HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I think they meant California as a whole but with Silicon Valley as the hub. They named all the UC's in general and Caltech. I dont know, this list is kind of weird
If not, this is one place I will disagree. Southern CA, in and around San Diego, certainly has an important biotech hub.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:07 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
If not, this is one place I will disagree. Southern CA, in and around San Diego, certainly has an important biotech hub.
Yep, weird that SD is not mentioned if they are talking about Biotech. Another bad list.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:51 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
MacQuarie is an Australian outfit. If they thought anyplace in Asia deserved recognition, I don't know why they'd omit it. The truth is, a lot (if not most) Asian tech is not creative/inventive so much as derivative and routine/mechanical. They certainly have big tech centers, but what have they invented that's utterly new and game-changing? Asia's most creative people tend to try to get to one of the areas mentioned to do their best work.
Outdated, seeping statement there. China is the world leader in patent applications btw - almost double the US, and scientific papers (and Japan is just behind the US, with South Korea after). The region also has the best performing education scores, and highest average IQs.

Also:

https://www.wired.com/insights/2014/...st-reputation/

The problem is though in East Asia creativity almost always HAS to have a commercial bent, at least until recently.

For example, in these schools compared, though the Chinese school kids score much higher in innovation, many would be faced still with getting jobs as doctors, lawyers, business employees etc rather than inventors, scientists and artists (though of course there's currently a sea change ongoing since 2013 - R&D spending overtook the US that year, and by next year may be double).

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ but China is still down the list in overall innovation and has a way to go before it comes close to that of the US or W. Europe. It's big and is hungry for growth but it can't compete and over take the west simply by throwing money at it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:02 PM

So while Albany shouldn't be on this list, I'll defend it somewhat and say it's a pretty big location for the semiconductor industry, and has a bunch of good nearby engineering schools (RPI, Union, SUNY Poly).

It's not a top center, but not a random town, either. There are a fair amount of "brainy" jobs for a small metro, and the economy is good for Upstate standards.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:11 PM

The best student I've ever known here is a French guy born to Portuguese immigrants.

The guy is an absolute murderer. He would kill any class. Math, physics, biology, French, English, Spanish, philosophy... He is a friend I knew at church when I was in my late teens and ruined all the exams at the end of high school. His average rate was above 18/20 (that's like A++) and he was fucking fast even at sport. And girls even found him super cute... Dude, he would've made anyone die from jealousy.

He could've entered any engineering prep school - I wish he had, tried my very best to convince him, he would've been an ultimate engineer, in any matter - but he wanted too much to be a doctor. Then of course, he ruined every exam at the medical school, just as usual. He's got something with healing people, having some sort of faith... He is such a beautiful man, I'm very glad to know him. He's an inspiring guy.

As for Asians, they still have a bit of a complex. For example, they're obsessed with the Fr industry for fashion/luxury goods, which is a bit silly IMO. I don't really care about my clothes. Lol.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Outdated, seeping statement there. China is the world leader in patent applications btw - almost double the US, and scientific papers (and Japan is just behind the US, with South Korea after).
You can patent a new kind of buggy whip.

China is increasingly the location for clinical studies for US and European-invented drugs, for example--lots of papers come out of that sort of thing. And that is the story of tech in Asia: It does back office, manufacturing and contract work for non-Asian companies.

I will begin to respect their efforts more when I begin to feel I need in my daily life things (or processes) invented in Asia and when non-Asian companies are as eager to acquire Asian intellectual property as Asians still are to acquire ours.

Quote:
The problem is though in East Asia creativity almost always HAS to have a commercial bent, at least until recently.

For example, in these schools compared, though the Chinese school kids score much higher in innovation, many would be faced still with getting jobs as doctors, lawyers, business employees etc rather than inventors, scientists and artists .
There's no lack of talent in Asian PEOPLE. Silicon Valley is dominated by them. It's the business and governmental climate in much of Asia that stifles creativity. And perhaps a lack of private capital or other things (China is still throwing tons of capital into dinosaur state industries). The heavy hand of government is actually beginning to come down harder than in recent years on nascent Chinese infotech companies under Shi.

Asian PEOPLE who come to (or stay in after school in) the US and Europe do brilliant work.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Outdated, seeping statement there. China is the world leader in patent applications btw - almost double the US, and scientific papers (and Japan is just behind the US, with South Korea after). The region also has the best performing education scores, and highest average IQs.

Also:

For example, in these schools compared, though the Chinese school kids score much higher in innovation, many would be faced still with getting jobs as doctors, lawyers, business employees etc rather than inventors, scientists and artists (though of course there's currently a sea change ongoing since 2013 - R&D spending overtook the US that year, and by next year may be double).

Video Link
Patent applications and real innovation are very different things. You can patent every slightly different mechanical part in a machine (which Chinese companies do every day). Real innovative ideas are rarely possible to patent - they're dependent on "trade secrets", things like computer algorithms and individual expertise.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:22 PM

Surprised Seattle/Bellevue is not on the list.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:28 PM

Not to mention China's theft of intellectual property to play catch up.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:10 AM

What I get out of this is that "smart" is defined by being into IT, bio science and semiconductors.

Oooookaaaay...

Thanks, investment banking firm, for defining what smart is.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:32 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
The state kicks serious ass as far as research universities go...

2017 US News
Global Universities Ranking

#1 Harvard
#2 MIT
#3 Stanford
#4 UC Berkeley
#5 Cal Tech

#6 Oxford
#7 Cambridge
#8 Princeton
#9 Columbia
#10 UC Los Angeles
#11 Johns Hopkins
#12 U of Washington
#13 U of Chicago
#14 Yale
#15 UC San Diego
#16 UC San Francisco
#24 UC Santa Barbara
#27 UC Santa Cruz
#42 UC Davis

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ankings?page=5

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Since when was Caltech in Silicon Valley? That's like saying MIT is in DC. A day's drive counts?

And Dresden, one of the poorest, least educated cities in Germany, is on the list? Max Planck Institutes, BTW, are all over Germany, not specifically in Dresden.

And Harvard, while undoubtedly loaded with smarts, is known for "cutting edge tech"? Huh? It's probably least known for such things.

Yeah, CalTech. JPL. UCLA. UCSD. UCSB. UCI. Even USC & the Clairemont Colleges complex. SoCal baby! Home of the "Big Bang" crew. Einstein ALMOST picked CalTech over Princeton.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 18, 2017 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:08 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
MacQuarie is an Australian outfit. If they thought anyplace in Asia deserved recognition, I don't know why they'd omit it. The truth is, a lot (if not most) Asian tech is not creative/inventive so much as derivative and routine/mechanical. They certainly have big tech centers, but what have they invented that's utterly new and game-changing? Asia's most creative people tend to try to get to one of the areas mentioned to do their best work.
Do you think they're putting these cities above others? What are you basing that on?

Just about everybody seems to think this. I don't get it.

These are examples, not the top 13 anything.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:13 AM

Yeah, I'm going to have to side on the "we need more innovation coming out of Asia" argument here. I can't speak too much on China, but could write a book on why Japan and South Korea aren't pumping out tech innovations. But two of the main reasons are:

- Both are supremely risk-adverse societies, and innovation requires taking a risk
- Both educational systems emphasize rote memorization from pre-school through uni graduation over critical thinking

Another issue is that both Japan and South Korea have restrictive-to-nonexistent VC environments. "Innovation" gets driven top-down in established behemoths like Samsung and Sony. There aren't any startups built around a single piece of new, cool IP for these guys to even buy.

Also, using the number of patents issued as a proxy for innovation is probably not a good idea, at least for Japan. Patenting silly inventions is actually a competitive activity here: take nationally-famous Nakamatsu-san. This guy files about 100 patents every year, for such innovative products as condoms with magnetic tips and a "wig for self defense" — a strip and a weight are attached to a wig and the wearer swings the wig to hit an attacker. Dr. Nakamatsu has nothing on Shunpei Yamazaki though - this guy hold over 11,000 patents.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:53 AM

So I went through the hassle of googling the book that this is referencing. Here is the blurb:

Quote:
The remarkable story of how rustbelt cities such as Akron and Albany in the United States and Eindhoven in Europe are becoming the unlikely hotspots of global innovation, where sharing brainpower and making things smarter—not cheaper—is creating a new economy that is turning globalization on its head

Antoine van Agtmael and Fred Bakker counter recent conventional wisdom that the American and northern European economies have lost their initiative in innovation and their competitive edge by focusing on an unexpected and hopeful trend: the emerging sources of economic strength coming from areas once known as “rustbelts” that had been written off as yesterday's story.

In these communities, a combination of forces—visionary thinkers, local universities, regional government initiatives, start-ups, and big corporations—have created “brainbelts.” Based on trust, a collaborative style of working, and freedom of thinking prevalent in America and Europe, these brainbelts are producing smart products that are transforming industries by integrating IT, sensors, big data, new materials, new discoveries, and automation. From polymers to medical devices, the brainbelts have turned the tide from cheap, outsourced production to making things smart right in our own backyard. The next emerging market may, in fact, be the West.
I think that gives some insight into how the list was composed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:44 AM

Business Insider is a click bait site. My Ad blocker runs up an impressive number of blocked ads before a pop up asks me to turn it off to continue enjoying their "content".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:12 AM
if I sang out of tune

Did anyone even bother with the link? There's been a sea change since 2013, as the country reaches the final stage of an Industrial Revolution (the bit where they begin to diversify).

Wired.com

China’s Innovation Has Outstripped Its ‘Follow Fast’ Reputation

THESE DAYS, CHINA is growing faster than ever and shattering any perception of it as a follower in the process. Although the country grew into a technology powerhouse initially by following the example of the U.S. tech industry, it is now home to four of the world’s ten largest internet and technology companies – Alibaba, Baidu, Tencent, and Xiaomi. What’s even more impressive is that three of those four broke into the global top ten just since 2013. China’s growing economy is increasingly focused on mobile, and the conviction and passion of its leaders are something to be taken seriously. The opportunity is certainly there — the market cap for China’s biggest Internet companies sits at more than $400 billion — the only thing that needs to change is foreign perception of Chinese innovation.

Whatever the stereotypes that have followed around the Chinese economy (fake iPhones, bootleg DVDs, rapidly produced imitations of every popular game on the App Store, etc), these are all background noise to the country’s actual world impact. Perceptions of China as a country that “follows the leader” have been blown out of proportion for a while, and now it is clear that the nation is an innovator that has in many ways defined markets like search, commerce, social, entertainment, and advertising. With surging growth and a huge untapped market both internally and in neighboring Asian countries, China is well positioned to continue innovating within technology and outside of it. The following are a few examples of how China is blazing new trails that the US hasn’t yet approached.

It’s a Really Big Market

To begin with the obvious, China’s consumer market is simply massive, and it’s primed for surging growth. Its urban areas are booming, and despite government worries about unchecked population growth in large cities, some Chinese scholars argue that all but the very largest cities (those with populations under 10 million) have room for growth. If urbanization continues at its current speed, by 2040, one billion Chinese citizens will be living in cities, a rate of urbanization that is unprecedented in history.

Growth in cities drives other growth as well: according to the World Bank, the Chinese economy was 87 percent as large as the US economy in 2011. Since then, China’s economy has grown at a much faster rate than that of the US, averaging about 9 percent growth each year, compared to a US average of 3 percent. Yes, the Chinese economy has slowed from its formerly astronomic pace of over 13 percent a year in the early 90s, and as the economy continues to expand, growth will become more difficult and slow down. But China is still on track to become the world’s largest economy by the end of 2014, and by some estimates, it has already claimed that title. And it won’t be content to maintain current growth levels — it’s increasing investment in research and development activities at a rate of 20 percent a year, reflecting a national commitment to innovation.

With a population of 1.35 billion, there is an enormous opportunity on the horizon as China’s rapid technology growth continues. According to Alibaba’s S-1, there are currently 618 million Internet users in China. A staggering figure, but not even half of the potential the country holds. Digging deeper, there are 500 million Chinese internet users on mobile and 301 million internet shoppers — online shopping makes up 7.9 percent of China’s total consumption. The market is simply huge, and companies like Alibaba are moving fast to capitalize on it with great success — the commerce giant stated on its S-1 that the total gross merchandise volume on its China retail marketplaces currently sits at $248 billion.

China Has the World’s Biggest and Fastest-Growing Mobile Companies

While Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun got his start at Kingsoft, a very similar company to Microsoft, his new smartphone company is now succeeding in its own right. The world’s fastest-growing mobile phone company, Xiaomi, is seeking to put pressure on Apple — not by copying, but by innovating. Already the third-largest phone manufacturer in China and sixth-biggest in the world (according to Canalys), Xiaomi is looking to get bigger. Weekly software updates to its Android-based MIUI platform, often based on user feedback, put bi-annual releases from Apple and Google to shame. And Xiaomi has found success largely through word of mouth and social messaging, selling online only and avoiding traditional marketing and advertising expenditures. Alibaba is next in line for innovation in this field, demonstrating real promise with its YunOS devices. Interestingly enough, Microsoft is trying to play catch-up now by opening stores in China. Is it too late?

China has had the world’s largest smartphone market since 2012, and smartphone sales have grown enormously each year since. China’s 500 million mobile Internet users add up to almost 50 percent more than the entire US population. State-owned China Mobile is the world’s biggest mobile phone company in terms of subscribers and profits, and the company has been displaying a great deal of interest in expanding its brand globally. It recently purchased an 18 percent stake in one of Thailand’s biggest telcos, True Corporation, for $880 million.

China Has More Social Messaging Users Than the US Has People

It’s hard to overstate how important mobile messaging is in China, as most of its top companies have their own messaging services. Tencent created WeChat (called Weixin in China), which has 396 million monthly active users, and also QQ, a social media platform and messaging service popular among young people. Alibaba recently invested $215 million in TangoMe Inc, the Silicon Valley-based startup behind Tango, a popular free video call app. These giants understand the value of messaging and have paid close attention to how their users communicate through mobile.

Tencent’s founder and CEO, Pony Ma, is often portrayed as a follower instead of a leader, even in China. He prefers to let other companies take the initial innovation steps, then quickly moves in to one-up them — or ten-up them, if you will. And you can’t deny he is a smart man: under his leadership, WeChat is flourishing, and its scope has expanded to become far more than a messaging service: it’s also a global social network, a la Facebook, with 100 million registered accounts outside of China. Users report spending up to six hours per day on Weixin, as it’s the nexus of their social and work lives as well as their commerce hub.

China’s social messaging platforms, although less constricting than Sina Weibo, have recently been subject to harsher scrutiny. Tencent recently closed 20 million WeChat accounts and has closed tens of thousands of false accounts associated with promoting slander and spreading rumors.

China Is Ahead on Mobile and Commerce

Mobile commerce users can manage their money, order taxis, and even invest in money market funds, all from their phones. In the US, these kinds of activities aren’t even close to as widespread on mobile.

Alibaba is the ecommerce giant of China, accounting for about 80 percent of China’s retail traffic. Just this month, soon before its potentially huge US IPO, it launched 11 Main, an invitation-only US retail website featuring a huge range of specialty items, from clothing to antiques to flashy bicycles, and one of the first China-led ecommerce plays in the US. And since adding mobile money market fund investment capabilities, Alipay, Alibaba’s third-party payment service, has brought in $89 billion in assets under management in 10 months, making it already a top three global money market fund and proving that it is more than “the PayPal of the East,” instead, it’s a force to be reckoned with in its own right.

This type of success is pushing some analysts to believe that Alibaba’s market cap could soar to multiple of $100 billion by its IPO — this would place it in the top 5 on the US top 10 list, behind only Apple, Google, and Microsoft and ahead of IBM and Facebook. Clearly, they are the key example that innovation is streaming out of China.

Innovation in China Can Be Tough, But It’s Worth It

While it’s generally cheaper for companies to operate in China, both in terms of production and human capital, the actual software engineering and development is much harder. This is because China’s market has evolved much differently than the US did, moving more aggressively into mobile. As a result, China’s ecosystem and its users’ behavior are much more complex than that of the US. On top of the sheer volume of users, their maturity cycle makes for a much more difficult landscape. As a result, it’s generally the case that if you can build a successful product in China, expertly navigating challenges such as extreme localization, you can really build a product anywhere, although go-to-market strategies will differ geographically. That’s why innovating in China is doubly important — it strengthens a company’s ability to operate all over the world.

This gives China a leg up on the US when it comes to technology flow. Now that the country has reached a certain point in its own tech evolution, look for more China-led initiatives to pop up in the US. At this point, it’s really a matter of delivering quality products that continue to push the boundaries of consumer and market expectations. And although the prospect of Chinese government censorship may turn off Westerners interested in China’s expanding social networks and tech services, the siren song of seemingly boundless Chinese innovation, driven largely by the global ambitions of its CEOs, will probably prove difficult to resist. So it may be time for the US to look to China for inspiration — not the other way around.

Guru Gowrappan is Chief Operating Officer at Quixey, a search engine for apps.

Last edited by muppet; Aug 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:13 AM
if I sang out of tune

And people really need to visit these days, the urban society is pretty much money-less, robotics have replaced manufacturing labour, apps are replacing service jobs (eg restaurants/ businesses with no customer facing staff), and shared property propelled into the market (eg bikes, computing, services and cars, but they have serious problems with umbrellas that are ubiquitously stolen lol).

For example, the internet - be afraid, be very afraid. New (slightly worrying) processes coming out of China - from giant companies once copycats, now innovators, and that now 'Western apps are trying to copy' :S

New York Times:

Video Link

Closer look at one of those companies, Wechat, only 4 years old, but that's changed the global internet already (eg stickers, Moments, voice messaging, e-comm entertainment, audience interaction), and planning much more. Unlike Apple that rolls out its updates every 6 months, Wechat relies on users (ideas, create and feedback) to update itself every week, all open source. In the future parts of the platform may no longer be in control of the company.

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; Aug 18, 2017 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Did anyone even bother with the link? There's been a sea change since 2013, as the country reaches the final stage of an Industrial Revolution (the bit where they begin to diversify).

Wired.com

China’s Innovation Has Outstripped Its ‘Follow Fast’ Reputation

THESE DAYS, CHINA is growing faster than ever and shattering any perception of it as a follower in the process. Although the country grew into a technology powerhouse initially by following the example of the U.S. tech industry, it is now home to four of the world’s ten largest internet and technology companies – Alibaba, Baidu, Tencent, and Xiaomi. What’s even more impressive is that three of those four broke into the global top ten just since 2013. China’s growing economy is increasingly focused on mobile, and the conviction and passion of its leaders are something to be taken seriously. The opportunity is certainly there — the market cap for China’s biggest Internet companies sits at more than $400 billion — the only thing that needs to change is foreign perception of Chinese innovation.

Whatever the stereotypes that have followed around the Chinese economy (fake iPhones, bootleg DVDs, rapidly produced imitations of every popular game on the App Store, etc), these are all background noise to the country’s actual world impact. Perceptions of China as a country that “follows the leader” have been blown out of proportion for a while, and now it is clear that the nation is an innovator that has in many ways defined markets like search, commerce, social, entertainment, and advertising. With surging growth and a huge untapped market both internally and in neighboring Asian countries, China is well positioned to continue innovating within technology and outside of it. The following are a few examples of how China is blazing new trails that the US hasn’t yet approached.

It’s a Really Big Market

To begin with the obvious, China’s consumer market is simply massive, and it’s primed for surging growth. Its urban areas are booming, and despite government worries about unchecked population growth in large cities, some Chinese scholars argue that all but the very largest cities (those with populations under 10 million) have room for growth. If urbanization continues at its current speed, by 2040, one billion Chinese citizens will be living in cities, a rate of urbanization that is unprecedented in history.

Growth in cities drives other growth as well: according to the World Bank, the Chinese economy was 87 percent as large as the US economy in 2011. Since then, China’s economy has grown at a much faster rate than that of the US, averaging about 9 percent growth each year, compared to a US average of 3 percent. Yes, the Chinese economy has slowed from its formerly astronomic pace of over 13 percent a year in the early 90s, and as the economy continues to expand, growth will become more difficult and slow down. But China is still on track to become the world’s largest economy by the end of 2014, and by some estimates, it has already claimed that title. And it won’t be content to maintain current growth levels — it’s increasing investment in research and development activities at a rate of 20 percent a year, reflecting a national commitment to innovation.

With a population of 1.35 billion, there is an enormous opportunity on the horizon as China’s rapid technology growth continues. According to Alibaba’s S-1, there are currently 618 million Internet users in China. A staggering figure, but not even half of the potential the country holds. Digging deeper, there are 500 million Chinese internet users on mobile and 301 million internet shoppers — online shopping makes up 7.9 percent of China’s total consumption. The market is simply huge, and companies like Alibaba are moving fast to capitalize on it with great success — the commerce giant stated on its S-1 that the total gross merchandise volume on its China retail marketplaces currently sits at $248 billion.

China Has the World’s Biggest and Fastest-Growing Mobile Companies

While Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun got his start at Kingsoft, a very similar company to Microsoft, his new smartphone company is now succeeding in its own right. The world’s fastest-growing mobile phone company, Xiaomi, is seeking to put pressure on Apple — not by copying, but by innovating. Already the third-largest phone manufacturer in China and sixth-biggest in the world (according to Canalys), Xiaomi is looking to get bigger. Weekly software updates to its Android-based MIUI platform, often based on user feedback, put bi-annual releases from Apple and Google to shame. And Xiaomi has found success largely through word of mouth and social messaging, selling online only and avoiding traditional marketing and advertising expenditures. Alibaba is next in line for innovation in this field, demonstrating real promise with its YunOS devices. Interestingly enough, Microsoft is trying to play catch-up now by opening stores in China. Is it too late?

China has had the world’s largest smartphone market since 2012, and smartphone sales have grown enormously each year since. China’s 500 million mobile Internet users add up to almost 50 percent more than the entire US population. State-owned China Mobile is the world’s biggest mobile phone company in terms of subscribers and profits, and the company has been displaying a great deal of interest in expanding its brand globally. It recently purchased an 18 percent stake in one of Thailand’s biggest telcos, True Corporation, for $880 million.

China Has More Social Messaging Users Than the US Has People

It’s hard to overstate how important mobile messaging is in China, as most of its top companies have their own messaging services. Tencent created WeChat (called Weixin in China), which has 396 million monthly active users, and also QQ, a social media platform and messaging service popular among young people. Alibaba recently invested $215 million in TangoMe Inc, the Silicon Valley-based startup behind Tango, a popular free video call app. These giants understand the value of messaging and have paid close attention to how their users communicate through mobile.

Tencent’s founder and CEO, Pony Ma, is often portrayed as a follower instead of a leader, even in China. He prefers to let other companies take the initial innovation steps, then quickly moves in to one-up them — or ten-up them, if you will. And you can’t deny he is a smart man: under his leadership, WeChat is flourishing, and its scope has expanded to become far more than a messaging service: it’s also a global social network, a la Facebook, with 100 million registered accounts outside of China. Users report spending up to six hours per day on Weixin, as it’s the nexus of their social and work lives as well as their commerce hub.

China’s social messaging platforms, although less constricting than Sina Weibo, have recently been subject to harsher scrutiny. Tencent recently closed 20 million WeChat accounts and has closed tens of thousands of false accounts associated with promoting slander and spreading rumors.

China Is Ahead on Mobile and Commerce

Mobile commerce users can manage their money, order taxis, and even invest in money market funds, all from their phones. In the US, these kinds of activities aren’t even close to as widespread on mobile.

Alibaba is the ecommerce giant of China, accounting for about 80 percent of China’s retail traffic. Just this month, soon before its potentially huge US IPO, it launched 11 Main, an invitation-only US retail website featuring a huge range of specialty items, from clothing to antiques to flashy bicycles, and one of the first China-led ecommerce plays in the US. And since adding mobile money market fund investment capabilities, Alipay, Alibaba’s third-party payment service, has brought in $89 billion in assets under management in 10 months, making it already a top three global money market fund and proving that it is more than “the PayPal of the East,” instead, it’s a force to be reckoned with in its own right.

This type of success is pushing some analysts to believe that Alibaba’s market cap could soar to multiple of $100 billion by its IPO — this would place it in the top 5 on the US top 10 list, behind only Apple, Google, and Microsoft and ahead of IBM and Facebook. Clearly, they are the key example that innovation is streaming out of China.

Innovation in China Can Be Tough, But It’s Worth It

While it’s generally cheaper for companies to operate in China, both in terms of production and human capital, the actual software engineering and development is much harder. This is because China’s market has evolved much differently than the US did, moving more aggressively into mobile. As a result, China’s ecosystem and its users’ behavior are much more complex than that of the US. On top of the sheer volume of users, their maturity cycle makes for a much more difficult landscape. As a result, it’s generally the case that if you can build a successful product in China, expertly navigating challenges such as extreme localization, you can really build a product anywhere, although go-to-market strategies will differ geographically. That’s why innovating in China is doubly important — it strengthens a company’s ability to operate all over the world.

This gives China a leg up on the US when it comes to technology flow. Now that the country has reached a certain point in its own tech evolution, look for more China-led initiatives to pop up in the US. At this point, it’s really a matter of delivering quality products that continue to push the boundaries of consumer and market expectations. And although the prospect of Chinese government censorship may turn off Westerners interested in China’s expanding social networks and tech services, the siren song of seemingly boundless Chinese innovation, driven largely by the global ambitions of its CEOs, will probably prove difficult to resist. So it may be time for the US to look to China for inspiration — not the other way around.

Guru Gowrappan is Chief Operating Officer at Quixey, a search engine for apps.

I read the link. Bigger and faster does not mean better. China is massive. There are more people within its middle class than the US has people...so of course the potential is huge but 2013 is only 4 years ago. It will take China decade(s) to foment a thriving culture of innovation of its own to truly be on par with the US or Europe. The Chinese government also is very protectionist which enabled companies like Alibaba, Renren and Tencent have grown into behemoths.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions