HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Canada Day in London

Hey everyone, I was wondering what I should do for Canada Day in London. Specifically, where is the best fireworks show held? All input is appreciated- this thread can probably even help people looking through Google in future, so feel free to post anything Canada Day related!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 2:56 PM
User Registered

I think fireworks are being launched near the Forks of the Thames (Harris Park) and if not City Hall (Victoria Park). Check the city website to confirm?

I always like going to Niagara Falls for Canada Day. Toronto's always too crowded.

Windsor would be a nice place too but they did their fireworks show last night... not sure why they don't do any on Canada Day (or US Independence Day).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 4:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Usually at the Forks. Not half bad, but get there early to reserve a good vantage point. Some cake at the forks during afternoon, with face painting for kids, etc.

I plan on taking the kids.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I think fireworks are being launched near the Forks of the Thames (Harris Park) and if not City Hall (Victoria Park). Check the city website to confirm?

I always like going to Niagara Falls for Canada Day. Toronto's always too crowded.

Windsor would be a nice place too but they did their fireworks show last night... not sure why they don't do any on Canada Day (or US Independence Day).

Can't have them on July 4th or Canadians will feel slighted and can't have them on July 1st because Americans will feel slighted. June has always been a good compromise. But yeah, everyone should see them at least once - it's the biggest fireworks show in North America.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 4:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^does Detroit avoid fireworks on July 4th?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 4:22 PM

The fireworks are held over the Detroit River on the last Monday in June...and that's it. There's no point in having any fireworks at any date afterward because they just wouldn't compare to that display.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 5:18 PM
User Registered

Niagara Falls does em July 1 and 4... and smaller displays on the days in between.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 4:05 AM

Some of Detroit's suburbs will have displays on July 4th, but not the city. The fireworks draw over 1 million people to the riverfront...it's the biggest annual event in town. I'm glad we get Detroit tv affiliates in London so at least I was able to watch them on tv.

I went to London's fireworks at the Forks last year but after being spoiled for years watching the ones over the Detroit River, I guess I couldn't help but leave disappointed.

Anyhow, I heard there's some stuff going on along Dundas Street and free cake is always good.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:57 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Alright, thanks for the information everyone! Canada Day in London ought to be fun this year. May consider going to Windsor or Niagara falls in future, but both are kind of a long haul.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 3:20 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Alright, thanks for the information everyone! Canada Day in London ought to be fun this year. May consider going to Windsor or Niagara falls in future, but both are kind of a long haul.
If you consider a two-hour-ish drive a long haul....

Niagara Falls is definitely worth watching, and so is Windsor's show but it's on a worknight...

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 2:07 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Gonna go for delayed (july 2) fireworks in Liver & Onions (Hyde Park), so I don't have to drive.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 3:38 AM

I went to Port Stanley to catch the fireworks there on the beach. First time to take in that display, and I have to say, it was pretty good for a small village. I took some photos, that you can see in this Facebook photo album:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=dad2cf28c1

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Absolutely wicked thunderstorm last night almost wiped out the Liver&Onions fireworks (July 2), but somehow they went on at 10pm. Caught them from my front stoop, as we had fled the storm 2 hours before.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 2:31 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
If you consider a two-hour-ish drive a long haul....
When you're paying $1.32 a litre for fuel on slave wages, every trip longer than 30 minutes is a long haul.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation