HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 11:34 PM

I'm probably not the "target market" for most American stores, but, still, what stores exist in Syracuse that you can't find in Greater Ottawa?

Here in Vancouver, there really is only one retail store that draws me to Bellingham: Trader Joe's.

Everything else is basic, mid-market retail that is not cost-competitive with the Canadian dollar, and really not cost competitive when you include the cost of driving there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:36 AM

Global News just did a report about cross border shopping and said that crossing this Spring was down 30% from last year. So, Canadians still going to US malls are probably doing so because they went down there for other reasons (vacation, visiting family, etc). Flying from Seattle is still cheaper than flying from Vancouver. I'm flying from Seattle to DC in September.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:36 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Don't even get me started about this stupid Canadian airport tax regime.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I'm probably not the "target market" for most American stores, but, still, what stores exist in Syracuse that you can't find in Greater Ottawa?

Here in Vancouver, there really is only one retail store that draws me to Bellingham: Trader Joe's.

Everything else is basic, mid-market retail that is not cost-competitive with the Canadian dollar, and really not cost competitive when you include the cost of driving there.
The same stores nowadays, but people think it's cheaper (even though, as you said, with the cost of driving, it's not).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:28 PM

For supply managed groceries it would still be cheaper (chicken, any dairy, eggs), though I doubt you would more than break even on everything else. If the Costco was close enough to the border, and you fill up on gas while you're down, could still be worth it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I am not a big clothes shopper but have such people in my entourage. There are many clothing store chains large and small that are in Syracuse that aren't in Ottawa-Gatineau.

I don't feel like going through the list of stores at DestinyUSA vs. Rideau-Bayshore-St. Laurent but it's definitely not the same.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 10:33 PM

Bellingham Airport pax count is down due to the low dollar, must be hitting the shoppers too.

I think more stores in the states should allow people to get the balance in canadian when they shop, i know some places will ask if you pay with a credit card do you want that in canadian? People might be less inclined to go shopping if they saw the cost in Canadian $$. There are a few stores in Bellingham that have dual tills where you can pay with canadian cash and get canadian cash back and you see the total price in Canadian.
I just got my bill from when i was in new york, a $59 meal turns into a $78 one :O that sort of thing you don't really think about it when you are doing it until you see it. lol, not that it was an issue when travelling.

Last edited by SpongeG; Jul 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the Calgary area you also probably have more than most anywhere in the country except the GTA.
I suppose that is true.

I usually don't shop in the states anymore especially when we have the same stores up here... keep my money circulating in this economy! I'll buy a couple pair of shoes and golf shirts at Nike & Under Armour Outlets is about all the cash they drag from me these days.

Cigarettes & snuff on the other hand... lol

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 3:41 PM
gettin' rich!

North Block Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
New H&M at Yonge and Dundas, the entire building will be covered in LED / as well as LED Display Screens

http://styledemocracy.com/hm-at-yong...ft-renovation/
Mid-Block Eaton Centre Reno - LED Electronic Signage??

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 6:01 PM

Laura clothing chain files for creditor protection
Store closures possible, but retailer says it will continue operating as it restructures

Canadian women's fashion retailer Laura's Shoppe, which owns Laura, Laura Petites and Melanie Lyne, has filed for creditor protection.

The company, with more than 150 stores across the country, said it expects to close some underperforming stores but plans to keep doing business as usual while it restructures.

Laura admits it experienced large losses in 2012 and 2013, but president Kalman Fisher said sales have since rebounded.

A filing under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act protects the retailer from claims by creditors while it revamps its operations.

"We fully expect to reorganize the business, emerge as a strong and well-financed retailer and continue to serve our customers for many years to come," Fisher said in a news release.

"We continue to fill very important needs in the marketplace. Our customers have shown incredible loyalty to us, and have responded well to our redoubled efforts to please them during these difficult economic times."

He did not specify how many stores might close.

The women's fashion segment in Canada is very competitive, with several casualties over the last two years, including big department stores such as Sears, which is closing stores, and Target, which pulled out of Canada altogether.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/laur...tion-1.3179305

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 3:22 PM
gettin' rich!

Looks like the beginning of some box like sttuctures over Yonge Street. Possibly glass enclosed and hovering over Yonge Street? Is it retail space or cafe/restos with amazing views over the strip?

Why didn't they release a rendering?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 1:40 PM
gettin' rich!

More Eaton Centre Renovation

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 11:58 PM

Simons hits capital region with Gatineau store opening today
Simons, launched in 1840, only expanded outside of Quebec in 2012

By Kate Porter, CBC News Posted: Aug 13, 2015 5:22 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 13, 2015 5:22 AM ET

Simons, a fashion and home decor retailer based in Quebec City, opens its first store in the national capital region on Thursday.

The 80,000 square foot space will be an anchor in the newly renovated Les Promenades Gatineau shopping mall on Maloney Boulevard, employing about 175 people.

A fixture on the Quebec retail scene, Simons is known for carrying labels by a range of designers, including a number of in-house brands such as Twik and Le31.

The family-owned company is in the midst of a major expansion.

Simons opened its first store outside the province of Quebec in 2012, in the West Edmonton Mall.

The store in Gatineau, Que., is the retailer's tenth, to be followed by stores in Vancouver, Mississauga, Calgary, and other Canadian cities in the coming years.

Simons is scheduled to open an Ottawa location on Aug. 11, 2016 at the Rideau Centre mall, as part of the shopping centre's $360 million redevelopment.

The new Simons location in Gatineau opens to the public at 11 a.m. on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...oday-1.3189010

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 12:05 AM

Never heard od Simons before. Are they good?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 12:59 AM

Simons is great.

However, I think if they continue with massive expansion, it is going to ruin what makes them unique. They are expanding way too fast.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Simons is great.

However, I think if they continue with massive expansion, it is going to ruin what makes them unique. They are expanding way too fast.
At least there not doing it Target style!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Never heard od Simons before. Are they good?
It's sort of a hipper, youthful version of Hudson's Bay. It was founded in 1840 and was exclusively in the Province of Québec up until 2012 when they opened their first store outside the Québec in Edmonton. In the next few years, they will open in Vancouver (Fall 2015), Mississauga (Spring 2016) Ottawa (August 2016) and Calgary (March 2017).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:27 AM

Interesting that their first store outside Quebec was in Edmonton. Is Edmonton a good test market for new retailing?

I don't know if this is a true story, but growing up in Peterborough, people used to tell me that our city was extremely average in every possible way, and we were used as a test market for mid-market shopping and new grocery stores.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Interesting that their first store outside Quebec was in Edmonton. Is Edmonton a good test market for new retailing?

They have the biggest mall?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this is a true story, but growing up in Peterborough, people used to tell me that our city was extremely average in every possible way, and we were used as a test market for mid-market shopping and new grocery stores.
Peterborough is also obsessed over by pundits as a bellwether of Canadian politics, so I think this is true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada