HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:03 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:25 PM

I'm confused. Any reason old renders are being re-pasted?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I'm confused. Any reason old renders are being re-pasted?
Had no idea that was an old render. It was just posted on the Civic Plaza Facebook page this January.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:56 PM

Oh. Well then I should ask them on their facebook then. No worries. I think it was posted on their web site about a year ago now hehe.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 9:50 PM

Just got this in my email...

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in 3 Civic Plaza. The sales success we have enjoyed in the past few months has enabled us to proudly start construction.

As we move in to our construction phase, please note the Presentation Centre will be closed as of January 23rd for a number of weeks. During this time we will be upgrading our exhibits and preparing two new features including full scale models of the hotel suites complete with pass card entry.

Once these upgrades are completed our detailed website will re-launch and we will resume operations at the Presentation Centre. Of course, we will be sure to invite you to a sneak preview of The Autograph Collection by Marriott International.

Sincerely,

Sammy

Fifth Avenue Real Estate Marketing Ltd.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Presentation Centre Reopening March 2014

Century Group and Surrey City Development Corporation are proud to announce that 3 Civic Plaza is officially moving forward with construction. Thank you to our purchasers and everyone who supported us during the pre-construction sales period.

Get ready for our re-opening event in March 2014!

Marriott International are working with us on revisions to our presentation centre and new displays that reflect the details of the rooms in the Civic Hotel.

You spoke, we listened, check out our new 3 bedroom floor plan this spring.
From the Facebook page

Quote:
High-rise residential tower and hotel, to be completed end of 2015 or early 2016.
Design: Cotter Architects.
From the website

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 8:31 AM

I think end of 2015 is ambitious but then again they don't really have to dig or anything as City Hall already took care of all of that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 11:27 PM

From the Journal of Commerce:

Quote:
January 27, 2014

ZGF Architects open Vancouver office with Cotter Architects

U.S.-based ZGF Architects and Vancouver-based Cotter Architects have joined together to form ZGF Cotter Architects Inc.

The new firm will go forward under the leadership of Principal Patrick Cotter, Architect AIBC, with ZGF Partners Jan Willemse, AIA and Allyn Stellmacher, AIA, and Operations Director Bonnie Cotter.

The Canadian office is in addition to ZGF’s five existing offices in Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and New York.

The two firms have previously collaborated on a number of projects, including the 52-storey 3 Civic Plaza mixed-use residential, hotel, office and retail project in Surrey, BC.
http://www.joconl.com/article/id5877...ter-architects

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Other sources stating the tower is 52 stories

The Now

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/photo...uggle-1.654090

Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/off...532/story.html

Buzz Buzz Home

http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/3-civic-plaza

Cotter Architects

http://www.zgfcotter.com/about/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 7:42 AM

If you say the wrong thing many times, does it become fact?

Unless there is a report to City Council that is missing on the Surrey web site and didn't go in front of them, the final word at Final Adoption was in January 28, 2013, Corporate Report LU002 which stated and I quote:

Quote:
As a result of these revisions, the northerly tower has increased in height from 45 storeys to 48 storeys, or from 158 metres (518 ft.) to 164 metres (538 ft.), measured from ground level to the top of the mechanical penthouse.
So unless they magically slid in a few floors, or the difference in numbering is simply due to them ignoring a few floors like 13 for example, I'd say we're looking (regardless of floors) at 164 metres in height.

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci..._2013-L002.pdf

That's the report. Maybe they measure "storeys" differently in planning and corporate reports than in the media. I don't know. At the end I don't actually care if a building is 10 or 90 storeys, I care about the height for this type of thing. 164m is the magic number.

If you look at the drawing at the end of the report last page and do a quick count:

3 base floors
+5 office
+1 mechanical
+36 apartment residential floors
+2 townhouse floors
+1 mechanical
= 48 floors

It can be noted maybe that the office and base floors are higher than the residential and hotel floors. AKA in the span of 5 office and 1 mechanical (6 floors) on the residential side, on the hotel side you have 9 hotel floors in that same height.

I'm inclined to believe 48 floors, 164m. Still going to be nearly 50 feet taller than One Wall Center which I think is still impressive in the region given current building heights and location.

Last edited by GMasterAres; Jan 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:35 PM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:27 AM

So all that work and concrete is just for the plaza itself and the underground parking, right? So they still need to dig a hole for 3 Civic Plaza?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:46 PM

they really need to do something about that shed they call a station

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:42 PM

That's the second thing I thought. First was the hideous building that looks like its attached to the station. What is that? When is that coming down ?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:00 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
That's the second thing I thought. First was the hideous building that looks like its attached to the station. What is that? When is that coming down ?
Isn't that the old library? Or community centre? Either way, if its any of those structures, I would think they would be redundant and will be torn down. Their replacements are far more prettier.

As for the station, I'd rather that they extend the Skytrain further into Surrey or move forward with their proposed LRT lines than worrying about aesthetics on a station that, at the end of the day, still functions and is usable. Only after rapid transit has been expanded further South of Fraser should we worry about spending money to make it pretty....

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:27 PM

I'm out at Surrey Central a lot lately. It's nice to see the area coming along, and I sure hope as the new city hall becomes occupied it will help the area out. It's still pretty sketchy in the evenings, and there are a lot of "characters" throughout the mall and the surrounding area.

The plaza in the picture looks like it will be great in person. Civic 3 has an incredibly small footprint though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they really need to do something about that shed they call a station
Haha, shed is indeed the word coming to mind.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:45 PM

Surrey Central is the last station in the Expo Line station upgrade project, supposedly done in 2016.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Surrey Central is the last station in the Expo Line station upgrade project, supposedly done in 2016.
Wow.. perhaps Translink should move that up on the schedule. As it stands now Dianne Watts will be looking at that crapshack from her office window every day. Not the best thing for Surrey-Translink relations.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 9:49 PM

Not the old library. That entire building you see "attached" to the skytrain station (as it isn't attached) from left to right is the North Surrey Rec Center. It will be taken down eventually and rebuilt.

See the following expression of interest document explaining part of the plan.

http://www.naiopvcr.com/media/22847/...f_interest.pdf

It looks like the plan is to develop a full project for that section of the block where it and the transit exchange sit. So it won't just be a new rec center (60,000 square feet) but 1 to 1.2 million square feet of additional of mixed use residential, business, and retail ultimately completing the "square" from 102 to 104th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley