HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You've always had a good eye for these types of "Canadian subtleties". And of course, as you likely know, Montreal and Gatineau are the most familiar parts of Quebec to someone from other parts of Canada. So it gives one an idea.

Even though I spoke French, as a young person from outside Quebec, even Montreal and Gatineau definitely felt different from the places I was accustomed to. In precisely the way you describe.
Yes, but in a way its like that in different regions of Canada at least for me. When I was in my early 20's I went to eastern Quebec and the Maritimes for the first time. Going across Quebec I actually felt that Quebec is 3 regions,
and the north (which I did not go to but we all know it is different). Montreal and the areas bordering Ontario, Quebec City east to the NB border and the area in the middle.

The eastern parts (from Quebec City to the NB border felt more inline with the Maritimes which were much more foreign to me than I would have expected. Eastern Quebec and the Maritimes just seemed more like each other and quite different than Alberta. Things like being in a small town on Cape Breton Island with different accents, outlooks, dancing, fiddlers with the town congregating in a hall for a party. It was something that felt completely foreign yet very much in tune with eastern Quebec. Of course there were something's I was very familiar with but they seemed like one region markedly different than Alberta and also with the areas of Quebec I was familiar with.

Eastern Ontario is basically an extension of Montreal and Western Quebec so to me they felt more familiar to each other than the eastern part of the province. In fact Montreal and Western Quebec are more similar and familiar to me as an Edmontonian than New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.

For some reason places like Sherbrooke or Trois-Riviere seemed like small town Ontario with a twist.

Maybe that was just my experience. Thoughts on this Acajack and Lio

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Yes, but in a way its like that in different regions of Canada at least for me. When I was in my early 20's I went to eastern Quebec and the Maritimes for the first time. Going across Quebec I actually felt that Quebec is 3 regions,
and the north (which I did not go to but we all know it is different). Montreal and the areas bordering Ontario, Quebec City east to the NB border and the area in the middle.

The eastern parts (from Quebec City to the NB border felt more inline with the Maritimes which were much more foreign to me than I would have expected. Eastern Quebec and the Maritimes just seemed more like each other and quite different than Alberta. Things like being in a small town on Cape Breton Island with different accents, outlooks, dancing, fiddlers with the town congregating in a hall for a party. It was something that felt completely foreign yet very much in tune with eastern Quebec. Of course there were something's I was very familiar with but they seemed like one region markedly different than Alberta and also with the areas of Quebec I was familiar with.

Eastern Ontario is basically an extension of Montreal and Western Quebec so to me they felt more familiar to each other than the eastern part of the province. In fact Montreal and Western Quebec are more similar and familiar to me as an Edmontonian than New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.

For some reason places like Sherbrooke or Trois-Riviere seemed like small town Ontario with a twist.

Maybe that was just my experience. Thoughts on this Acajack and Lio
Human groupings (including but not limited to societies, countries, etc.) are comprised of multiple concentric circles which frequently overlap.

In the case of Canada, there are things that almost all Canadians share simply by virtue of living in Canada. The iconic cultural position occupied by the sport of ice hockey is probably the best example of this.

(I am going to use the term "only" here, but it doesn't mean there aren't some exceptions.)

Moving in on your question, there are number of cultural traits, tenets or reference markers that are "French Canada only". Stuff that someone in Hearst would have in common with someone in Chicoutimi or Caraquet. There is actually a lot of stuff covered by this category. A lot of what is often labelled "Québécois" could in fact be labelled "French Canadian". But, as with all such things, it's complicated. Within this group, humour and comedians who produce it are largely interchangeable, most music both traditional and popular travels across provincial borders seamlessly, traditional cuisine is quite similar even though things diverge a bit in Acadia as you get further away from border with Quebec. Still, there is a huge degree of commonality.

There is also "Quebec only" stuff that francophones outside Quebec can't relate to unless they've really spent lots of time in Quebec or with Quebecers. For example, Quebec's school system is somewhat different and so the coming of age period takes place on a slightly different schedule in Quebec because of where they are at in their schooling at which age, and the accompanying freedoms that go along with that. In this respect, Quebecers both francophone and anglophone often have more in common with each other than with their language peers in the rest of the country. This is a good example of how a purely administrative border makes a bit of a difference in the way people are.

Anglophone Quebecers IMO are also somewhat more similar to francophones from their province when it comes to attitudes about booze, sex, drugs, etc., than they are to other Canadians. Francophones outside Quebec are generally more similar to their anglophone neighbours in this respect as well.

When you think about it, there is a considerable amount of stuff that Anglo-Canadians share with Americans that they don't really share with Québécois, and there is even some stuff that Anglo-Canadians share with the British (or maybe Commonwealth countries in general) but not with Americans.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 7:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

She is adorable.

This Is the Most Remote and Magical Hotel on Earth

Quote:
In the spring, you’ll spot glaciers floating south from Greenland.

The ocean crashes on the rocks as I kick up my feet on a leather ottoman and dig into the welcome basket left for me: warm, handmade bread served with butter and molasses. I’ve never heard of the combination before, but as the slow, sweet syrup drips down my fingers, all I can wonder is what took me so long to try it.

A Ski-Doo turns out to be like a motorcycle built for snow.

“The idea of the inn was the easy part,” she says. She found inspiration in the Basque country, which celebrates its cod-fishing heritage in design, and in Japanese ryokans, where quiet precision is elevated to an art form. At the same time, her travels showed her how much of the world had been flattened by commerce—one joyless strip mall after another. If she has a religion, she says, it’s the sacredness of place.

“We have sacrificed so much richness in the name of efficiency and speed,” she says. She sees Western rootlessness as one of the sources of our unhappiness. We’re always moving around, breaking with our past, starting over, reinventing. The same with furniture, objects, homes: Buy, use, discard, start over again, as though disposal were the point, not preservation.
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-fogo-island-inn/

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
She is adorable.

This Is the Most Remote and Magical Hotel on Earth

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-fogo-island-inn/
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It is lovely.

This bit seems to be what's stayed with me over the past couple of days:

Quote:
Ferg tells the story of a big-time business guy who visited from Los Angeles not so long ago. As a glorious sunset fanned across the sky, the businessman said to Ferg, “You don’t see it, do you?” Ferg wasn’t sure. It’s taken other people coming here for him to see what’s special about this place, and it’s taken him staying here for those people to get a chance to experience it so fully. It’s a mutually sustaining system, each party helping the other to be more awake.
That's one of the benefits of travel, though often only for the traveler.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It is lovely.

This bit seems to be what's stayed with me over the past couple of days:

That's one of the benefits of travel, though often only for the traveler.
I'm not exactly sure what that quote means, but you can be sure that if I was shelling out $1200 a night for a hotel, I'd remain fully awake and aware of EVERYTHING!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It just means that you tend not to notice what's special about your familiar surroundings. What you won't even turn your head to see, can take a visitor's breath away and captivate them. Often it's only by traveling to other places yourself, or showing visitors your home, that these things start to stand out to you.

She's pointing out this is a reciprocal thing that benefits the locals as much as the tourists.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Standard's take on us.

St. John's, Canada: how to spend a weekend in the Newfoundland capital

Quote:
Squint a little and you could be in San Francisco. The brightly painted “jelly bean row” of crayon-coloured Victorian houses on the hills around St John’s Harbour often draws comparisons between the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador province and the Californian city.

Yet that’s where the similarities end, as cultural crossovers are a little closer to home — from a distinct Irish brogue in the local accent to St John’s geographical location as the most easterly point in North America: closer to Europe than it is to parts of Canada.

Rugged and beautiful, the island of Newfoundland has become even easier to access from London thanks to Canadian budget airline WestJet’s new direct flights between Gatwick and St John’s — a five-hour journey.

The oldest city in North America might seem familiar but it marches to the beat of its own quirky drum. Newfoundland has a unique 30-minute time difference from the rest of Canada and the former British colony only joined the confederation in 1949. Throughout the province there is a proliferation of pink, white and green; the tricolours of an unofficial “Republic of Newfoundland” flag. Summer brings an abundance of whales and icebergs to St John’s, but they are just the tip of what this charming city has to offer.

Bed down: rock on

Opened last year, the downtown Jag hotel (001 844 564 1524; steelehotels.com) is named after Mick Jagger and features rock’n’roll memorabilia scattered tastefully throughout. Vinyl adorns the walls of the 84 minimalist bedrooms and framed photos dominate the restaurant: most pieces come from the local hotel chain’s owner John Steele’s private collection. Little local touches in the rooms include Ossetra’s range of beauty products, which are made with iceberg water. Doubles from C$175 (£100), room only.

Fed and watered: slow cooking and yellowbellies

Take a hike out to Quidi Vidi Village to try iceberg beer at Quidi Vidi Brewery (001 709 722 7373; quidividibrewery.ca) and then follow your nose to Mallard Cottage (001 709 237 7314; mallardcottage.ca). Restored by Newfoundlander chef Todd Perrin, the 250-year-old cottage is now home to his cosy restaurant, and he can often be found outside prodding the smoker as it bellows out mouth-watering smells of slow-cooking meat.

Fill up on fresh quiche for brunch or go nuts at the dessert table, then burn it off with a trek back downtown along the lake — or continue on the East Coast Trail to pick berries with locals. Look out for early summer bakeapples (wild cloudberries) and later plump blueberries, bitter partridge berries and wild cranberries that carpet the hillsides.

Back in town, Bacalao (001 709 579 6565; bacalaocuisine.ca) serves up fresh seafood and “nouvelle Newfoundland cuisine”, such as chef Matt McDonald’s take on a traditional Jigg’s Dinner — a deconstructed version of the island’s meat-and-veg stew that comes with a pot liquor shooter. Get a berry fix with local fruit wine or a (non-alcoholic) local seasonal berry fizz.

Jeremy Charles is the local lad done good who has put St John’s on the culinary map. His fine-dining restaurant Raymond’s attracted attention and his newest venture Merchant Tavern (001 709 722 5050; merchanttavern.ca) secured his celebrity when it opened last year.

Tuck into local scallops and snow crab from the raw bar menu, follow it up with an elevated French-flavoured comfort food such as duck confit and finish off the meal with the popular vinegar pie — an unlikely-sounding dessert developed during the 1920s when luxuries, like lemon curd, were harder to come by.

Nobody is going thirsty in St John’s — George Street lays claim to having the most pubs per mile in the world. Head underneath the Yellowbelly Brewery building (001 709 757 3784; yellowbellybrewery.com) to discover The UnderBelly: a speakeasy-style stone basement that was reconstructed in 1846 and survived the Great Fire in 1892.

Scour the shelves of whisky, port and rum or try the local “screech” rum, which originates from the days when cod was traded for booze in Jamaica and Newfoundlanders developed a taste for the spirit. Visit the pub upstairs to try Fighting Irish Red Ale; named after the 19th-century “yellowbelly” Irish immigrants from County Wexford, who wore yellow sashes and would brawl in the streets outside the pub.

In the bag: arts and crafts

Quidi Vidi is a picturesque fishing village around 45 minutes’ walk from downtown. It’s home to the waterfront Quidi Vidi Village Plantation (qvvplantation.com; closed Mondays May-Oct): a modern artisan hub. Pick up a Japanese-inspired woodcut from Graham Blair and chat to him as he hand-carves the maple blocks that he uses to print his work, or take home a modern piece of Newfoundland in the form of a cool screenprinted whale cushion made by Anna Murphy. The resident artists all have an interesting yarn about how they ended up in St John’s, whether they come from afar or grew up in the city.

Cultural agenda: history lesson

Wander up Signal Hill, a strategic site where the first transatlantic communications were received, or visit Cabot Tower, named after John Cabot, who sailed here from Bristol and “discovered” the New World.

Standing proud on the hillside overlooking St John’s Harbour, The Rooms (001 709 757 8090; therooms.ca; closed Mondays until June 1) is an impressive archive, art gallery and museum that tells the story of the people who shaped the province, from First Nations and French visitors, to English fishermen and Irish settlers. With mesmerising views of the harbour, a buzzing café and quiet corners to sit and reflect, it’s easy to lose a couple of hours exploring the exhibits here.

DETAILS ST JOHN'S

St John’s, Newfoundland, is a direct five-hour flight from Heathrow with Air Canada (aircanada.com), or from Gatwick with WestJet (westjet.com).
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...-a3249341.html

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 9:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yay - my favourite U.S. city, and my favourite trail.

Via Boston Globe:

The best trail you’ve likely never heard of is on Canada’s east coast

Quote:
If breakfast says a lot about a place, St. John’s offered fortitude. Salted cod cakes, fried eggs, butter-drenched toast and a touton (savory fried dough) filled my steaming plate at the Celtic Hearth. In Canada’s Eastern Provinces, even summer days can bring stinging winds, wild seas, and bracing chills. So it made sense that Newfoundlanders have made hunger the easiest predicament to quell.

“No one is going to go hungry,” we assured each other in preparation for the East Coast Trail. With a group of women, I was embarking for a week on this world-class hiking route. Together we sorted great mounds of dried food and energy bars, skimming excess weight from our packs, though in truth these comestibles were mostly traded like lunch box treats.

Thru-hiking is going mainstream. Record numbers of backpackers have been crowding the Pacific Coast and Appalachian trails thanks to “Wild” and “A Walk in the Woods.” Yet, despite recognition by National Geographic as one of the world’s best adventure destinations, Newfoundland’s East Coast Trail remains virtually unknown to Americans.

The 165-mile trail connects 30 communities, from Cape St. Frances north of St. John’s to Cappahayden on the southern shore, with plans to mark trails even further south. It follows the rocky coast, through villages settled by Irish and West Country English, abandoned settlements, lighthouses, and historic sights. Though there’s nothing overly technical about the trail, the topographic maps denote a constant tide of ups and downs.

Just a year before, while we were still strangers, the trek was arranged as a collective experience after a writing conference in St. John’s. We planned to hike the Avalon Peninsula 57 miles from Blackhead, outside St. John’s, to just beyond La Manche Provincial Park. We left a food drop in Witless Bay, a midway stop where we would take a day off to watch puffins from a boat tour in the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve and sleep in a B&B.

We had no guide but a stack of East Coast Trail topographical maps and the advice of local Carolyn Cook, an avid hiker and trail runner who knew the route in all seasons. In our group were 11 women from the US, Canada, South Africa, and Somalia, ranging in age from our thirties to our fifties. Two were poets, the rest were writers with specialties as diverse as science fiction and travel. About a third of us were experienced hikers and backpackers. Most had been training for the adventure.

For me the trip was a bit of a test. Though I am an experienced hiker, an injury had kept me from backpacking for several years. Could I carry 35 pounds for a week? Craving the feeling of being out on the trail, I did my physical therapy and went buoyed along on the enthusiasm of the others. The first step was walking to breakfast, shouldering my load past the rainbow houses of Jelly Bean row, through streets pitched steeply toward the container ships and oil rigs anchored in the harbor.

St. John’s wooden row houses and shady streets would not be out of place in New England, and certainly the craggy coves were a double take of Maine. But there was something wilder here. Captain James Cook, who would later earn fame circumnavigating the globe, honed his skills surveying Newfoundland’s jigsaw coastline in the 1760s.

A shuttle van dropped us off at Blackhead to avoid the highway heading out of the city. On the trail we found not another soul. There was birdsong, the rhythm of boots striking roots and rocks, and my own breath as I humped up hills shod in tuckamore, the wind-stunted forests common to these high latitudes.

By midday we reached one of Newfoundland’s main attractions. Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America, is a rocky headland with a clapboard lighthouse overlooking a luminous streak of cobalt sea. From 1836, it’s the province’s oldest lighthouse. There’s a palpable spirit of promise in its reach. It’s just 1952 miles across the north Atlantic to Ireland, which turns out to be closer than Montreal. The site served as a gun battery during WWII, with underground passages and bunkers defending one of the allied forces’ essential ocean convoy routes.

Now it was jammed with visitors streaming forth from a large parking lot. Despite the breakfast feast, we picnicked, eager to lighten our loads. My remaining cod cake tasted good, though I wished for a spot of hot sauce. Tour buses came and went and two members of our group decided to separate for an easier alternative. We became nine.

The trail south offered some of the easiest walking of the trip, a narrow sloping path through tufted grass lit along the cliff tops. Clouds raced over us and the miles passed. In this perfect patch for daydreaming I hardly noticed the others dawdling, bent over on the trail. They had found something.

Cloudberries, known locally as bakeapples, are tart orange fruit native to Newfoundland. They dissolved in one billowy bite. There were wild strawberries too, tiny and sweet. Though we made poor time to camp, the walk turned out to be one of the most satisfying stretches of the trip.

So we were overconfident the following day when we arrived to the picturesque cove of Petty Harbor for lunch. We lingered over crisp fish and chips, took restroom bird baths and binged on Wi-Fi. Leaving town, our path took us up a steep residential street to a dead end facing a sheer forested bank. “That’s your trail,” assured a homeowner from her deck, before we even asked. She had seen our kind before.

Gaining the windswept barrens required scrambling at times. We hoped the hardest part was over. The heights sprawled before us, symphonic in scale and dotted with tiny inland ponds and solitary boulders perched above the grey Atlantic. While the terrain had evened out, it was far too exposed for camping. That meant that there was still far to go. So we pushed on to Motion Path, managing to startle an enormous bull moose grazing in a stream bed before descending Hartes Point ridge and its cascade of slick rock terraces that demanded solid footing on slanted rock.

The group spread out and the day dissolved into night. It took several trips with a headlamp to help the last stragglers through the final bout of scree and into camp. I was beginning to see what Captain Cook had been up against.

Rain settled in for several days, slipping a veil over the landscape. For us it was a layer of mystery. We made quiet progress over creaking boardwalks shouldered in grey mist, never knowing what lay ahead. From the fog emerged pink rhododendron blooms and shadowy forms of giant sea stacks, slick daggers plunged into the rushing surf. The whoosh of the north Atlantic was constant.

Newfoundland’s rich folklore is peopled with fairies, woodland tricksters who remain unseen by most. Walking in a sunlit forest covered in tiny goldthread blooms, it was hard not to feel like intruders in their world. When looking for a campsite, the heath swallowed my leg up to the hip. Tent stakes vanished. While we never directly blamed them, the fairies were ever present in our musings over these misfortunes.

Then, one wet morning my friend Wendy and I lost track of trail markers while deep in conversation. We considered doubling back but continued along a beach where we thought we saw a sign. But it was just a slightly stale offering on a flat rock: a paper plate holding a dozen hotdogs dressed in mustard. We photographed it to ensure it was not a mirage. It seemed to say that we were on the right track. We respected the fairies but left their offerings. Those stories about them never turned out well.

Most of the trail produces adequate signage so getting lost isn’t a problem. Each section is divided into day hikes with signs at town trailheads for taxi services. Amongst the most popular stretches are the Spout path, named for a geyser-like feature where surf blasts skyward through a rock channel, and bucolic Tors Cove. In Freshwater Bay, wild grasses and rosehips have reclaimed the stone foundations and garden walls of the former fishing village, a site used as early as the 1500’s. It’s one of many abandoned settlements along the Newfoundland coast.

The East Coast Trail is also a story of changing economies. Though Newfoundlanders have always pegged their settlements to the coast, the trail was created two years after Newfoundland’s fishing industry had tanked following the 1992 cod fishing moratorium. The idea came from a West Coast transplant who imagined a complement to Vancouver’s popular West Coast Trail.

Volunteers carved out the first 78 miles. Eventually, the provincial and federal government responded with most of the funding and the trail was formalized. Despite having little public support at first, thru-hiking offered a vision for a nascent industry. Fast forward twenty years and tourism has become a billion-dollar industry for the province, with the East Coast Trail contributing 3.5 million Canadian dollars annually, according to the latest survey (2013).

Carrying an assortment of aches, we arrived to La Manche Provincial Park on our sixth day of walking. Over the past week we had overdosed on oatmeal, camped under saggy, soaked tents, and waded through mud bogs on an inland track to avoid the coast’s wild headwinds. So we were euphoric to cross the 165-foot suspension bridge that heralded Herring Cove like a marathon finish line. We had made a final adjustment to our plans to end the trip here, enjoying a full day to explore the park before hiking out to the trailhead.

It turned out to be the right call. Cupped between two waterfalls, lower La Manche pond makes a picture perfect swimming hole. With little hesitation, we rid ourselves of soaked layers and swam counter-current under the cascade spray, savoring the brutish massage. The following day, several of us explored the trail continuation without backpacks, savoring the ease of the climbs through dense ferns, views of a bald eagle and the final vistas of exposed ridges slammed by sea spray. At sunset a family of five river otters swam under the bridge, fishing and cavorting under our noses.

Though one of us had cut her bare foot at the swimming hole, we were otherwise ending on a high note. We had made it, with blood, sweat, and more laughter than tears. We camped amongst the slate foundations of the former settlement and discussed the highs, the lows, and the things we would do differently: share more gear, skip certain cardboard meals, and bring rum, as one wise woman had. Because there would certainly be a next time.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...75N/story.html

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:13 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Interesting, the East Coast trail must attract lots of visitors, but you wouldn't want it to become too popular as it would change the experience. It's not just Americans who haven't heard of it, probably most Canadians too. I found it a bit odd that they refered to "Vancouver's popular West Coast Trail" since the trail is nowhere near Vancouver, it's on the island, over 130 km and 5 hours away.

Quote:
B.C. tourists flocking from Paris, Mexico

4.9-million visitors came to B.C. in 2015, an increase of 7.9 per cent over 2014
By Yvette Brend, CBC News Posted: May 21, 2016 7:22 PM PT|

Tourists are flocking to B.C. with March visitor totals up nearly 20 per cent compared to last year, says the province.

Many of the extra 50,299 visitors are coming from France and Mexico, part of a trend that's been growing since 2014.

The province credits a low dollar, marketing and new direct flights between Paris and Mexico city, in part, for the tourism boom.

Good conditions at ski resorts also helped.

"International tourists are putting B.C. at the top of their travel lists ... by all accounts, 2016 is off to a fantastic start," said Shirley Bond, minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training.

Visitors are coming from a number of key markets, according to Tourism B.C. statistics:
■France up 51.6%
■Mexico up 45.2%
■U.S. up 20.1%
■Japan up 13.3%
■South Korea up 10.1%
■China up 7.8%
■Germany up 6.2%
■Australia up 4.7%
■India up 2.5%
■United Kingdom up 1.1%
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...aris-1.3594234

Coincidentally, I randomly encountered a French tourist just a few days ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It is popular, but only on the shortest stretches. So many of them are 10, 15 or more kilometres between exits. So people will complete the shortest stretches, or they'll go in so far and back the way they came. If you do a full segment, you might not run into anyone.

Today we passed a mother and her two daughters at La Manche (1.4 km from the trail head to the suspension bridge) and never saw another soul the remaining 10 km to the next exit point.

I think it could stand to be a lot busier. Most of the trail is so raw, too, that a few more footsteps beating the rocks and roots may make it a bit easier. It's very hard on the feet.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:43 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I know people who hike over here every week, even in winter, even in the dark, so I won't pretend to be one, but I like a trail to at least resemble a narrow dirt path, with a solid surface. Walking in boggy vegetation is the most tiring thing I've ever done.

Nfld. gets about 500,000 tourists per year compared to BC's almost 5 million, showing that there is still a vast untapped market out there. Transportation costs are a large part of it as well as exposure and available accommodations.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Crayola gave us a shout out on FB.

This whole "Jellybean Row" thing has really taken off. It's not a street name, nor a single street. I think people are suspecting there are three colourful houses here.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 4:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ooh, the Toronto Star.

St John’s is brimming with tales and the people who tell them

You can’t help but hear good stories when you’re in art-minded St. John’s, Newfoundland.

Quote:
ST. JOHN’S, N.L.—This is a city of storytellers. Writers, actors, musicians, even the cabbie who tells you the word “sex” is spelled in the lights of the city — there are stories and the people who tell them everywhere you look.

In her award-winning novels and short stories, Lisa Moore has written beautifully about her hometown of St. John’s — everything from describing the grit of a downtown alley in Alligator to her high school, Holy Heart of Mary, in her latest book, Flannery. “I tend to write exactly about the places I’ve been in a day and what I’m seeing,” she says from outside Fixed Coffee + Baking on Duckworth St., a popular spot for actors, musicians and writers to drink coffee and fuel their creativity.

“I like to be in public places and capture how people shift and move and the expressions that come over their faces,” says Moore, as she waves at someone walking by. “It’s a great place for research, but don’t tell anyone or I won’t be allowed in.”

Walking down George St., the site of endless late night stories, you’ll hear the band at Rob Roy doing Springsteen, the fellas in Greensleeves belting out some Barenaked Ladies and the crowd over at O’Reilly’s playing traditional music.

But keep walking if you want to catch local bands, such as Green and Gold, Fog Lake or Jonny and the Cowabungas playing at four different bars tucked away in Holdsworth Court.

“It’s a funny spot, it’s not on George St. technically,” says Micah Brown, a musician and co-organizer of the Shed Island music festival held in August in St. John’s. “If you didn’t know it was there, you’d walk right past it, but on any given night there are a couple hundred people up in those bars listening to music.”

But if you want to get “screeched-in” that is, kiss a cod and take a shot of rum, you’ll have to head to a bar on George St.

“It’s sort of like some consensual hazing. It’s a fun tradition,” explains Brown, a P.E.I. native who was screeched-in a few years ago.

“I like to think it started in a kitchen when somebody’s cousin was visiting: ‘Oh, Jeremy from Toronto is up here and if you wanna fit in, you gotta kiss a fish.’”

Note that no Newfoundlander actually kisses a fish. They just watch as mainlanders do.

St. John’s singer/songwriter Joanna Barker, meanwhile, grew up hearing the remarkable story of her great-great-great-grandfather, Michael Power. He was born in Ireland and as a young man he committed a crime of some sort — it could have been stealing a loaf of bread or perhaps it was political.

“The crime is unknown,” says Barker. “It could have been a bar brawl, could have been murder. We don’t know. What we do know is this story.”

The story is he was sentenced to life in prison and sent to Australia. But on the ship on the way over, there was a fierce storm and somehow, Power saved the captain’s wife from drowning. He was rewarded with a pardon. “He escaped a life sentence in prison and started a new life on Bell Island, Newfoundland,” says Barker, who pays tribute to Michael Power in a gorgeous song.

Wondering about “Jellybean Row?”

As a youngster, Geoff Meeker and his buddies would get hassled by the tough kids who lived in the rough houses in downtown St. John’s.

Those tough kids have moved on, replaced by tourists taking pictures of the brightly painted houses on steep streets — known collectively as “Jellybean Row.”

The nickname started in the 1980s, a decade or so after a heritage group started buying up a few run down Victorian houses downtown.

“They fixed one up and gave it nice trim and painted it bright colours and bought the house next to it and did the same thing, but painted it a different bright colour,” says Meeker, the proprietor of Jellybean Row Shop and Gallery on Duckworth St. “It just started spreading by itself, like a cold. Everyone started doing it.”

The bright colours hearken back to earlier days when people who lived in the houses would use up their leftover boat paint.

“Boat paint was bright so it would stand out in the water and what was left would go on the houses,” says Meeker. These days you can count about 150 “Jellybean” houses in downtown St. John’s.
https://www.thestar.com/life/travel/...tell-them.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 3:20 AM

Some new Hamilton promo videos...

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Amusingly, here's a Peggy's Cove themed resort in Thailand: http://www.peggyscoveresort.com/

Kind of like those faux-European neighbourhoods in China. The water is no doubt much less likely to induce hypothermia.

We have previously established that Canada has little or no discernible theme or culture outside of Quebec and (maybe) Newfoundland, however, so this would more accurately be called a "Generic-North-America-outside-of-Quebec-and-maybe-Newfoundland-style resort".

Here's one you can visit in Copenhagen:

http://halifax.dk/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 11:18 PM

^^^ I would think it's named after the original Halifax in the UK, rather than Halifax NS, I could be wrong though.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
^^^ I would think it's named after the original Halifax in the UK, rather than Halifax NS, I could be wrong though.
It's possible but burgers are synonymous with Canada not Britain so it would be very odd for it to be named after the one in the UK.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's possible but burgers are synonymous with Canada not Britain so it would be very odd for it to be named after the one in the UK.
They are?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It's named after the one in NS. It was started by some Danish exchange students who went to Dalhousie.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada