HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=Geckos_Rule;8798326]70 Rainey, the W, Austonian, etc.,/QUOTE]

I've toured all those + 4Seasons, and they set the benchmark for me. I'd like to see West.

I like to imagine which building I'll retire in 20 years from now. Might just try to scoop an old unit and remodel it when the kids hit high school. I always liked the Shore for this, depending on how damaged the view is by the Travis....value play.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:00 AM

[QUOTE=urbancore;8798399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
70 Rainey, the W, Austonian, etc.,/QUOTE] I always liked the Shore for this, depending on how damaged the view is by the Travis....value play.
Come buy mine!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:15 PM

[QUOTE=Geckos_Rule;8798712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Come buy mine!
what cha got? I really like unit 2002....the 1600 sqft 2-2 w/study and that amazing balcony. Would want to gut the entire unit though. Very curious what the Trav will do to that view.

Also, any idea when the work is set to wrap up? So far, I'm not a fan of the light grey paint. Is the pool deck open again? Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:09 PM

[QUOTE=urbancore;8799096]
Quote:

what cha got? I really like unit 2002....the 1600 sqft 2-2 w/study and that amazing balcony. Would want to gut the entire unit though. Very curious what the Trav will do to that view.

Also, any idea when the work is set to wrap up? So far, I'm not a fan of the light grey paint. Is the pool deck open again? Thanks.
Mine is a smaller interior 2-2 (somelike like 1200'?), but the balcony is a bit larger than 800 sq ft. -- the biggest in the building. Which is really the main reason I bought the thing. Although, now the HOA is really trying to push back on people putting decking or astroturf outside, and limiting the furniture we can use, etc. -- after I already bought and paid for all of it, and had to uninstall everything and pay for a storage unit for the past year....

As far as the work, I was told explicitly (in writing) that the work on my unit would be done at the end of June, 2019. It finished about 3 weeks ago, and they did a C+ job. I think for the last month or so, they've been really rushing everything to get it done and get out of here. Probably another month or so of work tops. And yes, the pool deck is open.

As far as the grey paint is concerned, I'm not a fan of it either. The building had a big vote, to decide between the light grey and blue we see, or a much darker grey, and an agave green. I voted for that, which had about 10 of the 190-ish total votes....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:52 PM

[QUOTE=Geckos_Rule;8800158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Mine is a smaller interior 2-2 (somelike like 1200'?), but the balcony is a bit larger than 800 sq ft. -- the biggest in the building. Which is really the main reason I bought the thing. Although, now the HOA is really trying to push back on people putting decking or astroturf outside, and limiting the furniture we can use, etc. -- after I already bought and paid for all of it, and had to uninstall everything and pay for a storage unit for the past year....

As far as the work, I was told explicitly (in writing) that the work on my unit would be done at the end of June, 2019. It finished about 3 weeks ago, and they did a C+ job. I think for the last month or so, they've been really rushing everything to get it done and get out of here. Probably another month or so of work tops. And yes, the pool deck is open.

As far as the grey paint is concerned, I'm not a fan of it either. The building had a big vote, to decide between the light grey and blue we see, or a much darker grey, and an agave green. I voted for that, which had about 10 of the 190-ish total votes....
Is the light grey just being used in public spaces? Can you decide what color you want in your unit? If so, blue or green are considered the most calming. color. I get HOAs but I still don't like when they are over protective and snooty. I don't see how decking or astroturf would even be seen from anywhere to distract from the design of the building. And quality outside furniture seems ok to me. Just wouldn't want to see people hanging their laundry out on the balcony or putting up gaudy lighting.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:38 PM

[QUOTE=the Genral;8800444]
Quote:

Is the light grey just being used in public spaces? Can you decide what color you want in your unit? If so, blue or green are considered the most calming. color. I get HOAs but I still don't like when they are over protective and snooty. I don't see how decking or astroturf would even be seen from anywhere to distract from the design of the building. And quality outside furniture seems ok to me. Just wouldn't want to see people hanging their laundry out on the balcony or putting up gaudy lighting.
Of course I can decide what color I paint my interior walls, but everything else with the exterior of the building is light grey, with the blue accent color (although certainly not much of it).

In terms of the balconies, I agree. I didn't see any problem with it, and my balcony's outer wall is stucco, not railing, so you can't see anything regardless. The original issue they had was with drainage of water through the deck (which defies common sense), but after the company who made the balcony's coating give me their approval, the HOA pivoted to saying they didn't want anyone to do it because they didn't want people's pets to be out on balconies....

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 9:57 PM

First good pictures of a crown lighting test have surfaced this week. These are from the Instagram account of company called Light Support. Enjoy...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:01 PM

That's nicer than I was expecting. Makes it look a little intentional instead of a chain link fence.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
That's nicer than I was expecting. Makes it look a little intentional instead of a chain link fence.
I agree. The white looks very nice.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:06 PM
Meh

Well now. I like that. That 2nd one also complements the cantilever level. If it ends up looking like that, it could be our most noticeable building at night even rivaling the Frost Bank Tower, which is still king at night.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:09 PM

Ooh, on the first picture the library's lighting is lit up in the same red as the Independent's. Coincidental, but imagine if all the Seaholm/Greenwater towers' lighting was color-synchronized.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:44 PM

Not too shabby actually. Better than I expected. In this case I prefer the white light. I really don't know what to make of the red except maybe they can use the red lights when there are cricket swarms and still light the crown. I don't think flying insects are attracted to red.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 11:45 PM

I like the white. Might like colors, but think I prefer soft colors. Wonder what kind of light show they might be able to create? The real problem with this crown remains the fact that it looks butt ugly during the day, especially in the late afternoon when the sunlight is angled on the building. Don't know how they fix that. Don't think the developers are willing to spend money to fix that issue, and once the condo board takes control, they are never going to be willing to spend the money needed to make a change. We'll be lucky if they keep allocating funds to maintain the new lighting.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Did y'all notice what looks like the skyline silhouette on the red one?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:31 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Did y'all notice what looks like the skyline silhouette on the red one?
I was wondering about that. A like it too, personally the red but I'm just over white. So common and we have plenty of white. Don't get me wrong, the white looks nice but I like color, all the colors of the rainbow!!!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:22 AM
クラブトクヨ

Yes so there’s more to this, if ion art was involved this will not just be lighting. 2 companies were involved and there’s no way it’s just lights, I think ion art made some type of metal silhouette or design or something along with the lights.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:50 PM

Yesss! I looks good! It actually looks like glass and not a fence! Skyline thing is questionable tho.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:11 PM

The night lighting is very pleasing. The crown is a standout when lit. Congratulations to making the night appearance of this tower an eye catcher.

Now Please install a simple solid white band between the goal posts, that are the four corner poles that rise above the fencing and the Crown will look great during the day as well. It cannot cost that much to "finish" the crown...really, a simple solid white band across the very top!

I love this tower other than; "Finish the Crown" "Finish the Crown"

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I like the white. Might like colors, but think I prefer soft colors. Wonder what kind of light show they might be able to create? The real problem with this crown remains the fact that it looks butt ugly during the day, especially in the late afternoon when the sunlight is angled on the building. Don't know how they fix that. Don't think the developers are willing to spend money to fix that issue, and once the condo board takes control, they are never going to be willing to spend the money needed to make a change. We'll be lucky if they keep allocating funds to maintain the new lighting.
Maybe there's a better chance of finding a way to turn off the sun.

Also, it's great that there is lighting on this finally. Now all that's left is to fix the blue light ring at the top of the Austonian.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:24 PM

The white looks pretty good. But considering the long exposure on those photos, it looks like the lighting may appear rather dim in person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin