HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 10:00 PM

I think the heights compared to Infinity create too much of a table top effect. I would prefer something more staggered:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...216d27cd00fc5c

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That concerns me as well, and really has since these were first proposed many years ago. I wish they could take several floors off the shorter one and add them to the taller one to create a bigger difference with Infinity's towers. On the bright side, one of those renderings shows solid retail along Folsom, which I expected, but still happy to see.

There's something else off about that rendering. Look at the shadows. Apparently, by the time these are built the Earth will have shifted sufficiently on its axis for the sun to hit them from due north. So we have that to look forward to.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
There's something else off about that rendering. Look at the shadows. Apparently, by the time these are built the Earth will have shifted sufficiently on its axis for the sun to hit them from due north. So we have that to look forward to.
Continental drift is another possibility.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:53 AM

The new design is swell but looks a little too much like Infinity now. I really like what they've done with the smaller buildings near the earth though. Sweet.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:31 PM

The more I see these renderings, and how they fit with Infinity, the less excited I get. It's not that I think they are bad, I am just not that excited about them, oh well. Hopefully they look better in the flesh.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Continental drift is another possibility.
Ha! Didn't think of that one, yet it's more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
The more I see these renderings, and how they fit with Infinity, the less excited I get. It's not that I think they are bad, I am just not that excited about them, oh well. Hopefully they look better in the flesh.
For me, it's the color. I'm worried about the almost identical heights, but reviewing renderings of the area as planned, I'm realizing it won't be much of an issue once the rest of Rincon Hill is built out because there will be several other peaks in the area.

But the color is not working for me next to Infinity for some reason. It's too similar. I think it would look better with more contrast between them, rather than going for something too complementary (if that makes sense). Could just be the renderings. I'm hoping it comes off more silver than blue-green. I think that would help.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Ha! Didn't think of that one, yet it's more likely.

For me, it's the color. I'm worried about the almost identical heights, but reviewing renderings of the area as planned, I'm realizing it won't be much of an issue once the rest of Rincon Hill is built out because there will be several other peaks in the area.

But the color is not working for me next to Infinity for some reason. It's too similar. I think it would look better with more contrast between them, rather than going for something too complementary (if that makes sense). Could just be the renderings. I'm hoping it comes off more silver than blue-green. I think that would help.
Agreed, the color is a big part of the problem. I am pretty sure these will look better in person, the renderings are just getting worse the more I look at them though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Agreed, the color is a big part of the problem. I am pretty sure these will look better in person, the renderings are just getting worse the more I look at them though.
If you look at that last rendering though, The Infinity is really a much darker green, so if these are a lighter color I think there will be some good contrast.

You can't complain too much considering how much better these are than the old design.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 8:41 PM
Only Mostly Dead

According to SocketSite, Tishman has filed for their construction permits. That's a good sign that these could start relatively soon (within a year).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:32 AM

Latest update from SocketSite:

Quote:
Upon issuance of those permits, [Tishman] intends to commence construction immediately.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
Latest update from SocketSite:
Great news!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 10:54 PM

I hope this means we'll see some dirt moving soon.

Quote:
Tishman Speyer and China Vanke Join Forces to Develop Luxury Residential Tower

World’s Largest Developer Chooses Tishman Speyer to be Its First North American Partner

San Francisco, Calif. – (February 18, 2013) – Tishman Speyer and China Vanke Co., Ltd. today announced that they have formed a joint venture to develop a premier high rise residential condominium project at 201 Folsom Street in San Francisco. The planned development, which will be managed by Tishman Speyer, represents the first North American investment for China Vanke, the world’s largest real estate developer.

Financial terms of the joint venture were not disclosed.

The joint venture agreement was completed at a formal signing ceremony held on February 13 in San Francisco. China Vanke Chairman Shi Wang was joined by the company’s Strategy and Investment team, while Tishman Speyer was represented by President and Co-CEO Rob Speyer, along with executives in charge of the firm’s China and San Francisco offices.

The project will consist of two connected residential towers – 37 and 42 stories high – with a total of 655 residences. The site is located across the street from The Infinity, a pair of residential towers that also were developed by Tishman Speyer. The Infinity’s residences commanded prices ranging from $600,000 to $6 million, and it was believed to be the fastest selling project in the United States in 2009.

For Tishman Speyer, the new project will enhance its standing as one of the leading developers and owners of iconic sustainable properties in San Francisco, which is one of the best performing residential and commercial real estate markets in the United States. In 2012, the firm broke ground on its Foundry Square III office project, and is finalizing preparations to build an office tower at 222 Second. In addition to The Infinity, Tishman Speyer previously developed the 555 Mission Street office building, and its current local holdings include 650 California Street, One Bush Street and 595 Market Street.
Article and Source: http://news.theregistrysf.com/tishma...dential-tower/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 3:22 AM

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 7:46 PM

Looks like they're planning on starting construction in March:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...tart_next.html

The city is gong to be a sea of cranes over the next couple years.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:03 AM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 6:45 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Looks like they're planning on starting construction in March:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...tart_next.html
well, they didn't quite make March, but according to 1977's always thorough research, this looks to be still just around the corner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
According to SFGOV, 201 Folsom was issued a building permit on 3/20/13. I know Tishman Speyer said they were going to proceed as soon as they received their permit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 5:24 AM

socketsite concurs with '77

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:46 AM

here's a 'before' shot of the site. hopefully 'right before'

(looking southwest. bonus cranes for 333 Fremont and ORH2 in the background)

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:25 PM
She needs her space

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Quote:

While the building permits for 201 Folsom haven’t yet been issued, they’re getting closer. And as a tipster captures, they've begun demolition of the outdoor steps that provided sidewalk access to the old post office at 390 Main Street in order to install new access barriers, corridors and a ramp in preparation for the construction of 201 Folsom to begin.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:01 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Permits For Tishman's 201 Folsom Street Towers Project Issued

As we first reported last month, while Tishman Speyer was still waiting for final sign-off on the permits to start construction on their 201 Folsom Street Project, according to a plugged-in source, the timing was imminent.

Yesterday, building permits for the two towers, two 8-story midrises, and a podium building to rise on the site pictured above were approved and issued. While now waiting for sign-off on the permit to commence excavation and shoring, the building(s) should soon begin.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...he_buildi.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive