HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
Closed account

^^ Neat map! I see you added Bratina's Rail Trail link as well! I really like that idea, but I think it needs to be extended to Rymal to meet up w/ the (soon-to-be) Rymal route & maybe a commuter pkng lot for those in Glanbrook area.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:46 PM
Closed account

IMO we should push for the modern streetcars:

http://www.skoda.cz/darkblue/produkt...2P1T1K61ID5586

Read about their advantages over LRT in terms of vehicle size (8 feet), cost of construction (shallow slab) along with still providing an LRT service in it's own lanes, lights etc....

http://world.nycsubway.org/us/portland/streetcar.html

We'd be building a 'rapid streetcar' line:

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_lrt_2007-02a.htm

Portland uses the 3-section vehicle. I'd suggest we use the 5-section.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:00 PM
Closed account

i guess i've been using the term LRT in a very general sense, including steetcars in that category. so, what's the difference? speed? cost? capacity?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:02 PM
Closed account

The mayor posted on the Hallmarks blog and wants LRT for the lower city.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ Neat map! I see you added Bratina's Rail Trail link as well! I really like that idea, but I think it needs to be extended to Rymal to meet up w/ the (soon-to-be) Rymal route & maybe a commuter pkng lot for those in Glanbrook area.
yes i did. when bob says jump i say, 'how high?' seriously though, it would be a good idea to extend it to rymal. i had it terminate at mohawk 'cause i didn't know what else to do with it. also, the same thing could be done on the west mountain using the old radial route to ancaster and beyond.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
IMO we should push for the modern streetcars:

http://www.skoda.cz/darkblue/produkt...2P1T1K61ID5586

Read about their advantages over LRT in terms of vehicle size (8 feet), cost of construction (shallow slab) along with still providing an LRT service in it's own lanes, lights etc....

http://world.nycsubway.org/us/portland/streetcar.html

We'd be building a 'rapid streetcar' line:

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_lrt_2007-02a.htm

Portland uses the 3-section vehicle. I'd suggest we use the 5-section.
I think something of this size should be perfect for Hamilton (from Wikipedia)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:04 PM
Closed account

^^ To be honest, that may be a little big. The cars wouldn't fill up.

I think they need a train 2 or 3 cars long every 10 mins, just like the B-Line w/ the Artic-Hybrid Buses. They seem to be the perfect size MOST of the time. Rush hour, however, could use 3 cars.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ To be honest, that may be a little big. The cars wouldn't fill up.

I think they need a train 2 or 3 cars long every 10 mins, just like the B-Line w/ the Artic-Hybrid Buses. They seem to be the perfect size MOST of the time. Rush hour, however, could use 3 cars.
dream big i guess. More space, less crushloading equals a better riding experience for those just 'testing' the system to see what it's like. I think an oversized tram or whatever would be appropriate. We're looking to take supposedly 20% of vehicles off the road. I think that would supply more than enough passengers to fill a vehicle like that at peak times.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
dream big i guess. More space, less crushloading equals a better riding experience for those just 'testing' the system to see what it's like. I think an oversized tram or whatever would be appropriate. We're looking to take supposedly 20% of vehicles off the road. I think that would supply more than enough passengers to fill a vehicle like that at peak times.
Good point! I'm just worried about the bureaucrats being all "Well why would we need THAT many cars!? Our ridership isn't even that high... BRT IT IS!"

And the more I actually look at that pic, I guess it's a decent size. Pretty much the size of 1.5 Artic Buses.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 4:02 PM

That thing would fill up at Mac no problem.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:53 PM

I am saying that would be perfect for B-line or even if they combined 1 King to use lrt as well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here's a picture I cut out from a Transportation Plan awhile ago. Gives an idea about the transit median for Upper James and Main St West, Longwood to McMaster University.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 1:17 AM
Closed account

way more people will use this than BRT. we'll need much bigger vehicles for LRT.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 9:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Transit debate rages on
Ken Mann
4/14/2008

Hamilton politicians have had a tentative first look at options for the future of transit.

They've decided to gather public input into the concepts or light rail and rapid bus transit, before making any decisions about push forward with either idea.

Both options would result in lanes be closed off to motorists on some of the city's busiest streets, something that doesn't sit well with Ancaster's Lloyd Ferguson.

He predicts a "rebellion", on the part of those who pay the bulk of the taxes in our community.

The debate is happening now, in large part because of the availability of federal and provincial funding for transit projects. The goal would be to reduce private automobile use by 20% in future decades.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 9:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

All right time to begin probably one of the greatest and most important debate of our time!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 9:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

So lets say there's a vote for approval for the Rapid Transit Office to officially endorse LRT for the B-Line which councilors do you think would support it?

For sure definitely.....
Bob Bratina
Brian McHattie
Sam Merulla
Mayor Fred

Likely support LRT for B-Line
Chad Collins
Bernie Morelli
Tom Jackson
Brad Clark

Unsure
Scott Duvall
Terry Whitehead
Maria Pearson
Russ Powers
Robert Pasuta

Likely against LRT
Margaret McCarthy
David L. Mitchell
Lloyd Ferguson

Need 8 votes to pass a majority.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 9:56 PM
Closed account

please put a muzzle on Lloyd Ferguson during this debate. he's such an idiot.
Go biking with Mitchell you loser.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 10:28 PM

I went to the meeting today and there were some depressing moments. Hard to gauge the overall feeling. A couple REALLY against ANY transit that takes car lanes away, and a couple REALLY getting behind LRT. Most still have lots of questions, which is understandable because the report was very generic and left a lot out.

Amazing, 2 councillors voted AGAINST gathering info from the public. I just don't understand that attitude. I can understand some people not seeing the advantages of LRT, but to be against RESEARCHING it!??

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Please don't turn this into an urban vs. suburban bickering fest, we'll waste pages of back and forth nonsense. Lloyd has his opinion and hopefully he's a minority, which I think he is. All news sources have to cover the other side.

Anyways I emailed Whitehead so I'm waiting for his reply. Hopefully it's good.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 10:35 PM

btw there is a light rail meeting at frwy cafe tuesday night (tomorrow apr 15)

I highly recommend checking it out. I have not been to one in quite some time, but now is a good time to get (back) into it.

We should all arm ourselves with as much info as possible and just start spreading it to anyone who will listen. We will have to start counteracting the stream of inaccuracies that are bound to flow from all the studies that come to light which will probably favour brt.

I still can't believe the initial report claims LRT costs the same per passenger mile to operate as BRT. Everything else I have read suggests LRT is cheaper in the long run to operate... and that's at gas rpices that are usually a couple years old. Even at current diesel prices, BRT must be significantly more operationally, and getting worse by the year... To me, this point alone is enough to favour LRT, especially if the province is going to lay down cash for the initial installation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure