HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:08 AM
National Capital Region

Obama Visits Ottawa

Should be pretty crazy on Thursday! IIRC Bush took Airport Parkway, not Colonel By

Quote:
Security swings into high gear for Obama visit

By Andrew Mayeda, Canwest News ServiceFebruary 17, 2009

U.S. Secret Service members will have been in Ottawa for more than a week overseeing security arrangements by the time U.S. President Barack Obama arrives on Thursday. Officially, the security arrangements are worked out in co-operation with the RCMP and Ottawa police, but there is no doubt that the Secret Service is the agency in control.

Photograph by: Mike Carroccetto, The Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA — It will begin literally with an opening of the skies: the clearing of the airspace above Ottawa to prepare for his arrival.

At approximately 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Air Force One will alight at the nondescript hangar at Ottawa International Airport reserved for visiting dignitaries. Minutes later, the U.S. president, whose pop-culture celebrity has inspired T-shirt logos and happy-hour cocktails, will step onto the red-carpeted ramp and into a security bubble built and maintained with the precision planning of a military exercise.

Preparations for Mr. Obama's visit swung into action weeks ago, when a "pre-advance" team of Secret Service agents and White House staff slipped into the capital to case out the route for the presidential motorcade, conduct security sweeps of meeting sites, and cull intelligence from Canadian law-enforcement agencies on any terrorist threats or assassination plots.

"To see what goes into the preparations, and see how many stakeholders are involved, it's something the public doesn't really understand," said Norm Jarvis, a former Secret Service agent who served under four presidents.

By Thursday, a larger advance team will have been on the ground more than a week, refining the security plan down to the movements of individual vehicles and agents, setting up communications and checking camera angles.

Officially, the Prime Minister's Office and the White House jointly plan the visit, with the RCMP and the Secret Service co-ordinating security. In practice, U.S. officials don't hesitate to throw around their weight. Ahead of Ronald Reagan's visit to Ottawa in 1987, U.S. officials even carried out a security sweep of 24 Sussex Drive and edited out satirical elements from high-school skits to be performed for Nancy Reagan.

"The distinction really comes down to how much more produced the event is," said Scott Reid, who was director of communications under Paul Martin.

When George W. Bush visited Halifax in 2004, White House officials built a
hand-painted mural commemorating the history of U.S.-Canada relations because they weren't satisfied with the existing backdrop, Mr. Reid recalled.

"They didn't impose on us. They were respectful of our standards," he said.

"But it is clear from the questions they asked and the approach they took that they have much greater control over their media than we do here in Canada."

Ottawa residents will feel some of the ripples. Transport Canada has announced that airspace restrictions will be in effect from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., while airport officials have warned commercial travellers to check regularly for delays and cancellations.

Those hoping for a live glimpse of the president, who is even more popular here than in the U.S., are likely to be disappointed. Mr. Obama, who will not be joined by his wife, Michelle, or their two daughters, will not address Parliament or give any public speeches during the seven-hour "working" visit.

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean is expected to greet the president on the tarmac. As vice-regal representative of the Queen, Ms. Jean would have been the official host on a formal "state" visit. Former governor general Jeanne Sauvé is believed to have been miffed at being relegated to the sidelines during Mr. Reagan's working visit to Quebec City in 1985, forever remembered for the sight of him and Brian Mulroney crooning When Irish Eyes are Smiling.

After meeting Ms. Jean, Mr. Obama will climb into a massive black limo that has been airlifted across the border. Nicknamed "The Beast," the custom-built Cadillac is said to boast armour eight-inches thick, bulletproof glass and a sealed interior to shield the president from chemical weapons.

Besides the ubiquitous agents in black overcoats and ear pieces, Mr. Obama's entourage is expected to include senior advisers, State Department officials, the president's medical staff and travelling chef, plus military officers tasked with carrying the "nuclear football," a suitcase that contains codes for launching a nuclear attack.

Mr. Obama's motorcade will wend its way to Parliament Hill, likely on Colonel By Drive along the Rideau Canal, although security officials will be ready to change routes at a moment's notice. Ottawa police have warned of sudden road closings, and have "encouraged" businesses to secure or remove trash cans, newspaper boxes, bicycle racks and street furniture.

Several groups are planning protests, including environmentalists who want to draw U.S. attention to the Alberta oilsands. So far, the RCMP has indicated the public will be free to gather on the Centre Block lawn.

However, snipers will likely be positioned on the roof of Parliament Hill buildings, and plainclothes officers will surely be milling among the crowd.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper will greet Mr. Obama in the rotunda of the Centre Block. They will meet in the prime minister's third-floor office and have lunch in the dining room of the Senate speaker before holding a joint news conference.

The leaders should hold substantive preliminary discussions on the economy and other issues, but will likely steer clear of cross-border irritants such as Omar Khadr, the Canadian imprisoned in the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, said Eddie Goldenberg, a former senior adviser to Jean Chrétien.

"As with any two individuals, the first meeting is a get-to-know-you," Mr. Goldenberg said. "Remember, it's very early days for the American administration. They don't even have all their people in place yet."

The public has been banned from the Centre Block Wednesday and Thursday. MPs will still have access, but parliamentary staff and journalists have been asked to get special accreditation, a process that includes RCMP background checks.

Anyone entering the Centre Block will have to go through a side entrance and pass through metal detectors.

A small army of White House correspondents will accompany the president to Ottawa on a media charter. There will be only four questions at the news conference: two by Canadian journalists and two by the Americans, who will not be overly preoccupied with the nuances of Canada-U.S. relations.

Mr. Obama will meet briefly with Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff before flying back to Washington.

It could be years before the true nature of the chemistry between Mr. Harper and Mr. Obama breaks through the sunny haze of the official statements put out by their offices. As Lawrence Martin documented in The Presidents and the Prime Ministers, it took a decade before many details emerged about the 1965 visit to Camp David by Lester Pearson, during which a furious Lyndon Johnson grabbed the prime minister by the collar and berated him for criticizing the Vietnam War.

The media tend to overstate the importance of the personal dynamic between prime ministers and presidents, Mr. Goldenberg said. Nevertheless, the personal dimension can play a significant role in shaping bilateral relations, he added, and it is not a foregone conclusion that Mr. Harper, the taciturn Conservative, will not get along with Mr. Obama, the silky-smooth Democrat.

"I think people are greatly overestimating the fact they have different ideological views," Mr. Goldenberg said, "because those views won't affect the relationship."
- - -
For live coverage of Barack Obama's visit to Ottawa, including blogs and video, go to ottawacitizen.com

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 11:57 AM
Still optimistic

God, I wish I could skip school and just get a glimpse...

Oh well, atleast I was at the inauguration!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:06 PM
Mooderator

^ Good luck getting anywhere near the guy! The best bet is to camp out on the lawn of Parliament Hill.. you might see him leave his limo.

They were already shutting down Sparks this morning.

you were at the inauguration? cool.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:27 PM

Did you get any pics of the inauguration? Must have been a pretty impressive sight with all those people gathered at once. I PVR'd his speech and there are some pretty spectacular shots of DC.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:40 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Should be pretty crazy on Thursday! IIRC Bush took Airport Parkway, not Colonel By
Yes, but the Airport Parkway does not extend all the way to Parliament Hill. Which means the convoy would have to take either Colonel By, Bronson (Yea right), or the tranistway to get to the hill. I bet he will take Colonel By (via the Airport Parkway until Hogs Back), much more scenic.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:59 PM
Mooderator

One way to check - go try to pull some manhole covers off Colonel By.

actually, no.. they probably welded everything shut on multiple routes... and there might even be two motorcades..

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:01 PM
National Capital Region

I guess he will have a nice view of the canal and Parliament buildings

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:33 PM
National Capital Region

Obama visit survival guide

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 | 11:32 AM ET Comments13Recommend9

CBC News

Ottawa residents have been told they won't get a chance to see Barack Obama during his visit, but they'll still spot some road closures and flight delays. (CBC)Here's what you need to know about getting around Ottawa Thursday during the presidential visit.
When he's here:
Air Force One should arrive in the capital with U.S. President Barack Obama around 10:30 a.m.
Obama will be in Ottawa approximately six hours.
Flight delays:
The airport authority is asking travellers to call their airlines 24 hours in advance to find out about possible delays.
During Obama's arrival and departure, the air space over Ottawa will be closed.
Road closures:
There will be temporary road closures and traffic and transit detours beginning around 7:30 a.m. Known road closures include:
  • Wellington Street between Lyon and Rideau streets.
  • Elgin Street (northbound) between Laurier Avenue and Wellington Street.
  • Elgin Street (southbound) between Wellington Street and Queen Street.
  • Colonel By Drive between Main and Wellington streets.
  • MacKenzie Avenue between St. Patrick and Wellington streets.
  • Sussex Drive between George and Rideau streets.
  • Daly Avenue between Nicholas Street and Colonel By Drive.
Best chance for an Obama sighting:
  • Parliament Hill
For more information, contact the City of Ottawa at 311.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:08 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 10:38 PM

There is a media frenzy around his visit to Canada. He's all over the Canadian news today, with his every move recorded. Everybody was all psyched up and cheering, this Beavertail girl almost fainted. After standing back and look at all of this, I have to ask "what is the big deal?" He is not the first US President to visit. Why is he so special? Is it because he is the first black American President? Is it because of the timing, that we're in a global economic crisis?

I am not being negative, just curious as to why it is. Because I am a bit caught up into it as well, thanks to the media. But I can't put my finger on it as to why. I think maybe it's because he's more of a celebrity than a politician. Or because he came in a time of turmoil, when people around the world are looking for a saviour. Or because he came out of nowhere on the presidential campaign and was victorious.

Is that it?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 10:44 PM
Busy Beaver

I predict every store in the ByWard Market is going to stock snow globes from now on.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
There is a media frenzy around his visit to Canada. He's all over the Canadian news today, with his every move recorded. Everybody was all psyched up and cheering, this Beavertail girl almost fainted. After standing back and look at all of this, I have to ask "what is the big deal?"
When the clock struck 11:30 a.m., the crowd cheered. They also cheered a passing security van. I agree that it seemed more like a celebrity thing than a political thing. I don't get what the big deal is either, but hell, I was there too.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 12:07 AM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 12:13 AM

The TV image I'll remember from today is the shot of Parliament Hill as Obama's motorcade was leaving and most of the watching crowd dispersed quickly and sprinted towards Wellington Street to get one more glimpse.

I love motorcades... they're just so cool and emanate power. Imagine skating on the Rideau and looking up to see a train of limos and police cars flying down Colonel By. I want a motorcade someday!

What do they cart Harper around in, a few Dodge Caravans?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Why is he so special?
I'm partially caught up in the hype too, and I think thats OK. You mentioned a lot of somewhat superficial reasons other people may have, but for me its a pairing of an unwavering positive attitude coupled with the fact that I feel the guy gets it. Specifically on the second point, I feel that first of all he has a grasp of the issues thats coming from reality. That sounds frighting that its non-standard for politicians to not be in touch with reality. Bush was a freggin disaster in this respect and his administration would just try and talk around things that were staring them and everyone else right in the face. You see some of the same out of many Canadian parties where they just appear to either totally not understand the issue or are just trying to skirt around it in some political fashion that fools absolutely nobody and just makes them look inept. Differences, even radical ones, on how to approach issues is tolerable, but totally not understanding the problem, trying to talk away its existence, or intentionally avoiding it for some short term gain shouldn't be. Obama seems to take this understanding, pair it with investigation, research and skilled people and take a extremely positive future looking gaze at the solutions that aren't just short term oriented. And he does it with a bit of style too

Essentially he rekindles the spirit that as a species we have the potential to do great, big things and that should motivate us.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 3:33 AM
Still optimistic

I feel bad for Harper...
Having to be compared to Barrack Obama!

We look like a saaad country.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 4:09 AM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I predict every store in the ByWard Market is going to stock snow globes from now on.
Next week I'm going into the bakery and I am going to tell them that I am also there to pick up maple leaf cookies... but that they are for my children and therefore I do not have to pay.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
Next week I'm going into the bakery and I am going to tell them that I am also there to pick up maple leaf cookies... but that they are for my children and therefore I do not have to pay.
Cute

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:05 AM

Quote:
There is a media frenzy around his visit to Canada. He's all over the Canadian news today, with his every move recorded. Everybody was all psyched up and cheering, this Beavertail girl almost fainted. After standing back and look at all of this, I have to ask "what is the big deal?" He is not the first US President to visit. Why is he so special? Is it because he is the first black American President? Is it because of the timing, that we're in a global economic crisis?

I am not being negative, just curious as to why it is. Because I am a bit caught up into it as well, thanks to the media. But I can't put my finger on it as to why. I think maybe it's because he's more of a celebrity than a politician. Or because he came in a time of turmoil, when people around the world are looking for a saviour. Or because he came out of nowhere on the presidential campaign and was victorious.

Is that it?
There is something about the guy............he is more celebrity then politician. Could be any of those thing that you mentioned or all combined together. But most of all, everyone including me is relived that G. W. Bush is gone

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 6:12 AM

With the same haircut and the same big ears as Will Smith, how could you not like this guy? He seems to have so many likeable qualities just like the aforementioned celebrity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion