HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 10:01 PM
Burming Hammer

i think we can officially move the Abroms-Engel Institute for the Visual Arts to the "completed" list.

this building is stunning! here are some pics i found online. official opening technically is january 16th.

from the Institute's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/aeiva.uab/photos_stream):

from instagram member "chik_pea" (http://instagram.com/chik_pea):

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 10:06 PM
Burming Hammer

also, i took a jog through railroad park today... LIV Parkside is officially under construction!

no heavy equipment out there yet, but there were orange stakes on site marking the location of each column. dirt should be moving any day now.

just a couple of blocks away, rotary trail is showing active signs of progress. equipment is on site, signs are up, ground has been broken.

finally, the birmingham school of law appears to be completed as well... from the outside, it appears to be completely furnished and all construction signs have been removed.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 2:59 PM

More signs of activity!
There was heavy equipment blocking the entrance to the parking lot where U.A.B. will be building the new Student Residence Hall on 9th Avenue and 16th Street S. and dirt is being moved around on the Student Center site.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 7:05 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Hey guys (and/or gals). Sorry I haven't been updating the master list lately... I've been going through some rough stuff for the past 30 days or so, and things this past weekend have been especially bad. Once things are resolved, or once I get over it all (), I'll be sure to perform some maintenance.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 4:16 PM
Burming Hammer

^yikes... take care of yourself, tasc! this can wait.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:31 AM
Burming Hammer

this is the homewood suites in 5 pts we've been hearing about. site is the former 5 pts music hall:

Design approved for new $15 million Five Points South hotel

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:57 AM

^Very nice! This is great for the neighborhood.

Homewood Suites are nice, I just stayed in a couple in Orlando & Tampa. This will give the Marriott Residence Inn around the corner some competition.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:13 AM
Burming Hammer

agreed. glad for the competition and a little more height in the area.

another atlanta firm, too.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:18 AM

According to AL.com's reporter Michael Tomberlin "the $50-$60 million renovation of the Pizitz building will get underway this summer, converting the building to apartments and retail or restaurant space to be completed by late 2015 or early 2016."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 4:03 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
agreed. glad for the competition and a little more height in the area.

another atlanta firm, too.
Couldn't agree any more. I love this design. It reminds me of the 1930's emporic design. (did i get the name right). I want to see more 12+ story buildings and hopefully another skyscaper that can be placed outside the fly zone. I really want to see Birmingham have the tallest building in the state again. I cannot wait to see what Birmingham has to offer in the next 10 years.

Also as a young man in my 20's, i have fancied with the idea of Birmingham suburbs and Atlanta suburbs connecting into a megalopolis in the next 100 years. I know this sounds crazy but at the rate the two cities are growing do you all think that it could happen in the distant future?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 12:40 PM
The Salty Ham

I think because of its on again off again nature, the Pizitz is the most important project downtown if not the Leer. I know many many other things are going on and the fate the city doesn't rest on it but I think symbolically it is at the forefront for morale and momentum.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 4:48 PM

Photo from Emporis. It's sad that this building was cancelled.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 6:32 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think because of its on again off again nature, the Pizitz is the most important project downtown if not the Leer. I know many many other things are going on and the fate the city doesn't rest on it but I think symbolically it is at the forefront for morale and momentum.
agreed... pizitz can't happen soon enough. luckily it sounds like they're proceeding even though they're not one of the first 10 projects to receive the historic tax credit. no doubt, they'll be in the next group.

my biggest concern right now is that retail doesn't seem to be following the residential. look at the bottom of cityville and 29Seven... both are largely devoid of retail except for a couple of sandwich shops.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 7:37 PM

Has anyone heard any news about the 15 story condo that is supposed to be built at the summit?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:31 PM
Burming Hammer

not in years... would be surprised if that happened. where would it go?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
not in years... would be surprised if that happened. where would it go?
i saw it on emporis. anyway i can't wait for the harbert 15 story condo constuction on highland ave. to start.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Couldn't agree any more. I love this design. It reminds me of the 1930's emporic design. (did i get the name right). I want to see more 12+ story buildings and hopefully another skyscaper that can be placed outside the fly zone. I really want to see Birmingham have the tallest building in the state again. I cannot wait to see what Birmingham has to offer in the next 10 years.

Also as a young man in my 20's, i have fancied with the idea of Birmingham suburbs and Atlanta suburbs connecting into a megalopolis in the next 100 years. I know this sounds crazy but at the rate the two cities are growing do you all think that it could happen in the distant future?
The idea of Birmingham and Atlanta suburbs meeting had been mentioned when construction began on Century Plaza Mall in the early 1970's. Then Birmingham Metro was growing to the east and Atlanta Metro was growing to the west and their suburbs were predicted to meet in the year 2000. But of course Birmingham went south and Atlanta went north and north east. I feel it is still possible if Grand River and Barbers Motorsport park are developed to their fullest potential and then it is just a matter of when.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:31 PM
The Salty Ham

It is great that Grand River and Barbers are there for the East Metro to develop around them but thats also because of Honda and Talladega which was recently added to the CSA. Not because of anything to do with Atlanta. Id rather dream of a stronger core with 350k+ within the city limits within the next 25 years. Anything like a Piedmont endless city sprawl would take over 100 years so no one here will see it. As you stated Birmingham grew south first - because of 459. It will go in the other directions only because of conditions and factors here in state and within the current metro like maybe the northern loop or 22.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:47 PM
Burming Hammer

some VERY interesting tweets coming from Fox 6 during the mayor's "state of the city" address today...

"Bell says city is working on replacement for Legion Field, hope to have announcement within 3-6 months"

and

"Bell says [Birmingham's] population will increase by 10,000 over next 5 years"

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
some VERY interesting tweets coming from Fox 6 during the mayor's "state of the city" address today...

"Bell says city is working on replacement for Legion Field, hope to have announcement within 3-6 months"

and

"Bell says [Birmingham's] population will increase by 10,000 over next 5 years"
Wow, a replacement for Legion Field. I hope it will have at least the same number of seats, 70,000 would set Birmingham off!!
I can definitely see 10,000 more people here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations