HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I take it that you don't like modernist revival towers too much. I have recently come to like them, especially those with vertical elements and mid-century classics (like IBM, GM, Seagram building and UN), I agree that the past is that past and we need to move on to more contemporary styles.
No I don't mind modernist revival, but I was steering towards the point that in NY, at its height, and due to its position, it won't be "as" noticeable due to the surrounding towers. More a matter of presence, and not due to its design.

Similar to how in some parts of Midtown, you can have a stellar design, but even if its 600 or 700 ft, it will get lost in the jungle.

The advantage for this tower is that the location is by the water, so it will be noticeable, but in the grand scheme of things, it will get lost.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
No I don't mind modernist revival, but I was steering towards the point that in NY, at its height, and due to its position, it won't be "as" noticeable due to the surrounding towers. More a matter of presence, and not due to its design.

Similar to how in some parts of Midtown, you can have a stellar design, but even if its 600 or 700 ft, it will get lost in the jungle.

The advantage for this tower is that the location is by the water, so it will be noticeable, but in the grand scheme of things, it will get lost.
Yeah, that's true. It's good though that it isn't taller, because it's a pretty bland design in my opinion despite what I said about appreciating these towers more now..

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:13 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

John Gillespie

A little older...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:21 AM
BANNED

Nice box.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:51 PM

Well...American Copper proves that at least some good designs can emerge on the east side...

Hopefully something will come of that fallow site in the foreground. How many parcels like that exist in the city? None, I'd guess...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 9:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Nice box.
If only it were twice the height. It would make a nice bookend with Trump World Tower.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 1:29 PM

Do we know what's happening with those 3 empty blocks?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post

good question -- this was all i found that wasnt very old

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post

There have been so many plans and revisions for this property. This is where we are.

Quote:
Construction work has begun and the site is now being excavated. Completion is scheduled for 2018.

By that time, the designer and builder might have a better sense of what they mean to do with the vast ditch between the new tower and FDR Drive.

Architectural firm Skidmore Owings & Merrill (SOM) may still be tapped for the proposed commercial tower. There is also a planned public-private park of about 1 acre conceived by landscape architect James Corner, one of the creators of the High Line. But Mr. Solow says he’ll be waiting for this project to wrap up before making any final decisions.

Those would include, presumably, whether Mr. Meier would be going back to black for the other buildings. The architect says he likes the new look: 685’s tinted windows, perfectly clear from the interior, will pick up the changing daylight in a way not dissimilar from his beloved white.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 3:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: 5Bfilms

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

Tak about bland and boring, oh well.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:34 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

I drive by this a lot...it's pretty uninteresting, I must say.

might improve if they cleaned up the vacant lot in front.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This would be more suitable closer to the Citigroup Tower or Near the Lipstick building and not by the water. Its quite sinister, and soul crushing. The kind of place where people jump out the window. Reminds me of 270 Park Avenue.

A friend of mine works at 1 Chase Manhattan in Lower M, and the place is really strict. That corporate strictness that strips identity.

In sum, this tower is soul crushing. Has that JP Morgan vibe to it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:09 AM

Haha. You guys really hate this thing, huh? I think it's badass, personally. This tower is a total 'eff you' by Solow to the community. He wanted to build tall and thin and the community fought him tooth and nail to cut height. He basically said, "you want me to build 'em short, huh? Ok, I'll build it short, fat and sideways so all your views will be blocked." At leasts he hired a brilliant architect to make it beautiful

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:28 PM

^ That might be Solow’s thinking but the NIMBYs probably will not get that message. These people (if they are still around) are thinking how “massive” and “monstrous” this tower is.

You’ll be surprised how little knowledge of building/architecture/planning the attendees know. They are mostly older, retirees that go because that’s something to do and they only have one mindset: stop/stifle/downsize the developers and their proposals.

What they do know is driven by the CB’s anti-development pamphlets and propaganda.

I went to this one for the Solow East side rezoning back in 2008 and I can tell you that most of those attendees are probably not even alive today.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:39 PM

There were shrieks and gasps of horror that reverberated throughout the audience whenever the developer talked about or showed images of the buildings. These people act like a nuclear plant was going up right next to them or that someone was going to murder their family. NYC CB/public meetings are that lopsidedly against development.

I thought I would go to one of them and speak in favor of the development but I felt like I was literally the only person in support of it versus hundreds that were vociferously against it. I was that intimidated by the time I got there that I didn’t even bother to say anything.

All you would hear from the conversations around you were how “terrible” this or that would be.

Last edited by antinimby; Oct 23, 2017 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:28 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Please don't get me wrong here...

...But farbeit from me to wish death upon anyone.

That said;

If in fact the majority of NIMBY's, wherever they might lurk, are getting on in years, it might be a fair assumption to make that a lot of them won't be around much longer.

However those to whom they bequeath their hyperconservative stupidity are gonna fight like hell to keep the smoldering torch going.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 9:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:10 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive