HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:38 PM

Inside of the new Colisee looks good! can't wait to see the Nordiques come back and play there. (will probably be a decade sadly).

More info on the new Arena and Stadium here, confirmation it will have 3 components. http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...r-sports-house

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:44 PM

Ya the inside does look nice. I also can't wait to see them back. I wonder if all the Nordique logo wearing hipsters will become true fans or just look for another lost team logo to start wearing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Aside from Bell Centre, this will be the nicest arena in Canada by a mile. Way better then the ACC, which aside from Long Island and Boston the worst rink in the NHL.
A bit late for April fools.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:26 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Las Vegas are over 10,000 for their ticket drive. That's pretty good IMO, although of course Quebec City would blow that out of the water in a single day maybe...
Albeit for a ticket drive that started Feb 10th. I'm not sure how impressive that is to get 10k ticket pledges in about 8 weeks. It means something, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:28 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Albeit for a ticket drive that started Feb 10th. I'm not sure how impressive that is to get 10k ticket pledges in about 8 weeks. It means something, I guess.
It's plenty good enough for the early 21st century NHL in a market it desperately wants to be in.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Inside of the new Colisee looks good! can't wait to see the Nordiques come back and play there. (will probably be a decade sadly).

More info on the new Arena and Stadium here, confirmation it will have 3 components. http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...r-sports-house
Oh man, that comments section. Everybody wants it developed by .. the airport?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:36 PM

I like Quebec's new arena and unlike others, find the exterior to be attractive. It should be the nicest arena in Canada, but only for a brief time.

While I question how the exterior will age, Rogers Place in Edmonton will be a step up. Both arenas will have similar capacities with a slight edge going to Edmonton, but Edmonton's arena will have much greater square footage.

new Edmonton arena = 820,000 sq feet
new Quebec arena = 690,000 square feet

Edmonton's new arena will cost $80 million more and have an additional $50 million spent on the 34,000 square foot Winter Garden which will serve as a gathering place prior to events at the arena and also be used for events itself. The garden will also serve as Pedway. Then there is the attached $20 million community rink - another exclusive benefit for the team.

Overall, both will be great arenas, but Edmonton's will have more functional space and more features.

Oh, the Bell Centre might have the best atmosphere of any arena in Canada but it is far down the list for best arena in Canada - narrow, crowded concourses, a third level that is a mile from the ice and an uninspired exterior exclude it from the best arenas debate.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:03 PM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the mouth of madness

archives de montreal

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
lolwut
hes definetly a hab fan Pro quebec (bell centre and Colisee are the best) anti TO and Boston (Leafs and bruins home are the worst)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:22 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
the mouth of madness

archives de montreal
Initial reaction....Holy shit the tower collapsed.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:35 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
Oh man, that comments section. Everybody wants it developed by .. the airport?
My favourite was this idiotic woman:

Quote:
Cathy Murray · Top Commenter · Calgary, Alberta
Great idea -- wrong location... Where will they put all of the parking required for a 17K arena and 40K stadium? ESPECIALLY if there are games on the same night! Not all of the folks can easily take the beloved C-Train...
Why not put it up in the NE where all of the hotels and etc. are being built? You are close to the airport for the teams coming and goings, close to accommodations, close to Stoney Trail and Deerfoot Trail and close to the LRT extension to the airport (when that gets built)-easy access for out of town folks and those throughout the city. The area can be similar to the one in Glendale AZ that has the Cardinals and Coyotes stadiums sharing a parking lot, with hotels, shopping and dining surrounding them..it is a great place! OH WAIT... the current council and mayor don't LIKE developing in the suburbs and want to develop in and congest the downtown and Beltline areas EVEN MORE!
How much do you want to bet she never goes to Flames games or DT. I bet she lives in Airdrie. Oh and her love of the failed Phoenix arena...

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

How much do you want to bet she never goes to Flames games or DT. I bet she lives in Airdrie. Oh and her love of the failed Phoenix arena...
Opportunities like this only come so often for bored middle aged woman to complain about a proposed project doesn't directly benefit them. At least she had somthing more original than "what about the potholes" Those people want to watch the world burn

Last edited by Oilkountry; Apr 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:27 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

I've heard a couple of people at comment that it should be out in boonies. One lady I work with suggested it should be down by the new South hospital Another guy at work wants it out by Crossiron Mills.....he said Ottawa did it right, and then I mentioned to him that they are looking to put their next arena downtown.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
There wouldnt be a lawsuit. The terms of the buyout have already been agreed to if the owner decides to relocate. And the buyout wouldnt be that massive. The city council also voted against exploring options for a new stadium.

The team did negotiate a deal that would see it pay the city should it leave Tropicana Field before 2027 beginning with $4 million per season until December 2018. Those payments would decrease to $3 million per year from 2019-22 and $2 million from 2023-26.

While relocating to another city like Montreal or Charlotte is by no means imminent or a certainty, permanently denying the team permission to explore local stadium sites will mean the end of the Rays in Tampa. A new stadium is not a want but rather a need. Should it become necessary, the team will fill that need elsewhere.

And the Rays are unlikely to wait until 2027 to explore relocation. Unless it has a local deal in place within the next five to seven years, expect the Rays to begin negotiating with a city like Montreal to build a new stadium for the 2028 season. The Rays would then let the city know they intend to move in a few years with the hope of buying the city out in exchange for an early exit ahead of 2027. At that point, it’s more likely the city would accept the deal thereby allowing the Rays to bolt in advance of 2027.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacr...ertain-future/

The buyout would be about $25 mil.

Expansion would require a second expansion team because the mlb isnt going to go ahead with 31 teams.
Thanks for filling in the blanks there. I had thought the buyout was much higher. As for the legality of it, I'll have to leave that to the experts.

As you've probably heard, there is some scuttlebutt about an expansion team in Mexico - Monterrey to be precise. The prospect of MLB putting a team in Latin America is nothing new, though one must wonder if Montreal and Monterrey really are the only reasonable options left for expansion. From where I sit, Monterrey notwithstanding, Montreal's pretty much it. That bodes well for those who want to land a team.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:55 PM

Downtown Arenas are the only way to go. Look how dreary the new QC arena looks in a vast area of nothingness Compared to rogers place Surrounded by high rises and an "LA live" concept gathering place with restaurants,theaters ect. This is the New age of arena's. Toronto has it in Maple leafs square, Ottawa is looking to spend half a billion and abandon a 20 year old arena just to gain it and Winnipeg is going to be building it with true north square. Why anyone would want to miss an opportunity to do something special for a community before and after events is beyond me. You cant tell me that the flames group are building a stadium,arena and convention centre/field house and haven't thought about ways to get ticket buyers there an hour or 2 before the games/events for a bite and a drink. A modern day tailgating that Could be soaked in potential revenue. 30,000x8 + 18,000x41 just in the CFL and NHL. that doesnt include the WHL,concerts and other events. That's not possible by building it away from downtown

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Yeah I agree 100%. In Vancouver, the vast majority of people take skytrain to Rogers Arena or GM place. I guess the old lady thinks that everyone will want to drive their 1980 lincoln continentals 3 times as far to a giant parking lot though, and mentions scuzbag sprawl cities as icons!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
LOL, not sure how you came to that conclusion. The Bell Centre looks like crap from the outside so if you think this new one will look better then the Bell you might be right. This new QC arena looks like some sort of public building you'd see built in the N.W.T or Nunavut.

QC time and again comes out with some of the coolest proposals and designs in the country. They missed the mark here though in a big way. Edmonton is doing it right, the two arenas are lightyears apart in quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
LOL, not sure how you came to that conclusion. The Bell Centre looks like crap from the outside so if you think this new one will look better then the Bell you might be right. This new QC arena looks like some sort of public building you'd see built in the N.W.T or Nunavut.

QC time and again comes out with some of the coolest proposals and designs in the country. They missed the mark here though in a big way. Edmonton is doing it right, the two arenas are lightyears apart in quality.
Bell Center has the look of a old hospital on the outside, its the inside that counts for that one

ACC looks nice on the outside but inside its a dump. I contract for them and its the running joke among the media guys. You ask any CBC guys what they think about the ACC and they will tell you its junk compared to the other rinks in the league. Now mind you when your spending most of the time in the sub level you don't care about concessions and beer taps, but the working floor is what makes the arena chug along and the ACC has one of the worst in the business. It just what it is, you can't be surprised from a arena that was supposed to be just for one tenant, and basketball.

The concourses are small, dated and crappy for a arena its size. You compare it to Phillips Center 1999, for example which opened the same year and the concourses are night and day.

-Photobucket - therevbw

If you just want to compare the ACC to its peers (i.e. arenas that host both NHL and NBA) it is easily the worst out of that bunch.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:36 PM

That Phillip's Center picture you posted makes that place look cheap and tacky. LOL just look at the TV's they have hanging up, are they CRT's? Fine the ACC might have a smaller concourse level then the more suburban arenas or those built in not such confined spaces but this arean was built with a tiny footprint in one of the most urban locations in N.A. The Phillips Centre was built new on a much larger footprint.

Toronto is not even close to being the worst arena in the league, not even close to the bottom. Is anybody saying it's the best? No but you are way off the mark with your assessment.

"You ask any CBC guys what they think about the ACC and they will tell you its junk compared to the other rinks"

OK, Ask me. I worked for Hockey Night in Canada from 2011 until 2013 and not once did I hear any negative comments about the arena. In fact they just built one of the best media centres in the league after the last upgrade. The only joke inside the ACC is the NHL team that plays there.

I worked on all the HNC graphics and team graphics used on game nights during broadcasts.

Posted on: cdn.c.photoshelter.com

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
New Mosaic Stadium from above!

Photo via @YQRstadium
This may be a semi-useless post here, but the Regina stadium needs to be seen in person; it is larger than life. 'Looking forward to her completion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada