HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
those are great pics -- yeah, i saw the new deep ellum station up close. looks good.

is the construction moving along on-time or are there delays? what's the projected start date?
Service to the first 4 stations starts Monday. Tomorrow is kind of the "grand opening" assuming the weather holds out (which it doesn't look like it will).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 2:54 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Dallas is in need of new light rail trains. I have never liked those currently in use.

These would look perfect in Dallas.

DART and Dallas are looking at running 40 mph maximum speed streetcars in downtown Dallas and Oak Cliff soon. But we love our 65 mph DART Kinkisharyo light rail trains. Just the fact they can go 25 mph faster than the tram you posted saves a good 20 to 25 minutes between Plano and downtown Dallas (Red line). DFW Airport (Orange line), Rowlett (Blue line) and Carrollton (Green lines) will see the same time savings.....
It already takes around 3/4 of an hour to ride from Plano to downtown Dallas. Fewer passengers would take the train if the time increased significantly to over an hour.
DART rail schedules
http://www.dart.org/about/servicecha...een14sep09.pdf

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 6:48 AM
Administrator

^Would they ever actually hit 40mph in downtown? It almost seems like you would want the quickest, smoothest acceleration and braking you could find.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^Would they ever actually hit 40mph in downtown? It almost seems like you would want the quickest, smoothest acceleration and braking you could find.
Not in Downtown Dallas they wouldn't... not even close.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 7:02 AM

Found these over at the Dallas Metropolis board. The Fair Park and Baylor stations are my favorites...

Fair Park Station

Baylor Station

www.dart.org

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 1:45 PM

Lightbulb

Beautiful photos.

Grand Opening for the four new train stations is today!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 7:28 PM

I was going to head down there this morning, but it hasn't stopped pouring since yesterday.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Dallas is in need of new light rail trains. I have never liked those currently in use.

These would look perfect in Dallas.
The picture you posted is of a tram, or streetcar. Dallas uses light rail TRAINS.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 8:12 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I'm no transit expert but I've noticed trains last a very long time. In Atlanta they just refurbished the trains that date from the 1970s. And they look perfectly modern.

Dallas is probably good for 25 years at least.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 10:29 PM

Wow. The redevelopment of the area east of North Park is looking fantastic. I can't wait to ride the train when I'm in Dallas next month. I'm making a special trip to the State Fair.

I think the Dallas Kinkishyro cars look great.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm the bear on the right

How much of the capital budget is allocated to Public Art? The thumbprint is very cool.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:18 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
How much of the capital budget is allocated to Public Art? The thumbprint is very cool.
For Public Art, that varies. All Federal government funds provided to transit agencies must designate 5% for amenities. That includes art, shelters, fences, landscaping, sidewalks, etc. Something more than just the trains, tracks, and station platforms.

At DART, at least $50,000 is budgeted for extra amenities at every station (above standard station features), which can be use for art or other things.....

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:42 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Thanks for the info. For Calgary, the Public Art Policy states that 1% of the capital project's budget is dedicated to artwork if the project is over $1M. And that is for Art only. For our WestLRT project that is starting soon, it would be approx. $6M of the $600M budget.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 1:13 PM

Quote:
DART rolls in new era with Green Line opening
07:04 AM CDT on Monday, September 14, 2009
By MICHAEL A. LINDENBERGER / The Dallas Morning News

When the trains begin running today on the opening segment of DART's new Green Line, the transit agency will unveil the longest expansion of light rail in North America.

It triggers four years of growth that by 2013 will double daily rail riders and double the length of a DART rail network that has been 26 years in the making. And it finally will begin to deliver on an old promise to make Dallas Area Rapid Transit mean more than just a way for some downtown Dallas commuters to get to work and back.

The new stations that will open just ahead of the State Fair of Texas will attract fewer than 2,000 round-trip riders per day in the first couple of years – and they certainly won't end Dallas' dependence on the automobile.

But over the next 15 months, the four stations east of downtown will be followed by 16 more along the 28-mile Green Line, stringing communities together from as far north as Carrollton to as far south as Pleasant Grove.

And that's only a beginning: The $1.8 billion Green Line may be the longest light rail project on the continent, but it's just the vanguard for what will be four solid years of expansion.

By 2013, DART will have spent $3.3 billion in construction, adding service to Irving, Las Colinas and D/FW International Airport on the Orange Line. Downtown Rowlett and Lake Highlands will welcome new stations as well on the expanded Blue Line.

The flurry of activity has employed thousands of workers. Within four years it will result in a transit system that runs 48 trains through downtown Dallas every hour – already prompting more frequent red lights. That's 62 rail stations and about 90 miles of track.

"This is the largest light-rail construction project in America," DART president Gary Thomas said. "Nobody is doing what we are doing right now. That's exciting. It really is."

Paying the price

It also is expensive.

Residents of Dallas and 12 nearby cities – many of which are still waiting for rail service – have paid about $5 billion in local sales taxes toward DART since 1983, when voters agreed to raise local rates by a penny.

The opening of the Green Line has thrilled DART supporters and given new hope to neighborhoods where the trains are seen as the best bet for an economic lift.

Downtown Dallas resident Branden Helms said the rail line has changed his life. Three years ago, he moved downtown and quickly found that he and his wife no longer needed two cars.

"More and more, I was using the car less and less," said Helms, 29. "One day I went down to the car and there was a layer of dust on there."

But stories like Helms' remain lonely exceptions.

After 26 years of collecting taxes, and more than 12 years of running trains, DART's rail lines have had only limited impact on the daily commutes of most of the 2.4 million people who live within the agency's 13-city service area. The biggest impact has been felt along the Red Line, which DART says moves enough rail passengers during rush hours to fill more than a full lane of traffic on Central Expressway.

But for most DART city residents, the light rail has done little to change the way they get to work. The U.S. Census Bureau estimated in 2007 that in Dallas, only 24,045 of the 552,220 workers over age 16 – about 4.5 percent – used public transportation to get to work. By far, most of those used the bus, and some 409,256 others drove themselves to work alone in a vehicle. About 81,000 carpooled.

That's not a fair measure of DART's impact, transit officials say, insisting that its trains provide 60,000 one-way trips every day. DART officials hope daily ridership will double to about 130,000 trips by 2013.

But no matter how you measure DART's popularity, Mayor Tom Leppert said it is simply going to take more time, and more dollars, before DART realizes its full promise.

"This is clearly an important step," Leppert said of the Green Line. "But I stop short of saying that this is a magical point where all the sudden it is all there. It is part of the journey."

The journey toward a Dallas where residents could more easily manage without a car wasn't supposed to be quite so long.

A few bumps

When voters created DART in 1983, they thought they were getting 147 miles of rail. And as late as 1988, the agency was promising 93 miles of rail – and 57 stations along nine separate lines – by 2010.

But it was voters who slammed on the brakes that year. In Dallas and the 15 suburbs that were then part of DART, voters said no to a $1 billion bond package.

Experts said that DART's ambitions were simply too large.

"In postwar experience, only one system has been planned and built on the scale of Dallas, and that was Washington, D.C.," Kenneth Orski, a Washington-based consultant and former federal mass transit official, told The Dallas Morning News at the time. "All other rail systems – San Francisco, Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Sacramento, San Jose – all have been far more modest in scale. Dallas should try to come back with a more modest, scoped-down proposal."

DART took his advice, settling on a 20-mile starter line that would open in 1997.

Since then, DART has continued to add light rail, but slowly, totaling only about 45 miles on the eve of today's opening.

Still, Leppert said that progress shouldn't be taken for granted.

"You have to be realistic. In Dallas, we have an area that was already built out significantly by the time transit was developed," he said.

"You wish you could just wave a magic wand and build it and see the results overnight. But that doesn't happen."

Even with only two light-rail lines operating, some big changes have been made to some of Dallas' busiest neighborhoods.

When companies such as Comerica and AT&T moved downtown – along with thousands of residents in the past decade – they often cited proximity to rail as one factor.

It's a mistake, transportation experts say, to think that light rail – no matter how many billions are spent on it – can by itself change the fundamental character of a region as large as Dallas and its suburbs.

"Rail is one of the tools metro areas are using," said Robert Puentes, a transportation scholar at the Brookings Institution in Washington. "But transit investment by itself is not enough."

Instead, regions like North Texas must link transportation policies with housing, land-use and environmental initiatives, Puentes said.

Special tax districts

With those ideas in mind, Dallas last year created special taxing districts around existing and planned rail stations, all to attract high-density development that will boost property values and add jobs.

Other cities, too, are racing to make the most of light-rail stations, and developments similar to Mockingbird Station are under way in Richardson.

Carrollton has major plans to attract development near its new Green Line stations when they open in 2010. And by the time the Orange Line passes through Irving on its way to the airport by 2013, the city hopes to attract billions of dollars in development through a special taxing district larger than the central business district in downtown Dallas.

Optimism, patience

But those efforts won't change Dallas, or its suburbs, overnight. The Red Line has been open for 12 years, and few stops other than Mockingbird Station have attracted the kind of mixed-used development that planners say North Texas needs.

As the Green Line opens, Leppert said he's optimistic. But he concedes that even if the economy recovers, the new developments could take a decade to affect Dallas.

"You'll see signs of that within five years, and real progress within 10," he said.

Still, Puentes said Dallas has good company in pouring big dollars into transit in hopes of triggering changes that go beyond transportation. Portland, Denver and Salt Lake City are all betting big on transit, he said.

"It's never too late to start," he said.

Thomas, who has led DART since 2001, couldn't agree more. The Green Line, and all it represents, might have taken 26 years to get here, he said, but Dallas-area residents can be proud of what their sales tax dollars have bought.

And today, they'll get a taste of what they've been waiting for all these years.

"I am always asking people I run into, 'Do you use DART?' And sometimes they tell me, 'Gary, it just doesn't go where I need it to go.' I tell them that the system isn't complete yet. But the Green Line opening, well it really does start to give some meaning to the word 'system.' "
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.43d0b4e.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:07 PM

Great news for Dallas, I wish Houston would just build its expansion all ready.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
DART Green Line's arrival feted at State Fair
01:55 PM CDT on Friday, September 25, 2009
By MICHAEL LINDENBERGER and AVI SELK / The Dallas Morning News
mlindenberger@dallasnews.com; aselk@dallasnews.com

A DART light-rail car full of dignitaries, including Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert, pulled into Fair Park at 10 a.m. Friday amid fireworks and high expectations.

The arrival of the car coincided with the kickoff of the State Fair of Texas and marked the first train service to Fair Park in more than 50 years.

It represented a significant victory for DART, which has been promising for years to open the first four stations of its new $1.8 billion Green Line in time for the 2009 fair.

The trains will run every 10 minutes during peak hours and every 20 minutes at other times.

The Green Line stops at the new Fair Park Station, which is quite literally on the State Fair's front porch.

The VIP train, besides carrying a load of dignitaries, had two unexpected guests: Two women dressed as butterflies.

The women, Jessica Kincanon and Sarah Gardner, were sitting in the back of the car and were on their way to the Texas Discovery Gardens, where they work.

Sarah wasn't sure how she and her friend ended up on the VIP train.

"Anything can happen at the fair," she said.

Before the VIP train arrived, other fairgoers took advantage of DART's rail service to Fair Park.

Sisters Karen and Irene Johnston have been regulars at the State Fair since the 1950s.

They took the 9:10 train from Victory Station and arrived at the State Fair before it even opened.

Irene, who lives in Las Vegas, said she and her sister, a Fort Worth resident, were mostly excited about boys in their early fair-going years.

Now?

"What I really want to see are the pygmy goats," Irene Johnston said.

State Fair of Texas officials have previously said they are counting on availability of rail service to Fair Park to offset what would otherwise likely be lower than usual attendance, thanks to the lingering recession in Texas.

The fair runs through Oct. 18. Special rail service will be added on some special days, including for the Oct. 17 Texas-Oklahoma football game and for a soccer match between the national teams from Mexico and Colombia on Sept. 30.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1b50cdbbd.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 9:27 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I still don't get why, if using the similar equipment, SW2NE and Cotton belt couldn't share a platform at a DFW terminal station

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 11:34 PM
Robotic Construction

Will the orange Line eventually be extended from DFW International Airport, straight south down international Pkwy to North Lake College and on to the station at Trinity Railway Express?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:22 AM

In between DFW Airport and Las Colinas, there will be a North Lake College Station. I don't know exactly what you mean by south on International to North Lake.

As for getting to the TRE, at this time I have seen no plans to suggest that is under way or even being considered. At one time, the plan was to have the TRE head north to the terminal, but I believe those plans have been shuddered permanently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation