and Illnois Center started being built up on expectation of a subway line that never materialized. Then the golden age of the suburb and automobile (1980's and 1990's) led people to believe that transit access simply no longer mattered at all. So you got buildings like 900 N Michigan that were several blocks from even the nearest L stations with a big chunk of office space served primarily by a nasty ass garage at the base. Even then though, no one ever expected N Michigan Ave to supplant the loop, it just became an acceptable place to build such things because 90% of the workers were coming in by car from the burbs and the other 10% were taking the red line from Lincoln Park.

Better to be "short-termist" than stuck in the 2000's. If prices are low now and what you are saying about it being a truly undesirable area is true, then prices will stay low. Simple economics. However, I believe you are not looking towards the future, but rather living in the past. If there is another polar vortex do you think the employees at Google are going to even leave the house to go in to the office? Or do you think that the defining trends that have shaped the office market beginning in the 1990's, you know the whole hotel stations and work from home, will continue?

Is it possible that the willingness of certain companies to locate in places like River North or West Loop is linked to the ongoing evolution of these trends? Maybe my buddy who works at Salesforce doesn't give a rats ass that there is no easy way to get to Illinois and LaSalle from Schaumberg because he works from home all but three or four days a year and lives in Logan Square? Maybe workers at one of the premier bike parts manufacturers in the world, Sram, don't care how close 1K Fulton is to Ogalvie because, unlike their parents who take the Metra in from Bartlett every day, they live in Avondale and bike to work every day, regardless of weather. Again, that's not a supposition, another friend of mine works at Sram and bikes from Avondale every day.

Perhaps employees at Google feel the same way about the West Loop, if they absolutely have to go into the office to work and it's -20 degrees, it's not like they can remotely call a car to exactly where they are and have it drive them to 20 feet outside of their office lobby. An Uber from Union Station to 1K Fulton is probably $2-5 depending on time of day and surge pricing. That's competitive with the price of a bus ride but involves way less walking. Same goes for McDonalds which is by far the most "conventional" tenant that has located there, their employees will adapt, they will move downtown or to the neighborhoods, they will learn to take the bus or an Uber if it's shitty outside or a Divvy if it's nice out. That's the future, offices are less critical to most worker's lives, short trips are cheap and convenient, new forms of transportation are radically changing the world, companies are cutting costs to make the most of these changes.

Literally no one is saying this. Are you confusing this with the very real transit investment that did occur at Morgan? I don't think McDonalds thinks a circle line is coming to the West Loop or that Ogalvie will be relocated to Morgan and Kinzie. Where are you getting this stuff from?

What I think is that McDonalds, being one of the most successful, dynamic, and influential companies in history, see's the writing on the wall and knows that the times, they are a changin'. They have the foresight to see that the world is moving from an economy based on old school retail sales in a brand centric environment to one that is fixated on authenticity and experiential sales. They see the West Loop for what it is: the nexus of all that in Chicago. They know they need to not only study it from afar, but actually infuse that new culture into their company if they want to stay on top of the heap for the next generation. So to the West Loop they go. Besides, you talk of these moves as if all these companies were once right on top of the L at Jackson and Wells and are now sacrificing access to infrastructure. I mean have you been to the McDonalds campus? It doesn't have access to shit. They could literally have moved to any location within two miles of the Sears Tower and have had better access to transit infrastructure than they did before. Building an all new suburban style campus on the freight yards on Western South of Tri Taylor would have been a better option than they have now. Building in Lawndale on the Brach's site would have been better. Anywhere but fucking Oak Brook. But what stopped them from moving to the Loop? Well you already said, they are accustomed to Oak Brook lease rates. So the new West Loop office market has stuck the happy medium of being as close to downtown, metra, CTA, and freeways as possible while also offering them real estate costs that fit their model and are acceptable to their shareholders.

Not only are you wrong about the West Loop, but it makes perfect sense within the same parameters you use to knock tenants entering the market.

Such a long screed of mostly nonsense, one doesn't know where to start.

One question: What is it about McDonald's under-construction HQ building that is remotely authentic? The answer of course is nothing. There's a lot of obvious faux-authenticity that's being sold by the unscrupulous and purchased by the gullible/unsophisticated here in the Fulton Market area....

Also, Merchandise Mary is very much an office building today....and, I think of River North's northern boundary as being Chicago....

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:21 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
He or his company obviously have some sort of vested interest in south Loop real estate, and they see the West Loop boom as some sort of threat to that

No - not at all. I'll say it again - my comments re the far west loop are solely targeted at its misuse by some as an appropriate location for large scale office employment concentration. The South Loop is an even less appropriate location for same....

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Well now I'm starting to see double strollers and Mom's with 3 or four year old kids all up and down Milwaukee Ave. Where is the suburban gold rush? It's not gonna happen. If anything we will start moving to lower density neighborhoods like Portage Park or Bemont Crayon where the schools are still OK and you can get a SFH for $400k and revitalize those areas next. In fact I know three prominent hipster couples (and by prominent I mean they own or founded major hipster businesses in places like Logan or Pilsen ) who have moved to Jeff Park or portage in the last 6 months. They all have 2-3 children and are worth well north of $1 million. They could easily have decamped to Barrington or Wilmette years ago but don't want to leave the city. I'm sure as hell not going anywhere after I get married next summer, my fiancee and I are actually shopping for another property to use her FHA loan on and are considering McKinnley and Bridgeport because I can't justify paying the prices they are asking in Logan after I got in on my other properties at a quarter or fitth the price at the bottom.
Not middle-aged....a bit younger than that still....curmudgeonly? Maybe a little!

Nobody is saying that no young families are staying in the city...they are, and more than in recent decades, for sure.....however they most certainly continue to be outweighed by those that are moving to the burbs....

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

how will the poor suburbanites ever navigate this insurmountable hurdle???

I don't know how much I got out of my classes that dealt with transportation psychology but this would kind of suck. Car to the Metra station, Metra to outside, up onto a cta platform, wait, board train, walk to office. What a pain in mid-January.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:29 PM
1st Ward

^ For a few dollars more, this can be done with Uber as well, with the added bonus of being dropped off right in front of the office doors as well.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:41 AM
The City

A lot of this can be solved with more seamless Metra/CTA connections

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:59 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I don't know how much I got out of my classes that dealt with transportation psychology but this would kind of suck. Car to the Metra station, Metra to outside, up onto a cta platform, wait, board train, walk to office. What a pain in mid-January.
It would suck. I, someone who has always either had a single-seat ride to the office or could walk, would really dislike it. But people do have similar commutes every day. I mean, I've known people who lived in Lakeview and took 75 minute transit commutes to the suburbs every day. I'm constantly surprised by some people's tolerance of commutes I'd rather be unemployed than endure. I mean, I've worked with people who had two-hour commutes (one direction). I can't even imagine why they thought that was a tolerable thing to endure regardless of their life situation.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:12 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Sorry but you're way off on this. 95% of these folks will still be in the burbs. Including you
I think 95% is too high of a number. It's greater than 50%, I'd grant you that, but it's not 95%, either.

My oldest friend here in the city just had a beautiful daughter with his partner and I don't see them going to the suburbs. They live in Lincoln Park in one of those townhomes on Lincoln, and have the income to raise the kid in the city. He is definitely a city person, and while she is less dedicated to living in the city, I think she is totally game for making city life work long-term. They're not alone.

Another college friend of mine lives in Bucktown in a two-flat. They have a daughter who's about 10 and I don't see them moving to the suburbs, either. She would totally be game for moving to the suburbs, and he grew up in Glenview, but I really think they're staying in the city.

This is my world. Anecdotal, for sure, but I can't be alone in this experience. The suburbs are still a strong draw, but there are a lot of people in my generation (I'm 43) and younger who are dedicated to making city life work.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:15 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Such a long screed of mostly nonsense, one doesn't know where to start.

One question: What is it about McDonald's under-construction HQ building that is remotely authentic? The answer of course is nothing. There's a lot of obvious faux-authenticity that's being sold by the unscrupulous and purchased by the gullible/unsophisticated here in the Fulton Market area....

Also, Merchandise Mary is very much an office building today....and, I think of River North's northern boundary as being Chicago....
I consider Chicago to be the northern boundary, too, except for those buildings along Kingsbury, because a) they're literally on the River, and b) they're isolated from anything else, and c) they're tied to the rest of River North more than anything else.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ For a few dollars more, this can be done with Uber as well, with the added bonus of being dropped off right in front of the office doors as well.
Very true. At the time, the final mile was difficult to solve. But now we have on-demand vehicles and bikeshare, which seeemed like a distant concept over a decade ago. I've always felt I needed to go more than two stations to make a CTA rail trip justified. I'm not talking convenience but justifying that add monthly pass

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:20 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Very true. At the time, the final mile was difficult to solve. But now we have on-demand vehicles and bikeshare, which seeemed like a distant concept over a decade ago. I've always felt I needed to go more than two stations to make a CTA rail trip justified. I'm not talking convenience but justifying that add monthly pass
I have a friend who lives in Lakeview and works for Google. He normally just bikes down Halsted, and in terrible weather, takes the Halsted bus.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I think 95% is too high of a number. It's greater than 50%, I'd grant you that, but it's not 95%, either.

My oldest friend here in the city just had a beautiful daughter with his partner and I don't see them going to the suburbs. They live in Lincoln Park in one of those townhomes on Lincoln, and have the income to raise the kid in the city. He is definitely a city person, and while she is less dedicated to living in the city, I think she is totally game for making city life work long-term. They're not alone.

Another college friend of mine lives in Bucktown in a two-flat. They have a daughter who's about 10 and I don't see them moving to the suburbs, either. She would totally be game for moving to the suburbs, and he grew up in Glenview, but I really think they're staying in the city.

This is my world. Anecdotal, for sure, but I can't be alone in this experience. The suburbs are still a strong draw, but there are a lot of people in my generation (I'm 43) and younger who are dedicated to making city life work.

Out of my peer group only one couple has moved to the suburbs to raise their kid (and they kind of regret it since no one else followed). Everyone else bought a larger home and settled down someplace near a decent school. It's definitely not the way it was when I was a child where nearly everyone moved out to the suburbs.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It would suck. I, someone who has always either had a single-seat ride to the office or could walk, would really dislike it. But people do have similar commutes every day. I mean, I've known people who lived in Lakeview and took 75 minute transit commutes to the suburbs every day. I'm constantly surprised by some people's tolerance of commutes I'd rather be unemployed than endure. I mean, I've worked with people who had two-hour commutes (one direction). I can't even imagine why they thought that was a tolerable thing to endure regardless of their life situation.

My sister's commute is the worst I've heard about. Lives in Western Massachusetts and works in New Haven Connecticut. Literally crosses the entire width of Connecticut twice each work day (1.5 to 2 hours each way).

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:47 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
^^^ Boy wouldn't it be cool if there was a walkway between the old CNW tracks and the El platform - it could even be called the North West Passage.

I recall one there in the '60s
It didn't really save any time vs. just walking up Clinton Street, which is why RTA sacrificed it for an extra station track back in the 80s.

Unless your train happened to arrive on Track 1, you still had to descend down to the commuter concourse and back up to the passage - or walk all the way to the foot of the platform and over to the passage. Not super convenient.

Now, if they put in a footbridge spanning the station like this one in Denver, that might actually save some time.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
you finally got one right

it's unpopular among the people who post here but it's true, when the kids hit school age, all the middle class people leave

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
you finally got one right

it's unpopular among the people who post here but it's true, when the kids hit school age, all the middle class people leave
Times are changing - back when we started having kids (22 yrs ago) a baby in a stroller was a real rare sight on Belmont ave, I recall one night with 2 groups of very different bar-goers being totally surprised that somebody had a baby out on Belmont - she loved the music coming from Berlin - not so much that from the Blues bar.

Now the same street is crowded with strollers and toddlers chained together in packs for day-care.

We did move to Oak Park, for the schools.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development