HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush_Buds View Post
I really like the building in the middle. The orange hued building. Anyone know what it is called??

Nice finds.
Marina Crown

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 10:51 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Amazing night panorama of the marina.

http://panorama.pentimo.com/panos/du...ort=1&categ=99

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 6:50 PM
don't *meddle*...

great find! but looks kind of deserted to me. where are the people?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 12:55 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

In the buildings.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 4:47 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

^lol^

I found a small cafe with people under it. If it wasn't for Dubai being a touristy place I would totally move there. I would love to see those empty storefronts filled with people and shopping and restaurants.

But I just can't see myself actually living there. Maybe owning a condo and stuff, but only for vacation purposes...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 5:34 AM
Up Up and Away

Wow, what is sustaining this boom? What are the vacancy rates like?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 6:21 PM

I think this thread makes it quite clear why Dubai is going bust... and will soon be the biggest ghost city on earth.

Nowhere, not even Hong Kong or Tokyo could sustain such dense development. Putting a dozen 1000ft residential towers next to each other in a city that actually doesn't need any highrises at all is speculative madness... well, it's all over now...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 9:05 PM
World Machine

It’s really a cool scene for people like us who love development; especially on this scale. But really, there comes a point where you have to question the sanity. The fact that which only seems to populate this area are workers and ghost yachts raises some flags in my mind. Where is everybody? (the answer is most definitely not within the buildings).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 9:42 PM
Up Up and Away

So speculation aside, what is fueling this boom? Are many of these condos vacation homes, investment homes, ect?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:08 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Cheap land, no taxes, cheap labor, cookie-cutter designs, less than decent quality, cheap units, etc...

Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't areas in Dubai that are bustling with people/ I mean, there are over a million people in the entire city, there is no way it will ever become a ghost town. And Dubai is a big city, of course not everyone's going to be home, and if they are they're probably sleep cause it's at night. I'm not saying that this alone makes up for the fact that there are no people outside, but at least several thousand people in that shot are either gone or sleeping.

And currently there aren't even 10 buildings over 1000 ft (in roof height) in Dubai, and only two of those are in the Marina. That isn't saying that there will be more coming soon of course since many are under construction.

That said, I also do think Dubai needs more people but like I said before, I just don't see myself living there and I imagine many people do also. The buildings that were a HUGE mistake in the Marina were the Executive Towers, I think they draw people away, they sure would draw me away!

But anyways, I think Dubai should go into the movie industry, scene's like this would make really cool zombie movies and, as an added bonus, more people would begin to move in!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 2:36 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

The craziness is over thankfully.

There aren't people walking there because there's no reason for them to. The place where you'll see a lot of people walking is the beach facing side of the jumeirah beach residence (those ugly towers) where there are a lot of shops, etc. A strange thing is that sometimes that area is completely packed, other times totally empty.
Just by looking at the amount of lights on I'm actually surprised at how many are occupied (and of course, you never see all lights on in a residential tower), you can't tell from people on the street. Dubai Marina will stay occupied because it's one of the best areas. If people leave then prices will go down and people will move to the marina from worse areas. I'd worry more about Sharjah here.

Also if people do the math they'll find out 10 supertall res towers isn't all that much, for office space yes it would be but not for residential. These are also really skinny and not slabs so say on average we have 8 two-bed apartments per floor and an average of 80 residential floors (remember, average total floors is higher). For 10 towers we then have a maximum population of 12800 people. Not a lot is it?

I can post more pictures of people walking around in the marina if you want.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I can post more pictures of people walking around in the marina if you want.
Go for it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 11:33 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

From the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
29/November/2009

Dubai Marina tallest block

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 7:43 PM
Everywhere all at once

Does anyone know what that wide building that's about one or two storys out of the ground is, bottom-center in Imre's second photo above? The one right next to the highway ramps. Thanks in advance

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 11:30 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ That's a tower called "The Summit", built by the same developers as for 23 Marina but only 40 floors or a little less. Certainly not the summit when compared with the towers nearby.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
The craziness is over thankfully.
Also if people do the math they'll find out 10 supertall res towers isn't all that much, for office space yes it would be but not for residential. These are also really skinny and not slabs so say on average we have 8 two-bed apartments per floor and an average of 80 residential floors (remember, average total floors is higher). For 10 towers we then have a maximum population of 12800 people. Not a lot is it?
Yikes, 12,800 people? Not a lot in terms of the a whole city, but where on Earth do you have over 10,000 people in such a small area? This is much less than 1 square Kilometer of space here.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 11:43 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I could think in many many neighborhoods in cities like Tokyo, Sao Paolo, Shanghai, large cities. Also, these 10 completed/under cons supertalls are scattered across Dubai, miles away from each other. Only 4 of those are in the Marina, which isn't even that much units if you think about it (unless you count all the other residential skyscrapers within this neighborhood which brings the number of units wayy up).

Also, not all of the 10 supertalls are residential, I don't feel like looking at the diagram section but I imagine it's less than 5 (in some cases they're mixed use). Another thing is that not every unit is filled in the Marina (just the supertall blocks), unlike other cities like the ones I listed where every little available inch is used up.

Hmm... I wonder how many total units are built in the marina (including the u/c ones since they'll be finished soonish) and how many are already occupied.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 3:30 AM

I thought he was talking about this singular 1.5-block cluster only, the main area we see photographed on this thread again and again, with 15 residential skyscrapers under construction, not all of them supertals. That's 15 without even having every spot filled; there should be more eventually. When the towers in the cluster are done, they'll all be closer to each other than the tallest one is tall.

I know that Tokyo and Sao Paolo have some really dense areas, but the population density of the two-block area (when completed) has got to be one of the highest on Earth. 10,000 people (a hypothetical number I picked without seeing it built yet) in an area of 0.05 sq. miles is still a density of 200,000/sq. mile.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 11:57 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I could think in many many neighborhoods in cities like Tokyo, Sao Paolo, Shanghai, large cities. Also, these 10 completed/under cons supertalls are scattered across Dubai, miles away from each other. Only 4 of those are in the Marina, which isn't even that much units if you think about it (unless you count all the other residential skyscrapers within this neighborhood which brings the number of units wayy up).

Also, not all of the 10 supertalls are residential, I don't feel like looking at the diagram section but I imagine it's less than 5 (in some cases they're mixed use). Another thing is that not every unit is filled in the Marina (just the supertall blocks), unlike other cities like the ones I listed where every little available inch is used up.

Hmm... I wonder how many total units are built in the marina (including the u/c ones since they'll be finished soonish) and how many are already occupied.
I was talking only about the tallest block. Yes, 10 towers over 300m, count them. You have the torch, princess tower, ocean heights, 23 marina, elite residence, infinity tower, marina 101, pentominium and maybe marina 106 and damac heights as well. All residential as well.
I'd say the capacity of the marina and jumeirah lake towers combined is around 200,000 people maximum. Of course there aren't anywhere near that number of people since the towers aren't fully occupied and are not all complete either.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 7:46 PM

Once all the buildings are finished I imagine the prices will drop like a stone for the apartments facing other buildings. Imagine buying an apartment on the 80th floor with the "promise of ocean view" only to realize once you arrive that the only view you got was that of a concrete wall 30 feets aross your bedroom window

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive