HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:29 PM

Re: The Assiniboine water levels... Maybe my memory is messed up, but pretty sure I'm right, in the mid-late 80s back when the River Rouge was still popular (especially the night party cruises on the weekend), I absolutely remember it docking at Alexander Docks, travelling through the Forks and out west on the Assiniboine. Not sure how far west we made it but I specifically remember the captain/guide announcing that we were passing things like the Shriners Hospital and a bunch of other things along Wellington Crescent. Not 100% if we made it past Rte 90 or up to Assiniboine Park, but 100% we made it quite a distance. That being said, I don't know how significant the changes are since the late 80s re agriculture needs, drainage, etc... but if the River Rouge could navigate the Assiniboine in the not too distant past is private boating really that far gone along that stretch?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:01 PM

^In the 1980s, the River Rouge went up the Assiniboine as far the the Maryland Bridge. I remember the captain (Commodore Dan Ritchie??) saying that the boat drew about 6 feet of water and the river bottom was just a little over 6 feet in that part of the Assiniboine.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Re: The Assiniboine water levels... Maybe my memory is messed up, but pretty sure I'm right, in the mid-late 80s back when the River Rouge was still popular (especially the night party cruises on the weekend), I absolutely remember it docking at Alexander Docks, travelling through the Forks and out west on the Assiniboine. Not sure how far west we made it but I specifically remember the captain/guide announcing that we were passing things like the Shriners Hospital and a bunch of other things along Wellington Crescent. Not 100% if we made it past Rte 90 or up to Assiniboine Park, but 100% we made it quite a distance. That being said, I don't know how significant the changes are since the late 80s re agriculture needs, drainage, etc... but if the River Rouge could navigate the Assiniboine in the not too distant past is private boating really that far gone along that stretch?
There is lots of water until you get to just past Aubrey Street. There is a structure there supporting a water main crossing above the river. There are warning signs on the structure to not proceed further.

You can go a little further. Then crunch.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
They manage to maintain docks in ocean areas where the level changes by 10s of feet a day. I'm sure we could figure it out.
Oceans don't have ice floes. Marinas are in harbours that either don't freeze, or if they do the ice melts in place. Marinas in oceans or any large body have breakwaters too.

Docking infrastructure is difficult here. A harbour may work but it would likely silt up quickly. They also take up a lot of land.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

So make it something removable and floating....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:18 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Anything significant in size has to be anchored to the bottom or to pilings. Pilings would get destroyed by ice and anchors would have to have their chains adjusted continually to cope with changing water levels. There is no easy solution.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:32 PM
Heart of the Continent

instead of chains you could use a retractable cable system. The dock would have cable on a spool that could be let in and out as needed.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
sware i saw docs at the forks harbor today when i drove over queen elibeth way
Didn't they all get torched a few years ago by some lowlife?!?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Anything significant in size has to be anchored to the bottom or to pilings. Pilings would get destroyed by ice and anchors would have to have their chains adjusted continually to cope with changing water levels. There is no easy solution.

Have to agree, this is the only real solution, and an extremely costly one at that. I have no idea on the amount of funding available for this proposed re-make of the area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
instead of chains you could use a retractable cable system. The dock would have cable on a spool that could be let in and out as needed.
It has all been tried. The forces and the corrosion is more than any cable can handle. At the RMYC the chains have to be changed frequently, by commercial divers.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Didn't they all get torched a few years ago by some lowlife?!?
yes but they replaced them

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:26 AM
BANNED

We could rebuild the Alexander docks to the same standard as the government docks in Selkirk, then dock the River Rouge to it and use it as a floating novelty restaurant or hotel during the ice free season, no cruising required. It would still need to be relocated to a safe harbour for the winter though I guess. Lots of places in Europe and the US do this, not sure if they have ice to deal with though. I know it's not a Made in Manitoba solution, but it could be viable.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:18 PM

Some good new for the Alexander Docks, the city is preparing a 99 year lease agreement ($1 per annum) with The Forks to redevelop the land.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 5:49 PM
There is always a way

^ That is fabulous news. I really hope they come up with a plan that would attract larger numbers of people. Making it into a park would be fine I suppose, but making it into a destination would be ideal. It could be the ideally complementary destination to the forks, anchoring the north end of that park and river walk, at the same time creating a public dock that could be a water taxi stop. Wish there was a business case for the paddlewheel boats again, such a great asset to have.

enough land there for a few little seasonal retail stands and some food options too. If they're shooting for the moon then maybe some more permanent stuff. This will be very good for the east exchange and bring it to the next level. Let's take a little pride in our city!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^ That is fabulous news. I really hope they come up with a plan that would attract larger numbers of people. Making it into a park would be fine I suppose, but making it into a destination would be ideal. It could be the ideally complementary destination to the forks, anchoring the north end of that park and river walk, at the same time creating a public dock that could be a water taxi stop. Wish there was a business case for the paddlewheel boats again, such a great asset to have.

enough land there for a few little seasonal retail stands and some food options too. If they're shooting for the moon then maybe some more permanent stuff. This will be very good for the east exchange and bring it to the next level. Let's take a little pride in our city!
Ditto.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Wish there was a business case for the paddlewheel boats again, such a great asset to have.
The Paddlewheel Queen has had it's superstructure removed and is now a self propelled barge..

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:20 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:29 PM

I thought long long ago maybe in the Free Press there were plans to turn the docks into like canals into thr exchange…. Guess that is too late now

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
I thought long long ago maybe in the Free Press there were plans to turn the docks into like canals into thr exchange…. Guess that is too late now
I remember that proposal. I think it was for when they were gathering ideas for what to do with waterfront drive. Would have been neat, but completely impractical.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:44 PM

Some promising news!

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7084879

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan