HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 8:59 PM

Crabtree & Evelyn Canada is filling and closing all its stores

Retailer Crabtree & Evelyn files for bankruptcy

Home and beauty products maker to close 19 stores, sell off inventory

The Canadian Press · Posted: Dec 03, 2018

Beauty and home products retailer Crabtree & Evelyn Canada Inc. is closing its stores and has filed for bankruptcy protection.

In Quebec court filings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, the company says it plans to begin liquidating inventory, so it can distribute the proceeds to creditors.

The company employs 123 full- and part-time employees in Canada and operates 19 stores, including 11 in Ontario, six in B.C. and one each in Alberta and Quebec.

The company says it has experienced "significant losses," which it attributed to changing consumer demand, the rise of e-commerce and long-term declines in traditional retail traffic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cra...elyn-1.4930786

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Breaking news on Retail Insider.

Apparently Miniso (Canada) has just filed for bankruptcy.

A sudden fall from grace for a retailer planning 500 locations in the country within the next decade.

Apparently corporate malfeasance is alleged, although there may be overtones of the Huawei debacle as well........

Miniso just opened their second Halifax location at the Halifax Shopping Centre on the weekend........

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

A sudden fall from grace for a retailer planning 500 locations in the country within the next decade.

Apparently corporate malfeasance is alleged, although there may be overtones of the Huawei debacle as well........

Miniso just opened their second Halifax location at the Halifax Shopping Centre on the weekend........
Dear God is their no justice in the world! Now the Chinese are taking away our cherished Faux Japonais peddlers of cheap crap in retaliation!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:25 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/low...crtc-1.4949421

Good news. Canada will finally be at where other civilized countries were at 15 years ago.
Those prices though...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/low...crtc-1.4949421

Good news. Canada will finally be at where other civilized countries were at 15 years ago.
Those prices though...
How is this cheaper? 30$ for 1 gb. I'm paying 30 for 6gb and I got that almost a decade ago

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's actually getting much worse because websites and services are using more and more data since they're designed for other countries with functional mobile industries. You can easily blow through your data cap in minutes with present-day technology.

It would be like if we had a monopoly on wired internet service and they were selling dialup plans in cities for $30/month. Or imagine if we had a monopoly on car manufacturing and cars cost $250,000 each, and there were a bunch of articles about how cars are just super expensive luxuries and the car companies are doing their best...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:05 AM

^yes totally. And the newer the phone the more data you blow through. I used to use my iphone to create a hotspot for my iPad and still be under my data. If I did that now I'd be over 20 gb a month lol

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
^yes totally. And the newer the phone the more data you blow through. I used to use my iphone to create a hotspot for my iPad and still be under my data. If I did that now I'd be over 20 gb a month lol
That's why these asinine 250 MB "data lite" plans referenced in the news articles are downright insulting. You simply turn your mobile data on and you'll hit 250 MB in no time.

All that 250 MB a month is good for is checking your e-mail a few times a day.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Fake News I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Don't believe Chinese propaganda. They are pissed Canada has a legal system separate from politics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brg10R6h...ns_share_sheet

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's actually getting much worse because websites and services are using more and more data since they're designed for other countries with functional mobile industries. You can easily blow through your data cap in minutes with present-day technology.

It would be like if we had a monopoly on wired internet service and they were selling dialup plans in cities for $30/month. Or imagine if we had a monopoly on car manufacturing and cars cost $250,000 each, and there were a bunch of articles about how cars are just super expensive luxuries and the car companies are doing their best...
Bingo. I uninstalled the Reddit app because I was blowing through 1 GB of data almost instantly just by opening the app. I still access Reddit using a browser on my phone, but that uses only a fraction of data. It's annoying because the website keeps pestering me to install the app.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Fake News I guess
What? They plan on selling "Quality Goods" to Canadians.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
What? They plan on selling "Quality Goods" to Canadians.
I don't even want to think of what the death toll would be if we lost this affordable yet more hipster version of Wal-Mart. Not everybody can get to Daiso or afford MUJI prices.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:51 PM

When I was in Australia I got a sim card for my time there, it was 35 GB plus a bonus amount for $30 and the dollar was at par. It was only slightly more if I wanted a phone number. It also included 50 texts to 100+ countries.

All the phone plans down there are much cheaper. You can get 80 GB plans for under $100.

I got that deal of $10 GB for $60 last December with Telus that the phone companies were offering in the "cell phone" war of 2017 , but after everything is factored in it's costing me $95.20 per month.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
I don't even want to think of what the death toll would be if we lost this affordable yet more hipster version of Wal-Mart. Not everybody can get to Daiso or afford MUJI prices.
I bought some containers at Miniso for 2.99 they had the same ones or exact copies as ones from Miju that sell there for 7.50, i went back to get some more but they were all sold out but I found the exact ones at Daiso for $4 ea.

With miniso you gotta pay attention, for example if you buy one pen it is $2.99 but there is a sign, sometimes visible, that says you can get 3 for $2.99, depending on the sales person they will say to you these are 3 for 2.99 go get 2 more otherwise you pay 2.99 for one.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 8:35 AM

Boxing Day originated in the UK and this year in particular is expected to be a record breaking shopping day for the bank holiday. I wonder how Boxing Day sales in Canada will be.

Quote:
Retailers are expecting the biggest ever Boxing Day spend on Wednesday as savvy consumers wait until after Christmas to buy their presents at discounted prices.

Analysts have predicted a record £4.75 billion of transactions amid price cuts of up to 90 per cent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ill-christmas/

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Boxing Day originated in the UK and this year in particular is expected to be a record breaking shopping day for the bank holiday. I wonder how Boxing Day sales in Canada will be.
I'd be curious to hear the numbers too.

Culturally it does seem as though Boxing Day has slipped significantly in Canada over the last decade or so, more or less in direct response to the growing hype for Black Friday.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:21 AM

I did all my boxing day shopping online. Some of the sites had a better deal on black friday.

Dependng on the source and the spin some say the sales were lower than years ago, others say it was "madness" with packed malls

----

'We’ll never do it again': Some shoppers unimpressed with Boxing Day in Winnipeg

Jason Gaidola, CTV Winnipeg

CF Polo Park was home to heavy traffic and long lines on Boxing Day.

Winnipeg’s largest mall opened its doors and stores like EB Games had a lineup of people that lasted for hours.

“I arrived here at 7:30 (a.m.), I waited outside,” said Darien Valentine, who was attempting to purchase an Xbox for his partner.

Winnipeg’s largest mall opened its doors and stores like EB Games had a line-up of people that lasted for hours.

“It’s like 1:15pm…It’s heartbreaking.”

Valentine said he typically purchases his video games and consoles online, but wanted to take his chance at the mall for a possibly better deal, and to get the Xbox right away.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/we-ll-ne...ipeg-1.4231785

Boxing Day shopping was madness across Canada this year (PHOTOS)

Canadian bargain-hunters didn’t let the cold weather, fatigue or long lineups stop them from hitting the streets and shopping for the latest sales this Boxing Day.

In fact, many Canadian malls saw massive lineups and crowds with shoppers patiently waiting to get their hands on the biggest electronics, apparel and jewellery deals.

Here’s what went down from coast to coast.

Vancouver
Vancouverites braved the rain as shoppers flooded McArthurGlen mall in a heavy and constant flow of traffic.

Both the Richmond Centre and Tsawwassen Mills were happening all day.

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/boxing-...da-photos-2018

-----

More Alberta shoppers searching for Boxing Day deals online

By Michael King
Digital Journalist Global News

Big ticket items like TVs, laptops, and vacuums flew off Calgary shelves Boxing Day, even as Canadians do more of their shopping online.

A recent survey from RetailMeNot showed that while Canadians still think Boxing Day offers some of the best deals of the year, fewer shoppers are willing to drive to the mall.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4795266/a...line-shopping/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:29 AM

Unless I'm missing something it seems like these sales happen all week. Every time I've gone to check out Boxing Day sales (or Black Friday) it's spread out. Or just go online. Also I noticed with Black Friday some stores had better sales AFTER Black Friday.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:39 AM

Yes the sales last a long time. You can see online that the price is good until Jan 9 on some things I looked at. Clothing gets better once the winter sales/clearance get going in January.

Boxing day is good if you like christmas stuff, walmart puts its fairly cheap christmas stuff on sale at 50% including chocolate, gift sets like perfume/cologne, bath stuff, those weird gifts you get like all in one flashlight, etc. so they can get really cheap and sell out in the first day.

If anyone likes clinique they have 50% off gift sets, so one of the happy colognes with a face a scrub and a body wash is like $44. The cologne (100ml) sells regularly for $80 on its own. So thats a good deal. The bay has the same set on sale for $67.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:54 AM
The New Republic

I thought I'd try Boxing Day shopping for the first time and left with mixed feelings about the whole thing. To keep the day tolerable I limited myself to Best Buy only. It was busy but not packed with crazed people like I expected. The discounts were proper discounts and the guy helping me was calm, friendly, and polite.

I bought a television that was $1000 off. After that the experience took a nose dive. I was handed off to some Geek Squad guy who didn't give a shit what I wanted. He wanted to unload as many 'extras' on me as possible and looked annoyed that I wasn't saying yes.... and doing it quickly. He was going 100 mph and told us we had to hurry up because his manager was waiting for us. Complete lie as when we got there to be rung in we had to wait. The bad vibes continued. The girl checking my receipt on the way out had no social graces to speak of. She wouldn't make eye contact and got pissed off that my mother asked her a question.

I got a good deal but ....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada