HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 1:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
No its a lot more than just the parkway and governors. The state has only sent back less than half of the gas tax sent by madison county back for road construction. 100% blame is to the state for constantly delaying the overpasses at US 72 and moores mill/shields. No the roads in the county like wall triana and jeff road you are right the state isn't responsible for that.. but technically those roads arent in the Huntsville city limits either. Thats Madison/Monrovia Harvest. The roads in the Huntsville city limits are fine for the most part. I can think of a ton of other roads that are in the state's jursidication that have been delayed, you must not be familiar with ALDOT. Ask anybody from Birmingham or Huntsville and many other cities in Alabama how their road projects are constantly delayed. Yes Huntsville is partially responsible but the majority of the blame goes to the inept organization of ALdot.
University at Jordan really needs an overpass. They were talking about adding an overpass back in the late 80's, but it never materialized. It does need it bad.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 2:11 PM
America's Mars Rocket

On a side note Huntsville is the only city in Alabama that has funded state
projects on their own, to get the projects started earlier, Governors Drive
and several Parkway overpasses are current ones. This is unheard of and really a way ALDOT takes advantage of the city, but the plus side is the project at least gets started.
From WAFF

By Elizabeth Gentle
WAFF 48 News Reporter

The Huntsville-Madison area is busting at the seams with new homes and businesses.

Can the road system in place handle the growth and extra traffic?

Everywhere you look new development is under construction.

A Target shopping center is planned for Highway 72 East.

Publix is building at the corner of Highway 53 and Jeff Road.

And TJ Maxx opens its doors in this new strip mall on University Drive next month.

The highways are bumper-to-bumper now.

More growth is only going to make the commute more difficult.

"There's so much construction going on you always have to take a detour somewhere. It takes you such a long time," says Madison County resident Tracey Burgess.

The biggest headache for many drivers is University Drive and 72 West.

Some 55,000 people travel this 4-lane every day.

'It's an enormous amount of traffic. There are interstates that don't have 55,000 cars a day going down them," says Madison County Commissioner Dale Strong.

The plan for the future is to help relieve some of the traffic congestion in and around Huntsville, Madison, and Madison County.

Commissioner Dale Strong looks over the latest estimate on some 70 unfunded highway projects needed in the area.

But the work doesn't come cheap.

"The estimates to do Highway 72, to 7-lane it from Providence Main to County Line Road, is in excess of $31 million," says Strong.

The problem is funding.

As the area grows, many wonder if the infrastructure already in place can handle the traffic.

"You wonder where is everything going to go and where are all the roads going to accommodate," says Burgess.

Huntsville has at least 5 major unfunded projects they are hoping to see money for.

That includes overpasses and interchanges at Mastin Lake Road and adding an interchange at 72 East and Ryland Pike.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
University at Jordan really needs an overpass. They were talking about adding an overpass back in the late 80's, but it never materialized. It does need it bad.
At this point if it means closing Popeye's to build it, then we can do without it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post
Anyone know what is going up next to the new Superior Bank in Hampton Cove? Looks like it might be a free-standing restaurant or something...
Since no one answered this one, I thought I'd let you all know that the "coming soon" sign is up and our wonderful new restaurant in Hampton Cove is ............................

Hardees!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:33 PM
That Golfer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post

Since no one answered this one, I thought I'd let you all know that the "coming soon" sign is up and our wonderful new restaurant in Hampton Cove is ............................

Hardees!
Hey, Hardees at least has the best fast food breakfast and best fast food burgers around.

Last edited by -=skywalker=-; Mar 1, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:14 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

I was reading a few months back in the Hunstville Times about a New Orleans "French Quarter " type of retail development in Madison. Does anybody know when they will break ground on this development and were at in Madison ?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 1:29 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Go here to see an excellent slideshow of the new ATC Tower and Huntsville
International Airport, from Sellersphoto. May need a few minutes to load
depending on your connection,

http://www.sellersphoto.com/clients/tower/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 3:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

I wouldn't count on Sharper Image opening in Bridge Street anytime soon,
since the company has filed for bankruptcy and will close about half of it's
184 stores. Did anybody really ever buy anything at these overpriced gadget
stores?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8UU2P8O1.htm

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 8:34 PM
America's Mars Rocket

I guess the Governor may see that ALDOT is stuck in the mud and hinderance to economic growth in the state. Hopefully this won't become just another layer of delays and politics.

MONTGOMERY, AL- Alabama Governor Bob Riley wants oversight for the Alabama Department of Transportation.
Governor Riley is pushing state lawmakers to pass legislation creating an independent commission to oversee the department.

The legislation passed the House and awaits action by the Senate. Riley will hold a news conference this afternoon to highlight the need.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 12:26 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
new Huntsville Campus, 1 block west of Bridge Street in
Cummings Research Park. They will all be 3 story buildings

Northrop Grumman plans to begin construction on the second building in it's Research Park campus. They employ 1200 in Huntsville.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:16 PM
America's Mars Rocket

work on the waterfront on the Tennessee River..

By JOHN PECK
Times Staff Writer john.peck@htimes.com
Marina plans new slips, fuel dock, restaurant

Ditto Landing Marina is on course for an extreme makeover.

The Huntsville-Madison County Marina and Port Authority is mulling a $2 million plan that would add slips for larger yachts, dock space with hookups for overnighting vessels, and a new fuel dock with a well-stocked "ship store."

Administrative offices would relocate to the fuel dock, freeing the office pavilion overlooking the river for rent-paying events like parties.

The projects would be paid for largely with recently awarded federal grants.

Ditto officials met in a work session Tuesday to discuss proposed projects and ways to come up with the required match money.

Authority Chairman Wally Kirkpatrick said marina officials will "leave no stone unturned" in their quest for the required $680,000 in match money. "We're going to turn up the burner in our search for money," he said.

The work could begin by fall and be completed by spring 2009, said authority member Christy Martin, who helped author the grant application.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 2:50 PM

2nd high school set for Madison
Friday, March 07, 2008
By WENDY REEVES
Times Staff Writer wendy.reeves@htimes.com

Facility will be on Limestone side of County Line Road

MADISON - It's finally official: Madison will be getting a new high school for grades 9-12.

Planning for the new school was unanimously approved Thursday night by the Madison Board of Education.
Advertisement

"Now, if we can just find the money, we'll be good to go," said Superintendent Dr. Dee Fowler, who led a round of applause after the board approved his recommendation.

The school will be built on 70-plus acres on the Limestone County side of County Line Road.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletim...740.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 2:57 PM

So... which is the intersection that frustrates you the most. I'm not talking about the worst intersection, but the one that frustrates you specifically.

A) Jordan Lane / University

B) Whitesburg / Governors

C) University / Memorial Access

D) Airport Road / Memorial Access

E) SuperTarget West / University

F) Memorial / Max Luther

G) Weatherly / Memorial

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post
So... which is the intersection that frustrates you the most. I'm not talking about the worst intersection, but the one that frustrates you specifically.

F) Memorial / Max Luther

G) Weatherly / Memorial

One that you haven't listed 72 Moores/Mill and Shield, the ones you listed arent that bad to me. I usually drive on Jordan Land/University the most out of the ones you listed though.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:09 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post

F) Memorial / Max Luther

G) Weatherly / Memorial

I would have to Say WEATHERLY/MEMORIAL....

They are starting the overpass which is great.. My main frustration is that there are two turn lanes to go North on the Parkway... the farthest right is an exclusive turn lane. The left lane is a turn and straight lane. People going straight are always in the second turn lane(left) and the other straight lane is completely empty!!! Let the people that need to turn, TURN!!! It is so frustratiing when you get a green arrow and there are 10 cars lined up, but the first car is going straight so the lane doesn't move until the light cycles through to a regular green light. Then out of the 10 cars the first one is the only one going straight.. and again.. the other straight lane is completely empty... I guess they are trying to get to Hardee's across the parkway... PLEASE USE THE OTHER STRAIGHT LANE!!!

Sorry.. had to vent a little bit!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:47 PM

Moore's Mill and Shields. My bad... I forgot about that one. It is pretty bad.

I live in Five Points, so it feels like I live in a box bordered by:
1) Whitesburg / Governors barring my way South
2) Memorial / University barring my West
3) Max Luther / Memorial barring my North

All veeeery long lights. I actually open my mail or scan magazines when I'm at those intersections.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 8:10 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Enterprise Way/ University Dr.
Governors West/ Old Madison Pike at Bridge Street( I think they are still working on the timing for this one).
Airport Rd/ Memorial Parkway
Bob Wade Ln/ Memorial Parkway, this intersection is throw back to the 1960's.
Research Park Blvd/ Jordan Ln (Highway 53) there will be an overpass here
one day.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 8:27 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Unemployment rates for the area/state.

From staff reports
Huntsville Times
Alabama's unemployment rate rises to 4%

Madison County's jobless rate rose to 3.3 percent in January, up from 2.8 percent in December, but still ranking as the second-lowest rate in Alabama.

The state unemployment rate was 4 percent, up from a revised estimate of 3.7 percent in December, according to the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations. State officials had initially reported Alabama's December unemployment rate at 4 percent before revising it this month.

Alabama had not seen an unemployment rate of 4 percent or higher since September 2005.

The U.S. unemployment rate in January was 4.9 percent, down from 5 percent in December. The U.S. jobless rate in January 2007 was 4.6 percent.

Statewide, workers lost 26,500 jobs from December to January, including some 12,000 seasonal jobs.

Shelby County had the lowest unemployment rate in the state at 2.9 percent, but that was up from 2.6 percent in December. Limestone and Blount counties tied for the third-lowest rate in the state at 3.5 percent.

Among Alabama's 11 metropolitan areas, the Huntsville metro area, which includes Limestone County, had the lowest jobless rate at 3.3 percent. The Decatur metro area, which also includes Lawrence County, had a 4 percent unemployment rate.

The Birmingham-Hoover metro area had a 4 percent unemployment rate in January. Other metro area jobless figures included Montgomery, 4.4 percent; Mobile, 4.5 percent, and Florence-Muscle Shoals, 4.8 percent, the highest metro total in the state.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 8:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This is a surprise since they seemed to be doing a great business

Backyard Burger closed it's University drive location, and the Athens location
closed earlier this year. They were both owned by the same person I think.
Sounds like it may be something other than customers. I ate there just last week, good as usual.

They also closed their Florence and Muscle Shoals stores.
Well Five Guys will now get even busier,

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
This is a surprise since they seemed to be doing a great business

Backyard Burger closed it's University drive location, and the Athens location
closed earlier this year. They were both owned by the same person I think.
Sounds like it may be something other than customers. I ate there just last week, good as usual.

They also closed their Florence and Muscle Shoals stores.
Well Five Guys will now get even busier,
I heard local financial issues with the franchisee. Almost Boston Market or TJ Cinnamons like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast