HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:06 AM

Last edited by cesar90; Jul 12, 2016 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Why does it feel that every new development, whether its a tower or 7 story, MUST have a pool, gym, sauna, meeting room, spa, and crazy garbage like redwood floors, $20,000 for appliances and etc?

Just give me a freaking building, no pool, no gym, none of the other smoke and mirrors. I don't want imported wood from South America, I don't want appliances from Europe. Its as if developers feel they wont make a sale unless they add 100k in extras on top of the already high price.
You need to give your guests some amenities, it drives up price and makes them much more desirable. It's simply more profitable in the long run.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:48 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
And a big podium as well!
I love the design of the tower itself, but that podium... yikes. Most of these new high-rise developments look like parade floats.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:59 AM

From the last few days:

At Mateo by Hunter, on Flickr

Santa Fe Ave Project by Hunter, on Flickr

Downtown Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Frankentower by Hunter, on Flickr

9th & Broadway by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr

11th & Hill by Hunter, on Flickr

11th & Hill by Hunter, on Flickr

Commercial Exchange by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis by Hunter, on Flickr

Downtown Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

801 S Olive by Hunter, on Flickr

753 S Broadway by Hunter, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Flickr
Awesome update as always Hunter. Ooooo, I like the black. I hope this doesn't mean it's not being cladded but honestly I can't say I would mind. Doesn't look half bad.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
From the last few days:

oddstuffmagazine.com

quite seriously, the amt of graffiti & the extreme lengths that taggers go to to mark up bldgs in dtla.....which various photos of yours have shown through the months....hints at the number of potential trespassers lurking in any part of dt at any hour, of any day of the wk.

I'm disturbed by the way such ppl continue to get around the barricades of what one would assume are otherwise generally well secured properties like the old may co bldg.

but such a relief to see the blue jeans store finally closed & under renovation! Not a second too soon. One down & many more to follow, hopefully.

btw, caligrad, the unfinished, rusting condo tower on wilshire blvd was there during the first half of the 1980s. So most forumers are too young to remember or probably weren't even born when that eyesore existed. But exist it did. That's why all the projs now underway in dt can never be treated as a totally done deal....at least not until they're fully finished &, better yet, fully opened and fully leased or fully sold out.

that's one reason I'm not quite so indignant as certain forumers are when hunter has expressed a bit of skepticism about what the future may hold for devlpt in dt.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
quite seriously, the amt of graffiti & the extreme lengths that taggers go to to mark up bldgs in dtla.....which various photos of yours have shown through the months....hints at the number of potential trespassers lurking in any part of dt at any hour, of any day of the wk.

I'm disturbed by the way such ppl continue to get around the barricades of what one would assume are otherwise generally well secured properties like the old may co bldg.

but such a relief to see the blue jeans store finally closed & under renovation! Not a second too soon. One down & many more to follow, hopefully.

btw, caligrad, the unfinished, rusting condo tower on wilshire blvd was there during the first half of the 1980s. So most forumers are too young to remember or probably weren't even born when that eyesore existed. But exist it did. That's why all the projs now underway in dt can never be treated as a totally done deal....at least not until they're fully finished &, better yet, fully opened and fully leased or fully sold out.

that's one reason I'm not quite so indignant as certain forumers are when hunter has expressed a bit of skepticism about what the future may hold for devlpt in dt.
I had the same trouble here in West L.A./Palms, but I tagged our neighborhood with "Neighborhood Watch Signs" and requested graffiti removal (a hundred times).
What should I say? It worked! This guys are very fast and keep our neighborhood clean.

That's their site:

https://myla311.lacity.org/portal/fa...48420718233833

Los Angeles just doubled its reward for information leading to graffiti arrests. I am always in contact with our police, we work as a team and we know each other.

That's our neighborhood, that are our people, I know so many families here and I am not afraid. There is only one "gang" that I accept and that is the neighborhood watch.

edit..

It isn't over yet.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Jul 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:26 PM

Whoa, bye bye Blue Jeans? Wonder what they're doing there...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Whoa, bye bye Blue Jeans? Wonder what they're doing there...
I believe it's an Adidas store.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Could be, although this article seems to indicate adidas is looking at the Singer Sewing building next to the Tower.

Quote:
Adidas is considering the space next door, between the theater and Urban Outfitters, according to a source familiar with the deal.
http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...-stage/?page=2

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/work-underwa...ory-dtla-tower

As of this morning, 1120 Grand Avenue is officially underway.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:33 PM

^^^I honestly had zero hope that this one would actually happen. For some reason I have near zero confidence with Mack Urban getting towers done but I don't know why.

Quote:

Jesus, thanks for clarifying. WOW. That's CRAZY ! if that were to happen today I would probably lose my mind. And you're right. I was born a few months before the article was posted. ugh it feels so long ago

Do you remember which building it was? Cant believe that the city/county allowed it to sit as a skeleton for 8 years. But then again....It was LA of the 80s. Its a mess now, I would imagine city hall was a train wreck back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
You need to give your guests some amenities, it drives up price and makes them much more desirable. It's simply more profitable in the long run.
Oh I know. But like we all know there is a market for people who don't need/want a parking space, I think there is also a submarket for people like me who don't want all of the extra amenities with bells and whistles, especially if it means we can get a spot for far cheaper. The only thing that I think would weigh on my decision is a washer and dryer. I hate the laundry mat with a passion.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:

oddstuffmagazine.com

Citywatch, I couldn't agree with you more about the graffiti problem. It disgusts me. What is puzzling is how the city did not deem the owners' of the Merrit and adjoining buildings to be slumlords and assess them fines. I say that because it is obvious that many of the Broadway property owners have absolutely no pride of community, city, or even ownership. Their goal was to buy at the bottom of the market and make minimal investment. Because of tax advantages they could even profit by not renting their space up to a certain point. Their MO was to wait out the market, hope for incremental improvements (always on someone else's dime), and then sell. Usually to some developer who has greater aspirations for the street as well as downtown in general. In my opinion they were (are still) deadbeats, bloodsuckers, etc..

Also,
I am not too young to remember the rusting hulk on Wilshire. It was truly an eyesore for years. Not only was a story written up in the Los Angles Times but I seem to remember it also made Time or Newsweek. Anyway, all the photos of the sunsets through the rusting skeleton were lovely.
Oh, and concerning the Mitsui Fudosan development (not shown because of the photos size), which in my opinion (as an armchair architect mind you) is a very handsome building, podium and all. Based upon the concept of vanishing points if one were to draw a line from the parapet of the tower to the 777 tower my guess is that it would be around 575 feet in height. At an average of 13.75 ft. per floor these are thick floor plates for a residential tower.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jul 12, 2016 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Its actually a Footlocker / Nike concept.. The Adidas store is going in by Urban outfitters.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:22 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Is this one going to break ground sometime soon too?
http://urbanize.la/post/two-tower-de...staples-center

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

Blackcat did you have a link to information about the towers redesign?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:31 PM

DSC_0165 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

They've spray painted the grass green. no joke.
DSC_0156 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0157 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0168 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0174 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0177 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0178 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0181 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0182 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0184 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0186 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0187 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0188 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0189 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0192 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0193 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0194 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0195 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0196 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0198 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0200 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0201 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0202 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0203 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0205 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0206 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0208 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0210 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0211 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0214 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0215 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0217 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

DSC_0219 by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:31 PM

Anyone have any updated info on the 1133 Hope tower? Would be a nice addition to this (now booming) corridor in South Park along side Onni's twin towers, Mack Urban's tower(s), and the (possible) City Century towers just south on Grand.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Anyone have any updated info on the 1133 Hope tower? Would be a nice addition to this (now booming) corridor in South Park along side Onni's twin towers, Mack Urban's tower(s), and the (possible) City Century towers just south on Grand.
That project died due to opposition from the neighborhood. They kept delaying it which killed the project. Mack Urban has no other towers planned that we've seen thus far announced. The 37 story is under way. City Century will be in a few months and Onni's towers seem to be imminent.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Its actually a Footlocker / Nike concept.. The Adidas store is going in by Urban outfitters.
It's actually going to be something called Footaction which is a small branch of Footlocker. Another outlet? Lol

https://www.apparelnews.net/news/201...n-coming-dtla/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations