HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Hong Kong

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 3:57 PM

Hong Kong Infrastructure

I visited HK a couple years ago and I was in awe of all the magnificently built roads, bridges, trains, and airport. I left the city without ever finding out what sources of funds were used to build those projects.

In LA, we have so much trouble building just a segment of a subway because of how high costs are and the few places we can get money from. So how does Hong Kong do it, especially with its very low taxing policies?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 9:03 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infestma View Post
I visited HK a couple years ago and I was in awe of all the magnificently built roads, bridges, trains, and airport. I left the city without ever finding out what sources of funds were used to build those projects.

In LA, we have so much trouble building just a segment of a subway because of how high costs are and the few places we can get money from. So how does Hong Kong do it, especially with its very low taxing policies?
Infrastructure projects that involve bridges, tunnels, roads, and highways are funded by the government, which holds a significant budget surplus and can easily afford spending USD billions to maintain and expand the road network.

Rail lines are built primarily with the help of private developers who build housing on top of stations, resulting in royalties that subsidize rail construction.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infestma View Post

Infrastructure projects that involve bridges, tunnels, roads, and highways are funded by the government, which holds a significant budget surplus and can easily afford spending USD billions to maintain and expand the road network.

Rail lines are built primarily with the help of private developers who build housing on top of stations, resulting in royalties that subsidize rail construction.
May I add:
Though the taxes are low (in %), the total tax revenues (as Billions of USD) are very high in Hong Kong.

I am pretty sure (though my web research was not too successful re. "total tax revenues in LA") that the total amount of tax revenues in HK is much higher than that of LA.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:51 PM

Hong Kong works.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Hong Kong