HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:05 AM

Do they expect that to be enough faregates?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Do they expect that to be enough faregates?
It will be... that is, once the two other entrances are complete. The expectation is that everyone will gravitate towards the escalators, leaving this entrance to be mostly for elevator and exiting traffic.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:16 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Why the hell does that need TWO extra wide gates??

Everything about this is just bad.

Edited:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Metrotown Station's Central Stationhouse is opening March 24.

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2017/03/m...march-24-2017/
God dammit they did it again.
I call it more of a "retard saver" but they put sheet metal over the path of the door so that if the doors open between floors the typical idiot doesn't walk out and fall into the shaft (instead of going "GEE, THIS DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE FLOOR. I SHOULD PERHAPS USE THE CALL BUTTON."
It's not as big of a problem here as the walls are all glass but at Main Street it completely nullified the point of cladding the Western stationhouse elevator in glass.

Edited: Actually, I take that back. It's still a cardinal sin.

Last edited by MIPS; Mar 25, 2017 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post

Yeah, it should be one wide gate and two additional normal gates it it's place.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium2002 View Post
It will be... that is, once the two other entrances are complete. The expectation is that everyone will gravitate towards the escalators, leaving this entrance to be mostly for elevator and exiting traffic.
The East station house won't be ready for another year, though.

Is the West already open? How many gates does it have if so?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:

Well, it's for 3 elevators... Once the other entrances opens, the vast majority of people won't be using this entrance anyway... and many of the ones who uses it DO need the wide gates...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 1:38 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

I'm glad they're working on adding screens at older skytrain stations. That's a big step forward.

However, I would really prefer it if they added Evergreen/Canada line style screens on the remaining stations. There should be one screen over each platform, not just a single screen displaying everything when you get down the escalators. The screens should be as close to the centre of the platform as possible, not visible only from one end. And I agree with most of you that regardless of cost, TV-style screens actually look less professional.

Also, screw Jordan Bateman.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:27 AM
Transit User

Buarrad Station

Seems that new backlit way-finding signs have been installed on Burrard station up above the gates....

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:32 AM

Quote:
This is the elevator entrance, so it does warrant having two wide gates. I was there today and it was pretty easy to get through the gates (vs queuing up for the validators that are now covered over). Most people were walking up the stairs on the right side of the railing so that staircase isn't going to be a headache when it's busy, like the temp stairs on this entrance were.

There was only one elevator working today and it only stops at the ground and the platform - no stop at the mid-level. It's bigger than the old one that was there but not massively so. The second one is the same size, which will really help during rush hour. I didn't take a good look at the third elevator so I don't know if it's the same size or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The East station house won't be ready for another year, though.

Is the West already open? How many gates does it have if so?
The west stationhouse isn't open yet, although they've finally made some progress on it. That'll be open before the end of the year. We'll be lucky if we see the east stationhouse open in a year.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
There was only one elevator working today and it only stops at the ground and the platform - no stop at the mid-level. It's bigger than the old one that was there but not massively so. The second one is the same size, which will really help during rush hour. I didn't take a good look at the third elevator so I don't know if it's the same size or not.
Hmm. This wasn't what I saw when I went there around 4 to 5 pm...

The first elevator closest to the gates apparently broke down right away (hello teething issues on grand opening), so I went over to try the third one that was furthest from the gates.

The elevator was fast going up and down, but not particularly roomy inside. I imagine this is why they put three of them in there to avoid too many congestion issues... They were also slow at matching floor heights and the doors close rather quickly after people have exited, which forces users to hold the call button.

The third elevator stops at the concourse level AND also has a secret level "X". Secret government agents, maybe? lol.

(Kidding... it's not really that secret as people can see it from the glass doors, but it appears to be for maintenance access only and is otherwise off limits to the public.)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:59 AM

in that pic it looks like that woman is holding the gate open

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:04 AM

Quote:

Because the central stationhouse is the elevator/handicapped access to the station - there will be 3 elevators there when complete.

EDIT: nname beat me to it!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
God dammit they did it again. ... they put sheet metal over the path of the door so that if the doors open between floors the typical idiot doesn't walk out and fall into the shaft (instead of going "GEE, THIS DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE FLOOR. I SHOULD PERHAPS USE THE CALL BUTTON."
Some of those "idiots" may be blind people.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 8:35 AM

Quote:
God dammit they did it again.
I call it more of a "retard saver" but they put sheet metal over the path of the door so that if the doors open between floors the typical idiot doesn't walk out and fall into the shaft (instead of going "GEE, THIS DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE FLOOR. I SHOULD PERHAPS USE THE CALL BUTTON."
It's not as big of a problem here as the walls are all glass but at Main Street it completely nullified the point of cladding the Western stationhouse elevator in glass..
The idea is there's at least some visibility into the elevator. It doesn't have to be unobstructed views around the entire cabin.

For everything else here:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 9:40 PM

Why the hell do we need these tv screens anyways since we're talking about it. Who needs more useless advertising or news or weather when we just look at that crap looking outside or on our phones. And also train frequencies are on Translink.ca or other transit related apps or sites or are located on the info boards next to the maps at every station. Much cheaper.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
in that pic it looks like that woman is holding the gate open
Just looks like she's looking back at some people are with her while she's tapping in. The gate isn't closing either.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Why the hell do we need these tv screens anyways since we're talking about it. Who needs more useless advertising or news or weather when we just look at that crap looking outside or on our phones. And also train frequencies are on Translink.ca or other transit related apps or sites or are located on the info boards next to the maps at every station. Much cheaper.
Amber alert, terrorist incident, system maintenance. Translink doesn't pay for any of those screens since they are ad revenue supported.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure every entrance with at least four gates has two wide gates. I just noticed the other day that even the east entrance at 29th, which has no escalators or elevators, has two wide gates out of the four total.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrizzy View Post
I'm pretty sure every entrance with at least four gates has two wide gates. I just noticed the other day that even the east entrance at 29th, which has no escalators or elevators, has two wide gates out of the four total.
I have no idea why they placed so many of those wide gates and also usually on the nearest the side people travel the most so they default to them.

They should be discouraged for use unless absolutely needed...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 7:11 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Seems that new backlit way-finding signs have been installed on Burrard station up above the gates....
I've been seeing these increasingly, particularly at Stadium and Granville. Personally I don't think they look exceptional, at least compared to the amazing backlit station wayfinding signage I've seen in Japan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure