HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 7:40 PM

China High Speed Rail

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...nt_6985869.htm

Nation sets sights on rail record
By Xin Dingding (China Daily)

China will produce the world's fastest bullet train for the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway, a senior railway official has said.

Zhang Shuguang, deputy chief engineer with the Ministry of Railways, said the domestically developed train will run at 380 kph, the highest speed for any railway in the world.

And if the project materializes, the travel time between the two metropolises will be cut from five to around four hours, enhancing the rail network's competitive edge against airlines, he said.

Previously, China planned to run trains at 350 kph on the 1,318-km Beijing-Shanghai line, the same speed as on the Beijing-Tianjin intercity passenger railway that opened a month ago.

And the travel time is estimated at five hours, about half of the current time. Manufacturing 380-kph trains in China is already possible in terms of technology, he said.

China has established a comprehensive system for bullet train manufacturing, including basic theory, design, manufacture, maintenance and appraisal, he said.

In the past few years, China has imported technology to manufacture 200-250 kph bullet trains from France, Japan and Canada, and German engineering giant Siemens agreed to transfer a full set of technology for manufacturing 350-kph trains.

Using Siemens' technology, Tangshan Railway Vehicles Co Ltd in Hebei province has started production of CRH-3, a jointly designed 350-kph train, and is expected to be able to manufacture 50 such trains by next year.

China has also fostered an experienced team through the previous six speed-up campaigns and the building of the nation's first high-speed railway between Beijing and Tianjin, he said.

"We have mastered core technologies in terms of manufacturing high-speed trains and made innovative achievements in the process," he said.

"It is possible that we can start to manufacture 380-kph trains in two years' time, and put them into service on the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway," he said.

Construction of the railway is progressing smoothly, according to He Huawu, the ministry's chief engineer.

It is likely that the high-speed line can be finished within four years, and become operational in 2012, one year ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:28 AM

China a country considered 50 years behinde USA only 20 years ago now is fast moving to propel itself 50 years ahead of USA. I wonder what means of transport they are considering in the White House for the energy starved future, horse drawn carriges perhaps.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:49 AM
loafing in lotusland

I wonder, however, why they wouldn't stick to Mag-Lev. Sure the capital cost is higher, but the maintenance and ongoing costs are much lower and the benefits, I feel, outweigh the higher costs for a country like China.

Once you get High Speed Rail to 380km/h it starts burning through money (in maintenance costs) like you wouldn't believe.

I'm not yet confident enough in China's leadership to trust that these trains will be consistently maintained. This speed at any cost has potential disaster written all over it.

It will interesting though if this turns into a reality. I know Japan is struggling with trains faster than 360km/h and the main reasons that they will have trains that travel that fast but operationally travel at 320km/h are due to noise (tunnel boom... which China will have less of a problem with) and overhead wire wear (which increases costs).

Of course, on the other hand, Japan has no problem starting a mega expensive Chuo Mag-lev line.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:03 AM

Maglev is simply to expensive, rail has the advantage that it can use existing infrastructure. To build a Maglev network today is simply out of question, after 30 years as a comercial alternative the only line in operation is the one in Shanghai that has yet to be profitable and probably never will.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:42 AM
low life in a tall place

Good idea for a thread. I'll try to help you keeping it updated.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
low life in a tall place

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 12:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

China thinks about where it would like to be 20-50 years down the road. The West thinks about how they will be able to afford to maintain the status quo.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:14 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I think people are being simplistic here. China has a much larger cheep labor pool and doesn't have to deal with things like formidable pesky "unions". Also, HSR is a much more dire need in China then in the U.S. or even Europe. China simply will never be able to have the domestic airline infrastructure to fly its whole population at the rates that the U.S. or Europe does at rates that affordable to most Chinese.

Lets not be simpletons and disingenuously act as if the challenges and issues facing one country equates with those from another just because it fints our advcoacy.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:10 PM

This will definately be a boon for commuters and tourists alike.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:45 PM
low life in a tall place

Keep it on topic people. Let's discuss China's high speed rail infrastructure developments here-- not Western countries' lack of it...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:03 PM
low life in a tall place

Are you always trolling? What part of "keep it on topic" don't you understand?

Enough now.

-----------------

Two posts from the "China MEGA Projects thread" regarding the Beijing-Shanghai HSL;

Beijing Railway Station South

Total Investment: 6.3 Billion Yuan
Project Duration: 2006 -2008

Construction Area: 226,000 m2
5 levels, 2 above, 3 below ground
13 platforms and 24 tracks
lounge can accomodate 10,500 passengers
Metro lines 4 and 14 serve the station

Thanks to 02tonyl @ SSC for pics and info.

--------

Beijing-Shanghai Highspeed Railway

Total Investment: 220 Billion Yuan
Project Duration: 2008 - 2010 (2013?)

Thanks to 02tonyl @ SSC for pics and info.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:05 PM
low life in a tall place

The China Railway Developments thread at SSC has a lot of news regarding the HSR projects in China.

EDIT:

Beijing South Station platform,

Terminal hall,

Thanks to zergcerebrates @ SSC.

Last edited by staff; Sep 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:45 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Is there any of these maps in English Staff?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:50 PM
low life in a tall place

Haven't seen one as of yet-- I'll certainly post some if/when I find them.
Let me know if anyone needs help with translations and I'll do my best (or even better, ask Urban_Zombie who is fluent in the language).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:23 AM
low life in a tall place

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_10075362.htm

Quote:
Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway construction gets under way

2008-09-18

BEIJING, Sept. 18 (Xinhua) -- China has started construction on1,059 km, or 80 percent, of the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway in the five months since the project kicked off.

Construction on the rest of the project was awaiting preliminary work, such as land confiscation.

Nearly 100,000 workers and engineers are involved in the 31.6-billion-U.S.-dollar project, and they will use 21,000 pieces of machinery, according to the leading group of the project.

The key part of the project, a bridge spanning the Yangtze River in Nanjing, has seen 10 of its piers installed, with one left.

The 1,318-km railway line, with a designed speed of 350 km per hour, is expected to welcome passengers in five years.

Upon completion, the line would cut the travel time between the capital of Beijing and the financial hub of Shanghai in half, to five hours.

It would also lift the one-way transport capacity to 80 million passengers and more than 100 million tonnes of cargo annually, so as to ease the burden on the existing line.

The line would traverse Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, Shandong, Anhui and Jiangsu before reaching Shanghai.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:43 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
The China Railway Developments thread at SSC has a lot of news regarding the HSR projects in China.

EDIT:

Beijing South Station platform,

Terminal hall,

Thanks to zergcerebrates @ SSC.
And I thought Shanghai South Station was cool. Wowsers.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 7:10 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gava View Post
Maglev is simply to expensive, rail has the advantage that it can use existing infrastructure. To build a Maglev network today is simply out of question, after 30 years as a comercial alternative the only line in operation is the one in Shanghai that has yet to be profitable and probably never will.
More expensive, but if you're thinking forward, ultimately, if they're planning on running at 380km/h MUCH more efficient. HSR is not cheap to maintain.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 4:49 PM
low life in a tall place

Okay, let's not another China thread result in trolling and off topic posts. Just knock it off.

Can a mod please delete the off topic stuff?

-

Wuhai Railway Station
-the Largest Inland Rail HUb

Total Investment: 14 Billion Yuan
Project Duration: 2006 - 2008

Thanks to 02tonyl (SSC) for the info and pics.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 1:18 AM
low life in a tall place

You could provide some inside info/pics from the expo if you want.

Beijing-Tianjin Intercity Highspeed Rail

350 km/h

Cost: 21.5 Billion Yuan
Duration: 2005 - 2008

Thanks again to 02tonyl.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 8:31 AM

Last spring I took the bus from Shenzhen through Shantou to Xiamen, Fuzhou, Wenzhou and then Ningbo. Most of the way along the coast I could see massive construction for the coastal high speed rail line. That one is definitely quite far along. I'll post some pics when I can.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation