HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:17 PM

City, State Fair to Replace Fair Park Livestock Arena With Fancy "Mini-Convention Center"

Quote:
By Robert WilonskyThu., Dec. 15 2011 at 9:46 AM

The reason I called Park and Rec's second-in-command Willis Winters the other day wasn't about downtown parks. Rather, I was curious about an $869,465 item on the Park Board's agenda for today: "Consider a professional services contract with Good, Fulton & Farrell Architects for schematic design through construction administration services for a new livestock arena at Fair Park located at 1419 South Washington Avenue."

Turns out, this is about much, much more than just a new livestock arena. Says Winters, the city and the State Fair of Texas are partnering on a $14-million-ish replacement facility -- the Fair Park Livestock Center -- that would double as a sort of "mini-convention center," as he describes it, a place for livestock and people. People, mostly.

Says Winters, the livestock arena's become "decrepit" and is in desperate need of replacing. But rather than just build a modern indoor sales arena where folks can auction off their blue-ribbon steers during the State Fair, they've decided to go all-out with a facility that would serve as a conference center, complete with an upstairs banquet hall, dining facilities and a catering kitchen. The city will cover around $4.5 million of the cost, using money from the 2006 bond program. "And the State Fair will be raising funds privately for the remainder," says Winters, "somewhere around $9, $10 million."
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...park_arena.php

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Is it not as amazing to everyone else as it is to me the vast pool of development projects happening in Dallas right now? I'm shocked already at the fact that almost every post on this page is a transcription of an article discussing yet another new project. That all on top of other projects, civic and otherwise, that I'm already aware of (Museum Tower, Woodall Rodgers Park, Trinity River Project, the Calatrava bridges, etc.) The scope of all this truly boggles my mind. Way to go, Dallas. Way to go.
Pent up demand (as another poster alluded too) or not this is great news. It is certainly a mix of some stalled projects moving forward, stalled projects being redesigned or having changed hands and new projects coming on board. A lot of developers are starting to make a strike now that construction activity is starting to pick up and the developers want to get in before construction costs take off again. Either way it is encouraging news and impressive to see so many announcements. Right now there are a lot of architecture / engineering firms looking to hire in DFW and I am sure elsewhere. It will be better news once construction starts on some of these and construction workers can get back to work.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 9:26 AM

MATA turntable at CityPlace West station is now up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4OFy...ayer_embedded#!" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 7:07 AM

I love it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 7:09 AM

West 7th Phase III Breaks Ground

Quote:
The previously-announced new loft & retail component of the West 7th development is now officially underway. Cypress Equities broke ground last week on Phase III of their remarkably successful development, beginning construction on 96 additional loft apartments and 32,000 square feet of new ground-floor retail space. As seen above, site prep work is already well underway.
http://fortworthology.com/2011/12/20...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:20 PM
high five!

Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge lit for the first time yesterday

Photo by Justin Terveen

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...he_calatra.php

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:34 PM
high five!

Here's another photo by Justin Terveen

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 7:15 AM

Wow! That is REALLY REALLY REALLY pretty! Another home run, Dallas!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 12:23 PM

Work crews top out Dallas apartment tower

Quote:
By STEVE BROWN

Published: Jan 12, 2012 10:24 AM

The 1400 Hi Line Drive building is under construction on the northwest corner of downtown Dallas across Stemmons Freeway from the Victory project.

The 23-story, 314-unit apartment tower is a project of PM Realty Group.

It's the tallest rental residential building currently under construction in North Texas.

The project will include 27,000 square feet of retail space and a one-acre rooftop park on top of the parking garage.

The first tenants will move into the building – located in Dallas' Design District – later this year.
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ment-tower.ece

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:34 AM

Harwood International leases Saint Ann Court space to law firm

Quote:
By STEVE BROWN

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

Published: 10 January 2012 09:50 PM

A fast-growing legal firm has leased the last full floor of empty office space in one of Uptown’s new buildings.

Kansas City-based Polsinelli Shughart PC has leased 25,267 square feet from developer Harwood International in the Saint Ann Court tower on Harry Hines Boulevard.

With the law firm taking the entire 19th floor, the 26-story tower just north of downtown Dallas is almost 90 percent rented.

“This is the fifth law firm we have attracted to our Harwood development in the last 18 months,” Harwood founder and CEO Gabriel Barbier-Mueller said Tuesday. “We’ve leased almost 240,000 square feet to law firms.

“What has attracted those companies is the mixed-use project we have created,” Barbier-Mueller said.

“We have 17 city blocks here, and we have developed about a third of that,” Barbier-Mueller said. “We think we are picking up momentum.

“Our next phase is going to be what we call Harwood Village.”

The two-tower Harwood Village project on McKinnon Street will contain office, residential space and retail.
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...o-law-firm.ece

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconahey View Post
Here's another photo by Justin Terveen
sick crazy mental awesome. Just keep on impressing me, Dallas.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:20 PM

I still, for the life of me, will never understand the purpose of the bridge, but it sure is nice now that it is lit up. Looks impressive coming down I-30 eastbound at night.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:18 PM

From what I've heard they are site testing on Harwood XII.

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/sh...ter-Plan/page5

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:43 PM

Wow, never seen that rendering before.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:05 PM

That is a handsome highrise that will add to Dallas' luster.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:05 PM

New rendering of "The Square" by Harwood

Harwood is planning on building the next phase of there masterplan. The Square should be rising soon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:12 PM
Ascension

Wow that's kinda awesome.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:14 PM

That's even better!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:52 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

For promoting a "Walk to Life" lifestyle, a lot of the high-rise development in Uptown has a pretty dismal pedestrian experience, with giant carports and landscaped setbacks instead of inviting storefronts. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part the pedestrian experience is lacking for such a major city.

Downtown around Main Street, and parts of McKinney are far more walkable than some of these newer, larger developments. I love the density they add, and how they're building a skyline further to the north, but they really need to work on how their designs meet the street. Especially when touting the concept of "Walk to Life".
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
For promoting a "Walk to Life" lifestyle, a lot of the high-rise development in Uptown has a pretty dismal pedestrian experience, with giant carports and landscaped setbacks instead of inviting storefronts. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part the pedestrian experience is lacking for such a major city.

Downtown around Main Street, and parts of McKinney are far more walkable than some of these newer, larger developments. I love the density they add, and how they're building a skyline further to the north, but they really need to work on how their designs meet the street. Especially when touting the concept of "Walk to Life".
I completely agree, and hopefully that's something these new projects can help to fix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations