Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
3) Calgary; 27 300
4) Edmonton; 27 100
Edmonton closing the gap on Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 1:22 AM

Have to say based on Metro population, Saskatoon is well above average and beating most "major" cities.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 5:02 AM

cbsvan............

What I said is very true and I know a LOT about economics.

The simple reality is that businesses need highly trained workers and places to grow and Vancouver offers neither. Real estate has so warped the economy that businesses cannot afford to expand operations when they need to and can't get or keep the well educated.

When you are well educated/trained there are lots of jobs out there but people simply don't want to spend most of their income buying some shack and hour from work. They have all the options in the world. The situation is so bad that UBC actually offers subsidized low cost rentals to new profs at the Endowment Lands because they cannot attract new and younger profs as the old ones retire. The new employees may like the job offer and the city but look at their housing options and balk.

I heard a UBC prof interviewed who said that the situation is so serious that within 10 years the school may have to start dropping courses or even entire subjects due to a simple lack of profs. When you have to offer subsidized rent to lure the top 1% of the educated workforce who enjoy very high wages you know that the real estate market has warped the economy.

My nephew's 3 best friends have enrolled at first year post secondary in different schools in Vancouver but he says that all three are planning on leaving the province after graduation due to their inability to ever get a place of their own.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 4:55 PM

Nice to see Windsor doing better, moving up to 17th spot from 25th spot! We are at our lowest level in 8 years, at 7.8% unemployment.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada