HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
I think it is not finished yet...wait to comment when it is ready.
Right, not yet. They have to be done soon. Give it some time.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yesterday
washington bridge 181st

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Read more: http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/10/con...rk-avenue.html

Construction Update: The Newly Topped-Out 432 Park Avenue

BY: STEPHEN SMITH ON OCTOBER 22ND 2014 AT 6:30 AM

Quote:
When Midtown’s first two supertall 57th Street luxury towers started rising, everybody assumed that One57, with its deep blue Christian Portzamparc design, would be the more attractive structure. Many saw 432 Park, with its relentlessly spare and square look, as a leach on the skyline, sucking in all the views without giving anything back in terms of aesthetics.

But now that One57 is complete and 432 Park Avenue has topped out at 1,397 feet amidst a minor snowstorm of carefully orchestrated PR, the consensus opinion seems to be the opposite: Extell’s One57 turned out to be a dog, and CIM and Macklowe’s 432 Park has become an icon of the skyline, visible far from Manhattan. (Let this, and the unfortunate clipping of the Jean Nouvel-designed tower above MoMA, be a lesson to those clamoring for more government regulation of the design of skyline-piercing towers.)

432 Park Avenue, photo by ILNY

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

Just realized that "432M" is still in the thread title. Time to change it!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:06 PM

Thread pages

I have no idea where to post this so hopefully the moderator sees it...
how come the pages don't open on hte latest page and go back from there? As opposed to having to click on the last page to see the current posts? Seems navigationally backwards and awkward. So many clicks when the current page shouild pop up and then you can go back in a thread if you want to.

And 432 Park was NOT topped out when the news said it was. The perimeter was floors way from passing the core. Just saying...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:14 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post
I have no idea where to post this so hopefully the moderator sees it...
how come the pages don't open on hte latest page and go back from there? As opposed to having to click on the last page to see the current posts? Seems navigationally backwards and awkward. So many clicks when the current page shouild pop up and then you can go back in a thread if you want to.

And 432 Park was NOT topped out when the news said it was. The perimeter was floors way from passing the core. Just saying...
I'm not a moderator but I CAN help you. on the usercp page, "far left link on the 2nd banner from the top" there is a column to the left. Click "edit settings," scroll down a ways and you can change the order to newest first.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
I'm not a moderator but I CAN help you. on the usercp page, "far left link on the 2nd banner from the top" there is a column to the left. Click "edit settings," scroll down a ways and you can change the order to newest first.
thank you!!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 PM

Talking yeah ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It's almost comical how tall this building is. Like they forgot to stop.
The original design was 2 b 1,300 feet. I guess they said " lets go 4 broke n' get the condo world record!"

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 AM

Is topped out yet?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 11:57 AM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/articles/when-...ers-1414024323

When Size Really Matters
Manhattan’s New Condominium Towers Are Dwarfing Other Skyscrapers

By RALPH GARDNER JR.
Oct. 22, 2014

Quote:
My friend Aris, who has a way of expressing things succinctly, describes Bravo’s “Real Housewives” franchise as “wrestling for women.”

He was similarly profound this summer as we sat in Central Park partaking of certain liquid refreshments from an athletic squirt bottle. Discussing the megalith luxury condominiums that are rising along the south end of the park, he nailed their effect. “They’re turning the park into a courtyard,” he said.

Central Park has always served as a leafy oasis, a refuge from city life. But these skyscrapers are so tall—One57 is over 1,000 feet, and 432 Park Ave. recently topped off at 1,396 feet, overtaking the World Trade Center (minus its antenna) and leaving the Empire State Building in the dust. You can almost feel the breath of the billionaires they’re being marketed to on the back of your neck.

Here’s how out-sized 432 Park is: It makes One57, which previously appeared as if it was giving Central Park the finger, appear modest, even demure, by comparison. If I were a plutocrat who had already plunked down $50 million or $100 million, or whatever penthouses in the building are going for these days, I might be suffering buyer’s remorse.

And there are apparently larger condos still to come. At least one of them, topping 1,400 feet, is certain to give 432 Park erectile dysfunction.

Before you know it, Manhattan is going to resemble San Gimignano, the medieval hill town famous for its dozen tower houses, absent the Tuscan charm.

Nonetheless, I’ve decided to love 432 Park—though entirely for selfish reasons.

A couple of years ago, an apartment building rose a few blocks south of mine, partially blocking my view. This was cause for despair because there’s nothing that taps Gershwin’s “Rhapsody In Blue,” that lends a touch of magic to mundane reality, like the New York City skyline when the lights blink on after dark.

So I’ve been anticipating 432’s contribution to my view shed for a while. Even when it was still a hole in the ground, I calculated where it might rise relative to my apartment, and kept my fingers crossed that it wouldn’t be blocked by some closer tall building.

Several months ago I rejoiced—I don’t think that’s too strong a word; then again I’ve always been a geek for tall buildings—when the crane at its summit peeked out from behind a building that I could see from my living-room window. Though it required binoculars to confirm the sighting.

Binoculars were no longer necessary as the luxury condo rose higher and higher. I know I annoyed my wife, though probably no more than normal, when I daily dragged her over to the window proudly to note the skyscraper’s progress.

I even started to get greedy. A view from my living room wasn’t enough. I wanted to see it from every room in the apartment. I almost succeeded. The thing is so exceedingly tall that, while the building itself never made it that high, I could spot its crane from my East 80s bedroom window, above the apartment house directly across the street that blocks everything else.

The only problem is that I sometimes must leave the apartment. And from just about anywhere else in the city, Park Avenue in particular, 432 Park is out of all proportion. It feels ridiculous in a way the Empire State Building, which looms over Fifth Avenue in the 30s never did.

Perhaps because the Empire State—on a pedestal (or maybe that’s just the model on my mantelpiece) and with setbacks on the upper floors, and a tapered point—seems to acknowledge poetry’s contribution to architecture.

I’ve heard 432 Park, designed by Rafael Viñoly, described as elegant. But how elegant can an edifice be when it so totally overwhelms, when it seems to belittle, its surroundings?

I always fancied the idea that New York’s skyline reflected, literally, America’s rise and greatness through the 20th century.

“Every epoch has another response,” the architect Santiago Calatrava observed when we discussed 432 Park last week. “What is interesting,” Mr. Calatrava added, “is that New York keeps alive the idea of rising up. It’s important to the identity of the city.”

I agree, but I dread to think what these behemoths say about our age, though I suppose that’s preferable to the alternative—a building bust rather than a boom. So I’ll enjoy the view from my window, perhaps purchase a 432 Park model for my mantelpiece if one becomes available, and focus on the refreshments, rather than the encroaching skyline, next time I meet Aris in Central Park.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:31 PM

This thing looks like a space elevator rather than a skyscraper.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:05 PM
BANNED

What the...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 9:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 11:43 PM

I'd still prefer One57's views overall, but MAN dat south view tho from 432! they look like they're taken out of an airplane. no need for google earth.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 11:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 1:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully Google Earth will update the 3d models of certain towers. This tower isn't there and One57 is very outdated. WTC1 and 4 are also over a year outdated.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully Google Earth will update the 3d models of certain towers. This tower isn't there and One57 is very outdated. WTC1 and 4 are also over a year outdated.
The "street view" function is a lot more updated.

http://timgarrattnottingham.co.uk/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
If you go into history view it's the same way it was with individual models. One WTC is updated, 432 park is there but like 2 stories tall, one 57 is about it's height now but no cladding, and 4 WTC is there but the top looks unfinished.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:27 PM
BANNED

The height is great, but other than that, I think it looks like a federal department HQ in the sky. It's seriously that imaginative. Also, It's the height of selfishness in a tower. A tower for rich people where all the beauty will be hidden on the inside, yet giving very little back to the city's average citizens (other than height and skyscraper fans). It takes all it can and gives nothing back. I'm taking about taking space and light away here folks yet offering little beauty to the street. The average Joe won't care about whether it's 400m and whatnot, they will see this cold featureless face of concrete and glass looming over taking up more light and air, then offering little for the eye to appreciate. This is architecture from the 60's spruced up and sold as Roman, Classical, or some other hogwash to rope in all the pundits. Sooner or later this tower will be age and begin to look hideous. This will be a considered a mistake, just like the Barbican in London is a "what were they thinking" building today for the average resident.

It's a cold grey concrete shoulder offered to the plebs on the street, but a warm inviting interior for the .001 percent driving up in their limos. Shame on the developer. And to think he compared this to some old Roman style of architecture. Sorry Mr, but this is more like the State Department in DC on steroids than the Forum in Rome.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive