HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:13 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Seriously? U.S. and Russia off the podium?

This is awesome. Hockey is really starting to become a more global sport.

It wasn't that long ago, at the Olympics, Canada automatically went to the gold medal game. Only the other teams had to compete for the second spot.

Just shared this news with a friend who sighed and said, "Yeah... Finland won. Yesterday."

NHL'ers have been playing for 6 Olympics now. Canada failed to medal in two of them (33%) so I would hardly say we automatically make it to the gold medal game. But I will agree with your statement about hockey becoming more of a global sport, and that is a good thing.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Is that a serious question?

Someone on Twitter had a #FuckCanada post after the game and thousands of Canadians of course believed that all of America was so distraught about a sport that they don't care about. As expected, a storm of self-righteous posts ensued chasing after this ghost.

I can only imagine what would've happened had the U.S. won
I'm sure it would have been ugly...

But then, international hockey competitions are a bit interesting in Canada given that we're the only country to get genuinely whipped up for them. I mean, I'm sure people in the US, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, etc. follow their national team and get into it, but no one matches our level of obsession... in that sense, every Team Canada rivalry is one-sided.

It is a little weird how the 2010 gold medal game is a massive "where were you when" moment in Canada while hardly anyone in the US really noticed or cared.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:47 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is a little weird how the 2010 gold medal game is a massive "where were you when" moment in Canada while hardly anyone in the US really noticed or cared.
Not sure I see it as being "weird" any more than any other cultural difference between different countries. Unless of course you're referring to the clichéd SSP meme that Canada has no cultural outside of Quebec and NFLD, in which case it might seem pretty weird to discover that yes, there are in fact things that Canada cares about that other countries don't and vice-versa...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
The goalscorers in the game yesterday were Toews, Crosby and Kunitz.
Kunitz is from Regina, I think that is who Prairie Girl ment instead of Marleau.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Not sure I see it as being "weird" any more than any other cultural difference between different countries. Unless of course you're referring to the clichéd SSP meme that Canada has no cultural outside of Quebec and NFLD, in which case it might seem pretty weird to discover that yes, there are in fact things that Canada cares about that other countries don't and vice-versa...
It doesn't strike me as weird... in fact, I'd go the opposite way and say there are many things about this country that Canadians should embrace regardless of whether or not other people care.

It's just that for some reason, Canadians by and large seem to think that hockey is immune to this. When you get outside of Canada and the northernmost states, the Calgary Flames, Ottawa Senators and the like might as well be the Val D'Or Foreurs and the Humboldt Broncos given their obscurity.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They are pretty good sports. I wonder if Canadians would be as good sports if the shoe was on the other foot?
Canadians or the Canadian government? I'm pretty sure that it's the Secretary of State's job to be "a pretty good sport" to allied countries.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Kunitz is from Regina, I think that is who Prairie Girl ment instead of Marleau.
Jonathan Toews is now the unofficial King of Winnipeg (or St. Vital at least)!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 4:55 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They are pretty good sports. I wonder if Canadians would be as good sports if the shoe was on the other foot?
Except for NHL fans I find Canadians display good sportsmanship. The worst I've seen is Brazil.... by a long shot. At the Rio Pan American Games they actually booed non-Brazilian athletes accepting their medals. Things got so bad that the government had to plead with people to be gracious and supportive of all the athletes.

They thought the typical nastiness displayed at soccer matches was appropriate. You work your whole life to accomplish something in your sport. When you're honoured by your sport, people boo and hiss? It was really shameful.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
goal does have another meaning (though I admit most right now wouldn't think of it):

Quote:
PATRICK MARLEAU: The 3-0 gold medal victory over Sweden, as well as the entire Olympic tournament, had to be a terrifically satisfying experience for Marleau. Last summer, he was so far off Team Canada's radar that he wasn't even among the 47 players invited to the group's preseason orientation camp. But after earning a roster spot with his hard work for the Sharks during the first part of the NHL season, Marleau wound up playing a key role in Sochi.

His selection was said to be influenced greatly by coach Mike Babcock's preference for speed and puck control. Marleau, Jonathan Toews and Jeff Carter were Canada's most consistently effective forward line from the quarterfinals onward, using their swiftness better than any other line to forecheck on the big ice surface. Marleau finished the Olympics with four points (all assists) and a shiny gold medal around his neck. He beamed as he sang Canada's national anthem at the medal ceremony. "Yeah, I sang," he said. "You can't not sing." Marleau now owns two gold medals, including the one from Vancouver in 2010
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...-golden-smiles

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:32 PM
Urban Fanactic

Got to see a gold medal up close last night. It has a very different design but it was still nice to be able to hold it. This was the second time I got to meet the Jacobs team and they are really nice guys, the first was at an Appleby's in Sault Michigan shortly after they won the Brier.

Here's a picture from the Sault Airport.

Source: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=69180

Last edited by Dwils01; Feb 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 PM
BANNED

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada