HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlotron View Post
I sure hope they stick with the MAG proposal. I was in the Escape Lounge in Manchester UK a couple weeks ago. It was above average for an airport lounge, and certainly nicer than the AA and UA lounges currently serving ABIA.

The article mentions access to Escape lounges for AMEX platinum cardholders, but typically you can also get in with a Priority Pass subscription or with access through Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa card. I did the latter in England. I don't know anyone who pays 40-50 bucks per entry as stated in the article.

This will be very good for the airport, IMHO.
I think PP is only good for Escape Lounges in the UK, but not the US, just by looking through the PP app.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:47 PM
ATX USA

Hmmm. My list of reasons to switch from United/Chase to Delta/AMEX just keeps growing.

Sorry if this seems off-topic to anyone. We can go back to speculating about flights to Soul now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. My list of reasons to switch from United/Chase to Delta/AMEX just keeps growing.

Sorry if this seems off-topic to anyone. We can go back to speculating about flights to Soul now.
The perks on the Chase card are what get me vs the AMEX. Other than better lounge access, I don't see AMEX being that good.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Tokyo...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:21 PM
ATX USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Tokyo...

At least you can spell Tokyo. Looking back, I seem to have written something about Suol....Soul...Seuol...that city in South Korea.

Taipei would be most useful to me personally, but I realize the chances of that are basically zero. Tokyo would be fine w/ me.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:42 PM

On Tuesday, I attended Visit Austin's annual report to the Austin Hotel And Lodging Association -- which is essentially all of its local stakeholders. One of the segments was about flight development, in which Visit Austin takes a very active part (as it turns out). After the talk, one of the audience members asked about future APAC flights, and Tom Noonan noted that that's one of their highest priorities. There's nothing formal to report, but he thought we might have an announcement very late this year or early next.

A little surprising to me, honestly . . . I would've thought we would be farther along than that -- given the obvious interest, and Austin's constant increase in importance to the tech world.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:49 PM

Shutting down half the runways for renovation can't help get the ball rolling.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:56 PM

Seoul

Quote:
At least you can spell Tokyo. Looking back, I seem to have written something about Suol....Soul...Seuol...that city in South Korea.
Kimchi is Asian Seoul food....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:59 AM
Member since 2001

Just a quick observation...

I was checking into my flight the other day and noticed a banner in the Delta Priority Check-in line advertising their new Sky Club. What was weird is that they identified the club's location as between Gates T3A and T4. Is this foreshadowing? Are they identifying the BJT as the "T" (for Terminal) concourse gates with the forthcoming satellite gates being identified with an "S" (for satellite) or "A" (similar to ATL's concourse names - and the easy ability to add more concourses without the cost in changing the existing gate designations)?

Interesting...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Just a quick observation...

I was checking into my flight the other day and noticed a banner in the Delta Priority Check-in line advertising their new Sky Club. What was weird is that they identified the club's location as between Gates T3A and T4. Is this foreshadowing? Are they identifying the BJT as the "T" (for Terminal) concourse gates with the forthcoming satellite gates being identified with an "S" (for satellite) or "A" (similar to ATL's concourse names - and the easy ability to add more concourses without the cost in changing the existing gate designations)?

Interesting...
I wouldn't read anything into that. Delta started advertising the club before the expansion opened. Since they were operating from the temporary stinger, they were using gates T3, T3A, and T4. I'm guessing the folks who designed the messaging didn't understand fully where Delta would be in the new building.

As far as gate numbering with a second concourse, conversations are nowhere near that level of specificity yet. There was a broad conversation about future numbering when the original gates were renumbered for the expansion, but the masterplan was just kicking off.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Many don't realize SAN has 20,000 more ops a year than AUS. That's 55 additional takeoffs and landings a day on a single runway.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llintner View Post
many don't realize san has 20,000 more ops a year than aus. That's 55 additional takeoffs and landings a day on a single runway.
c

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Many don't realize SAN has 20,000 more ops a year than AUS. That's 55 additional takeoffs and landings a day on a single runway.
Source?? Gov and Wikipedia says Austin 210K and San Antonio 160K. I’m sure some of the tower operators that work both both can comment further. I know the SA guys are always shocked by the air traffic over Austin. Both in terms of operations and the major East - West US flight route that is above Aus

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxboom View Post
source?? Gov and wikipedia says austin 210k and san antonio 160k. I’m sure some of the tower operators that work both both can comment further. I know the sa guys are always shocked by the air traffic over austin. Both in terms of operations and the major east - west us flight route that is above aus
s

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:04 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
I wouldn't read anything into that. Delta started advertising the club before the expansion opened. Since they were operating from the temporary stinger, they were using gates T3, T3A, and T4. I'm guessing the folks who designed the messaging didn't understand fully where Delta would be in the new building.

As far as gate numbering with a second concourse, conversations are nowhere near that level of specificity yet. There was a broad conversation about future numbering when the original gates were renumbered for the expansion, but the masterplan was just kicking off.
No duh, amigo. I think we all know Delta was advertising the new Sky Club well before it's opening. Furthermore, it's obvious that you have never seen the new extension. As of the extension's opening, one of the stairways leading to the new club is right in front of the waiting area for Gate 3 (or "T3A" as that gate has two jetways). And the other is directly in front of Gate 4 (it too has two jetways).

Additionally, the "T" has never stood for "temporary." Think about it. If Delta were to make a big play at AUS, then it would make since for them to designate the current terminal's gates as either the "A" concourse or "T" concourse (similar to Delta's home hub of ATL. And then designate the first satellite as either the "B" concourse or "A" concourse.

Oh...and if the the masterplan has been sent to the FAA - it would be ignorant to think some sort of concourse designation (names) has not already been discussed.

Again, should Delta develop AUS, it would make complete sense to copy the ATL designations. Even if they don't, AUS will be forced to anyway!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
As our good friend Austin1971 has already stated..."SAN" is the IATA designation for San Diego International Airport. Just so you know, their PAX is about 53% more than that of AUS.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsat View Post
no duh, amigo. I think we all know delta was advertising the new sky club well before it's opening. Furthermore, it's obvious that you have never seen the new extension. As of the extension's opening, one of the stairways leading to the new club is right in front of the waiting area for gate 3 (or "t3a" as that gate has two jetways). And the other is directly in front of gate 4 (it too has two jetways).

Additionally, the "t" has never stood for "temporary." think about it. If delta were to make a big play at aus, then it would make since for them to designate the current terminal's gates as either the "a" concourse or "t" concourse (similar to delta's home hub of atl. And then designate the first satellite as either the "b" concourse or "a" concourse.

Oh...and if the the masterplan has been sent to the faa - it would be ignorant to think some sort of concourse designation (names) has not already been discussed.

Again, should delta develop aus, it would make complete sense to copy the atl designations. Even if they don't, aus will be forced to anyway!
f

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:20 AM

Apologies, Mr. Lintner.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Can the international gates handle 4 widebodies at the same time? Thanks
Would like to know this too, in a few months we might have 4 at the same time, or 3, I don’t remember scheduling off the top of my head.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
would like to know this too, in a few months we might have 4 at the same time, or 3, i don’t remember scheduling off the top of my head.
w

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin