HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 10:42 PM
Me?!?

Okay, cool. I still don't know if I am going yet LOL I can pay at the door and it's only an extra $5 to do so (which is going to a good cause so I don't mind) so I guess this is why I am not rushing to make up my mind about what exactly I am going to do on Sat.

Check this out, a follow-up to the article you posted months ago:

Task force to tackle urban changes

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

BY DANIEL VICTOR
Of The Patriot-News

A task force composed of city officials, college professors and business leaders is trying to improve Harrisburg's urban neighborhoods.

The Urban Studio Project, part of Mayor Stephen R. Reed's Harrisburg Urban Initiative Program, hopes to use architecture students from universities throughout the state to benefit neighborhoods.

No specific locations have been targeted yet, although city planning director Dan Leppo has suggested several.

The idea comes from Auburn University, which in 1993 launched a program to improve one of the country's poorest regions.

According to Brad Guy, the Urban Studio's acting chairperson and director of operations at Penn State University's Hamer Center for Community Design Assistance, the Auburn program has spawned 100 similar charity efforts across the nation.

"We see this as an excellent opportunity to have Pennsylvania's architecture students learn in a unique, hands-on environment, and at the same time help to improve neighborhoods in Harrisburg, and eventually in other cities across the commonwealth," he said.

Robert Philbin, director of the Harrisburg Urban Initiative, said the program should be welcome in the city.

Maybe they can work on issues like this:

City couple shot numerous times in legs, police say

Victims report they were sitting on porch when 2 men approached

Wednesday, June 16, 2004
BY THEODORE DECKER
Of The Patriot-News

A man and woman were shot repeatedly in the legs as they sat on their front porch in Harrisburg early yesterday, police say.

Both victims were expected to recover from a shooting that police say may be linked to an earlier shooting in another part of the city.

In the first shooting, police said they were called around midnight to the 300 block of Crescent Street on Allison Hill.

No one was injured, but a car was damaged by gunfire.

About 12:30 a.m., police were summoned to the home of Marisol Vasquez and Reinaldo Vargas for a second shooting, according to authorities.

Police found Vasquez, 36, and Vargas, 28, who are engaged, bleeding profusely from gunshot wounds to their legs.

The couple told police they had been sitting on their porch in the 1400 block of Reily Road, part of the Hillside Village public housing development off North Cameron Street, when two men they didn't know approached and opened fire.

Both were taken to the hospital for treatment. A 9-year-old boy inside the home was not hurt, police said.

Vargas said he had no idea why he and Vasquez would be targeted.

Police said the shooting might be connected to the Crescent Street incident, although it was unclear how yesterday.

Police, who are investigating several other nonfatal shootings from the weekend, had not made any arrests as of yesterday afternoon.

Readers with information are asked to call police at 255-3131.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 10:45 PM
Me?!?

Stupid fu*kers. But it just goes to show something: all of those cows in the city, and not one of them vandalized like this. Yet they put one in New Cumberland for a few hours, and look what happens...

CowParade loses head during West Shore visit

Butcher of New Cumberland cuts into CowParade

CowParade, police seek butcher of New Cumberland

Wednesday, June 16, 2004
BY FRANK COZZOLI AND JERRY L. GLEASON
Of The Patriot-News

The cow New Cumberland clamored for has lost its head to vandalism.

Police are searching for the culprit who took a saw to "Balanced Diet," a fiberglass bovine that was one of 136 cow statues decorating the midstate in an outdoor art project this spring.

The vandalism, the most serious since CowParade Harrisburg 2004 began in late March, was reported at 1 a.m. yesterday. To make matters worse, the 100-pound painted cow, sponsored by Karns Food Ltd., had only been in town since Friday.

"I'd like to know why this one was picked," said Police Chief Oren "Bud" Kauffman III. The cow stood in a lighted area outside Baughman Memorial United Methodist Church at Third and Bridge streets.

CowParade, a fund-raiser for the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, has been attracting fans and photographers to locations in Harrisburg, Hershey, Camp Hill, Carlisle and elsewhere.

But before "Balanced Diet" arrived, not one of the commissioned cows was on display in New Cumberland. A recent campaign by a group of borough residents prompted Karns to move its sponsored cow from Harrisburg's Riverfront Park to the church.

"The people of New Cumberland enjoyed having the cow and they are as upset as we are that it was damaged," said Byron Quann, Whitaker Center president and CEO.

Kauffman said the vandalism was reported to police by a witness. A man, who left the head at the scene, was reportedly seen running from the statue, but his description was not available.

Scott Karns, chief executive officer of Karns Food Ltd., called the act senseless.

"You expect to see little scratches," Karns said. "But malicious vandalism? It really did surprise me."

Until yesterday, no cow had been the victim of any serious vandalism.

"There were some attempts to tip some over back in April, and a few cows were scuffed up, but no one had taken a saw or a hammer to one of them until now," Quann said.

Karns said it took artist Marion Stephenson of Columbia three weeks to paint the cow with pictures of fruits and vegetables.

"To go out and destroy a piece of art like this is just senseless," Karns said.

CowParade is scheduled to conclude June 26 with a party and auction at the Farm Show Complex. The statues, expected to draw $7,500-plus each at auction, cost $6,000 to sponsor.

Quann said the Karns cow will be repaired. "We have every intent of restoring the cow to its original condition," he said.

The big question is why it happened. "That's what we're trying to figure out," Kauffman said. "We have no idea what the motivation was."

Readers with information that may assist the investigation may call police at 774-0400.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 10:48 PM
Me?!?

One of the state's biggest wine/spirits outlets now in Lemoyne. Next year, one of the state's biggest liquor stores in Lower Paxton Twp. (where Dick's used to be, next to KMart on 22). Interesting...very interesting...

CONSUMER AFFAIRS

Popping the cork

State sells high-quality wine, liquor at new store

Wednesday, June 16, 2004
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

It's big, it's friendly, and has more wines from around the world than you can shake a stick at.

The newly expanded Wine and Spirits Premium Collection Store in the West Shore Plaza in Lemoyne now ranks with the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board's biggest and best wine superstores in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, both in square footage and the sort of quality wines you can buy there.

"We have the most highly allocated, hard-to-find wine here in Lemoyne," said PLCB chairman Jonathan Newman. "If you can't find what you want here, you're very picky."

That might be overstating the case just a bit. While Newman has accomplished much in terms of making the PLCB more wine-friendly, consumers are still unlikely to find all the wines they read about. Of 10 French white Burgundies reviewed in The New York Times last week, just four were in the PLCB computer system and two of those were only available by special order.

A surprise worth mentioning, though, is that all four were listed at prices that were less, in one case considerably so, than the New York prices quoted in the review.

The West Shore Plaza store was expanded into an adjoining space, giving it about 13,000 square feet. In addition to a much bigger selection, it has a cool room for the finest of the fine wines. That makes it much less likely a delicate wine will go bad, at least from the heat. Newman said any consumer who gets a bad bottle from the PLCB should bring it back.

"We'll make good," he said. "We want to be a wine-friendly state."

Guest of honor at the grand opening recently was James Mariani, proprietor of Banfi Vintners, a major wine importer, and of Castello Banfi, the family vineyard estate in southern Tuscany. Mariani is a third-generation Italian-American whose family actually went back to Italy to open a vineyard.

"It didn't make sense to a lot of people, but they saw great potential for Italian wine," he said. "We work hard to bring you wines that are enjoyable, pleasant, and fun to drink."

The premier Banfi wine type is Brunello Montalcino, made from Sangiovese grapes grown around the Tuscan hill town of Montalcino. Brunellos rarely sell for less than $30 a bottle in the U.S. and frequently go for much more. In restaurants in Italy, they tend to be served with a certain reverence.

He offered his 1998 Brunello for tasting, calling it a "beautiful, harmonious wine that brings forth the greatness of the Sangiovese grape variety." Two other, blended reds were also presented for tasting, as was one white, San Angelo Pinot Grigio. Until a little over a year ago, when the law changed, it was illegal to open a bottle in a state store.

Mariani said most pinot grigios are grown in northeastern Italy, which has a cooler climate than Tuscany, and as a result the grapes don't get as much sun. That tends to make wines made from them more "lean and acidic," he said.

In Tuscany, the grapes get more sun and the family has "no problem maturing the grapes to full sugar," he said.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 10:50 PM
Me?!?

HIA train station plan off track

Amtrak drags its feet, aviation director says

Wednesday, June 16, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Plans to build a train station at Harrisburg International Airport are being derailed by Amtrak, airport officials charge.

"They have been less than greatly cooperative with us," according to Fred Testa, HIA aviation director.

Amtrak officials said they were surprised to hear of Testa's concerns. They said they are trying to cooperate, but noted that the project is of greater importance to HIA than the railroad.

The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns and operates HIA, and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Amtrak and Norfolk Southern Corp. have been in negotiations over the proposed station for about three years.

The station would be on land owned by Amtrak and the airport, and its construction would involve moving a Norfolk Southern track.

Testa said that in planning a $240 million expansion at the airport, SARAA revived a plan first advanced by PennDOT in the early 1990s to build a train station at HIA.

SARAA had hoped that the $11 million train station -- which the authority would build, operate and maintain -- would open at the same time as a new parking garage and 350,000-square-foot terminal. All three buildings were to be connected by moving sidewalks.

But only the terminal and parking garage are on track for an August opening. Construction of the train station hasn't started.

The airport already has spent about $1 million on design of the station and relocation of utilities, with PennDOT to pay the rest through various grant sources, Testa said.

Now, he complained, "Amtrak is changing all the rules again."

Three years ago, Amtrak officials said the passenger railroad needed $750,000 to do its share of the work on the station, but they recently raised that amount to $2.5 million, Testa said.

Amtrak spokesman Dan Stessel said he had never heard the $750,000 figure, but that last August, Amtrak officials estimated they would need $2.3 million for railroad protection, flagging, electrical work and other services, not including communications and signal work.

The most recent estimate, which includes the communications and signal pieces, is $3.3 million, Stessel said.

Testa said Amtrak officials also have demanded that they be given eight months' notice between the time the construction contract is awarded and when the contractor is given notice to proceed.

"I don't know of any contractor that is going to hold the price for eight months," he said. "They want final approval of all the plans even though they're not contributing a thin dime to the project."

Stessel said that amount of advance notice is standard in similar agreements that Amtrak has because it deals with several projects at the same time and needs to plan for its workers to be available.

"The last thing we would want is to have a contractor show up at the job site and be delayed by our inability to provide workers," he said. "There would be penalties involved with that."

Stessel added that Amtrak would try to be flexible with the eight-month requirement.

Testa also complained that at a meeting attended by Tim Edwards, HIA's deputy director of aviation, Amtrak expressed little interest in the project.

At the mid-March meeting, Edwards said, someone asked the Amtrak representatives about their level of commitment to the project.

"They basically came back and said they didn't care whether the train station was built or not," Edwards recalled. "This wasn't a high priority for them. They didn't have a high level of interest."

Stessel said it's a "true and fair statement" that Amtrak is willing to go along with the project, but "we would not do it on our own." He noted that a train station in Middletown is only about a mile away.

The Middletown station would close if a station opens at HIA, Testa said.

Joe Daversa, director of PennDOT's Bureau of Transportation and a participant in the negotiations, declined to be interviewed. He said through a spokesman that all the parties are continuing to negotiate.

Stessel said "it would be helpful if these issues were handled through the proper channels," instead of through the media.

He added that this is the first officials in Amtrak's engineering, legal and planning departments had heard of Testa's displeasure, and they were "all taken aback."

Testa said he is less optimistic about the train station's chances now than he was only a few months ago, but he has not given up hope.

"We're going to try to get to Mr. Gunn himself," Testa said, referring to Amtrak President and CEO David L. Gunn.

Quote:
but noted that the project is of greater importance to HIA than the railroad.
This project is important to BOTH organizations. And this is exactly why Amtrak is failing...0 business sense IMO.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2004, 3:25 AM
joining the rail club

/\ Dave...nice articles once again, you are keeping me informed about the latest events.

as for the Urban Studio Project...i'm really psyched about it and i think it will be a great future project for city neighborhoods. maybe Harrisburg will become a top arts and architecture destination in the future. we both know there is a lot of potential

i'm sorry to hear about that shooting...one of the guys who works with me told me about another shooting last week in which a guy was shot for $20 on Market Street in the Hill District. that's why i don't venture to the Hill very often...and never at night :nono:

as for the cow getting it's head chopped off...i laughed at first when i read that. but it really isn't funny someone put a lot of effort, time and money into designing and building the work of art...it certainly didn't deserve to be destroyed by someone who obviously has no appreciation for others. i hope they fry the guy who did it

so the state is expanding the Lemoyne liquor store??? i drive by there pretty routinely and i never noticed they have expanded. hmmm...well i guess this is a good thing, although i still don't like the idea of the state having a monopoly on alcohol. but as long as they do, one of the largest stores should definately be within walking distance of my house

Amtrak should be PRIVATIZED!!! there i said it i got into some trouble on the transportation forum for expressing the thoughts that the national rail monopoly should be carved up and deregulated. Amtrak isn't working to the benefit of the consumer....it hasn't been for quite some time now. that's why the railroad's annual passenger volumes only range between 18-22 million. that's really not a lot of people using intercity rail. i agree more money and resources should be allocated to improve passenger rail, but Amtrak needs a serious overhall. and if it can be fixed, then great. but let's fix it...otherwise it needs to be privatized. portions of it can be operated by the states or joint authorities or whatever. the HIA terminal will link Amtrak's keystone corridor to a brand new 14 gate, multi-terminal, international airport that is recieving above average increases in passenger volumes. and the airport authority will pay for 95% of the cost. duh... it's a no brainer on their (Amtrak's) part! it will mean more passengers using rail to get to and from the airport and other destinations.
Quote:
"They basically came back and said they didn't care whether the train station was built or not," Edwards recalled. "This wasn't a high priority for them. They didn't have a high level of interest."
what a bunch of retards...it's their jobs to care about improving station service and infrastructure. it should be Amtrak's priority to work towards increasing passenger volumes and providing better passenger services...furthermore, this project should fit right into any future "master" plan the railroad would have for this corridor which links Philly, HBG, Pittsburgh, and Chicago.

anyway, i'll stop ranting now. let me know about this weekend Dave. i'm really looking for to it. i work most evenings so i regret that i don't get out that much anymore. but this Saturday i will be rare form

Old Posted Jun 17, 2004, 9:51 PM
Me?!?

You're very welcome, Chris. I'm happy that you are here to keep these conversations going. It may be just you and I talking most of the time, but I know a lot of people are looking. Thank God for the "Views" column.

I totally agree with everything you said, Chris. The only thing that scares me about privitization of the railroads is the horror stories my Aunt in England tells me. They've had some major accidents because of the private companies not keeping up on things like they should. Sure you can really keep a close eye on them, but it's not the same thing when it's ultimately not your neck on the line, ya know?

Still, SOMETHING needs to be done. How Amtrak could not buy into a project like this is beyond me. They are getting a gold platter.

I will let you know about Saturday for sure.

Oh and btw, I think I know who vandalized the cow unfortunately. My old co-worker's bad ass kid and his friends were the first person that popped into my head when I read about. I talked to her yesterday and sure enough, the cops were questioning him about it. I know her very well and I told her to tell the cops that I will handle the discipline for them if it does turn out to be him/them.

And I know it is way off subject, but what the f*ck is up with this humidity?!? I just looked at the figures and it's at 82% right now as I type this. YIKES!!! Those people at Jubilee Day are probably sweating like crazy.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2004, 9:57 PM
Me?!?

:carrot:

Museum regains chance for favored site

Furlow Building buyer consents to lease negotiations

It is in the best interest of the city to see that [Furlow] building developed.

Thursday, June 17, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg's proposed African-American museum might get its preferred site in midtown, after all.

In a possible compromise, the museum might lease space in the vacant Furlow Building, which was already scheduled to be refurbished by private developers.

Initially, both the developers and museum planners knew nothing of each other's designs for the site. The proposed compromise could turn competing plans into complementary ones.

York developers Dorgan & Zuck Inc. have a sales agreement with the Harrisburg Redevelopment Authority to buy the Furlow Building. But the 8-month-old agreement was set to expire June 27.

In agreeing to extend the deal for another month, the authority board this week urged the developers to meet with museum officials interested in leasing space in the building.

Redevelopment authority member Andrew Giorgione said the developers should use the time to open talks with the museum and shore up financing for the $2.5-million renovation.

In addition, the redevelopment authority agreed to lower the sales price of the Furlow Building to $90,000, down from $144,500, in an effort to advance the city's 10-year effort to develop the site.

Fred Clark, chairman of the board planning the National Museum of African-American History, welcomed the compromise, saying he did not want to stand in the way of a private developer rehabilitating the building.

That way, the long-vacant building would be put back on the tax rolls and the nonprofit museum could lease the space, he said.

"It is in the best interest of the city to see that building developed," Clark said. "We wish to lease space in the building."

The museum board's plans call for a jazz club, a soul food restaurant and hotel, along with exhibits tracing black history from the slave trade to the present day.

Originally the development company had planned a mix of uses for the six-story building at 1224 N. Third St., including space for a law firm, other offices and apartments.

Clark said initial overtures by the museum to lease space had been rebuffed by development company officials, who expressed more interest in developing and then selling the building to the museum.

But that proposal could prevent the building from becoming taxable property again, a long-time city goal. "Why not negotiate with us?" Clark said.

Redevelopment authority officials pointed out that the developers' financing was still unclear and no other leases or commitments were in place, making the time ripe to deal with the museum.

Mark Lambdin, vice president of the development company, said he would meet with Clark and expressed openness toward incorporating the museum plans.

"Sure, why not?" he said. "The first floor is just a giant white box right now. We don't care what color paint is on the walls."

Among the museum plans is a mural room.

Clark said the museum also plans to respond to a request for proposals by the Historic Harrisburg Association to use that agency's adjacent building for part of the museum, as well.

In April, the museum board selected the Furlow Building, the Historic Harrisburg Association building and an adjacent vacant lot as the preferred site for the museum.

Hopes were high that the project could become midtown's cultural, social and economic anchor at North Third and Verbeke streets, in a neighborhood that also includes the Midtown Cinema, several bookstores and the Broad Street Market.

However, neither the developers of the Furlow Building nor officials of Historic Harrisburg were contacted in advance about the plans. This produced some initial concern and confusion about the viability of the proposal.

"We never meant to surprise anybody," Clark said.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2004, 9:58 PM
Me?!?

Residents want state to control bars' noise

Residents: Bar noise levels need state touch

State urged to maintain control on bar noise

Thursday, June 17, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Emogene Trexel said she made several late-night trips to the
Mars bar at South and Second streets in downtown Harrisburg.

She wasn't there to sample the trendy bar's trademark martini's, but rather to plead with the manager to turn down the driving beat of the bass-heavy Techno music that was invading her South Street townhouse.

Connie Druckenmiller moved from the 11th floor of the nearby Presbyterian Apartments all the way to the 18th floor. Yet she still hears what she described as the "thump, thump, thump" of music.

And dentist Jim Nesbit is considering moving out of the city, fleeing the noise that he says has become an annoying byproduct of Harrisburg's thriving Restaurant Row.

"At this moment, I'm moving out of the city," said Nesbit, a resident of the first block of Locust Street.

These residents and a few others testified yesterday about too much noise, too little sleep and plenty of frustration in trying to get the Harrisburg police to do something about it.

Their laundry list of complaints were aired before officials of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, as that agency considers whether to again hand over noise enforcement of Harrisburg's downtown bars to the city.

The city's enforcement would give downtown bars broader latitude when it comes to outdoor music during the summer season.

The biggest change would be that downtown bars, clubs and restaurants could plug in outdoor speakers to provide ambience for al fresco dining.

Outside music isn't allowed under the stricter PLCB rules.

In the past, bar owners supported the change, saying the outdoor music adds to the eclectic atmosphere of downtown.

But not a single owner attended yesterday's hearing, the only public session to be held on the matter before the three-member PLCB board votes, probably this month.

Aside from a city attorney and a Harrisburg police captain, no one spoke in favor of the change.

But opponents recalled numerous instances when noise and music from the bars disturbed their sleep, disrupted their lives and deprived them of the enjoyment of their homes.

Ken Morris said he can't open his window to "enjoy the summer breeze" for all of the noise. He said he even installed replacement windows, which cut down on the noise that seeps through even when the windows are closed.

Nesbit said he went so far as to press a police complaint against the downtown bar Fisaga after repeatedly asking the establishment to turn down the volume.

When it came time to have his case heard before a district justice, Nesbit said, the officers didn't show up. He said the bar got off with a "slap on the wrist."

By comparison, when the Liquor Control Enforcement arm of the state police is enforcing noise complaints, infractions can jeopardize a bar's liquor license.

"I think the Liquor Control Board has more teeth to threaten their license," Nesbit said.

Added Trexel: "Has the city proven it can enforce its own noise ordinance? The answer is no."

If approved, the noise-enforcement change would affect 32 licensed downtown establishments from Chestnut Street to Forster Streets and Front to Seventh streets.

Unlike last year, when the PLCB granted the exemption on a 60-day trial basis, Harrisburg is asking that the change be made for an indefinite period.

For the city's part, Capt. Ike Nixon said his officers issued just one citation and one warning during last year's trial. But he could not be specific on the number of complaint calls received, and he expressed shock over some of the residents' complaints.

Nixon added that there are about 12 police officers on duty during a typical weekend night shift for the entire city. Still, he said, city enforcement can work, and that window-rattling bass music should not be tolerated, especially after hours.

"People need to contact me, and I'll rectify the problem," Nixon said.

When it comes to enforcement, Harrisburg would apply a simple test. If the music is plainly audible 50 feet from its source, it's too loud and a violation under the city's noise ordinance.

A PLCB spokeswoman said the agency would review the testimony given at the hearing, then the three-member board would issue a decision, possibly as soon as its June 29 meeting.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2004, 10:04 PM
Me?!?

Mechanicsburg looks at selling rail station

Thursday, June 17, 2004
BY JOE ELIAS
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

Amid the hustle and bustle of today's 76th annual Jubilee Day in Mechanicsburg, bor ough officials will attempt to conduct a little business.

They will hang a sign on the old railroad station on Strawberry Alley, telling the expected 50,000 visitors to the festival that the building could be theirs, for the right price.

Borough Manager Jonathan Stough said the borough has received inquiries from Capital Area Transit officials. The agency could use the former Cumberland Valley Railroad station as a stop along the proposed commuter rail system that would connect Carlisle to Harrisburg, he said.

In fact, Stough said, the borough has received more than a dozen inquiries about the property, including one from the Mechanicsburg Museum Association to establish a Cumberland Valley Railroad Museum.

"Any number of groups want the building because of its location and historical significance," Stough said.

The now-defunct Cumberland Valley Railroad once stretched from Harrisburg to Winchester, Va. In all that distance, just four public railroad buildings remain, and all four are in Mechanicsburg. The museum association owns or leases the other three.

For anyone not interested in a real estate investment opportunity, Jubilee Day offers plenty of other things to see and do, including a petting zoo, pony rides and amusement rides for children. Adults can check out broom making, woodworking and other crafts.

The street fair, billed as the largest of its kind east of the Mississippi River, also features scores of food vendors.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2004, 2:46 AM
joining the rail club

well i'm glad to see the museum is shaping up. i think it will greatly help to contribute more development in the midtown district of the city. it's a great historic neighborhood!

as for the noise downtown...i definately see the residents points on limiting it. there are quite a few nice residential neighborhoods within walking distance of resturaunt row...i would hate to see people start moving out of the city because of the late night noise. these establishments are already making a killing and people are already flocking to them...i don't think we need to trun 2nd Street into a carnival maybe allowing outside noise limited to 50 feet of the establishment, but no noise after 11 during the week and 12:30 on fri-sat??? something like that can work to the favor of both parties i believe. but overall...whatever is decided needs to be enforced.

i was upset i didn't get out to Jubilee Day today oh well, i been to so many of them anyway. it's really a great street fair though! as for the rail station...i think it would make a great museum. they could even have authentic replicas of the old steam and diesel trains that traveled through the valley years ago. as for the corridorone station...i think a site nearby with a modern facility would be more appropriate for the corridor. at any rate...i'm not sure how the commuter rail corridor is going to connect from Sporting Hill Road further west to Carlisle without major reconstruction of the existing lines. those lines are all at grade with dozens of road intersections. that will have to be changed.

the humidity sucks! i spent 6 months of training in south carolina a couple years ago...and the humidity is a lot worse in PA than it is down there; however, you would think the opposite. our weather is really screwed up...hot and humid during the summer and cold and frigid during the winter :nuts:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2004, 7:11 PM
joining the rail club

<b>Road designers aim to appease homeowners
Lingle Avenue, Route 422 plans to be modified</b>

Friday, June 18, 2004
BY MONICA VON DOBENECK
Harrisburg Patriot-News
Of Our Palmyra Bureau

The designers of intersection improvements at Lingle Avenue and Route 422 are going to take another stab at pleasing residents when they present two alternatives at a public meeting Wednesday.

Tom Smith, project manager for Buchart-Horn engineers, got an earful when he presented his first proposal to a standing-room-only crowd of several hundred people in February.

Yesterday, he said he hopes the new designs cause less of a backlash.

The $8 million project would add turning lanes to the intersection, at the border of Palmyra and Derry Twp., with the intention of easing congestion.

The alternatives will probably force 12 to 15 homeowners to relocate, Smith said. That is more than the original design required. But the earlier proposal took the front yards of many houses, and most property owners said they would rather lose the whole house than be left with a less valuable property fronting the busy street.

"These changes were not difficult from a design standpoint, but this is a little different," Smith said. "Usually we try to minimize the takings."

The new designs would still take small amounts from the yards of some homes, but enlarge the yards in others, Smith said.

He said the new alternatives would increase the cost of acquiring properties, but he did not yet have any figures. He said the costs would still be within budget.

Smith estimated that buying rights-of-way would account for about one third the cost of the project.

PennDOT would pay for construction, but the municipalities would be responsible for the rights-of-way. In Palmyra's case, the money would come from a tax plan negotiated with Hillwood Development, the developers of the General Mills plant on Lingle Avenue. Instead of paying full taxes for 11 years, Hillwood would put half its tax money in the road fund.

People who came to the first meeting also were concerned about the increasing traffic in the area, a part of the midstate experiencing some of the region's fastest population growth.

Some said the improvements don't go far enough. One woman called it "an expensive Band-Aid."

Several people blamed the new Hershey Foods and General Mills warehouses, combined with the extension of Hersheypark Drive, for bringing more traffic through the intersection.

Homeowners also were angry at how long the process was taking, because they are unable to sell their homes and were not sure whether to postpone repairs. That is unlikely to change, as the designers try to come up with alternatives to please as many people as possible.

Construction is tentatively scheduled to being in 2006.

Palmyra borough Manager Sherry Capello said the officials involved have been "meeting diligently to move it forward at a fast pace."

"I can understand being in limbo is frustrating," she said. "But if people were sincere in their comments, I think they will look on this favorably. I think we did our best to address most, if not all, the comments from the first meeting."

MONICA VON DOBENECK: 832-2090 or mdobeneck@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jun 19, 2004, 2:08 AM
Me?!?

Interesting... Many of PennDOT's next wave of projects requires homes/businesses to be demolished (this project, Walnut & Progress...). I am curious to see how it will all pan out.

Thanks for the article, Chris.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2004, 2:09 AM
Me?!?

Jubilee Day is like no other day in Mechanicsburg

Some residents take off work to enjoy fest's food, rides

Friday, June 18, 2004
BY JOE ELIAS
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

Mechanicsburg residents survive Jubilee Day one of three ways: they dig in, hunker down or enjoy themselves.

The annual street festival -- which is touted as the biggest one-day street fair -- yesterday drew thousands of participants and clogged streets and sidewalks with carnival rides, food vendors and games.

"It's basically a holiday around here," said Mike Walkman. "I guess you could say it's sort of our national holiday. Everything comes to a halt."

In fact, the annual festival extends to some borough residents a national holiday perk -- a day off work.

That allowed Antonio Granny time to spend with family -- at the festival and inside his air-conditioned home.

"As soon as we smell the food, we're out the door in the morning," he said. "Then before it gets too hot, I'm back inside."

Granny said he takes the day off each year out of necessity.

"I would have no problem getting out of town in the morning," he said. "But there's no way I would get back into town after work."

Yesterday's 76th annual edition of Jubilee Day dawned in the usual manner, with work crews setting up carnival rides, bringing in portable toilets and assembling vendor booths. Meanwhile, borough residents like Walkman prepared for the onslaught of more than 50,000 people.

It calls for some clever planning.

Every day, Granny parks his car outside his home on Locust Street, which doesn't close for the festival and is about a block from all the festivities.

If he moved his car, he would lose the parking spot and not be able to reclaim it until midnight, Granny said. So the family stays put.

"We just have fun and go with it," said Kristy, Granny's wife. "We're right here, why not?"

Others take the passive approach and wait for the crowds to go away.

Sharon Boyd takes the day off from work to avoid the headache of coming back into town.

"I'm not a big fan of the crowds either," she said. "I'm content to just watch everyone else have fun."

Still, for some borough residents and merchants, the annual day of fun brings a measure of inconvenience.

With parking spaces at a premium, borough businesses, restaurants and churches spent Wednesday night barricading and roping off their parking lots.

And with a two-hour parking restriction along some streets, Louetta Hopple moved her car out to Mechanicsburg High School and enjoyed the hassle-free shuttle bus provided by festival organizers.

"It's only once a year. It's not a big deal," said Hopple, who enjoyed the day with her 14-year-old grandson. "The day is a lot of fun, especially for the kids."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2004, 2:31 PM
Me?!?

So how was it, Chris? Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. In fact I didn't get anywhere close to DT this whole weekend. It was a really f'd up weekend.

*I guess it wouldn't of mattered anyway because by the time I would've been able to get down there it said the tickets were all sold out.

Beer festival brews good time downtown

Sunday, June 20, 2004
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

If you open the taps, they will come.

A mass of humanity converged on the 200 block of Locust Street yesterday afternoon and evening for the first-ever Harrisburg Brewer's Fest benefiting the central Pennsylvania chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

"I'm absolutely floored," said Susan Harral, director of special events for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. "For a first-year event, I'm absolutely thrilled."

She said the event was sold out of its 3,000 tickets within 90 minutes of the 4 p.m. start.

The result was a packed group of mostly 20- and 30-year-olds sampling beers from 34 microbreweries in seven states. Tickets cost $25 ahead of time, or $30 at the entrance.

"I love it, it's great," said Matt Deardorff of Lower Paxton Twp. "It's a great way to bring a lot of people out here. It's a little too mobbed for my taste, but what can you do? It's for a good cause."

Barb Perrone said she came with a group from Hanover to test the beers. "We're having a good time," she said. "It is for a very good cause. We're glad we can help."

Most people waded their way through the crowd and spent their time talking to friends and fellow beer-lovers. For those serving the beer, it was a little more hectic.

"It's overwhelming, off the charts," said Bob Rupert of the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery of Milton, Del. "You can't keep the beer pouring fast enough. But it's a great festival."

"This is great, the weather's held out, it's a beautiful crowd, really nice people, and a nice turnout for a first event," said Gene Muller, president of Flying Fish Brewing Co. of Cherry Hill, N.J.

"It's busy, but not overly busy," he said. "It's still pretty comfortable in terms of space."

Besides the 34 microbreweries, Locust Street restaurants served up food, and three bands entertained throughout the evening.

And, there were plenty of portable toilets lined up by the parking entrance to the federal courthouse.

Dr. Stuart Warren, co-director of the Cystic Fibrosis Center at Penn State Children's Hospital and a member of the local CF chapter, said, "We've gotten a tremendous response. The city of Harrisburg bent over backward to be cooperative." He said he hoped the beer fest would be a yearly event.

Warren said about 90 percent of the money raised at cystic fibrosis events goes toward research for a cure to the inherited lung disease. He said cystic fibrosis was first discovered in 1937, but the gene wasn't discovered until 1989.

"Slowly but surely we're making small incremental improvements, learning more about the disease, so that in the next 15 years, I'm quite positive we will have a cure," Warren said.

He noted that people with cystic fibrosis are living into their early 30s today, and the lifespan of babies born today with the disease "is going to be much more than that."

Troegs Brewing Co. of Harrisburg teamed up with the local cystic fibrosis chapter to hold the beer fest.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2004, 2:42 PM
Me?!?

Oh I'm so excited!!! Did you see the extra section in the paper today, "Top 50 in Business and Industry"? They have some really cool articles in there about HIA and Market Square Plaza. MSP will now be opening in Feb. '05 instead of May of '05!!! And a friend and I were down at 4th and Market St. the other day (the spot for the proposed high-rise in the parking lot next to the G-man, across from the Rachel Carson building). Phoenix Construction Group has their sign up, port-o-potties are in place, orange caution fencing is up and it looks like they are doing prep work already!!! Here is what the article for MSP has to say about it:

Pascotti said that, after a four-month period of relative inactivity caused by the indecision of a possible major tenant, planning has resumed for a high-rise building at Fourth and Market streets, next to Strawberry Square and the state's Rachel Carson office building. Phoenix Development finally told the prospective tenant it couldn't wait any longer.

"It was too important of a site and a project for downtown Harrisburg," he said of the decision. "We are not set as yet as to what's going there. We know it will have components of retail, parking, some office space and some housing, but we don't know the price points."

Our skyline will be changing once again!!! :carrot:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2004, 3:00 PM
Me?!?

2-campus law school option due study

Dickinson leader appoints committee to review proposal

Sunday, June 20, 2004
The Associated Press

CARLISLE - The chairman of the board that runs Penn State University's law school yesterday appointed an eight-member committee to study the idea of creating a two-campus law school.

The independent governing board of Dickinson School of Law voted last weekend to study the option of creating a law school with campuses in both Carlisle and State College rather than moving the school entirely from its lifelong home in Carlisle.

"Our goal is a draft agreement that covers one law school with two co-equal campuses," LeRoy S. Zimmerman, chairman of the Board of Governors of The Dickinson School of Law, who will chair the committee, said in a statement yesterday. "That means one dean, one administration, one consolidated budget, and, perhaps most important, a single accreditation."

Supporters of a move say staying in Carlisle would require millions of dollars in maintenance and building renovations. They say moving to State College could bolster the school's reputation and allow students to take advantage of a variety of joint-degree programs.

Opponents maintain that the move would deliver an economic blow to Carlisle.

The other people appointed to the committee were William R. Caroselli, a former president of the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association; Hubert X. Gilroy, a Carlisle lawyer; Lewis Katz, a New Jersey lawyer and principal owner of the New Jersey Nets; Leslie Anne Miller, general counsel of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; H. Laddie Montague, a shareholder in a Philadelphia law firm; Arthur L. Piccone, a partner in a Wilkes-Barre law firm; and J. Rodman Steele Jr., a shareholder in a law firm in West Palm Beach, Fla.

The board is scheduled to consider the draft agreement on or before Aug. 15. If approved, the agreement would be submitted to Penn State's Board of Trustees at its meeting Sept. 10.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2004, 8:05 PM
joining the rail club

hey Dave...the beerfest was GREAT however, there were thousands of people there and it was really packed...infact, it was hard to move around for about 2 hours till the crowd died down. i think i tasted about 20 different beers from 10 or so vendors. i think the event was a huge success. hopefully it will continue as an anual event. next year they should consider closing down more streets or finding another area downtown that is much larger to accomodate all the people.

i read the insert about HIA, Market Square Plaza and the new building on 4th and Market. i'm really excited to see what is planned for that site. hopefully it will be 15-25 floors the skyline is ever improving!

i found another article that tackles the Amtrak/HIA train station debate. i'll post it on here, even though i'm sure you have already come across it.

as for the DSL dual campus...i'm glad the study is going to happen. i just hope that Carlisle doesn't get shafted.

hope you had a great weekend...sorry you couldn't make it to the beerfest. you missed a good time. i ran into so many people i knew...it was really weird.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2004, 8:08 PM
joining the rail club

<b>SLOW TRAIN </b>
Sunday, June 20, 2004
Harrisburg Patriot-News

It's a fact that Amtrak has limited resources and must bat tle the administration and Congress every year for enough money to keep running.

A case in point: Amtrak has requested $1.8 billion for the fiscal year beginning in October, up from $1.3 billion this year. The White House is recommending that the national rail-passenger service be cut to $900 million, which Amtrak President David Gunn calls a "shutdown budget."

But that said, Amtrak often is its own worst enemy. The planned train station at Harrisburg International Airport is a good example.

Virtually every airport in Europe is intermodal, with rail or subway connection to nearby cit ies. This, unfor tunately, has been slow to catch on in America. Though Phila delphia and Bal timore-Wash ington airports notably enjoy rail-transit serv ice, the Bay Area Rapid Transit System was only recently extended a few miles south to serve San Francisco International Airport, at a cost of more than $1 billion. And only recently was an indirect light-rail connection to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport accomplished.

HIA, which hopes to complete construction of the nation's first post-9-11 air terminal by Labor Day, is well-positioned to go intermodal. Amtrak's Keystone Corridor -- part of the main line connecting Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Chicago -- is only yards away from the new terminal. Putting a station there, connected directly to the airport by moving sidewalks, is a natural and overnight should increase patronage on the rail line.

Just across the street and up the hill from the proposed airport rail station is the expanding Penn State Harrisburg. Plans call for a new hotel on the airport grounds. In short, an airport train station promises to be at the hub of an area of expanding activity and importance, including development that cannot yet be known but is likely to occur.

One would think that people supposedly concerned with enhancing the attractiveness of rail-passenger service in America would be enthusiastic ("Take the train to the plane") about this planned improvement in Keystone service. In fact, the Amtrak people working on the project have conveyed the impression that they don't care one way or the other whether this station is built. And the fact that they have managed to dawdle for the last three years well attests to that attitude.

The long-awaited $140 million reconditioning of the Keystone Corridor -- with Amtrak and the state each contributing $70 million -- is behind schedule, as well. The contract in the process of being renegotiated, according to PennDOT spokesman Kurt Wilson. This much-needed improvement, which complements the proposed Corridor One regional rail system, would improve the ride and assure faster trips.

This newspaper has long supported Amtrak in its annual budget battles, believing that the country -- facing ever-growing highway and airport congestion and rising energy prices -- needs an attractive, reliable and affordable rail option for travelers.

But the railroad's inability to respond in a timely way to making the HIA train station a reality and its lackadaisical approach to improving service in Pennsylvania is enough to persuade us to reconsider. Perhaps Amtrak has become, as others have concluded, a hopeless cause that will never revive high-caliber rail-passenger service in the country.

We would like to be proven wrong. But it would require a display of resolve to see the HIA station and other Keystone Corridor improvements completed before it's a lost cause.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2004, 6:40 PM
joining the rail club

i was coming home from work last night at around 9:30 and i always cut through downtown to the market street bridge to get to camp hill. i saw this accident...well what was left of it. city police had front shut down and traffic was all screwed up. i couldn't see exactly what happened but i thought for some reason that someone had jumped in the river or something because i thought i saw river rescue. turns out it was a dui fatality. very sad. i think this is number 10 or 12 as far as murders this year in the city. here's the article:

<b>Crash kills man on Front Street
Man fatally crushed in city crash </b>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

An East Shore man who had just finished walking his dog in Riverfront Park was killed last night when he was struck by a car in front of the Dauphin County Human Services building on Front Street.

The man, whose name was being withheld pending notification of his family, died instantly in the 8:30 p.m. crash near Front and Chestnut streets, said Harrisburg Bureau of Police Chief Charles G. Kellar.

"The victim and his friend had walked their dogs in Riverfront Park," Kellar said, adding that the men were loading the dogs into a red Honda Pilot parked on Front Street.

Kellar said a woman driving a light-colored Chrysler Sebring "at a high rate of speed" down Front Street crashed into the Pilot, missing one man and the dogs but crushing the victim. A man who was in his car three blocks away reported hearing "a big boom."

The victim's black Labrador retriever ran north on Front Street, Kellar said, while the yellow Labrador retriever stayed with the victim's friend. He said the dogs and the friend appeared to be uninjured.

Kellar said the woman crawled out of her car and was taken by ambulance to Harrisburg Hospital, less than half a block away. He said the woman, whose name was not available at press time, would be treated for injuries and undergo blood tests to determine if she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Police covered the victim with a blanket and closed Front Street between Market and Chestnut streets. As a Dauphin County deputy coroner pronounced the victim dead, the man's friend sat on a nearby bench sobbing.

The city Police Bureau Traffic Safety Unit accident reconstruction team looked for skid marks, took measurements and examined debris from the wreck.

"Front Street is a wide road and people tend to drive too fast on it," Kellar said. "This is a 35 miles per hour zone, but we've clocked people going as high as 70 here. Then the road curves and dips past Harrisburg Hospital and we have accidents."

He said motorists on Front Street should be aware of pedestrians entering and leaving Riverfront Park and of cars entering the street from several side streets that do not have traffic lights.

The death was the second city traffic fatality in four days. On Thursday, Kristopher J. Currier, 24, of Harrisburg, was killed after running a red light and slamming his car under a passing tractor-trailer rig at Market and Cameron streets. That accident remains under investigation.

Anyone with information on either accident is asked to call city police at 255-3131.

MARY KLAUS: 255-8113 or mklaus@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jun 22, 2004, 6:57 PM
joining the rail club

hey Dave, more development on the west shore. i think the route 15 location would be good.

<b>Cracker Barrel eyes West Shore</b>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store is considering locating a restaurant in the Mechanicsburg area, a company official at the chain's Tennessee headquarters confirmed yesterday.

"We have been very impressed by everything that has developed so far," spokesman Jim Taylor said. "We have looked at some property located on Route 15."

However, no final deal has been reached, he added. Since the borough of Mechanicsburg does not adjoin Route 15, the property will likely be a Lower Allen Twp. or Upper Allen Twp. location within the Mechanicsburg postal address.

Each year, the Lebanon, Tenn.-based company considers more than 100 sites, but actually builds only about 25 restaurants, Taylor noted.

There are 501 Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores in 41 states. Pennsylvania has 18, including one off Interstate 81 and Progress Avenue on Brindle Road in Susquehanna Twp., and a location each in Carlisle and York.

The country-style restaurant, with old-fashioned general store attached, typically takes about six months to build and employs about 150 people in full- and part-time positions, according to the company's Web site.

ELLEN LYON: 255-8153 or elyon@patriot-news.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations