HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:48 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Student housing, apartments planned in city

The 703 N Wells building is around the corner from me. It's very narrow, so either they also bought the 707 building directly north of 703, or they meant to say 10-12 units, not stories. I'm not sure student housing is my first choice on that block, but it's better than vacant storefronts.

Quote:
Student housing, apartments planned in city

By: Micah Maidenberg January 23, 2013

A Chicago-based student housing developer known for projects in college towns is taking aim at the student population in the Loop and jumping into the city's white-hot apartment market.

For its first student housing project in its hometown, Campus Acquisitions LLC plans to convert two adjacent vintage office buildings near the northwest corner of Wabash Avenue and Jackson Boulevard into 160 units with 341 beds, said J.J. Smith, the firm's executive vice president of development.

A Campus Acquisitions affiliate recently paid about $13 million for the 16-story Gibbons and 19-story Steger building and a small, pre-Chicago Fire building known as Pickwick Stable, property records show. In all, it expects to spend about $60 million on the redevelopment.

Campus Acquisitions also is on the move in River North, where it plans an 80-unit apartment tower that would rise about 20 stories, according to Mr. Smith. The firm would build the high-rise on an 8,500-square-foot property at 4 E. Huron St. and 8 E. Huron St. that it recently bought for $6.1 million. It plans to demolish a three-story building on the site to make way for the apartment project.

Another Campus Acquisitions venture paid $237,000 for a small commercial building at 703 N. Wells St., which the firm would replace with a new, 10- to 12-story rental building. And the company also spent an undisclosed sum for six units in a residential building at 1651 W. Chicago Ave., Mr. Smith said.

Campus Acquisition will restore the Steger Building according to historic guidelines and connect it with the Gibbons Building to the west via a bridge over the Pickwick Stable.

In the three-story stable building, Chicago-based Asado Coffee Co. is leasing two stories covering around 800 square feet for a roasting facility and coffee shop, said Jeff Liberman, a co-owner of the firm.

Last edited by emathias; Mar 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM. Reason: fixed URL; fixed streetname

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
Chicago media blows in preservation efforts, they labeled this a warehouse fire, oh well.....
Well thats what it was, but really anytime you hear in the news that theres been a warehouse fire in Chicago proper theres a good chance its an old interesting building with some history behind it. It may not be a landmark in the technical sense, but these are the kinds of places that give the city character and a sense of place. And warehouses are easy to overlook until theyre gone.

I dont know what can be done, but at a minimum there need to be stronger regulations regarding securing the premises once a company vacates. Plywood on the windows simply isnt going to cut it...if you need to brick over the first floor, so be it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Today
I just noticed that boarded up one story building is gone on the southwest corner of Lake and Halsted. Has this been mentioned before or am I just behind?
Anyone?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
The warehouse building that burned was built in 1911 as the Pullman Couch Company, architect R.S. Lindstrom. This was the 38th st. section (photo at http://archive.org/stream/centralman...e/100/mode/2up). An additional story was added in 1913, and a partial additional story added in 1915 by S. Scott Joy, the primary architect of the Central Manufacturing District. In 1919 the building was doubled in size, with the north half added along with the facade section, architect S. Scott Joy (photo at http://umedia.lib.umn.edu/node/66801). An additional story was added, probably to the north half, in 1921. The building remained in furniture manufacturing, later the Western-Stickley Table Co, Howard Parlor Furniture, Harris Industries Lamps, and Westlake Furniture, before closing in about 2006. (urbex photoset here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/manicme...th/6232145267/)
No wonder this place went up fast. Garbage inside as far as the eye can see. Aside from timber framing which isn't always the culprit for fire spread, the floors have alot of wood blocking to dampen the vibration of equipment. This has always been a problem in old abandoned factories in Detroit where fires can really get out of control.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 6:46 PM

That empty lot right next to the Paulina Stop, looks like the developers wanted to put a walgreens with some apartments on top.

What do you know, the neighborhood group doesn't "feel residential is good for that location" The location, right next to the Paulina stop, not good for residential, insane…

http://lakeview.patch.com/articles/o...op-development

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 6:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
That empty lot right next to the Paulina Stop, looks like the developers wanted to put a walgreens with some apartments on top.

What do you know, the neighborhood group doesn't "feel residential is good for that location" The location, right next to the Paulina stop, not good for residential, insane…

^ More NIMBY scum

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:

Wow. Just wow.

All I know is this needs to be fought or that plot will become similar to the Walgreens development at the Sheridan red line stop. Which is an opportunity lost by the city and neighborhood. And one cannot argue against residential because traffic if you are implementing a store which encourages driving. Its hypocritical.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:

Bunch of idiots. Why would the "neighborhood" group be against residential?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:30 PM
pragmatist

Quote:
What do you know, the neighborhood group doesn't "feel residential is good for that location"
Yay, FINALLY a great place for my toxic waste rendering facility! Don't worry, we'll give out free "candy" to all the local kids. Urp.

Meanwhile, by depressing the fair market value that CTA can get for its land, these people are helping raise everyone's fares. Hooray for selfish NIMBYs!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 9:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Anyone?
IIRC it will be a one-story retail building with parking in rear.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 9:57 PM

Jesus. Sorry I asked, but thanks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 10:21 PM
The City

^ So they are tearing down a one story building that has room for parking in the back, and replacing it with:

A one story building with parking out back.

Yeah, that sounds like a good business plan...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 10:26 PM

No, don't you get it? They'll lose money on it; it's genius!! It's like "The Producers"!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 10:33 PM

^ I wouldn't be surprised if what was there was just unusable. However I do vaguely recall them redoing the exterior brickwork on the north side very recently, like no more that 9-12 months ago...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 2:44 AM

Speaking of warehouse fires...

http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/20...-ice/?mod=e2fb

Sure was cold today.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 3:03 AM
dream fast

Awesome shots^. Mr Freeze had his way.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 3:07 AM

That is awesome! Well aside from the whole fire thing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 3:17 AM

Quote:
^ I wouldn't be surprised if what was there was just unusable. However I do vaguely recall them redoing the exterior brickwork on the north side very recently, like no more that 9-12 months ago...

It's not necessarily that it is unusable, it is that it is obsolete. No tenant wants to lease a crappy old building with 8.5' clearances that they will have to pay out the ass to renovate. People often underestimate the differential between the cost of building new and demo/retrofit of older structures.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 12:29 PM

Hey Guys,

Longtime reader. I have rarely posted before but this warehouse fire in Bridgeport just made me sick. I couldn't agree more with UntitledReality and KingoftheHill about the importance of preserving these old Chicago Warehouse buildings. However, but the comment by Lasalle.St.Station just got me thinking about the Wrigley manufacturing plant up the street. Does everyone know that the plan for that site is a strip mall? The Alderman (Balcer) is very supportive of its demolition and is fed up with all the vacant warehouse property in his ward and wants to get rid of the PUD as soon as possible.

Here are the links to the development and site plan from the current owner Avgeris & Associates:

http://www.avgerisinc.com/details.php?id=67

http://www.avgerisinc.com/admin/ckfi...ite%20Plan.pdf

Does this make anyone else ill? With all the potential in that area why are we pushing for this suburban plan?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradss View Post
Does this make anyone else ill? With all the potential in that area why are we pushing for this suburban plan?
Great architecture on the Big Box, and look at all those beautiful parking lots!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development