HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 6:07 PM

This thread is has the best information on this development on the web. To bad they couldn't hire someone to actually blog regularly about updates. So is seems like phase 3 is officially happening now with the deconstruction of the medical building? I hope that proposed rooftop pool happens. Will the addition of phase 3 slow down the building process for phase 2?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalaby View Post
This thread is has the best information on this development on the web. To bad they couldn't hire someone to actually blog regularly about updates. So is seems like phase 3 is officially happening now with the deconstruction of the medical building? I hope that proposed rooftop pool happens. Will the addition of phase 3 slow down the building process for phase 2?
My understanding is that the phase 3 site will be used as a staging area for the construction of phase 2. Whether that has changed or not I don't know. But they do have the sales to start phase 2 and a relaunch to include the 100+ units of phase 3 would probably push back construction by a year.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 11:27 PM

today

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:54 PM

A fair number of demolitions so far this year - this building, the Lorne, and the National Bank on Rideau. Maybe others, not sure.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post
My understanding is that the phase 3 site will be used as a staging area for the construction of phase 2. Whether that has changed or not I don't know. But they do have the sales to start phase 2 and a relaunch to include the 100+ units of phase 3 would probably push back construction by a year.

Cheers,
Josh
A year, huh? Bummer.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:08 PM
Back to Basics

Just the core and the roof left today:

To give some frame of reference, a Panorama from the West side of Bank Street South of Gladstone.

And another from the Northwest corner of Bank and Gladstone.

(All pictures courtesy Me and my iPhone. Paroramas created using AutoStitch found here: http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~brown/autostitch/autostitch.html )

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:19 PM
Back to Basics

The way these sold out so fast and with the demand for condos increasing, I am surprised Brad Lamb doesn't make Phase 3 a point tower in the 25 floor range. It would have great views over the other two phases. I don't think it would be too out of context for the area.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:30 PM

Actually, it kind of would be. I couldn't see anything more than 12-14 storeys built there, and even then it would require a zoning amendment and garner a lot of community flack. Central 1 got its extra storey or two because it was on a corner with commercial on all other corners.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
The way these sold out so fast and with the demand for condos increasing, I am surprised Brad Lamb doesn't make Phase 3 a point tower in the 25 floor range. It would have great views over the other two phases. I don't think it would be too out of context for the area.
Sure that would be nice but i have to say i really like the look of central 1 for a shirt building it looks alot bigger then it really is.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:41 PM

It does look taller than it actually is, and I'm sure the want for condo's in centertown and downtown is only going to increase. With the exception of some designated heritage locations, I can see more of Bank and other major streets downtown get redeveloped in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:54 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Actually, it kind of would be. I couldn't see anything more than 12-14 storeys built there, and even then it would require a zoning amendment and garner a lot of community flack. Central 1 got its extra storey or two because it was on a corner with commercial on all other corners.
I live in the neighbourhood and wouldn't mind 25 floors there. Every extra floor above 5 floors would mean 6-8 units which represents, a potential 120 residences not being built in or around the Greenbelt.

I am all for Intensification over Suburbanization. Fewer trees and greenspaces lost and fewer cars on the road.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 1:34 PM

DSC04395 by rakerman, on Flickr

DSC04400 by rakerman, on Flickr

See all pics I've taken so far in my Central condos set on Flickr.

Last edited by rakerman; Jun 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM. Reason: added photoset link

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:07 PM

I like those pics! Central is shaping up to be a welcome footprint on Bank Street for sure...bridging the gap between the office towers and centertown nicely!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post

Cheers,
Josh
Not sure what you mean here. I have a unit in Phase 2, they were 60% sold when I put money down on mine- and that was a long while ago. I have a more recent price list and there are very few units left. Construction on phase 2 was already supposed to start. I'm hoping that once the core structure from that medical building's gone they'll break ground.

I haven't got any word via email or anything from urbancapital about phase 3. I've said it here before, but they REALLY need to hire someone to update a blog or something, for people who have already put money down on these units. I would really like to keep up with what's going on without having to go into the sales office.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 9:29 PM
National Capital Region

one of the conditions from phase 2 is under appeal, hearing is in august
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL110357

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
one of the conditions from phase 2 is under appeal, hearing is in august
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL110357
Thats to bad i guess that means contsurction won't start untill the fall.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:51 AM

Pictures from 2011-Jun-22:

and clearing the way for Phase 3 (I think).

Note the water spray being used to try to reduce the dust.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 5:40 PM

DSC04522 by rakerman, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 1:39 AM

They should have gone for 12 floors here, considering the building already looks that good without all of it's exterior fitted yet...at 12 floors, it would have been more like a miniature version of Mondrian...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 4:46 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
They should have gone for 12 floors here, considering the building already looks that good without all of it's exterior fitted yet...at 12 floors, it would have been more like a miniature version of Mondrian...
I agree, but the height is fitting with the area for now. Maybe, as I suggested before, Phase 3 will go for the full height and stand 20 or 25 floors behind Phases 1 and 2.

Brad would have no trouble selling every unit I am sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa