HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Saint Lawrence Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:33 PM

[Halifax] LeMarchant Place | ? m | 7 fl | Completed

This was brought up on the General Updates & News thread. Since will be a significant development for the area I think a dedicated thread suites this proposal well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
According to the allnovascotia.com, Dalhousie University is planning to build a new $30 -$35 million dollar residence for about 300 students. It should be complete by September 2012 and be on LeMarchant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Hmm... I wonder where on LeMarchant? I can't think of any empty lots, so maybe they are taking down some of the "homes" that they own and had converted to office space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
I caught the tail end of a news snippet the other night that was talking about Dal and mentioned a $30M price tag that also included a new sports facility to replace Dalplex....perhaps this is part of the same.
Quote:
It is described in more detail in this report (http://campusplan.dal.ca/Files/Report_Sept_2009.pdf) on page 24 (of 206 pages). It will be 6 floors of 30,000 square feet per floor with the first 2 floors being offices and student services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Ahhh ok.

This is where it is going:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf5...42&lvl=2&sty=b

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 12:30 AM

The connection between the new residence and the Dalplex expansion is explained here (http://dalnews.dal.ca/2010/04/26/fitness.html) :
Quote:
The Dalhousie Campus Plan proposes that a new fitness centre be built on the space currently occupied by the aging Eliza Ritchie Hall. The university won’t be able to spare those beds until a mixed-use building on LeMarchant Street with 300 new residence spaces is built by September 2012. That means the earliest expected opening date for a fitness centre is sometime in 2014 ...

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:34 PM

From todays Herald:

Dalhousie plans to build $33m student residence

Dalhousie University is planning to build a roughly $33-million student residence in Halifax that will accommodate 300 people, the school said on its website Thurs day.

It will be on LeMarchant Street, across from Risley Hall, and should be ready for occupancy in September 2012.

Construction is to start next February after university-owned houses on the building site are demolished, said dalnews.dal.ca.

One of four houses will be relocated on campus, the website said.

“With an increasing proportion of students coming from out of the province, we need more beds, especially due to the declining population of university-bound students in the region," Jeff Lamb, Dalhousie’s assistant vice-presi dent of facilities management, said on the website.

Funding for the project comes, in part, from the school’s sale of Fenwick Tower, the south-end highrise that used to house Dal housie students. The new Dalhousie residence is to incorporate sustainable build ing practices, the website said.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:38 PM

I just hope it looks better then the last residence they built.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:25 AM
Honored Member

According to the allnovascotia.com, Dalhousie University has approved their $600 million dollar masterplan.

The first project will be the LaMarchant Street residences which is currently in the design phase and could start as soon as the summer of 2011. It will be 7 storeys high and cost $35 million to $45 million.

The Masterplan also includes a major Sexton Campus building (Engineering/Architecture campus which is close to the proposed new Central Library), twin 17 - 20 storey Sir Charles Tupper Buildings, and renovations and expansions of the Dalplex , Arts Centre (Rebecca Cohn Auditorium) and Killiam Library. It appears from renderings in the most recent masterplan that the exterior of the Killam LIbrary will be replaced with glass.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
It appears from renderings in the most recent masterplan that the exterior of the Killam LIbrary will be replaced with glass.
Interesting. To me the Killam Library is a very mixed building with some good aspects and some bad aspects. Many people like the atrium in particular, with its natural light, trees, water features, and windows into the library. I also like some other ground-floor interior spaces and staircases.

The exterior is interesting but could be greatly improved if well-handled. The plaza at the base and the stone in the ground floor wall is attractive and would go well with glass.

One of the worst aspects of the building is some of the windowless offices in upper floors. I knew a prof stuck up there and would have hated to have to sit in that office (although she totally deserved it ).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:08 AM
Honored Member

Here is a rendering of the Killam renovation. I will miss the current brutalist exterior.

PS: The page below mentions an addition to the Killam and the accompanying sketch shows an addition covering two sides. So, I am not sure if the entire Killam exterior will be replaced or just the two sides where the addition is going.

(source: http://campusplan.dal.ca/Files/Dalho...5209-14-10.pdf )

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I really like the "Lower Quad" design, and the idea of restoring some symmetry to that area. Right now the main quad area does not relate very well to University Avenue.

The LeMarchant/gym site is also a nice central location to add more academic space.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 12:31 AM

Case 17156 Details

This was brought up in the General Updates & News Thread.

Public Information September 7th at 7pm in the Rowe Management Building (Dalhousie University Avenue).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:08 AM

Interesting... finding it hard to read the elevation drawings. Doesn't look like the other recent residence buildings ... so maybe good?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I can't tell if I like the design from the elevations but given the architects and the more elaborate facade my guess is that this will be a step up from the ugly building across the street. The fact that they thought to make this a mixed-use building is another very good sign. And the site plan is better than Risley.

This will be a welcome addition to South Street.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 2:39 PM

From CBC online...

New Dalhousie residence worries homeowners

Plans by Dalhousie University to build a third student residence along South Street have local homeowners worried about increased noise in the neighbourhood.

The university has applied to rezone some of its properties at the corner of LeMarchant and South streets in order to construct a seven-storey residence for more than 300 students.

Once the residence is built, there will be a total of 1,300 students in the area.

Brad McRae, who lives kitty corner to the proposed development, said he and his neighbours are worried their sleep will be disrupted by noisy students coming home from downtown bars in the wee hours of the morning.

"The students walk down South Street to go to the bars that are open until 4 a.m. so you can have a pretty sleepless night," McRae said.

The rest of the story is here.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 6:19 PM
Fizzix geek

Arg... this is my neighbourhood, and not ALL of us feel that way.
Hell, when you choose to buy in a downtown neighbourhood close to a university you choose live in a place with ambient background noise of students.

It was funny last night actually... there were some drunk students playing on the slides at LeMarchant School and screaming away at like 2 am... I finally yelled out the window "Shut the #$%@ up", to which one of the respond "Pardon?". I repeated it and they said "Sorry!" and quieted down. The politeness of their response was rather humorous counter-point to their drunkedness.

When students are being destructive with property, leaving garbage on their front lawns etc etc, that is one thing. When students do that they are going to hear from me.
But playing music at reasonable hours and generally being a silly university student is just the background of life in this area!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 6:36 PM
Urban Thinker

It's silly to complain about this sort of stuff when you choose to live right next to the University.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 7:56 PM

It's an urban area - people should expect noise. Especially living around a university. It's impossible for the city to regulate how people will use the street, where they walk...that's just pointless.

People need to grow up and realize when you live next to a university, it will be noising from university students. Just as living on Brunswick Street, you expect noise from traffic and from people going to the bars/metro centre.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 2:29 AM
BANNED

My god Halifax.... complaints: even about UNIVERSITY expansion.

NEW RULE: if you live on the peninsula and you are in ANYWAY anti-urban, anti-development, or anti-SOCIAL--then you are not allowed to live on the peninsula.

If you want to live in your bubble, live in it: in Clayton Park.

Or. Try the bottom of the harbour. That should drown out any development sounds, or laughter from happy people.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 2:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
My god Halifax.... complaints: even about UNIVERSITY expansion.
A big part of the problem is that the media (CBC is particularly bad) tend to go for the complainers and favour negative stories.

If you look in a ten block radius of a new development you're always going to find somebody willing to complain, if only because they want attention. It doesn't mean that the complaint is the prevailing opinion.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Case 17156 Details

This was brought up in the General Updates & News Thread.

Public Information September 7th at 7pm in the Rowe Management Building (Dalhousie University Avenue).
Well if you there are no plans for tomorrow night people can go scream at the locals. Maybe there will be a few drunk college students to accurately reflect the local demographics.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 10:32 AM

As far as noise is concerned, the only resident that is quoted in the article seems to have constructive criticism (that coincides with what Dal is planning anyway) rather than squarely opposing the development.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
Fizzix geek

I actually consider this to be a good thing for the neighbourhood.

It is not like these students are not going to exist if this residence doesn't get built. They will just live elsewhere.

The two options, if it is not built, are 1) that they live farther away from Dal, thereby further increasing traffic as 1300 extra students try and drive into the south end or 2) demand for local rental flats goes up thereby increasing the pressure to turn more private homes in the area into student rentals.

Of the available options, building the residence is by far the best solution.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth