HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:55 PM

I was at the Forks on Saturday night for the Ice Castle thing (which is cool but just more ice).

Yes it was a Saturday night. But loads of people everywhere. The Common was jammed that there were no seats and large groups of people were standing and drinking. That's happens regularly when I go to the Forks. No sitting room in the Common. Forks needs to get the other two halls into a similar vibe as the common. Which I think they're trying to but not there yet.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:59 PM

the young adults now think the Forks is cool, need to get residential going ASAP to get their deposit $

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I think Granville Island is incredibly overrated, but I'll admit I was a little underwhelmed by the Forks when I first saw it, mainly because I didn't actually go inside the market, because I didn't realize that was the point. I assumed the Forks was the big park which was nice and all, but pretty empty.

Totally changed my mind since the winter hit though. The market inside is probably the busiest place in Winnipeg, though I wish it was more affordable. The skating trails are something to truly be proud of. Should be included in any promotional material ever. I light up like a kid every time I go out there.
What is not "affordable" about the Market? It's free. Retailers set their prices just like a mall or anywhere else you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
As car access becomes more difficult at the Forks I think you are going to see properties near the site developed as residential buildings. The secret is getting out that living within walking distance of the Forks has become a huge year-round benefit when living in Winnipeg. I am very optimistic about south main st. For example.
Exactly. There are lots of people who would be willing to give up their cars if they really felt they didn't need one. As residential grows here and a food market (re)opens, I think it'll be a pretty easy case for people to ditch their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the young adults now think the Forks is cool, need to get residential going ASAP to get their deposit $
Yup – this is exactly what they set out to do. Less tourist and more local. If young people think it's cool, lots more will go – and tourists want to be where the locals go.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:23 PM

Passero at the Forks given five stars.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...470913283.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:44 PM

More new about the Food Hall in the FP.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...474377493.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:56 PM

^ It's amazing how FNP has breathed new life into The Forks. It was always a popular spot, but they are absolutely packing them in these days.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:11 AM

I wish fNP would acquire the Johnston terminal from the Martens boys. It seems like an underused jewel, and the market building is bursting at the seams. I was there today on the trail and having some tourtière. The looks of pure joy on the faces of hundreds of people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds was a sight to behold.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 2:29 AM
surely you agree with me

^ Paul Jordan deserves so much credit for taking serious risks and succeeding. He has totally transformed the Forks since taking over, but his decisions were risky. Still are, with Railside. His impact on this city is under appreciated

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:19 AM

Quote:
I wish fNP would acquire the Johnston terminal from the Martens boys. It seems like an underused jewel, and the market building is bursting at the seams. I was there today on the trail and having some tourtière. The looks of pure joy on the faces of hundreds of people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds was a sight to behold.
Yeah, and they were smart to do a phased approach to the Market reno's. They've already changed course for the next phases as it's so busy in there now, they want to make sure they don't cram too much in. That's part of the reason Generation Green moved to The Exchange – they were going to be taking over a huge portion of the second floor, but TFNP realized it wasn't a great use of space, and they need more open public space up there. The second floor is going to be completely different than we know it now.

I heard the revenues that The Common did in January (a record) and they are jaw-dropping, even if you don't consider the fact it is JUST beer and wine at a kiosk. The way things are going, TFNP may be able to sell off some of their North Portage assets (*cough* Portage Place *cough*) sooner than anticipated. Seismic changes to The Forks and Portage Ave may not be too far off...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:49 AM
surely you agree with me

Very cool to have a little McNally at the forks now.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, and they were smart to do a phased approach to the Market reno's. They've already changed course for the next phases as it's so busy in there now, they want to make sure they don't cram too much in. That's part of the reason Generation Green moved to The Exchange – they were going to be taking over a huge portion of the second floor, but TFNP realized it wasn't a great use of space, and they need more open public space up there. The second floor is going to be completely different than we know it now.
That's good news. The Forks Market needs to be upgraded to handle the crowds they're getting now... I was there yesterday and parts of it felt like the MTS Centre during an intermission, it was that crowded. I realize every day is not like a long weekend, but I think they need a little more space to allow for crowd flow, etc. That might mean moving some stuff upstairs which is currently occupied by a lot of gift shops which are really just afterthoughts. A more prominent entrance to the upper levels would be a good start, as would be more washrooms... having just that one washroom and a couple of tiny ones is not enough when you have well over a thousand people in there.

Integrating the Johnston Terminal a little better into the rest of the complex as Tacheguy suggested would be nice too... it feels like it has barely changed since it opened in the early 90s, compared to the rest of the site which has evolved so much.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:21 AM

Since moving out of the city in the last 5 years, and visiting a couple of times, I have to honestly say that the biggest and most culturally significant improvement that Winnipeg has achieved, was the Forks. Considering how small this change is, it still packs a pretty good punch.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
I heard the revenues that The Common did in January (a record) and they are jaw-dropping, even if you don't consider the fact it is JUST beer and wine at a kiosk. The way things are going, TFNP may be able to sell off some of their North Portage assets (*cough* Portage Place *cough*) sooner than anticipated. Seismic changes to The Forks and Portage Ave may not be too far off...
This isn't the first cryptic thing I've heard about the bolded establishment lately

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:26 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
This isn't the first cryptic thing I've heard about the bolded establishment lately
No I've heard plenty of cryptic talk from buzzg lately that seemed to be hinting at major changes coming to downtown. Let's hope it's right!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ Paul Jordan deserves so much credit for taking serious risks and succeeding. He has totally transformed the Forks since taking over, but his decisions were risky. Still are, with Railside. His impact on this city is under appreciated
Obviously he's had success but the risk involved would never have impacted him financially as he is an employee and not an entrepreneur.

Glad to see the Fork's Market area revitalized as I think it had gotten a bit stagnant for years, bringing in a younger crowd though can't be overlooked!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
The Martens boys don't own it, it's been owned by Artis for a while.

That said, Artis can take a good look at the Marketplace and invest similarly, or yes, let the Forks have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Obviously he's had success but the risk involved would never have impacted him financially as he is an employee and not an entrepreneur.

Glad to see the Fork's Market area revitalized as I think it had gotten a bit stagnant for years, bringing in a younger crowd though can't be overlooked!
While not bearing an owner's risk, you risk your job security and reputation. Mess up a job like the forks and you'll be out of work with few willing to hire you.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
The Martens boys don't own it, it's been owned by Artis for a while.

That said, Artis can take a good look at the Marketplace and invest similarly, or yes, let the Forks have it.
From what I've heard, The Forks has no interest in owning the Johnston Terminal. They own the land it's on and make some money there. There's always vacancies in the retail areas, and they don't want to deal with 2 floors of office tenants. Don't forget nothing has even take the Finns spot, which you would think would be a prime location. Big issue is the lack of ventilation for a proper kitchen is a huge cost hurdle.

This could change in 5 years when there's more buildings (and residents) at The Forks, and demand is higher, but right now it just doesn't make sense to take that on. And at that point, Artis would likely want to keep it, and invest in modernizing it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
From what I've heard, The Forks has no interest in owning the Johnston Terminal. They own the land it's on and make some money there. There's always vacancies in the retail areas, and they don't want to deal with 2 floors of office tenants. Don't forget nothing has even take the Finns spot, which you would think would be a prime location. Big issue is the lack of ventilation for a proper kitchen is a huge cost hurdle.

This could change in 5 years when there's more buildings (and residents) at The Forks, and demand is higher, but right now it just doesn't make sense to take that on. And at that point, Artis would likely want to keep it, and invest in modernizing it.
Turn Finn's into residential, that would be a beauty penthouse

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Turn Finn's into residential, that would be a beauty penthouse
Finns is on the second floor. Spaghetti Factory is below and there's two floors of offices above, including Citizenship and Immigration for some bizarre reason. They actually hold people who are about to be deported on the 4th floor sometimes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:43 AM

^ Spaghetti Factory draws constant large crowds. I don't go there often but whenever I do, it's packed. It's hard to believe that the space on the 2nd floor couldn't pack people in too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan