HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:00 PM

Not sure if I'll be in town on that day, but if I am, I might be able to go speak.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 10:01 PM
Round Head

What Plan It are you on?

Experts divided about how to reach city's goals

By Grace Lui, Calgary HeraldMay 16, 2009

As a development manager for Carma Developers, and a former city planning official, Grace Lui offers the following opinions about Plan It, an ambitious proposal by city hall that could affect Calgary's growth for the next 60 years.

Inmy field, lively conversations occur between planners and developers upon hearing the words "Plan It."

Having worked in both the public and private sectors, I find myself regularly challenged to provide a balanced viewpoint between the two sides.

There are areas of consensus.

Both endorse the key directions of Plan It, and agree that we need to grow in a more compact manner. Most agree that Plan It is a worthwhile endeavour and will be approved in some form.

Discussion arises from differing viewpoints on how to get there.

Planners are very good at seeing us for who we "should be."Developers are very good at seeing us for who we are.

Neither group can claim accuracy in predicting what will happen in 30 or 60 years.

Plan It is a visionary document that sets out a 30-year plan, based on a 60-year vision, to be implemented in 10-year increments.

It aims for a more compact city and endorses expansion of our public transit system.

Transportation budgets will maintain existing roads, but will focus more on transit, walkways and cycling routes.

Managed congestion will motivate the shift from autos to walking, cycling and transit.

Under Plan It, the existing road network will be required to accommodate an additional two mil-lion car trips per day.

This assumes that transit use grows 400 per cent, and walking and cycling grows 265 per cent, in 60 years. Plan It will "endeavour to accommodate 33 per cent of Calgary's future population growth within developed areas of the city by 2039."

To understand what that means, realize that since 2006, 21 per cent of all new housing units built in the city have been constructed in the developed areas--and that has equated to minus two per cent population growth. It means that in spite of new units being built in existing areas, we have lost population to new suburbs.

The good news is that City of Calgary predictions for the next five years anticipate 23 per cent of new units to be built in developed areas representing zero per cent population growth. In the past 20-plus years (since 1986), we have averaged less than minus two per cent of new population growth in established communities.

To reach Plan It targets, 65 per cent of new population growth will be accommodated in established areas in 30 years.

Given that we have moved two per cent in the past 20 years, to go from zero per cent today to 65 per cent by 2039 is ambitious.

It challenges us to fundamentally shift how and where we grow, and assumes we will do it quickly.

Achieving these targets will require a streamlined process that removes barriers to development, and provides clarity about where and how much redevelopment will occur in established communities.

Although Plan It identifies some areas, it also relies on local community plans (such as Area Redevelopment Plans) to endorse areas for intensification.

While this respects the low-density character of many established communities, it poses a challenge for developers to overcome the NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) issues that get raised through an already lengthy approval process, further pushing out the timeframe for Plan It targets to be met.

Even assuming that approval processes can be shortened to support intensification and redevelopment, will Calgarians support these projects by moving from single-family housing areas into more compact multi-family forms?

City planners believe that significant changes are imminent which will lead this change in behaviour and preference.

The onset of peak oil, an aging population, higher reliance on immigrant populations and a more environmentally-conscious generation will exponentially shift existing behaviours.

Developers and builders make their living through monitoring change in people's preferences and behaviours.

They have found that the inclination to drive, demand parking, and move to single family homes (especially at certain life stages) have remained fairly constant.

Many believe that gas prices have greater impact on driving behaviours than congestion or land use policies -- and that increased fuel prices will only moderate driving, shifting people towards fuel-efficient vehicles sooner than influencing a change towards transit, walking or cycling.

Developers believe that some of these fundamental preferences will continue and barring sudden critical impacts, will only change at glacial speeds.

Ultimately, we are responsible sponsible through our collective actions in determining how far we go and how quickly.

The fundamental expectations tations of Plan It require more than public support at a hearing -- they require market support to see it through to success.

Passing the plan will not automatically make it happen.

We cannot force developers opers to bring forward projects that are not market-supported -- even visionary developers need financial support.

Planners cannot socially engineer people into desired behaviours through policy.

Council cannot mandate market trends to happen.

A balanced approach should sustain all forms of development, allowing people to choose what forms to support, and to change that support over time.

We should ensure that each form of growth pays for itself-- to a large degree, this is already happening.

Specific, measurable targets like population growth are difficult to predict on 30 and 60 year time horizons.

Visionary, long-term plans need to set clear direction, but they need to be broad enough to stand the test of time.

There is no status quo; things change.

The decisions we make as Calgarians will lead the pace

of change: everything else will follow from that.

Grace Lui is currently a development manager with Carma Developers. She recently worked at the City of Calgary developing transit-oriented developments and industrial land. Previous to that, she worked as both a private and public planner.

---------

IN SHORT

If you want to make your views known on Plan It: On May 6, as part of Plan It, the city released copies of the Pro-posed Municipal Development Plan and the Calgary Transportation Plan. The plans are expected to go to a public hearing of council June 23. To view these plans, go to Calgary.ca and click on the Plan It link. Comments for consideration at the public hearing must be received by the City Clerk's Office prior to 10 a. m. on June 11.

Email:city clerk@calgary.ca

Mail: City Clerk,

#8007 P. O Box 2100, Station M, Calgary,

AB T2P 2M5.

Tel: 403-268-5861. Fax: 403-268-2362.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...435/story.html
========================

Overall, a very sensible Op-Ed by Grace Liu.

To me the focus on the "targets" for growth numbers somewhat misses the point. I think where the targeting should really be occurring is in the investment decisions the City makes. It should be about giving growth within the city's boundaries every chance for success. If you build truly great infrastructure and amenities and put in a planning framework that facilitates growth, either the market will respond or it won't.

A target of 33% is somewhat arbitrary and actually impossible to predict. A suppose a stated target or goals is somewhat worthy and perhaps useful, but what really should be in the forefront of their mind is to put the conditions in place and make the necessary investments simply to encourage as many as they can to live in the core, on transit lines or within the existing built up area.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 1:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Developers join forces to fight plan

Calgary Herald June 3, 2009

Politics - Meetings labelled a "call to action" are normally the bane of developers--gatherings of frustrated community members with a laundry list of reasons why a project shouldn't go forward.

But there were dozens of developers and home builders Tuesday at such a session of their own, rallying against the city's proposed long-term blueprint for less sprawl and denser development.

The event, closed to reporters, was the latest in the industry's lobbying efforts against plan it Calgary. Developers and home builders were instructed on how to effectively voice their opposition at a June 23 public hearing.

Organizers distributed an information package with pre-written letters to send to aldermen, warning plan it will limit growth of suburban single-family homes and "Calgary will become a less desirable place to live and less attractive to new people and new business."

The city has launched an advertising campaign to sell Plan it to Calgarians. One ad depicts a 1950s-era couple scoffing that Calgary would never reach one million people.

Link

So the meeting was closed to the media eh? No surprise there, probably discussing how this plan would actually force them to do more than turn out acre after acre of cookie cutter houses and pocket a whole bunch of money.

I fail to see how Plan It would be a hindrance to attracting new business. Let's see, more people living in a 'slightly' smaller area so in theory more customers closer to my new business to spend their money...yeah that won't work at all...

On the people side, I guess everyone secretely loves spending hours of their day in traffic on their commute. Who knew we were all so happy doing that? Thanks for letting me know developers, big pat on the back for ya! I definitely wouldn't want to live in an area that has more services and transportation options within walking distance.

Damn I put a few rolleyes on my response.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 1:56 AM
Round Head

A message from the Plan It Calgary Facebook page.

Quote:
Remember that emails in support of Plan It need to be forwarded to cityclerk@http://www.facebook.com/l/;calgary.ca by 10am Thursday, June 11, 2009 to be included in the publicly circulated agenda for the Plan It public hearing.
Please cc themayor@http://www.facebook.com/l/;calgary.ca and alderweb@http://www.facebook.com/l/;calgary.ca and use "Plan It Response" in the subject line of your email.

Circle Tuesday, June 23, 2009 on your calendar and add Wednesday, June 24, 2009 for good measure. The Plan It public hearing opens in Council Chambers at 9:30am on the 23rd and runs until every Calgarian who wishes to speak to Council about Plan It has had their 5 minutes at the microphone. Please consider making a presentation, even if that means walking up to the mike to say "I support Plan It." We really do have a voice in the future of our city and we mean that literally!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 8:10 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

^^^ Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!

Quote:
Please accept this letter as my public statement of support for the Municipal Development Plan and the Calgary Transportation Plan that are being brought forward to City Council as a result of the Plan It Calgary consultation process.

The Municipal Development Plan and the Calgary Transportation Plan represent a critical milestone in Calgary’s progress and history. For the first time, transportation and land use planning have been considered as part of a broader whole with a longer and more strategic view, and this perspective greatly benefits both the Calgary Transportation Plan and its companion Municipal Development Plan. Moreover, the results of the Plan It Calgary process mark a significant change in the policy direction of this city by describing explicitly the value proposition of a sustainable and humanely scaled transportation and land use system to the residents of this municipality and this region. In a world where the price of doing nothing is ultimately far greater than what a city and its people can bear, the Municipal Development Plan and the Calgary Transportation Plan gives Calgarians a tangible and viable new direction for local development that will simultaneously support the prudent stewardship of municipal infrastructure funding and expand the range of housing, transportation, and civic participation opportunities in neighbourhoods responding fully to their environments and to economies of scale in service delivery. Put simply, the passage of the Municipal Development Plan and the Calgary Transportation Plan will ensure the successful setting of the stage for this city’s effective and responsible growth over the next ten years, and also ensure the successful painting of the necessarily broad strokes for this city’s development strategy over the subsequent fifty years.

I would be delighted to discuss this issue in further detail before City Council on 23 June. Please feel free to contact me if in the interim you should require any additional information about this issue. Thank you once more for the opportunity to make the case for the value of the Plan It Calgary process, and for the passage of the Municipal Development Plan and the Calgary Transportation Plan.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 12:26 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltliner View Post
^^^ Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!
Would you mind if I used that Товарищ?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:49 AM

Spoke with one alderman tonight who speculated that Plan It would pass the first reading on the 23rd/24th, albeit with some amendments (he said he had a couple in store), and be back at council as early as the fall for second and third readings.

Anyone going to make an appearance at council on the 23rd and/or write letters?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:51 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I imagine there's going to be a bunch of people at the plan-it discussion next week to get the Airport Trail tunnel back on the plans.

www.yestunnel.com

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:53 PM
Round Head

Whoever talks, mention the NCLRT for Centre Street!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 2:30 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I imagine there's going to be a bunch of people at the plan-it discussion next week to get the Airport Trail tunnel back on the plans.

www.yestunnel.com
Well it sounds like the airport tunnel people may be sidetracking a lot of the Plan-It discussion that will start tomorrow.

Anyone want to wager a guess on how many days it is going to take for everything to happen?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:48 AM

Well at last the city admin people are figuring 2+ days minimum now. Seems another group has been pretty vocal about the proposed bridge crossings over the Bow and Elbow and are going to make their presense known tomorrow.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:54 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Spoke with one alderman tonight who speculated that Plan It would pass the first reading on the 23rd/24th, albeit with some amendments (he said he had a couple in store), and be back at council as early as the fall for second and third readings.

Anyone going to make an appearance at council on the 23rd and/or write letters?
I am going to be giving a speech. Just my five minutes of fame...(yeah right)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I'll be watching as much of it as I can online. What time does it start?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:20 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Calgary planners say their vision will save $11B

By Jason Markusoff, with files from Joel Kom, Calgary Herald June 23, 2009 6:48 AM

CALGARY - Calgarians will use a marathon public hearing that starts today to alternately praise and decry a 60-year vision of their city as more compact and less car dependent, but they shouldn't expect their aldermen to render judgment on it this week.

Senior city sources predicted that after the likely multi-day hearing, the controversial Plan It Calgary strategy will be reconsidered for months by the city administration that developed it, to try resolving the problems that have made it so divisive.

Property developers and home builders decry Plan It's targets for density and limiting new suburban subdivisions, while residents who oppose sprawl and car-dominance have backed the plan.

City staff say Plan It would save Calgary an estimated $11 billion over the plan's six decades, since a less expansive city would need fewer new roads, transit stations, sewer pipes and fire halls.

The bulk of the epic stack of 585 public comments sent to aldermen on Plan It are resident opposition to a pair of bridges--over the Bow River at Edworthy Park and over the Elbow at Sandy Beach -- that would be for transit and emergency vehicles only.

Mayor Dave Bronconnier acknowledged the plan has been polarizing.

"Will all parties like the outcome? That I don't know," he said in an interview. "But what I do know is we can't keep with the current trend of sprawling in all directions."

Several aldermen have decried Plan It as social engineering ( ) that would drive up prices by limiting the number of single-family homes in Calgary.

Bronconnier said it's important to hear all sides at the public hearing, "and sometime between now and the end of the year conclude and move forward."

jmarkusoff@theherald.canwest.com---------

What Calgarians Think . . .

Joey Stewart Kingwell, Retiree, Glengarry

"Thank you for thinking of the future," kingwell writes at the end of her letter to aldermen. She's a former oilpatch worker, gardener and avid cyclist, and she's watched her inner-city neighbourhood get denser over the 45 years she's lived there, with many of the multi-family redevelopments plan it envisions throughout the city. To kingwell, it's transformed an aging neighbourhood into one where young families have returned. "It's a livelier, better place to live," she told the herald. "We've got strollers, we've got runners, we've got cyclists. . . . Everything about our neighbourhood feels richer." she's also encouraged by the proposals to build a more extensive network of cycling pathways and lanes in the next six decades. Even if she won't be alive to see that reshaped Calgary, she's happy future generations will inherit it.

Howard TSE, Purchasing Manager, Panorama Hills

"As a resident of Calgary and an owner of a single-family home, I cannot imagine, let alone fathom the possibility of raising my young family in a traffic-congested area with limited mobility," tse writes to council. Like most of the public commenters who oppose the plan it vision, tse works in the home-building/ development sector (although unlike many of them, he acknowledges his affiliation in his letter). However, he's mostly commenting from a personal perspective, he said in an interview. Tse argues the plan's call for half of all new residences to be built in existing communities will mean far more condo-style homes than people actually want, making the more popular choice--standalone houses--more expensive. Opposition would be more widespread if people understood the plan, he said. "More people know about toothpaste (fluoride) in water than they do about this plan for the city," he said. "It which will ultimately affect our lifestyles. Choice is going to be limited, for my kids in particular."

Felicia Esposito, Event Marketer, Wildwood

Esposito moved to this west-end neighbourhood five years ago because she loved walking her dog in edworthy park. She and dozens of neighbours flooded the city with letters warning that plan it's proposed bridge through the park and over the bow river would spoil their beloved green space. "I love Calgary, but we don't have to develop it to the point of not having these spaces around us," she said. In the 1990s, aldermen rejected another plan's call for a full traffic bridge spanning the park and the river, as well as ones over sandy beach, weaselhead flats and other parks. The fact this bridge would be more carefully designed, not be built for decades and only allow buses and emergency vehicles hasn't soothed opponents. "To have transit go by there every 10 minutes doesn't give me a good feeling that it's any better."

Link

So as Mersar has pointed it out it appears that a lot of people are either writing in or coming down to speak about those proposed bridges over the parks. So that plus the airport tunnel people...will people even be discussing the bulk of the report? Or is it going to get sidetracked for a couple of smaller issues within it? (well not small issues I know, but we are talking about 2 bridges and 1 tunnel in a giant report)

At least with the people 'for' the plan getting to speak first it can hopefully build enough positive momentum to help dissuade some of the more ridiculous 'against' speakers that we all know will come out of the woodwork for this.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:38 PM

I think that transportation/infrastructure took out the airport tunnel, and put in those bridges for the specific reason to cause a fight. No one is complaining about the huge high order transit network, HOV network, and bike lane network, which all mean giving up road lanes.

Very strategically planned I have got to say.

Plus, if 95% of the presentations against are about these two issues, the majors density one will fall by the wayside in the medias mind, council can ask for the report back with just the minor changes, and pass it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:47 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
I think that transportation/infrastructure took out the airport tunnel, and put in those bridges for the specific reason to cause a fight. No one is complaining about the huge high order transit network, HOV network, and bike lane network, which all mean giving up road lanes.

Very strategically planned I have got to say.
It's too early in the morning for me, I don't quite follow how taking out the tunnel and adding these bridges helps anything.

Or are you saying that they did it to distract from everything else in the plan like the HOV network and bike lanes?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:52 PM

Yes. And they can trade it back to 'compromise', instead of getting rid of something they actually wanted.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 2:01 PM
Round Head

I don't think those bridges are particularly essential to the transit network. There's got to be alternatives. If that was one of the major "Concesssions" in the plan to take them out, I wouldn't be upset. It is a bit of a red herring.

One thing I think that may end up going is the targets for inward vs. outward growth. In reality these targets aren't anything tangible, just an aspiration. A long as in practice the City is truly following through and doing what it can to intensify the core and existing built up area, what happens in terms of proportions, will happen.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 3:35 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

It begins...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 3:38 PM

What's the link again so I can stream city council hearings? I'll remember to bookmark it this time.

Please and Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy