HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I wonder if folks once said that around the time LA began creeping up on Chicago.
LA still isn't a grander city than Chicago. It's bigger, but not grander.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I wonder if folks once said that around the time LA began creeping up on Chicago.
I did.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:52 AM

As far as economic development, I would definitely say that the Texas metros (esp. Dallas) have definitely stolen some of the thunder from Atlanta/Miami and taken the lead.

However, on the debate of universities....I'll post the US news rankings for each city. Please tell me if I miss any as I'm not terribly familiar with these areas.

DFW-
64. SMU
97. TCU
147. UT Dallas
281. Dallas Baptist
281. University of North Texas/Denton

Houston-
17. Rice
185. Univ. of Houston
281.Sam Houston State

Miami-
57. Univ. of Miami
218. Florida International
248. Nova Southeastern
272.Keiser Univ.

Atlanta-
21. Emory
29. Georgia Tech (The engineering program is top notch and in the same league as UC Berkley and CMU)
50. University of Gerogia
211. Georgia State

Contentious Colleges
70. TX A&M (Houston)
79. Baylor (DFW)
153. Mercer (Atlanta)

Out of all of these, I would definitely say that Atlanta is by far the clear winner of the pack with three universities in the top 50.

Second could go to either Dallas our Houston depending on what you value. It depends if you want an elite school (Rice) and some good schools in Houston, or good schools across the board but no elite university in Dallas.

Miami is by far the last place finisher.

Last edited by Ric 0_0; Dec 12, 2019 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
As far as economic development, I would definitely say that the Texas metros (esp. Dallas) have definitely stolen some of the thunder from Atlanta/Miami and taken the lead.

However, on the debate of universities....I'll post the US news rankings for each city. Please tell me if I miss any as I'm not terribly familiar with these areas.

DFW-
64. SMU
97. TCU
147. UT Dallas
281. Dallas Baptist

Houston-
17. Rice
70. TX A&M (I'm giving Houston this one since its 1 1/2 away from city prop)
185. Univ. of Houston

Miami-
57. Univ. of Miami
218. Florida International
248. Nova Southeastern
272.Keiser Univ.

Atlanta-
21. Emory
29. Georgia Tech (The engineering program is top notch and in the same league as UC Berkley and CMU)
50. University of Gerogia
153. Mercer (I'm a little iffy on this one, but I know a lot of people who would consider this within the "grasp" of ATL).
211. Georgia State

Out of all of these, I would definitely say that Atlanta is by far the clear winner of the pack with three universities in the top 50.

Second could go to either Dallas our Houston depending on what you value. It depends if you want an elite school (Rice) and some good schools in Houston, or good schools across the board but no elite university in Dallas.

Miami is by far the last place finisher.
You left out several DFW area schools. Most of them are unexceptional, but two of them, UT Arlington and University of North Texas/Denton, are quite large with over 25,000 students each.

University of Texas/Arlington ranked #293
University of North Texas/Denton ranked #281
University of Dallas (Catholic) ranked #7 Regional University West and #15 for Best Undergraduate Teaching. It is a fine little school.

I don't think Houston can lay claim to Texas A&M. College Station is in no way part of the Houston metro. It is almost as close to Austin as it is to Houston. Still Houston probably is the academic winner in Texas outside of Austin. Rice is first rate. University of Houston has some strong liberal arts programs and good professional schools. The presence of three medical schools in Houston is also impressive.

SMU and TCU are wealthy and decent enough schools, but neither of them have a strong brand outside of the region. UT/Dallas is getting a reputation as a school making a real name for itself, especially in business, computer sciences, and engineering. It might be a comer, but it's not quite there yet.

Last edited by austlar1; Dec 12, 2019 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:24 AM

^

Correct, you'd have to add Baylor to Dallas, which it isn't. But College Station is its own thing, like Athens is to Atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
You left out several DFW area schools. Most of them are unexceptional, but two of them, UT Arlington and University of North Texas/Denton, are quite large with over 25,000 students each.

University of Texas/Arlington ranked #293
University of North Texas/Denton ranked #281
University of Dallas (Catholic) ranked #7 Regional University West and #15 for Best Undergraduate Teaching. It is a fine little school.

I don't think Houston can lay claim to Texas A&M. College Station is in no way part of the Houston metro. Still Houston probably is the academic winner in Texas outside of Austin. Rice is first rate. University of Houston has some strong liberal arts programs and good professional schools. The presence of three medical schools in Houston is also impressive. SMU and TCU are wealthy and decent schools, but neither of them have a strong brand outside of the region.
I try to leave out universities once they go into the range of high 200s, but Atlanta has a few more universities that would fall into the categories of universities you listed (albeit lower down)...

293-381 (no specific ranking for these universities)-Clark Atlanta, Kennesaw State, Univ. of W GA. There's also Morehouse and Spellman.

I also find it crazy impressive how Houston supports 3 med schools. Just by looking at aerials of TMC it looks like its own proper business district. Atlanta has Emory and Morehouse (very small), but the sheer scale and caliber of medschools in Houston is blows Atlanta out of the water.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
^

Correct, you'd have to add Baylor to Dallas, which it isn't. But College Station is its own thing, like Athens is to Atlanta.
I would consider Athens to be a part of ATL which is why I grouped in UGA. It economically and politically connected to Atlanta... and it is the main public school besides GT that gets most of the academic talent from GA.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:47 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I try to leave out universities once they go into the range of high 200s, but Atlanta has a few more universities that would fall into the categories of universities you listed (albeit lower down)...

293-381 (no specific ranking for these universities)-Clark Atlanta, Kennesaw State, Univ. of W GA. There's also Morehouse and Spellman.

I also find it crazy impressive how Houston supports 3 med schools. Just by looking at aerials of TMC it looks like its own proper business district. Atlanta has Emory and Morehouse (very small), but the sheer scale and caliber of medschools in Houston is blows Atlanta out of the water.
Houston is about to add its 4th medical school; University of Houston. In addition to Baylor College of Medicine, UTHealth (who poached their dean from Emory) and UTMB which is in Galveston.

Houston also has a few more universities that are probably not ranked; UH Downtown, UH Clear Lake, UH Victoria, U of St. Thomas and Houston Baptist.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

I found total medical school graduates by state: https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D

Here are the top 10 states (considering both MD and DO I guess since who am I to judge)

Code:
State     # of med         % of US          % of US
              grads            med grads       population
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 NY        2402                9.25              5.91
 PA        1910                7.36              3.87
 TX        1735                6.68              8.68
 CA        1447                5.58              11.96
 FL        1316                5.07              6.44
 IL        1315                5.07              3.85
 MI        1143                4.40              3.02
 OH        1122                4.32              3.53
 MO        922                 3.55              1.85
 VA        858                 3.30              2.58
Texas has a lot of med students, but is still at a deficit as share of population (though not nearly as big of a deficit as California!). It seems like there is enough demand for additional med schools in Texas. I imagine CA is largely dependent on Filipino and Indian doctors.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions