Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:29 AM

10 best record stores in Vancouver

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/best-...s-in-vancouver

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
cassettes are making a comeback apparently...

Inflagranti are releasing their new album on cassette - from their facebook page
I never got into cassettes. I did get into DAT (look it up). That ended in tears..

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:13 PM
sick transit, gloria

Cassettes were big with noise rock bands about 7-10 years ago as well - they usually had them at shows. It was intentionally lo-fi to go with the sound. Even then they included a digital download link. I have a few somewhere in my place as they were usually cheap, $10 or less.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
I never got into cassettes. I did get into DAT (look it up). That ended in tears..
DAT was great in the studio. (I was involved in recording a number of albums in the 90's utilising DAT as the primary recording material) But other than superior audio over a traditional cassette, it had no justification for the extra cost compared to a CD.

As for mini-disc, now there's a short-lived market. I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" on mini-disc with the full intention of buying a mini-disc player add-on to my Kenwood stack-system. I never got round to that purchase, and so never played the one mini-disc I've ever owned. Regrettably I gave it away with a pile of stuff to a charity shop.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 7:19 AM

Visage is releasing a best off with some limited edition cassettes

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
DAT was great in the studio. (I was involved in recording a number of albums in the 90's utilising DAT as the primary recording material) But other than superior audio over a traditional cassette, it had no justification for the extra cost compared to a CD.

As for mini-disc, now there's a short-lived market. I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" on mini-disc with the full intention of buying a mini-disc player add-on to my Kenwood stack-system. I never got round to that purchase, and so never played the one mini-disc I've ever owned. Regrettably I gave it away with a pile of stuff to a charity shop.
Ah yes, MD's! I had a Sony component MD for a couple of years. Never bought an actual release but I made about 10 mixed MDs. Never got around to buying a portable as CD burning and the iPod put an end to MD. I gave the lot to a musician friend, the only other person I knew who had embraced the technology.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Uh oh. I hope this doesn't destroy the local ones we have.

Hopefully, as a larger chain the selection won't be a draw away from Fred's - either cliche, or not enough local artists, or what have you.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:36 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We're getting another little one; should be good.

Quote:
When Steve Wheeler first got into hip hop as a teenager, it was the rhymes and rebellious nature of the music that drew him in.

While living in Vancouver during his 20s, he got involved in the DJ culture and started to gain an appreciation for the production value.

By the time he hit his 30s, Wheeler had developed a deeper appreciation for the source material that the hip hop artists sampled to make their music; funk and jazz artists of the 1960s and 70s like James Brown, Fred Wesley, Bob James, and the J.B.’s. to name but a few.

“That form of music is gone,” says Wheeler. “The type of music is being made now is not sample driven, it's computer driven.

“In my opinion, the music reflects that. It sounds thin, it sounds electronic, and the production value lacks, and it's reflective of what it's being boxed into.”

No Equal Records, a new downtown St. John’s record shop owned and operated by Wheeler and his wife Sheena Chaytor, will be a place where music fans can learn about genres and art forms he believes are in danger of being forgotten forever.

“The music I'm going to have here, not everybody knows about it. I just wanted to put a spotlight on to this type of music and turn more people on to it.

“All the sampled music, all the music that isn't coming back again, the combination of a bunch of art forms that have died and been resurrected over the years.

In addition to original pressings, No Equal Records will also carry reissued vinyl records. He knows the true collectors covet the rare finds and the original copies, but he doesn’t believe in depriving oneself of a record if the music is the same.

“If there's an awesome album that happens to be reissued and you have to pay for it to get it, from a music collectors standpoint, that's awesome.”

Products won’t be limited to just vinyl records. They’re also planning on cassettes and a selection of turntables.

“I've had a lot of people say they'd like to collect more vinyl, but they can't get a decent turntable.

“I'm not going for the sound room look either, where you come in and there's an amp for $3,000, I'm going to go mid-range and get more people into it.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...-johns-159003/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:20 PM
HVAC guru

I've been collecting on & off for almost 20 years now... current collection sits at around 2500 albums

There are some decent record stores in Edmonton, the best one IMO in Record Collector's paradise on the west end. A bit of a hole in the wall but owned by a true enthusiast, plus they sell vintage audio gear as well.

I run an Akai AM-2600 amplifier from 1978, pushing through a set of vintage Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers on the front and DX-1's on the back. Turntable is a mid 80's top end Technics. This system is one of the many reasons I can't live in a condo

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London has a number of great places to acquire vinyl.
Number one is probably Grooves, right downtown. Their new pressings collection has been expanding greatly. https://groovesrecordstore.com/

Second would probably be The Village Idiot, in Wortley Village. Huge collection, mostly used. https://www.facebook.com/TheVillageIdiotWortley/

There is a huge antique store a short walk from my house, which has many rooms of items sold on consignment. I pick up 3-4 albums per month. Often for a steal (they have everything, including wax cylinders, shellac 78 RPMs, giant amount of big band/jazz, and seventies cheeze.)

LFP

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Cerwin Vega
I got me some of those, but sadly, I have recently found that one has basically rotted out due to too many years in an unfinished basement (former house).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:33 PM

I have to admit....those are bad ass.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:40 PM

Vinyl is the only way to experience real music. Digital formats like CDs and FLAC are just a soulless series of 1s and 0s. They don't capture what's between and beyond 1 and 0 like vinyl can.

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:59 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Since getting back into vinyl after a long hiatus I've fallen in love with independent record shops.
You posted this in February 2017. So, how are we doing?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:06 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You posted this in February 2017. So, how are we doing?
If you mean, how's the collection going? Well, my intention has never been to replace everything I have digitally with vinyl, or to listen to vinyl only, so my purchases tend to be the odd favourites here and there that I'll enjoy in my living room.

Like this.

And this.

But I've gotten to know the guys who run the shops. One night a while back I was out for a walk and noticed that the owner was in his shop past the regular closing hour. I stopped in to say hello and ended up chatting about this and that for well over a half an hour. It's that sort of personal connection that warms my heart and bonds me to this place. Record shops seem more likely to offer this than other places. In my experience, anyway.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:18 PM
Mooderator

My wife went on vacation in late August, and I played this on repeat.

She hates ZZ Top.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Vinyl is the only way to experience real music. Digital formats like CDs and FLAC are just a soulless series of 1s and 0s. They don't capture what's between and beyond 1 and 0 like vinyl can.

What about cassettes?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What about cassettes?
what about 8-track? Oooh yeah, that's hi-fidelity!

boogienights

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

great buy:

amazon

music is great, but you can also spend hours looking at the scene on the album cover. Rather like Revolver.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post

On Saturday my wife, son and I went on a university tour and saw a typical residence that he could live in. It was a Saturday afternoon and the place was so quiet. No mega speakers like Molson has. These young whippersnappers have their collection of music on their phones for their own personal enjoyment...considering most of it is crap it may be a good thing we don't have to listen to it.

We met up with my wife's sister and her family who have a son considering going to this university. About 4 years ago they moved to a more rural setting and the net result is the 17 year old cousin/nephew has developed an appreciation for C & W along the standard top 40 and hip hop dirge.

This video sums it up. I know Molson hates this music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgNm8qH-I

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada