HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:08 AM

Hm. Odd. I watched the 22 minutes clip out of curiosity...and it didn't really seem to sexualize or objectify trans people to me...so I don't quite get that.

I do think she has a better point in the reaction video, although briefly touched on, it kind of sucks that the trans part of it is a joke. For a community that is poorly understood, it's kind of shitty that when they do get mentioned its in a sort of "haha that's so weird" kind of way. I think there is some legitimacy to feeling frustrated by that. But I don't read so much sexualization into it. More like "lady gaga is so weird she sings about trans people" to juxtapose against safe vanilla Tony Bennet.

If I had seen the 22 mins clip outside of this context, I probably would hardly have noticed the trans bit. I mean, if it were a gay joke I likely wouldn't be offended because generally I think we are at a point today when most gay jokes, at least public media ones are done in a sort off good faith, and it's not really a stretch to associate the gays with the gaga. Does the trans community it's have well known strong ties to lady gaga? Maybe then it would make sense. But if not it's kind of as relevant as if the sketch had illustrated how edgy she is because she sings about black people.

I doubt the 22mins people meant anything by it and I'm certainly not loosing sleep over it. But it probably wasn't a great choice. Kind of like one of those microagressions.

As for the whole "lgb" community how the "t" sometimes clashes... I think we actually group them together as being too similar too often. Although are definitely similarities I think they are also very different. Being attracted to the same sex is not the same thing as being trans. I mean, they both have to with societies' sex and gender rules, but I'm gay and can't even really pretend to understand what it would be like to be trans. I never felt alienated from my own body, and despite some struggles with coming to terms with myself - being a woman never even occurred to me. In fact when I came out to my mom, one of her concerns was that I stay male. It was jarring to me because that wasn't even remotely the issue (although I was still pissed she added that qualification).

I guess my point is, I don't think it's surprising that trans people sometimes feel they aren't included or understood by the lgb people. Should we work together? Absolutely! But sometimes trying to cover everyone under the growing sexual minority umbrella isn't always going to work. Sometimes the goals and struggles, or where we are in those struggles differ. I think sometimes the trans community it's gets drowned out and get frustrated. At the same time though they sometimes believe their issues should supersede all others which isn't totally fair, especially when many gay organizations fully support trans activism, but aren't comfortable speaking for the trans community.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, you're right cuidad.

In other news...

Marriage equality has reached a new frontier. Estonia today became the first ex-USSR country to legalize same-sex partnerships.

http://humanrights.ee/en/2014/10/est...-partnerships/

Not sure how it works in Estonia, but in the vast majority of Slavic and ex-USSR/ex-Yugoslavia countries, all marriages are civil partnerships. You can go to a church or mosque or wherever for a religious ceremony if you wish, but it is completely irrelevant to what the government recognizes, which is a quick little ceremony at City Hall.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:02 PM
TonyMTL

Was at the Presidents Club for Black & Blue last night, apparently sales are going well, and its going to be the best party they've had in a few years (depending on who you ask of course). If you haven't already considered coming, and its not too late for you, come join the festivities in Montreal this Thanksgiving Weekend

Photo courtesy BBCM.org

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Carbonear is on board again this year.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 11:29 AM

I'm going to have to say after living in the 3 largest metro areas in Canada.
I've also worked on Davie in Van...
Montréal has BY FAR the best gay scene in the country not only is the village one of the largest in North America, there are many other gay orientated or queer friendly bars outside the village which is nice when you need a bit of variety.

Also I see gay couples holding hands in many working and lower income neighbourhoods something I wouldn't really think of doing anywhere in Ontario.

Finally the Québec government posts some really amazing gay equality ads that I couldn't imagine seeing outside of Québec haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsv2iH5PqAE

Last edited by TheGenuineArticle; Oct 25, 2014 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:08 PM

Two guys kissing on TV? How revolutionary.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't disagree with your conclusion, but commercials like that are just about everywhere.

Video Link

I'd never heard of this woman but apparently everyone here has. My FB news feed has blown up with posts about it from people and organizations in St. John's.

Via St. John's Pride:

Quote:
Our deepest condolences and thoughts are with Halifax's The Youth Project. Our hearts go out to the Wichman family, friends, co-workers and the generations of Halifax youth whose lives she touched with her tremendous spirit. From one Pride to another, hold onto each other during this difficult time.
http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:18 PM

Wow I had never seen that good for Newfoundland! I'm not too surprised that other provinces have them it's just the first time I had personally seen commercial dealing with homophobia.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:48 AM

Boom! Good for the Law Society of British Columbia, such bigotry should not be institutionalized.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...oval-1.2818540

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:52 AM

^ Oh, if you are not aware of the issue, in short critics oppose the plan because Trinity Western students must sign a Christian covenant that states sexual relations are to be confined within the bounds of a marriage between a man and a woman.

So now, the Law Society of British Columbia have voted 74 per cent in favour of reversing the society's earlier approval to recognize graduates of Trinity Western University's School of Law.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:06 AM

Hate to break it to you but men or women kissing on ads is so common it's becoming boring.

You think this could only happen in Quebec? Newsflash........Ontario just voted in a majority government head by an openly lesbian Premier and nobody cared. I could see it still being an issue in some areas but generally everyone has moved on.

As far as the Montreal Gay Village is concerned, it definitely struck me as vibrant but my god is it ugly. Montreal must have the most ugly, seedy, unattractive gay village in the country. Compared to Toronto's Church Street it looks like the slums of Calcutta.

Montreal's Gay Village I find is very old school. Seedy and in an undesirable area like in the 1970s when a gay area was automatically associated with prostitutes, drugs, vice, and other unsavory nighttime pursuits. It maybe vibrant but when I'm there I always feel like I'm back in the day when gays were on the fringe of society, dirty, and unappealing.

In such a beautiful city it's a shame Montreal's gay village is in one of the ugliest areas of the city.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Hate to break it to you but men or women kissing on ads is so common it's becoming boring.

You think this could only happen in Quebec? Newsflash........Ontario just voted in a majority government head by an openly lesbian Premier and nobody cared. I could see it still being an issue in some areas but generally everyone has moved on.

As far as the Montreal Gay Village is concerned, it definitely struck me as vibrant but my god is it ugly. Montreal must have the most ugly, seedy, unattractive gay village in the country. Compared to Toronto's Church Street it looks like the slums of Calcutta.

Montreal's Gay Village I find is very old school. Seedy and in an undesirable area like in the 1970s when a gay area was automatically associated with prostitutes, drugs, vice, and other unsavory nighttime pursuits. It maybe vibrant but when I'm there I always feel like I'm back in the day when gays were on the fringe of society, dirty, and unappealing.

In such a beautiful city it's a shame Montreal's gay village is in one of the ugliest areas of the city.
Can't tell if serious...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Can't tell if serious...
I think he's serious. The gay village in Montreal is indeed in a "red light" type of district, hyper urban, a little seedy, ultra vibrant (it´s crowded at five in the morining on the weekends), full of nice architecture... It ain't a Disney type gay village, which I suspect this guy would prefer.

Also, men kissing men in mainstream publicity is not common. No way.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 PM

Behold the slum that is Montreal's gay village

Pink! byAlex Adams on Flickr

Pink Balls Sunset in Montreal from Pont Jacques-Cartier by Heri Rakotomalala on Flickr

Rue Sainte-Catherine by Andrew Myatte on Flickr

IMG_7894 by Andy Nystrom on Flickr

IMG_7846by Andy Nystrom on Flickr

IMG_7819by Andy Nystrom on Flickr

IMG_7805 by Andy Nystrom on Flickr

IMG_7800by Andy Nystrom on Flickr

IMG_7791 by Andy Nystrom on Flickr

Village - Rue Montcalm JeanLemieux91 on Flickr

Picture by oknidius on Flickr

Gay village by Yu-Hao Lee on Flickr

Montreal's Gay Village
by Blake Gumprecht on Flickr

Post office converted to nightclub in Montreal's Gay Village by Blake Gumprecht on Flickr

Montreal's Gay Village
by Blake Gumprecht on Flickr

0910 by ohrwurm67 on Flickr

Paroisse St-Pierre Apôtre, Montréal by François (on & off) on Flickr

Montréal, QC (Le Village) by JasonParis on Flickr

Rue Ste-Catherine, Montréal by Dan on Flickr

Pink Balls Lead To The Building by cleofysh on Flickr

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Oct 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:09 PM

I much prefer Montreal's village over Toronto's!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:41 PM
ARTchitecture

Never been to Montreal's, but I always find Toronto's village to be creepy. It always feels like I may as well just be walking down the street naked the way all the old men at Timothy's and... well... everywhere just stare. I find the place just reeks of desperation. Vancouver's is not as bad but in some parts it feels like that. It's probably not so bad because Davie is the centre of the much larger West End Community rather than just the Davie Village.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:03 PM

Bah, they all win against Ottawa's 'gay village'--a few blocks of Bank Street officially branded as a gay village with rainbow street signs & a few gay-themed stores but really not a gay village at all.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:28 PM
ARTchitecture

Hey, at least you guys have a centralized gay area in Ottawa. All of our gay-specific venues are scattered throughout the Beltline. I'd much rather have a "district" to go to than walking several blocks to get from one to another, though I don't really go out to bars often any more any ways.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:13 AM

Ya, that the Montreal gay village I was talking about.

Although it seems to look nicer then when I was last there about a year and a half ago, it still is in a seedy part of town. I never do the gay scene thing but at least Toronto's is nice and the beautiful architecture of the village and surrounding areas make it very appealing.

I never said Montreal's wasn't vibrant but it looks dirty. Montreal's looks like the place to go if you want to find a strip joint or prostitutes while Toronto's looks like the type of neighbourhood anyone would go to for a nice dinner or cocktail. When I'm in Montreal's village I always think I'm back in the 80s where gays were delegated to the seedy part of town where anybody who is not gay would avoid the area like the plague.

Montreal's village is certainly fun and vibrant but that doesn't change the fact it's unattractive and in a seedy area. If Montreal wanted a gay village as nice as Toronto's in an areas of great shopping, great galleries, cultural venues, beautiful architecture, and wonderful restaurants, it would have to move to Rue Crescent.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Ya, that the Montreal gay village I was talking about.

Although it seems to look nicer then when I was last there about a year and a half ago, it still is in a seedy part of town. I never do the gay scene thing but at least Toronto's is nice and the beautiful architecture of the village and surrounding areas make it very appealing.

I never said Montreal's wasn't vibrant but it looks dirty. Montreal's looks like the place to go if you want to find a strip joint or prostitutes while Toronto's looks like the type of neighbourhood anyone would go to for a nice dinner or cocktail. When I'm in Montreal's village I always think I'm back in the 80s where gays were delegated to the seedy part of town where anybody who is not gay would avoid the area like the plague.

Montreal's village is certainly fun and vibrant but that doesn't change the fact it's unattractive and in a seedy area. If Montreal wanted a gay village as nice as Toronto's in an areas of great shopping, great galleries, cultural venues, beautiful architecture, and wonderful restaurants, it would have to move to Rue Crescent.
You obviously like your urbanity gentrified and sanatized, so I'm not going to argue about this. Crescent is douchebag city. Enjoy if you will.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada