HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:11 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

1:2000 3D Printed Skyscrapers

Awhile back, I embarked on a project to 3d print Philadelphia which eventually turned into other skyscrapers from around the world. Lately, I've been adding some of the world's tallest and will probably keep doing so for the next few months, at least. I'm happy to take suggestions for others as well!

For starters, here's a link to my Shapeways shop containing the skyscrapers I've already completed. The first ten, as of this post, are from all around the world while the remaining models are all in Philly.

I actually started by building full blocks of Philly containing all ground details, planters, etc but wanted to separate the individual buildings from each block to make them available to print on their own as well.

As of now, i haven't actually printed any of them as I don't have the funds to allocate to the project just yet but I will be doing so in the future and I wanted to make them available to anyone else that wanted.

And then here are some screen grabs directly from Solidworks to show off some of the finer details of some of the structures.

Burj Khalifa in Dubai, UAE

CN Tower in Toronto, Canada

Taipei 101 in Taipei, Taiwan

International Commerce Center in West Kowloon, Hong Kong, China

Willis Tower in Chicago, IL, United States

Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Empire State Building in New York, NY, United States

I also did 432 Park Ave and One World Trade Center in New York, NY and Shanghai Tower in Shanghai, China but haven't taken screen grabs of those yet. You can visit the Flickr! photo album containing all of them here.

Each model has a 2mm thick base to stand on and to support smaller details like columns. I've included as much detail as possible that I'm confident will show up in the 3d print of each and any structure over 400m tall has been separated in two or more parts with lip/groove joints to allow them to be printable in materials with smaller build volumes but still be able to be easily assembled. Some models contain details as small as .075mm which will be more suggestive in the final print but I thought 1:2000 was a good scale to allow details but also not break the bank on the cost to print. All models have been hollowed to a 1mm shell to cut back on material costs.

I'd love to get some feedback, as well as suggestions for future models!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Mar 22, 2018 at 5:47 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art