HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 10:01 PM

I won't be one of the passengers traveling there but Branson has the only privately-funded commercial airport in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/bu...21branson.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 10:15 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Marcus, it's not that they're anti-Obama shirts, it's the particular tone of them. It's not that reasonable people can't be Republican, it's that only a particular kind of moron would think Obama is a communist or terrorist, or go around arguing that it's bad for national leaders to be smart.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Gatlinburg isn't bad. It's walkable, urban, and surrounded by beauty. Pigeon Forge is the bad one with the endless strip malls, outrageous Titanic musuems, demon churches, trashy Go-Karts, horrendous pancake places, and, well, Myrtle Beach-transplanted hotels with fake palm trees that glow at night.
and despite being a horrible piece of redneck sprawl, Pigeon Forge has its own kind of "hillbilly Vegas charm" with the old neon motel signs.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 11:14 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Marcus, it's not that they're anti-Obama shirts, it's the particular tone of them. It's not that reasonable people can't be Republican, it's that only a particular kind of moron would think Obama is a communist or terrorist, or go around arguing that it's bad for national leaders to be smart.
Agreed. And it's particularly disturbing to see t-shirts that equate the President of the United States with the most dangerous terrorist leader in the world. I should make a shirt that says, "Branson: Little town. Big mistake."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 11:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

I dont ever really remember seeing anti Bush t shirts in any stores, but I do remember the bumper stickers. They werent equating Bush to a terrorist, the worst ones I ever saw were along the lines of, A village in Texas is missing its idiot, or Buck Fush. They werent calling him a communist or saying he was the same as Osama.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 11:38 PM

Why is it only HALF a Titanic?

Also, towards the beginning of the thread...what in god's name was that fountain monstrosity with flames and smoke shooting out of it?
Was it supposed to do that, or were they having problems with underground utilities?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Look Darla, it shoots flames, wow, oooh, pretty. God is blessing us with his firery glory. They have them there for the easily entertained masses that visit Branson.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:34 AM

My parents took myself and a cousin to Branson some twenty years ago, at the time it had go karts, music and comedy acts. There was also an amusement park we went to. It was good fun for a 9 year old. It looks like some place I'd never want to go now. lol To each their own though, I'm not going to judge those people as I know many old people from my town that go there once a year.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:38 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL View Post
I should make a shirt that says, "Branson: Little town. Big mistake."

Three dancing bananas.

The topography around Branson is fairly striking, albeit not my favorite part of the Ozarks (I camp frequently in the much less populated and screwed up St. Francois Mtns closer to St. Louis).

Last edited by Centropolis; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:44 AM
marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
This is true. Though i don't think the parallels between anti-obama and anti-bush sentimentalism is too far off. Both seem to be a fad rather than based on actual facts or arguments and both seemed to stretch the truth into oblivion. In Obama's case, he is called Osama and such and Bush was compared to Hitler on more than a few occasions.

I'm not sure why i am talking about this, I'm sorry! The photos are really nice.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMADreamer View Post
My parents took myself and a cousin to Branson some twenty years ago, at the time it had go karts, music and comedy acts. There was also an amusement park we went to. It was good fun for a 9 year old. It looks like some place I'd never want to go now. lol To each their own though, I'm not going to judge those people as I know many old people from my town that go there once a year.
Old people LOVE this place. If you live in the central U.S. you probably had an elderly relative who took an annual bus tour to Branson.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 2:25 AM
reticulating splines

It's actually not as cheesy as I would've thought.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:23 AM
Closed account

Well, regarding the poster's comment on the music, I actually like the old timey Christian music. I just don't like religious fundamentalism, which I can separate from the music.

Otherwise, my reaction is eewww.....

Oh, my Dad and his wife went there a couple of years ago and said they would never go back to a place where people had to clap to the music in the shows, and they couldn't even keep up with the beat. So incredibly redneck.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:09 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
and despite being a horrible piece of redneck sprawl, Pigeon Forge has its own kind of "hillbilly Vegas charm" with the old neon motel signs.

-
That, and the entire Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge apparatus knows it's tacky and tasteless and has made that fact the core of its identity. It's only when a place is tacky and ridiculous and doesn't realize it that you have to worry...

If Branson knows enough not to take itself seriously then meh... just another tourist trap, and one that is obviously savvy enough to separate plenty of fools from their money. If it does take itself seriously... God help us all.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:52 PM

I bet they got some really cheap and nasty hookers in Branson.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:32 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Branson is in the same county as the film Winters Bone was filmed, I believe. So you have the whole spectrum of redneckium, from the wrap around shaded, beer coozied, jet ski and party boat folks who seem to urinate gas and diesel money, to some of the poorest white people in North America.

Last edited by Centropolis; Dec 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
I live in the same atmosphere as where that movie was filmed. I live right at the southern edge of the ozarks and that movie describes life for 90% of the people living in the country outside the "cities".

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 1:44 AM

Wow - After viewing those I feel the need to take a shower. I bet Larry the Cable Guy just owns this town. A palpable sense of redneckium truly permeates this village that no amount of 'Tide' would remove from your clothes... Hillbilly heaven fer-sure. Cue the 'Deliverance' music.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 2:30 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Wow - After viewing those I feel the need to take a shower. I bet Larry the Cable Guy just owns this town. A palpable sense of redneckium truly permeates this village that no amount of 'Tide' would remove from your clothes... Hillbilly heaven fer-sure. Cue the 'Deliverance' music.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 2:56 AM
reticulating splines

Git-r-dun!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos