HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:45 PM

Oregon Square | 2 buildings | XX'-XX" | 5-6 or 8-9 floors | Proposed

My wild speculation has never been so correct - from this week's list of land use intakes:

Quote:
Pre Application Conference to discuss a Type III Design Review and possible Central City Parking Review for a "superblock" development that will include 4 residential highrise towers, ranging from 10 to 32 floors in size. Combined, the residential buildings will provide 1,030 units. The project will include 36,000 sq. ft of retail, 800 below-grade parking stalls and a pedestrian-only central plaza.
Architects are GBD. Site is HOLLADAYS ADD BLOCK 91&102 TL 200, currently the Oregon Square collection of low rise buildings.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:20 PM

Awesome, I really hope the first phase succeeds like it should. This district will surge from a desolate superblock monstrosity into a true urban village, and quickly!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:47 PM

Uh, wow. That's a lot of units. I'm asking myself whether AAT might just be the people to pull off a 32 story residential building in the Lloyd or if it's likely to be Stumptowned. Might that be taller than PAW?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:54 PM

Those blocks have a 325' height limit, including bonuses. At 10' floor-to-floor, I assume the 32 floors are intended to max out the height limit.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:09 PM
A before E

My guess would be two 10 story and two 32 story buildings, that is my hopeful guess. This would mean we would have one to two buildings in the Lloyd District that would be SoWa height buildings and taller than anything currently in the Lloyd District. That would make for quite an improvement on the Lloyd District skyline.

I am really excited to see all the changes in store for the Lloyd District because I could totally see it being a key urban district in the city.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:16 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Whoa. Wow. Wheeee!

Four towers? 1000+ units total? Up to 32 stories high? That's fantastic news! It's so great to see big things happening in the Lloyd.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:30 AM

Now can we get the owners of Lloyd Center to raze it and put apartments with ground floor retail? Can we eliminate height restrictions on this side?? I mean, it's basically a parking lot wasteland as we speak. This could be something amazing and accomodating for years of growth. I'm talking all the blocks of Lloyd Center and its parking turned into midrise or high rise housing and office or hotel space.

I'm wildly fantasizing. This Lloyd addition should put more pressure for at least some of the old mall space to be redeveloped! Sooooo much potential here. And it's so close to really cool historic hoods that will be preserved by developing this land instead.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:18 AM

My wife works in Lloyd Center Tower so I frequent the mall on a regular basis. I'm not sure why you would suggest to raze it because as far as malls go, it's pretty nice. The ice rink is fantastically unique and I'm excited about the coming renovations. No giant mall will ever be awesome but it's definitely not terrible.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Now can we get the owners of Lloyd Center to raze it and put apartments with ground floor retail? Can we eliminate height restrictions on this side?? I mean, it's basically a parking lot wasteland as we speak. This could be something amazing and accomodating for years of growth. I'm talking all the blocks of Lloyd Center and its parking turned into midrise or high rise housing and office or hotel space.

I'm wildly fantasizing. This Lloyd addition should put more pressure for at least some of the old mall space to be redeveloped! Sooooo much potential here. And it's so close to really cool historic hoods that will be preserved by developing this land instead.
The mall is in the process of being renovated, so it's unlikely to be torn down anytime soon.

Hopefully the new renovations better connect it to the streets and neighborhood around it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
The mall is in the process of being renovated, so it's unlikely to be torn down anytime soon.

Hopefully the new renovations better connect it to the streets and neighborhood around it.
The new southern entrance is definitely a good start with connecting to the street. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Nordstrom side, if they haven't already gotten a new tenant.

I could see the western end of the mall get redeveloped where the parking lot is along 15th St.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:01 PM

Having worked in one of those four buildings for five years, I really look forward to the changes. I'm hoping it's enough to enliven a district dominated by bland government office buildings that are dead on the weekends and a mall that turns its back on the neighborhood. While the mall is making a few cosmetic improvements, the State of Oregon building and the BPA building to the east of this site are exceptionally quiet pieces of property. Perhaps that's ok for residential towers with terrific views?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:05 PM

This is great! I was really expecting it more up on the Lloyd Tower super block, but this well do fine!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
American Assets Trust plans another 1,000 apartments in Lloyd District

By Elliot Njus | enjus@oregonian.com

American Assets Trust appears to be doubling down on its plan to turn the white-collar Lloyd District into a bustling residential neighborhood.

The San Diego real-estate firm is already building 657 apartments at its Hassalo on Eighth development. Now it's considering adding another thousand on a site across the street, it has told city development officials.

The publicly traded trust declined to speak publicly about the project before an earnings conference call scheduled for Wednesday.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:01 PM

Man this would be terrific! I hope they can build it close to what they are depicting in their renderings.

from: http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...l#incart_river

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:51 PM
A before E

I would love to see something close to that built on that site.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 12:10 AM

Lloyd center tower (at 20 floors) is the tallest in Lloyd, and East of the river. This project might dwarf that. I hope this gives some incentive for the city to build the 7th ave bridge over I-84. If people could walk from E. Burn to groceries etc. at these two superblocks, it might make for a much different neighborhood.

Also, bikeportland article.

Last edited by hat; Nov 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 1:18 AM

Quote:
I hope this gives some incentive for the city to build the 7th ave bridge over I-84. If people could walk from E. Burn to groceries etc. at these two superblocks, it might make for a much different neighborhood.
I was thinking the exact same thing looking at those renderings. I've been advocating for that bridge for years now and am excited that it finally looks like the ball might begin seriously rolling. Last I heard it might cross between 7th on the north side and 9th on the south side.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing looking at those renderings. I've been advocating for that bridge for years now and am excited that it finally looks like the ball might begin seriously rolling. Last I heard it might cross between 7th on the north side and 9th on the south side.
A bit odd, that configuration. Seems like 7th to 8th on the S. side would be a lot shorter.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:08 AM
A before E

I have to agree, a pedestrian/bike/transit bridge or something like that would be a great idea at 7th Ave because it would give a good pedestrian portal with Lloyd District and the Inner East Burnside District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
A bit odd, that configuration. Seems like 7th to 8th on the S. side would be a lot shorter.
That would also make sense as well, though I think either route would work because once the cost of a bridge is factored in, I don't think the distance would matter all that much.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:20 AM

There's a pretty active discussion about this over on Reddit Portland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland